Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: McDermott's Firing
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/...mp;id=113821719

I had forgotten that he was given a vote of confidence a few days before by Reid.

That was strange. I remember thinking at the time, that someone forced Reid' hand in that decision.

Hopefully it wasn't Howie's doing!
Zero
Seems like the Eagles did talk to McD about HC.
"It was very preliminary in terms of our conversation. Spoke to (top personnel executive) Howie Roseman, he wanted to gauge where I was and my feelings on the job," McDermott said. "I appreciated that."
The Franchise
I wonder if McD will let Reid/Howie/Lurie borrow his ring for some instagram photos after Sunday?
mcnabbulous
Reid has a ring. I don't know why he'd care about borrowing McDermott's.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 2 2016, 02:36 PM) *
Reid has a ring. I don't know why he'd care about borrowing McDermott's.

laugh.gif

Right, I forgot he got his participation award ring for coaching GB's o-line that one year.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 2 2016, 12:41 PM) *
laugh.gif

Right, I forgot he got his participation award ring for coaching GB's o-line that one year.

That's basically as valuable as McDermott's role as the figure head for Rivera's defense and Cam's domination.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 2 2016, 02:00 PM) *
That's basically as valuable as McDermott's role as the figure head for Rivera's defense and Cam's domination.

No, it's significantly different and you're in denial because your man crushes never win shit. He's one of the best defensive minds in the game, and his track record proves this. He's about to head an 18-1 defense, winning a ring in the process. You're still finding excuses for Belicheck's 4 rings. Get over yourself.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 2 2016, 02:00 PM) *

Now before you get carried away.....do you know how much hands on Rivera is with his defense?

Holmgren was an offensive coach....but you can't seriously compare the 2 coaching situations with Reid as an OL coach and McDermott as a DC......you make a complete supposition....unless you have some proof....like their beat writers saying that it is Rivera's baby...certainly he influences it but even then, the 2 can't be compared.
mcnabbulous
Literally no one believes McDermott is one of the best defensive minds in football. If that were the case, teams would be lining up to interview the guy.

He definitely influences the Panther's defense. That's why we see so many times where linebackers are covering wide receivers. It works when you have Keuchly and Thomas Davis, so I'll give him credit for that. We saw how effective it was in Philly when he was running the worst red zone defense in NFL history.

I was being facetious before, but I really don't think McDermott is an impressive coach. Rivera is an excellent defensive mind. The fact that the only franchises that cared to even interview the guy were TB and Cleveland tell me how highly thought of he is league wide.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 2 2016, 03:33 PM) *
I was being facetious before, but I really don't think McDermott is an impressive coach. Rivera is an excellent defensive mind. The fact that the only franchises that cared to even interview the guy were TB and Cleveland tell me how highly thought of he is league wide.

There were 7 openings, and he was interviewed by 2 of them. That's bad to you? How many teams interviewed Chip Kelly, or Doug Pederson? I don't think the Titans even interviewed Kelly, though their franchise QB spent his college years under him.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 2 2016, 01:52 PM) *
There were 7 openings, and he was interviewed by 2 of them. That's bad to you? How many teams interviewed Chip Kelly, or Doug Pederson? I don't think the Titans even interviewed Kelly, though their franchise QB spent his college years under him.

By your standard, being interviewed by two teams is better than being hired by one?

Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 2 2016, 02:33 PM) *
I really don't think McDermott is an impressive coach. Rivera is an excellent defensive mind.

I tend to agree. However, the one thing you can say about McD is that he has learned on the job. He's certainly a better coach now than he was with Philly (as should be expected). It is surprising that he didn't receive more attention for a HC position. Then again, some coaches are better off as coordinator's rather than head coach; Wade Phillips is a prime example.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 2 2016, 04:09 PM) *
By your standard, being interviewed by two teams is better than being hired by one?

I'm interested in your standards, I don't pretend to know the inner workings of NFL hiring merry-go-rounds. I think being interviewed by 2 teams is impressive. Being hired by one is impressive too, even if it's by Jed York. Personally, another year in Carolina as DC going for a title is better to me than cleaning up the mess in SF.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 2 2016, 02:19 PM) *
I'm interested in your standards, I don't pretend to know the inner workings of NFL hiring merry-go-rounds. I think being interviewed by 2 teams is impressive. Being hired by one is impressive too, even if it's by Jed York. Personally, another year in Carolina as DC going for a title is better to me than cleaning up the mess in SF.

My standard involves recognizing that being the DC for a SB winning team means absolutely jack shit, especially when coaching beneath a defensive head coach.

Do you know the last SB winning DC to turn into even a respectable HC? I'll save you the time. It's Marvin Lewis from the 2000 Ravens.

The last time it before that? 1990 and Belichick (who's pre Tom Brady struggles are pretty well documented).

The bottom line, it's irrelevant.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 2 2016, 05:11 PM) *
My standard involves recognizing that being the DC for a SB winning team means absolutely jack shit, especially when coaching beneath a defensive head coach.

Do you know the last SB winning DC to turn into even a respectable HC? I'll save you the time. It's Marvin Lewis from the 2000 Ravens.

The last time it before that? 1990 and Belichick (who's pre Tom Brady struggles are pretty well documented).

The bottom line, it's irrelevant.

Cool story - I can cherry pick stats too. 9 of the last 14 SB winners have been defensive coaches. I don't know what you do for a living, but I imagine you could get hired as an Eagles consultant is you think winning a SB is irrelevant. Maybe McD would suck as a head coach, maybe he would be great - but one thing is for sure, he's about to do something your offensive 'geniuses' will never do.
bwc2112
Keep talking , Riveara and the Carolina Panthers are in the Superbowl. We are not. End result!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Feb 2 2016, 02:33 PM) *
Literally no one believes McDermott is one of the best defensive minds in football. If that were the case, teams would be lining up to interview the guy.

He definitely influences the Panther's defense. That's why we see so many times where linebackers are covering wide receivers. It works when you have Keuchly and Thomas Davis, so I'll give him credit for that. We saw how effective it was in Philly when he was running the worst red zone defense in NFL history.

Much like Ron Rivera was not responsible for the Bears defense when he was the DC under Lovie Smith?

No one is claiming that McDermott is one of the best defensive minds in football.....but you directly challenged whether he is responsible for any of the defensive success in Carolina.

I don't think the Eagles were a good landing spot for him due to their shared history...it is hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube and his time here ended badly for whatever reason....something both Howie and Lurie are well aware of..how the beat writers did not know that is unfathomable.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Feb 2 2016, 07:18 PM) *
Much like Ron Rivera was not responsible for the Bears defense when he was the DC under Lovie Smith?

I wouldn't have hired him to run my franchise based on that alone. No.
No one is claiming that McDermott is one of the best defensive minds in football.....but you directly challenged whether he is responsible for any of the defensive success in Carolina.

You may want to more carefully read this thread. That's exactly what was claimed.

I don't think the Eagles were a good landing spot for him due to their shared history...it is hard to put the toothpaste back in the tube and his time here ended badly for whatever reason....something both Howie and Lurie are well aware of..how the beat writers did not know that is unfathomable.

Our FO made the right call.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Feb 2 2016, 05:17 PM) *
Cool story - I can cherry pick stats too. 9 of the last 14 SB winners have been defensive coaches. I don't know what you do for a living, but I imagine you could get hired as an Eagles consultant is you think winning a SB is irrelevant. Maybe McD would suck as a head coach, maybe he would be great - but one thing is for sure, he's about to do something your offensive 'geniuses' will never do.

If we had a QB, I'd be all for hiring a defensive head coach. Until that time, we need to develop a QB.

The only coaches who have won SBs without legit star QBs in the past 20 years have been offensive minds. You either need a great QB and defensive coach or great defense and offensive coach based on recent history.

Like I said, "offensive genius" Andy already has a ring. I don't want to start this thread over again.
mcnabbulous
Gotta feel bad for McDermott. He had the curse of HouseOPain not knowing shit about football.

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/xlkgp
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.