Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just got a text from Eagles
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
Duce Staley...IDK, doubt he is a serious candidate, but if it is to fulfill a requirement then it looks like Hue Jackson might be off the table.
JeeQ
It's unlike the Eagles to hire from within like this wink.gif

Sounds like they just interviewed him to check off the Rooney rule though
Eyrie
I doubt that he is considered to be a realistic candidate but equally I don't think his interview was a token nod to the Rooney Rule. It's more likely to be about giving him further interview experience, which he will need if not kept on and regardless will be useful when he goes for a co-ordinator position.
The Franchise
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Jan 2 2016, 03:26 PM) *
Sounds like they just interviewed him to check off the Rooney rule though

My thoughts as well - waste yours and someone else's time interviewing them solely because of their skin color for a job you have no intention of ever giving them, in order to make a couple condescending assholes in power feel good about themselves. Yay tolerance!
Zero
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 2 2016, 03:36 PM) *
My thoughts as well - waste yours and someone else's time interviewing them solely because of their skin color for a job you have no intention of ever giving them, in order to make a couple condescending assholes in power feel good about themselves. Yay tolerance!

Or, you could take the view that they've identified Duce as a coach who has the ability to move ahead and not only gave him the opportunity to put an interview on his resume, but gave him a chance to actually go through the process. It's normally called experience. They're telling the NFL that he is a man who should be considered for promotion. If he should leave the team in the shake up they've given him a recommendation.

For some reason, it continually surprises me how some people find it so easy to recite negative propaganda rather than actually thinking things through. Taking your view is like saying Duce is allowing himself to be a tool, just a poor dumb RB who'll jump at any crumbs thrown his way. I think Duce has more intelligence and pride than to do that and I find your view insulting to him.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 2 2016, 06:11 PM) *
For some reason, it continually surprises me how some people find it so easy to recite negative propaganda rather than actually thinking things through. Taking your view is like saying Duce is allowing himself to be a tool, just a poor dumb RB who'll jump at any crumbs thrown his way. I think Duce has more intelligence and pride than to do that and I find your view insulting to him.

Well, clearly the majority of the board doesn't consider him a realistic candidate, as he isn't - so why interview him? Oh, right. Unfortunately, I'm not surprised at all that many people don't find the Rooney Rule condescending and insulting.

It's a tough business with tons of competition, so of course he'd take the interview. So would I. I'm sure Lurie and the Gang are patting themselves on the back right now.
Zero
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 2 2016, 06:49 PM) *
Well, clearly the majority of the board doesn't consider him a realistic candidate, as he isn't - so why interview him? Oh, right. Unfortunately, I'm not surprised at all that many people don't find the Rooney Rule condescending and insulting.

It's a tough business with tons of competition, so of course he'd take the interview. So would I. I'm sure Lurie and the Gang are patting themselves on the back right now.

The Rooney rule is not unlike Affirmative Action. A bad idea precipitated by a worse situation that needs to be corrected.

It's presumptive and insulting to suggest they interviewed him because he's black instead of giving HIM the benefit of doubt that he's an up and coming coaching talent that could benefit from a positive reference from a long time employer. It's one thing to be quick to criticise a rich guy and his corporation but an entirely different thing to miss so badly that you're really hitting the one you're apparently trying to defend. We should all be happy that 22 is being recognized as not only a grunt who could play the game pretty well, but a man who apparently has leadership skills, teaching ability and the requisite intelligence to be a high level coach.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 2 2016, 07:01 PM) *
We should all be happy that 22 is being recognized as not only a grunt who could play the game pretty well, but a man who apparently has leadership skills, teaching ability and the requisite intelligence to be a high level coach.

I've always liked Duce, I'd be happy for him if he got a promotion here or elsewhere. I'd also be happier if we didn't have to assume that the Rooney Rule is why he's being interviewed. Again, I'm clearly not alone in this thought.
Eyrie
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Jan 3 2016, 12:05 AM) *
I've always liked Duce, I'd be happy for him if he got a promotion here or elsewhere. I'd also be happier if we didn't have to assume that the Rooney Rule is why he's being interviewed. Again, I'm clearly not alone in this thought.

There are more realistic candidates than Staley (Hue Jackson, David Shaw) if the sole intention is a tokenist nod to the Rooney Rule, therefore it is insulting to Staley to assume that is the reason for his interview.

Both Zero and myself have already provided a better explanation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.