Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My dream offseason
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Includes hiring Gase, signing Manning, and drafting Hackenberg (assuming he comes out, which I expect).

Allow Peyton to tutor Hack for a year.

A lot of people hate Hackenberg. Those people are idiots. He's one of the few guys in college football who have actually read defenses pre and post snap in recent seasons. He has to clean up some footwork issues which have caused mid range accuracy problems, but he is going to be a star.

Playing on ESPN against a very good Georgia defense starting now (noon ET).
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 2 2016, 12:04 PM) *
Includes hiring Gase, signing Manning, and drafting Hackenberg (assuming he comes out, which I expect).

Allow Peyton to tutor Hack for a year.

A lot of people hate Hackenberg. Those people are idiots. He's one of the few guys in college football who have actually read defenses pre and post snap in recent seasons. He has to clean up some footwork issues which have caused mid range accuracy problems, but he is going to be a star.

Playing on ESPN against a very good Georgia defense starting now (noon ET).

You shocked me with this...

First...Hackenberg has been counseled not to come out...he has had a terrible year...and I am a Penn State fan and have seen most of their games....my circle of friends is overwhelmingly a PSU crowd and most go to every home game...their observations are the same....

I will be shocked if he comes out after this year....before the season he was talked about as a first round prospect but now he is a late round pick...his accuracy was brutal (53.3) which is a huge knock on him.....it has regressed every year....

and Manning will retire before coming here.....if he plays he will want to play for a team with a chance.....
mcnabbulous
Oh I know what people say about him. There is no nuance to the analysis of his play. His OC was a moron, his OL was pathetic.

He most certainly did not regress from last year to this year.

I agree that he should go back for his senior year. I don't expect him to do so.

He's going to be a star in the NFL. Like I said, he needs to clean up some footwork issues, but he has literally every quality you could want in an NFL QB.

And I think Peyton would play another season with Gase. Especially after the disaster of a season he had this past year.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 2 2016, 12:13 PM) *
.....if he plays he will want to play for a team with a chance.....

And an OL laugh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 2 2016, 12:23 PM) *
Oh I know what people say about him. There is no nuance to the analysis of his play. His OC was a moron, his OL was pathetic.

He most certainly did not regress from last year to this year.

I agree that he should go back for his senior year. I don't expect him to do so.

He's going to be a star in the NFL. Like I said, he needs to clean up some footwork issues, but he has literally every quality you could want in an NFL QB.

And I think Peyton would play another season with Gase. Especially after the disaster of a season he had this past year.

I agree with you that the OC was an idiot....hence the new OC coming in...and his OL was bad but better than last year when it was truly horrible....

As I said...he has been counseled to return because his draft stock has plummeted.....when your completion % drops 5 points you have regressed...there is no other way to look at it...

But I agree....with work he has the tools to be a monster QB in the pros.......he is a beast...but he is not ready

I expect him to return but in your defense...a new OC and a new offense may induce him to leave figuring the transition period in his last year may do him no favors..
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 2 2016, 11:23 AM) *
And an OL laugh.gif

Peyton has had virtually the same sack % throughout his career. Regardless of OL.

With that said, it was higher than usual this year because he didn't trust his arm to make throws he made in the past.
nephillymike
Nabby,

Sad to say it, but Peyton is done.

One of the best ever and sad to see him go, but I don't want him here.

I too have many PSU diehards in my crowd and ditto what RF said (and no I'm not drunk!). The most ardent is Mikey Jr. who follows them religiously and he says Hell No after this year. He needs to go back for his SR year.

BTW, my NFL season premier/fantasy football guide I use each year had Hackenberg as the #1 prospect in this year's draft (pre horrible season of course).
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 2 2016, 12:48 PM) *
I too have many PSU diehards in my crowd and ditto what RF said (and no I'm not drunk!).

Why must you hurt me.......lol
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 2 2016, 11:48 AM) *
Nabby,

Sad to say it, but Peyton is done.

One of the best ever and sad to see him go, but I don't want him here.

I agree. This wouldn't be for the sake of winning football games. This would be as one of the greatest minds to ever play the game tutoring a young QB with a similar skillset.

I too have many PSU diehards in my crowd and ditto what RF said (and no I'm not drunk!). The most ardent is Mikey Jr. who follows them religiously and he says Hell No after this year. He needs to go back for his SR year.

There is nothing he can do that is going to change my opinion that he is going to be an excellent pro. I agree that he *should* go back to school to improve his draft stock, but my gut tells me he will leave.

I have watched every game of his career. I know the criticisms. I also think people have been paying attention to the wrong things.

BTW, my NFL season premier/fantasy football guide I use each year had Hackenberg as the #1 prospect in this year's draft (pre horrible season of course).

He wasn't as horrible as people are suggesting. He had zero senior skill position players on offense. He had zero senior OL. He had poor coaching.

Watch his freshman season game against Wisconsin. Watch UCF and Boston College from his sophomore season. This kid has it all.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 2 2016, 01:04 PM) *
I agree. This wouldn't be for the sake of winning football games. This would be as one of the greatest minds to ever play the game tutoring a young QB with a similar skillset.

If Hack's stock dropped enough and assuming he does have the right pedigree, from a strategic standpoint, this would make sense. However, I don't think Peyton's ego is quite ready to allow him to become Yoda to a Young Skywalker. IMO, if our f/o were able to pull this off it would be a major coup.

Unfortunately, I believe Elway has this same plan in mind....along with a front office job when Peyton does eventually hang it up.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 2 2016, 12:43 PM) *
If Hack's stock dropped enough and assuming he does have the right pedigree, from a strategic standpoint, this would make sense. However, I don't think Peyton's ego is quite ready to allow him to become Yoda to a Young Skywalker. IMO, if our f/o were able to pull this off it would be a major coup.

Unfortunately, I believe Elway has this same plan in mind....along with a front office job when Peyton does eventually hang it up.

Hack attended Manning's passing academy this past offseason and I believe Peyton had some extremely flattering things to say about him.

I don't think there is any way Hack gets past Houston if he comes out this year, which is why I think he will do so.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 2 2016, 02:09 PM) *
Hack attended Manning's passing academy this past offseason and I believe Peyton had some extremely flattering things to say about him.

I don't think there is any way Hack gets past Houston if he comes out this year, which is why I think he will do so.

and now he hurt his shoulder....his right shoulder....he just renewed the lease on his Happy Valley condo...lol
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 2 2016, 01:15 PM) *
and now he hurt his shoulder....his right shoulder....he just renewed the lease on his Happy Valley condo...lol

And now you get to see the PSU offense without Hackenberg. In case you wanted to see what they're really all about.
mcnabbulous
FWIW - Hackenberg announced after the game that he is going pro.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 2 2016, 04:24 PM) *
FWIW - Hackenberg announced after the game that he is going pro.

Did he? I did not see that...doing a bunch of home projects....bad idea...
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 2 2016, 02:24 PM) *
And now you get to see the PSU offense without Hackenberg. In case you wanted to see what they're really all about.

yes....we did...and they scored 2 TDs on the arm of the backup and threatened to tie....did not exactly help your case.....maybe you should have waited to post this..lol

go figure...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 2 2016, 03:27 PM) *
yes....we did...and they scored 2 TDs on the arm of the backup and threatened to tie....did not exactly help your case.....maybe you should have waited to post this..lol

go figure...

They did play a bit better, and credit to McSorley. He made some nice plays, especially on fourth down. Basically everyone has said for two years that Franklin/Donovan need a guy who can move around a bit. And behind that OL, it would have been a bonus.

It doesn't change the reality that Hack got virtually no support for the past two years. And that offensive system did not play to his strengths. They saw what worked under O'Brien and basically did a 180 from a post snap perspective.
nephillymike
Bad idea is right.

Geez, in real job terms, that move may have cost him five years working.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 2 2016, 04:37 PM) *
Bad idea is right.

Geez, in real job terms, that move may have cost him five years working.

You just haven't been watching. I'm not sure what good could have come from going back to Penn State. Especially because I can't envision a scenario where he gets past Houston in the first round.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 2 2016, 05:41 PM) *
You just haven't been watching. I'm not sure what good could have come from going back to Penn State. Especially because I can't envision a scenario where he gets past Houston in the first round.

You keep saying that but I have been watching...right from the beginning when he shockingly stayed with his commitment to go to Penn State.....I have not seen every snap but likely close to 90% and he has made a huge error......I will wager that he gets past everyone in the first round.....I concede that his OL has been terrible but his accuracy in some games this year has been horrible...I know he has a connection to O'Brien but O'Brien is not the GM....and they can probably get him in the 2nd or 3rd round...his season was that bad.....he may redeem himself with a great pro day or combine but if not he is in for a rude awakening...
mcnabbulous
I'm happy to make a friendly wager on whether he makes it out of the first.

I agree his accuracy has had issues, but I think scheme (and subsequently mechanics) are primarily to blame for that. They have been asking him to do things that don't fit his style of play.

You give me a guy that has his arm with his pre and post snap smarts and I'll take it every Sunday.
mcnabbulous
Since we're interviewing Gase today, and I hope he doesn't leave Philly...I'll put in a bonus of having him lure Alshon to Philly this offseason.
Eyrie
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Jan 5 2016, 08:34 PM) *
Since we're interviewing Gase today, and I hope he doesn't leave Philly...I'll put in a bonus of having him lure Alshon to Philly this offseason.

Hiring Gase would certainly improve our chances there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.