Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles Salary Cap 2016
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
One attraction for prospective coaches and GMs is $ available under the cap.

The eagles supposedly have 16mil free under the cap for next year, a somewhat below average amount among NFL teams. However they also have some big ticket FAs to resign!
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

In contrast a number of playoff teams--carolina, seattle-- have more than 20$mil available.

The Giants, who might also be looking for a new coach, have $36 mil free.

Btw The cowboys have $8mil free. the up and coming Redskins only have $5mil but they'll save $16mil if they cut RGIII. That will enable them to add some pieces to their weak D. The performance of the offense this year will attract FAs. In contrast I expect it to be harder for the Eagles to attract FAs.

The following is a list of Eagle veterans and others who might become cap casualties along with those who might be vulnerable to a coach's change in system. I also include the $ saved by cutting the player.

Mark Sanchez. 3.5mil If Bradford signs, is Sanchez a cap casualty? He might be attractive as backup in DC after RGIII gets cut, especially if the Eagles keep their current O Coordinator.

Brent Celek 5mil might he be willing to renegotiate a more realistic # and save the team a couple of mil.

D Ryans 1mil If they switch to a 4-3 D I assume he stays--if he can still play a little. Might he renegotiate some of his 4.5mil cap hit.

Marcus. Smith. If I interpret the data correctly it would *cost* them an extra 1 mil to cut him.

K Alonso 1 mil. If they switch to 4-3 D I assume one ILB goes.

R Cooper. 3 mil. I hope they have some $ for a replacement #2 caliber WR.

Denis Kelly .8 Mil. If they draft an OT in round 1 maybe they cut Kelly.

Chris Maragos 1.5mil He had lost playing time @ S to E Reynolds. Also the bigger S, J Couplin, is signed for 2016.

Jason Peters. 6.3mil You'll think I'm crazy for mentioning him until you read the numbers below. Might the younger L Johnson beat out Peters for the L Tackle spot. Also if they draft the future RT in round 1, wouldn't it make more sense for the injury-prone Peters to be playing RT?

Taylor Hart. & K Barner. 1 mil. total Sacrificial Oregon Ducks. However, ff they switch to a 4-3 they may need another D Lineman.

Evan Matthis. There is still $1mil in dead money in 2016! Would that change if he were brought back?

The following is a list of free agents who will have to be replaced or signed along with my guess about the additional cost. They only have $16 mil currently available to cover the following signings.

Sam Bradford 18mil

V Curry 4.5mil if they switch to a 4-3 D

C Thornton 2.5 mil (cap casualty if they switch to 4-3)

W Thurmond 4.5 mil ( 3.3mil in 2015) I think he stays especially since he can also play CB.

Nolan Carroll. 3mil in 2015 (cap casualty). Remember rookie J Shepherd will be back from injury.

Matt tobin .6 mil in 2015

E Biggers .6mil in 2015

If you, like me, did not like the signing of D Murray before this post, what do you now think of his $8mil cap hit?

Maxwell has a 9.7 mil hit but I still think it was a necessary evil.

I think they are going to need concessions from Peters, Ryans and Celek to make the budget work.

If you were a coach or GM candidate how would those numbers make you feel?
Phits
Cap be damned, next season should be a wash. IMO, the 2017 off-season is more important.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jan 1 2016, 10:36 PM) *
One attraction for prospective coaches and GMs is $ available under the cap.

The eagles supposedly have 16mil free under the cap for next year, a somewhat below average amount among NFL teams. However they also have some big ticket FAs to resign!
http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

In contrast a number of playoff teams--carolina, seattle-- have more than 20$mil available.

The Giants, who might also be looking for a new coach, have $36 mil free.

Btw The cowboys have $8mil free. the up and coming Redskins only have $5mil but they'll save $16mil if they cut RGIII. That will enable them to add some pieces to their weak D. The performance of the offense this year will attract FAs. In contrast I expect it to be harder for the Eagles to attract FAs.

The following is a list of Eagle veterans and others who might become cap casualties along with those who might be vulnerable to a coach's change in system. I also include the $ saved by cutting the player.

Mark Sanchez. 3.5mil If Bradford signs, is Sanchez a cap casualty? He might be attractive as backup in DC after RGIII gets cut, especially if the Eagles keep their current O Coordinator.

Brent Celek 5mil might he be willing to renegotiate a more realistic # and save the team a couple of mil.

D Ryans 1mil If they switch to a 4-3 D I assume he stays--if he can still play a little. Might he renegotiate some of his 4.5mil cap hit.

Marcus. Smith. If I interpret the data correctly it would *cost* them an extra 1 mil to cut him.

K Alonso 1 mil. If they switch to 4-3 D I assume one ILB goes.

R Cooper. 3 mil. I hope they have some $ for a replacement #2 caliber WR.

Denis Kelly .8 Mil. If they draft an OT in round 1 maybe they cut Kelly.

Chris Maragos 1.5mil He had lost playing time @ S to E Reynolds. Also the bigger S, J Couplin, is signed for 2016.

Jason Peters. 6.3mil You'll think I'm crazy for mentioning him until you read the numbers below. Might the younger L Johnson beat out Peters for the L Tackle spot.

Taylor Hart. & K Barner. 1 mil. total Sacrificial Oregon Ducks. However, ff they switch to a 4-3 they may need another D Lineman.

Evan Matthis. There is still $1mil in dead money in 2016! Would that change if he were brought back?

The following is a list of free agents who will have to be replaced or signed along with my guess about the additional cost. They only have $16 mil currently available to cover the following signings.

Sam Bradford 18mil

V Curry 4.5mil if they switch to a 4-3 D

C Thornton 2.5 mil (cap casualty if they switch to 4-3)

W Thurmond 4.5 mil ( 3.3mil in 2015) I think he stays especially since he can also play CB.

Nolan Carroll. 3mil in 2015 (cap casualty). Remember rookie J Shepherd will be back from injury.

Matt tobin .6 mil in 2015

E Biggers .6mil in 2015

If you, like me, did not like the signing of D Murray before this post, what do you now think of his $8mil cap hit?

Maxwell has a 9.7 mil hit but I still think it was a necessary evil.

I think they are going to need concessions from Peters, Ryans and Celek to make the budget work.

If you were a coach or GM candidate how would those numbers make you feel?

Dreagon
What you decide to do with Murray is going to affect those numbers a lot. The way I see it you have two rational options and one bad one.

1. Trade Murray for not very much just to get out from under the contract.
2. Accept that Murray is an inside the tackles runner and seriously upgrade your gaurds.
3. Keep things as they are and hope for the best.
Pbfan
I think we need to get rid of him. I dont believe next year has to be a wash. I dont know the cap hit for getting rid of maxwell and murray but those are the first steps to rebuilding. Then we have to get our o and d lines sorted. Any good lineman on either side avail through FA?
Dreagon
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Jan 1 2016, 10:27 PM) *
I think we need to get rid of him. I dont believe next year has to be a wash. I dont know the cap hit for getting rid of maxwell and murray but those are the first steps to rebuilding. Then we have to get our o and d lines sorted. Any good lineman on either side avail through FA?

Jason Pierre Paul might be available on the defensive side of the line...or at least 99% of him will be.

Alex Boone of the 49ers is a gaurd and will be a free agent.

That's about all I know.

Edit: Oh, and Gaurd Brandon Brooks of the Texans will be a FA. He's coming to the end of his rookie contract.
Reality Fan
the Eagles have 4 guys who will immediately free up close to 15 million

Celek 5
Sanchez 3.5
Ryans 3.5
Cooper 2,9

and that is without really getting creative and all are obvious spots....that do not hurt the onfield product...
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 2 2016, 02:38 AM) *
the Eagles have 4 guys who will immediately free up close to 15 million

Celek 5
Sanchez 3.5
Ryans 3.5
Cooper 2,9

and that is without really getting creative and all are obvious spots....that do not hurt the onfield product...

Celek may be getting close to the end of his career, but he still contributes. Who's the other TE if he's cut? Burton is unproven and more of big receiver than a TE and they have Pentale on the PS.
nephillymike
Thanks for the info, good stuff.

A few big picture things to remember:

1. Even with a long term contract for Bradford or another veteran QB, the cap hit next year for that deal will likely be less than the $13M Bradford cap hit this year. So there is savings there.

2. The Eagles have almost always left 10-20% of the cap unspent. The current estimate for 2016 cap is $150M, even at a historical low unspent cap % of 10%, that would lop off $15M, so would mean we're down to $135. That handcuffs many deals. I've been following the Eagles cap situation for almost 15 years and they never extend themselves up to the cap, so the figure you need to reconcile to is $135M tops, maybe even $130M.

3. There is another factor here this year that we've never had under Lurie. He has had to eat a huge salary for a coach he just fired for two years at a total of about $13M. Maybe they'l eat that, or maybe some or all of it will come out of the player budget. If so, that's $6.5M per year to throw into the mix.

To decide on all of the salary cap moves you mention, I would need to see what offense and defense we run with the new coach for that to play out.

I hope we stick with Kelly style offense and the 3-4, which if we do, will make some of them not as desirable.

We'll see. It will make for a more interesting offseason.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 2 2016, 11:35 AM) *
Thanks for the info, good stuff.

A few big picture things to remember:

1. Even with a long term contract for Bradford or another veteran QB, the cap hit next year for that deal will likely be less than the $13M Bradford cap hit this year. So there is savings there.

2. The Eagles have almost always left 10-20% of the cap unspent. The current estimate for 2016 cap is $150M, even at a historical low unspent cap % of 10%, that would lop off $15M, so would mean we're down to $135. That handcuffs many deals. I've been following the Eagles cap situation for almost 15 years and they never extend themselves up to the cap, so the figure you need to reconcile to is $135M tops, maybe even $130M.

3. There is another factor here r to throw into the mix.
this year that we've never had under Lurie. He has had to eat a huge salary for a coach he just fired for two years at a total of about $13M. Maybe they'l eat that, or maybe some or all of it will come out of the player budget. If so, that's $6.5M per yea
To decide on all of the salary cap moves you mention, I would need to see what offense and defense we run with the new coach for that to play out.

I hope we stick with Kelly style offense and the 3-4, which if we do, will make some of them not as desirable.

a few notes.....

I agree with number 1...and it is the easiest way to fix their cap problems a bit...number 2 is presented as a rule rather than an observation...if the cap rises to 150 expect the Eagles to approach it if that means getting the players they need.....they have rarely spent close to the cap but they have really never been in the situation they are in.....while many thought Reid had run his course only a moronic few hated the guy...or even disliked him....

another thing to watch...if they do sign Bradford then expect a rapid rebuild....if it is a patient one than spending a large amount on Bradford is foolish

Lastly....I will be shocked if you ever even see an indication of eating Kelly's salary......Lurie is a guy who does not shirk from responsibility......and he can afford it...lol
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 2 2016, 11:35 AM) *

I think the personnel is better suited for the 4-3, but I'm a DKD. As I said in a different thread, keep Cox and Logan inside and return both Graham and Curry to DE. Barwin is the SLB, Kendricks WLB and Hicks MLB. To me, that's a very good front seven. I agree with your dream scenario of bringing McDermott back, then keep Shurmur as OC to make a hybrid offense from WCO and KO. Not sure if the terminology would have to change, but the playbook would add layers rather than be all new. I also don't know what kind of play caller Shurmur is.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 2 2016, 11:48 AM) *
I think the personnel is better suited for the 4-3, but I'm a DKD. As I said in a different thread, keep Cox and Logan inside and return both Graham and Curry to DE. Barwin is the SLB, Kendricks WLB and Hicks MLB. To me, that's a very good front seven. I agree with your dream scenario of bringing McDermott back, then keep Shurmur as OC to make a hybrid offense from WCO and KO. Not sure if the terminology would have to change, but the playbook would add layers rather than be all new. I also don't know what kind of play caller Shurmur is.

In an affirmation of our observations...Ray Diddinger made the same comments on Comcast last night which speaks volumes about Kelly's personnel evaluations..
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 2 2016, 05:19 AM) *
Celek may be getting close to the end of his career, but he still contributes. Who's the other TE if he's cut? Burton is unproven and more of big receiver than a TE and they have Pentale on the PS.

Celek is already done...his best years are behind him...I love the guy and have his jersey but he has taken a beating..They can find a blocking TE cheap in FA or adjust their offense....
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 2 2016, 11:48 AM) *
keep Shurmur as OC

You had me right up until this point. What has Shrumur (ever) done to get a reprieve? Considering the basic fundamental issues our offense has gone through, it would seem Shurmur has failed miserably at his job.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Jan 2 2016, 12:23 PM) *
You had me right up until this point. What has Shrumur (ever) done to get a reprieve? Considering the basic fundamental issues our offense has gone through, it would seem Shurmur has failed miserably at his job.

Only continuity and familiarity with what Chip was doing.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 2 2016, 12:06 PM) *
Celek is already done...his best years are behind him...I love the guy and have his jersey but he has taken a beating..They can find a blocking TE cheap in FA or adjust their offense....

They had one in camp last year and cut him loose in favor of Burton. He had size and a decent preseason.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 2 2016, 12:01 PM) *
In an affirmation of our observations...Ray Diddinger made the same comments on Comcast last night which speaks volumes about Kelly's personnel evaluations..

What did R Diddy affirm?

I thought I saw that but I miss the connection to this thread.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 2 2016, 12:40 PM) *
What did R Diddy affirm?

I thought I saw that but I miss the connection to this thread.

Diddy said he would like to see them go back to the 4-3 and that the personnel on this team were much better suited to run the 4-3 than the 3-4.....which after 3 years with Kelly speaks volumes....you would think that the personnel would be more 3-4 oriented but they are not..moreover...most of the palyers here have experience in a 4-3....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 2 2016, 01:01 PM) *
Diddy said he would like to see them go back to the 4-3 and that the personnel on this team were much better suited to run the 4-3 than the 3-4.....which after 3 years with Kelly speaks volumes....you would think that the personnel would be more 3-4 oriented but they are not..moreover...most of the palyers here have experience in a 4-3....

OK, I see what you mean.

I agree with Cox and Curry, but Graham didn't do well as a 43DE, and all of our LB's are better 34's, including Hicks. I guess Kendricks can do 43.

Kelly picked a CB and paid him $65M, and he was not a press corner. I know people poo pooed this point, but R. Diddy and others said it at the time of the signing. Did he look like a press corner?

Traded for a QB who can't run in an offense that a run threat from the QB is important.

Paid a bunch of cash to a RB who can't run outside zone.

Chip's personnel decisions were as knee jerk as his play calls. Didn't take the extra three seconds to think and audible out of a bad personnel move, just like the play calls.

But man, I really want them to keep this offense style.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 2 2016, 01:17 PM) *
OK, I see what you mean.

I agree with Cox and Curry, but Graham didn't do well as a 43DE, and all of our LB's are better 34's, including Hicks. I guess Kendricks can do 43.

Kelly picked a CB and paid him $65M, and he was not a press corner. I know people poo pooed this point, but R. Diddy and others said it at the time of the signing. Did he look like a press corner?

Traded for a QB who can't run in an offense that a run threat from the QB is important.

Paid a bunch of cash to a RB who can't run outside zone.

Chip's personnel decisions were as knee jerk as his play calls. Didn't take the extra three seconds to think and audible out of a bad personnel move, just like the play calls.

But man, I really want them to keep this offense style.

Considering Kendricks played the SAM in the Eagles 4-3 his rookie year and did pretty well I would say yes...I guess he can play in a 4-3....are you that old that your memory is going?

Barwin could play the SAM and Kendriks could move to weak side....I am suspect of Hicks playing the MIKE and staying healthy.....

Barwin could play DE...but Cox is the prototypical 4-3 3 technique DT....Logan is perfect for a DT...Curry and Graham are DEs in a 4-3....Graham was not bad...he was a head case and that got him in the doghouse and he did not get to play much...remember...he had 3 sacks as a rookie with limited time and missed most of the next year with a torn ACL and got micro fracture surgery.....that said...in limited time again he had 5.5 sacks in the 4-3......and then Kelly took the reins..

Zero
Just heard that Duce has interviewed for HC job.

Linc ...
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 2 2016, 01:40 PM) *
Considering Kendricks played the SAM in the Eagles 4-3 his rookie year and did pretty well I would say yes...I guess he can play in a 4-3....are you that old that your memory is going?

Barwin could play the SAM and Kendriks could move to weak side....I am suspect of Hicks playing the MIKE and staying healthy.....

Barwin could play DE...but Cox is the prototypical 4-3 3 technique DT....Logan is perfect for a DT...Curry and Graham are DEs in a 4-3....Graham was not bad...he was a head case and that got him in the doghouse and he did not get to play much...remember...he had 3 sacks as a rookie with limited time and missed most of the next year with a torn ACL and got micro fracture surgery.....that said...in limited time again he had 5.5 sacks in the 4-3......and then Kelly took the reins..

I knew Kendricks was a 43 before, but based on his play, I'm not sure they want him back. The way he covers, I think the less blitzing more coverage style may not be best for him. I thought Hicks was a pure 34 ILB and Logan a pure 34 NT when coming out of college.

None of this matters until we get a coach and then we'll go from there.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jan 2 2016, 02:05 PM) *
I knew Kendricks was a 43 before, but based on his play, I'm not sure they want him back. The way he covers, I think the less blitzing more coverage style may not be best for him. I thought Hicks was a pure 34 ILB and Logan a pure 34 NT when coming out of college.

None of this matters until we get a coach and then we'll go from there.

Unless you're suggesting they trade him, I can't see him not being here. And even with a trade, doesn't his cap hit affect them? I also think it's nearly impossible to fairly judge almost any player with the way this season broke apart.
Joegrane
Don't they have a TE on the practice squad?
QUOTE (Zero @ Jan 2 2016, 12:27 PM) *
They had one in camp last year and cut him loose in favor of Burton. He had size and a decent preseason.

Joegrane
The middle/MIKE LB is my biggest concern about switching to a 4-3. Ryans has the size but does he have anything left in the tank. I assume they'd have to draft a true MIKE fairly high, maybe the 3rd round.

I assume they'd rotate Kendricks, Hicks and Barwin on the outside on running downs. On passing downs maybe one of them would move to MIKE or maybe they'd bring in another DB.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jan 2 2016, 01:40 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.