Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jeff Laurie's Presser
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/art...10-8d9a538c60cc

Worth watching. A must see.

The important takeaways that I heard:

1. Chip wanted the control and if you want control you have to be accountable. (Chip meets accountability, and accountability won!)

2. The main reason he did this move now, was so that he could have this week to meet with the players and ask them about what coaching leadership is all about these days. On one hand, I like that he's asking the ee's, but on the other hand, I don't know who as players I would trust to be worth asking.

3. He will value "emotional" intelligence in the next hire.

#2 and #3 tells me that Chip lost the locker room in a huge way. I just hope that Jeff doesn't overcompensate and we hire some kumbaya coach who won't get the most out of players because he's too buddy buddy.

I thought Jeff came across well in his delivery, although I am concerned about the same trio searching again.
mcnabbulous
How is it that no one in this fanbase can consistently spell our owners name right after all these years wink.gif
nephillymike
That's real stupid on my part.

If you only knew!!

I had three different designers that I dealt with today, two Laurie's and one Laura.

It's like Jennifer. In that field they are all over the place.

S/B Lurie of course.

Long day, brain already in New Year mode.

One thing I do not know how to do, is correct a title.
mcnabbulous
Just giving you a hard time, but it's pretty funny how often I still see fans making that mistake.

I'm pretty mentally exhausted from this whole mess. Sucks to be starting over again.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 31 2015, 01:28 AM) *
I'm pretty mentally exhausted from this whole mess. Sucks to be starting over again.

Of course you're exhausted. You've invested so much energy cheerleading for this fraud, and now it's all over! Honestly, have you ever been right about anything related to football?

Don't worry, maybe Chip will take over somewhere, bring Geno Smith over with him, and win a Super Bowl, and you'll get to have the last laugh for once. laugh.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 31 2015, 12:36 AM) *
Of course you're exhausted. You've invested so much energy cheerleading for this fraud, and now it's all over! Honestly, have you ever been right about anything related to football?

Don't worry, maybe Chip will take over somewhere, bring Geno Smith over with him, and win a Super Bowl, and you'll get to have the last laugh for once. laugh.gif

Yeah, remember when I predicted Andy's success in KC and you subsequently changed your signature for a week as a part of the bet you were so incredibly wrong about?

We are watching a league where Ryan Fitzpatrick, Brian Hoyer, and Alex Smith are leading their teams to the playoffs, but you think I was so horribly wrong about Geno Smith, who struggled as a 24 year old.

I always had a problem with Chip taking over the GM duties, much like I had a problem with Andy having that power back in the day. It doesn't change the reality that he was incredibly successful as a coach given how bad we were when he took over and our lack of stability at QB. Literally no coaches thrive in those situations.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 30 2015, 11:49 PM) *
How is it that no one in this fanbase can consistently spell our owners name right after all these years wink.gif

Cell phone spell checker does that all the time too.

Macklin. Ryan Matthews. Alonzo.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 31 2015, 02:03 AM) *
It doesn't change the reality that he was incredibly successful as a coach given how bad we were when he took over and our lack of stability at QB. Literally no coaches thrive in those situations.

Exactly. People seem to not see that Chip the coach was extremely successful--especially when you figure he was brand new to the NFL and he got rid of all of this talent. I wish they'd kept him and had a good personnel guy to get him the players he needed.

I'm afraid (if his ego allows him) he'll go somewhere else in the NFL where they'll handle the personnel decisions and just ask him to coach. I think he's pretty deadly in that situation.

This franchise has been set back 3-5 years by this.

And I was very much against the Chip Kelly hire originally, btw.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 31 2015, 02:03 AM) *
It doesn't change the reality that he was incredibly successful as a coach given how bad we were when he took over and our lack of stability at QB. Literally no coaches thrive in those situations.

I don't think the talent was that bad when Kelly took over the team. Andy's departure wasn't too different from Kelly's, he lost his players ... just not for the same reasons.

And, I don't think he was incredibly successful as a coach. I think he is extremely bright, an offensive innovator and his system worked very well, but he didn't seem adept at adjusting in games and he apparently didn't have an effective leader personality. These are critical to being a good coach, IMO.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 31 2015, 06:06 AM) *
I don't think the talent was that bad when Kelly took over the team. Andy's departure wasn't too different from Kelly's, he lost his players ... just not for the same reasons.

I think you forget how bad our defense was. It was in total shambles. Especially our back 7. And Michael Vick was our QB.

Our 2012 team was really bad. There is enough evidence to support Andy not being the type to "lose his players" to suggest it was more than that.

And, I don't think he was incredibly successful as a coach. I think he is extremely bright, an offensive innovator and his system worked very well, but he didn't seem adept at adjusting in games and he apparently didn't have an effective leader personality. These are critical to being a good coach, IMO.

His in game adjustments were pretty heavily praised. That seems a bit like revisionist history. If we struggled anywhere, it tended to be early.

His people skills are pretty obviously flawed. There is no arguing that.

I would think at this point, people would realize how hard it is to find the total package with a coach. Andy had great people skills, was an amazing game planner, but often struggled in game. Two out of three ain't so bad, it seems.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 31 2015, 09:23 AM) *
I think you forget how bad our defense was. It was in total shambles. Especially our back 7. And Michael Vick was our QB.

Our 2012 team was really bad. There is enough evidence to support Andy not being the type to "lose his players" to suggest it was more than that.

His in game adjustments were pretty heavily praised. That seems a bit like revisionist history. If we struggled anywhere, it tended to be early.

His people skills are pretty obviously flawed. There is no arguing that.

I would think at this point, people would realize how hard it is to find the total package with a coach. Andy had great people skills, was an amazing game planner, but often struggled in game. Two out of three ain't so bad, it seems.
Agreed on the defense, as an Optimystic I sometimes block out the really bad. wink.gif

As to his in game adjustments, when the offense was moving it was great, but there were so many frustrating 3 and outs that it seemed like were play calling stubbornness.

Bottom line is that winning cures most coaching ills and losing focuses on them.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 31 2015, 08:37 AM) *
Agreed on the defense, as an Optimystic I sometimes block out the really bad. wink.gif

Fair. The way I look at it, we have adjusted our allocation of talent from offense to defense. I think Chip believed he could scheme the offense to success. It was a reasonable gamble.

The defense simply didn't get it done.

As to his in game adjustments, when the offense was moving it was great, but there were so many frustrating 3 and outs that it seemed like were play calling stubbornness.

Bottom line is that winning cures most coaching ills and losing focuses on them.

The three and outs seemed to be a product of execution to me. I also don't think we were as bad as people made it out to be. We are currently 15th in the league. They probably just seen worse cause they happen at such a quick pace.

Better execution (e.g. not dropping so many fucking balls) and it's a non issue.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 31 2015, 10:36 AM) *
The three and outs seemed to be a product of execution to me. I also don't think we were as bad as people made it out to be. We are currently 15th in the league. They probably just seen worse cause they happen at such a quick pace.

Better execution (e.g. not dropping so many fucking balls) and it's a non issue.

To me, execution is a combination of preparation, talent and attitude. If they're not well prepared that's coaching. If they're not talented that's player selection and/or a determination on who plays and who sits. If the owner needs to give a pep talk before a big game that sounds like the coach is missing something. These are reasons why I say he didn't do a good job of coaching. BTW, that doesn't say he won't or couldn't have learned and improve.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 31 2015, 09:48 AM) *
To me, execution is a combination of preparation, talent and attitude. If they're not well prepared that's coaching.

I don't think lack of preparation can be an excuse for our players. Chip's scheme is literally all about shrinking the playbook and repetitive practicing of core concepts. Not to mention that we run more practice reps than any other team. There is no way we weren't prepared to execute on those plays.

If they're not talented that's player selection and/or a determination on who plays and who sits.

If it were one or two guys that had the dropsies, I might agree with you. But literally our entire roster couldn't catch shit this year. You can't sit everyone.

If the owner needs to give a pep talk before a big game that sounds like the coach is missing something. These are reasons why I say he didn't do a good job of coaching. BTW, that doesn't say he won't or couldn't have learned and improve.

It's pretty obvious that there was an issue with Chip communicating with this team. It almost sounds like he and Lurie both conceded that it was over weeks ago.

I'm at a point where I think a change had to be made. It doesn't change my disappointment with how it all played out. I, like nearly everyone, was skeptical of Chip's hiring to begin with. But I was extremely excited about the potential. It played out differently than I expected, and Chip wasn't quite the risk taker I anticipated, but his offense proved to be more than capable.

I wish he got Mariota. I really think we'd all be singing a different tune had that been the case. The Titans would be making a mistake if they didn't try to make that happen.
Rick
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 31 2015, 11:06 AM) *
I wish he got Mariota. I really think we'd all be singing a different tune had that been the case.

I have been saying/thinking this all season since I saw Mariota play. The kid is a stud and I think he would have been pretty damn good in Chip's offense in the NFL. Sadly, we may have to find out the hard way...
md717
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 31 2015, 01:36 AM) *
have you ever been right about anything related to football?
Why limit the question to football?

smile.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (md717 @ Dec 31 2015, 11:23 AM) *
Why limit the question to football?

smile.gif

Thanks for chiming in. Feel #blessed that you share the majority of your opinions with the board idiot smile.gif
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 31 2015, 11:06 AM) *
The Titans would be making a mistake if they didn't try to make that happen.

How will the communication issues follow him? Affect his appeal? I'd think they'd be interested and concerned in that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.