Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where do we go from here?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
CT_Eagle
The canning of Chip was a bit of a surprise to me. I thought he would be given one more year to work with his players. I am OK with the firing. I stated before that Chip would go down as a genius or a complete failure. His termination yesterday marks his time in Philly as a failure. So what is next for the Eagles?

Coaching
Your guess is as good as mine as to who the new HC will be. I would like to see a coach with some NFL experience as at least a coordinator I always prefer defensive teams so a defensive coordinator would top my list. McDermott would be a good candidate but I am not sure that he would be interested. How would you perceive going back to a team that fired you and replaced you with the OL coach? I also hope that the new coach comes in and begins to assemble his type of team immediately. Chip didnít do that until year 3 which left him very little room for the process to play out.

QB
This is a tough one. Bradford has started to pick things up in recent weeks. I would try to work a deal with him but it may be tough. He is going to want long term security and there are other teams that will probably offer just that. It would be a huge risk to sign him to a long term deal but I do not think the Eagles have much of a choice. The only way I let him go is if the new coach wants a mobile QB for his system. Bradford is not that guy so in that instance, it would be time to move on. The Eagles will also need to start drafting young QBs. One of the things Reid did right was to have a young QB in the wings. None of them really panned out but he was able to garner a few picks with them.

RB
I would not change a thing at this point. The RBs on the roster are good enough. I think even Murray would be productive if he gets to run north\south and is not constantly running out of the shotgun. His contract means he will not be cut and there are bigger concerns at other positions that will need to be addressed.

TE
Another position I would leave alone for now. Celek is still serviceable as well as Ertz. Some of the drops were frustrating but again, there are bigger areas that need to be addressed.

WR
This should be an area of focus. This team desperately needs a WR that can take the top off of defences. That guy does not exist on this team. Matthews can play in the slot and Agholar can be the number two for now. Hopefully they both progress from this season. Neither will shine as the number one so getting that speedster is critical.

OL
This line is a mess. I love Peters but I think the decline has started. I would move him to guard if possible and slide Johnson to LT. I would give Kelce another year to see if he can regain his earlier form. That would leave the Eagles with having to find a guard and a right tackle.

DL
This is the strongest unit on the Eagles and I would not touch a thing. Even if the new DC goes back to a 4-3 I think the Eagles have the personnel to make that happen. This unit is not a priority this season

LB
This is a tricky area. Jordan Hicks was having a great season until he was injured. Ryans is getting older but still a valuable vet. Kendricks always makes contact with the RB but fails to make the tackle on a regular basis. Barwin did not live up to previous seasons but he was still a contributor. Graham was serviceable on the other side. The LBs are not exactly a strength but they are not a liability either.

CB
As frustrating as Maxwell was in 2015, his contract means he will be back in 16. A lot of pundits point out that Maxwell was not used correctly. Hopefully that is true and the DC will use him appropriately. I am skeptical of Maxwellís ability so this will be a wait and see for me. Rowe has been coming on as of late so he gets another year to show what he can do.

S
Jenkins had a great season so keeping him at S is an easy call. Thurmond was serviceable but needs to be upgraded if possible. More than likely he is back again.

It is not a pretty picture. The team needs to be retooled but some of the contracts Chip handed out means that the Eagles are stuck with some players for another season. Not having the 2nd round pick will hurt as well. This offseason will not be as exciting as last yearís but that will be a good thing. Instead of the flash of Chipís moves I hope to see steady building towards a more traditional football team. Between the wide 9 year and Chipís take on offense, I am done with gimmicks.
Phits
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Dec 30 2015, 10:23 AM) *
I hope to see steady building towards a more traditional football team. Between the wide 9 year and Chipís take on offense, I am done with gimmicks.

I would think you would be done with the 40+ years of "traditional football" that has provided the same amount of championships as the 'gimmicks'.

I am hoping that we have somebody come in who is innovative and takes a non-traditional approach to coaching.

WR
This should be an area of focus. This team desperately needs a WR that can take the top off of defences. That guy does not exist on this team. Matthews can play in the slot and Agholar can be the number two for now. Hopefully they both progress from this season. Neither will shine as the number one so getting that speedster is critical.

The problem with our receivers was their ability to catch the ball. They were routinely open. If they got 30% of the drops this season would have ended differently.

OL
This line is a mess.

The majority of our resources should be directed at fixing the o-line. Extra protection means more time for Bradford to see the open receivers and holes for the 3 RB's to be more productive.

Coaching
I also hope that the new coach comes in and begins to assemble his type of team immediately. Chip didnít do that until year 3 which left him very little room for the process to play out.

I wonder how much wiggle room the new HC will have in the off-season? There is talent on this team and the right moves could be the difference between being a sub .500 team and one that can compete for a 'weak division'. If the HC feels the fire breathing down his neck he will likely go for the gusto straight away.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 30 2015, 04:52 PM) *
I would think you would be done with the 40+ years of "traditional football" that has provided the same amount of championships as the 'gimmicks'.
I am hoping that we have somebody come in who is innovative and takes a non-traditional approach to coaching.

I can live with a new wrinkle or two but I am done with "revolutionary" concepts. I think the last "revolution" that resulted in a title was the West Coast offense.

The problem with our receivers was their ability to catch the ball. They were routinely open. If they got 30% of the drops this season would have ended differently.

The drops were definitely huge his year. I just want to make things harder on defensive coordinators. The Eagles make their job too easy because they do not have to worry about the Eagles beating them deep. They can keep everything in front of them, forcing the eagles to take 4 or 5 yards at a time, while waiting for the inevitable dropped pass or penalty to kill the Eagle's drive.

The majority of our resources should be directed at fixing the o-line. Extra protection means more time for Bradford to see the open receivers and holes for the 3 RB's to be more productive.

Agreed. Build from the inside out.
Zero
What we need is a coach who will use the talent he has in the best way possible. Innovation is good, Kelly had a way of getting his receivers open often but smothered other times. Do we call NE, AZ, Carolina innovative?

I think much of the reason we had so many drops was that players were pressing. It wasn't only the WRs though, the OL, the LBs, the DBs to a large degree seemed to be trying to do too much instead working within the system. To me, this falls on coaching not the talent but the dearth of talented players contributes. I bet adding a quality WR to the group and maybe even a new WR coach will reduce the drops significantly.

I still don't think there's too much that needs fixing on the team. Obviously the OL, but the kind of linemen they go after will depend on the scheme. Lighter, athletic guys or earth movers? Lurie needs to make a good decision quickly so the personnel people (hopefully not Roseman) will know where to go in FA. A G and a WR should do the trick then follow up with the draft.
mcnabbulous
The problem wasn't a willingness to beat teams deep. It was an inability. Our receivers are no good. Agholor was supposed to be the guy. He looked lost.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 30 2015, 05:26 PM) *
The problem wasn't a willingness to beat teams deep. It was an inability. Our receivers are no good. Agholor was supposed to be the guy. He looked lost.

Not sure who or what you are responding to but I agree with your statement.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 30 2015, 11:26 AM) *

and yet the Eagles/Bradford were 4th in the NFL in 40+ yd plays........go figure...
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 30 2015, 05:39 PM) *
and yet the Eagles/Bradford were 4th in the NFL in 40+ yd plays........go figure...

How much of that total is a result of running more plays than most other teams? How many of those were runs?
TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Dec 30 2015, 12:44 PM) *
How much of that total is a result of running more plays than most other teams?

That pretty much was the point of the up-tempo attack....
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Dec 30 2015, 05:44 PM) *
How much of that total is a result of running more plays than most other teams? How many of those were runs?

I know, I am replying to myself but I found the answer.

The Eagles are tied for 4th in the league with 13 passing plays of 40+ yards. Tied for 17th in passing plays of 20+ yards.They are tied for 6th in the league for pass attempts.

It appears that the Eagles were better with the long ball than I gave them credit for and there is room for improvement regarding plays from 20-40 yards.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Dec 30 2015, 11:44 AM) *

we are talking Bradford...not running plays....and ever since Bradford got more comfortable in his footwork he has been going downfield.......it is hard to argue that the last 6 games Bradford has been a different guy despite getting hit and hit hard...
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 30 2015, 06:04 PM) *
we are talking Bradford...not running plays....and ever since Bradford got more comfortable in his footwork he has been going downfield.......it is hard to argue that the last 6 games Bradford has been a different guy despite getting hit and hit hard...

Agreed regarding Bradford getting more comfortable. I think it was pointed out by several posters on this board over the past couple of weeks.
Phits
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Dec 30 2015, 11:12 AM) *
The drops were definitely huge his year. I just want to make things harder on defensive coordinators. The Eagles make their job too easy because they do not have to worry about the Eagles beating them deep. They can keep everything in front of them, forcing the eagles to take 4 or 5 yards at a time, while waiting for the inevitable dropped pass or penalty to kill the Eagle's drive.

I think this is my problem. Considering how much people have griped about the big play threat, Bradford was one of the league leaders in 40+ yard plays. We failed to execute simple tasks. Had we been able to do this it would have amounted to much more success....which is what happened in 2013. We didn't commit boneheaded penalties and we moved the ball (very quickly) a chunk at a time until the big play emerged and didn't turn the ball over.

This was Chip's Achilles heel as HC.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 30 2015, 05:23 PM) *
I think this is my problem. Considering how much people have griped about the big play threat, Bradford was one of the league leaders in 40+ yard plays. We failed to execute simple tasks. Had we been able to do this it would have amounted to much more success....which is what happened in 2013. We didn't commit boneheaded penalties and we moved the ball (very quickly) a chunk at a time until the big play emerged and didn't turn the ball over.

This was Chip's Achilles heel as HC.

Exactly. This is why he failed here, not because of the system and not because of the personnel. Because for some reason his players either weren't prepared or weren't coached to execute fundamental football.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.