Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My next coach
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
A Philadelphia Catholic League Product who knows this city and it's culture real well.

He's worlds above where he was when he left here, and one of the most sought out candidates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_McDermott
PhillySteaks
McDermott would be a good hire..

Chuck Pagano, anyone?
JeeQ
I'm guessing it's going to be McDermott... because... Eagles!
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 29 2015, 10:36 PM) *
A Philadelphia Catholic League Product who knows this city and it's culture real well.

He's worlds above where he was when he left here, and one of the most sought out candidates.

Didn't we fire McDermott and promote our O-Line coach to DC? I can't imagine he enjoyed the way that played out.
Eagles fire McDermott
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 29 2015, 10:36 PM) *

Maybe, but I'm thinking if there's an experienced coach available Lurie will go that route. Shurmer is an interesting thought, and he could bring back Bill Lazor as OC. There would be some continuity on offense but they have to get a new DC. Sunday's game could be sort of a job interview, but I still want them to pick in the top 10. sad.gif
mcnabbulous
Hue Jackson or Adam Gase please. We need someone who can develop a QB.
HobbEs
This team as constructed seems tailor made for a guy like Bill Cowher. A 3-4 defense and a couple of big RBs to play smashmouth football. A couple of tweaks here and there...plus adding a real Fullback and I can see us rolling again.
Zero
How about Dirk Koetter or David Shaw? Koetter and Hue Jackson are well respected with NFL experience but Shaw will probably want to stay at Stanford.
Eyrie
McDermott was fired because the defence had a poor season when he became the full time DC rather than simply taking over from Johnson just before the season started. He's developed a great deal as a co-ordinator since those early days.

He wasn't fired so that Castillo could replace him - there was a long gap whilst Reid tried to find a new DC before making the much derided decision to switch a good OL coach to the other side of the ball.

So Castillo is a red herring here.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 30 2015, 02:13 PM) *
McDermott was fired because the defence had a poor season when he became the full time DC rather than simply taking over from Johnson just before the season started. He's developed a great deal as a co-ordinator since those early days.

He wasn't fired so that Castillo could replace him - there was a long gap whilst Reid tried to find a new DC before making the much derided decision to switch a good OL coach to the other side of the ball.

So Castillo is a red herring here.

That may be accurate, but how would you feel if you were McDermott? Management failed to recognize that the D wasn't good, even while under JJ. McD was the first scapegoat. As for Castillo, he was a casualty of bad management.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 30 2015, 10:02 PM) *
That may be accurate, but how would you feel if you were McDermott? Management failed to recognize that the D wasn't good, even while under JJ. McD was the first scapegoat. As for Castillo, he was a casualty of bad management.

If McDermott wants to be a head coach then there are only 32 such jobs and the number of vacancies at any given time is limited, so it makes sense for him to take the opportunity. He may feel that somewhere else offers better prospects, but I'd be surprised if he regards what happened here as anything other than just business.

Look at how Trotter was happy to be back here after being very critical of the team when he left.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 30 2015, 05:41 PM) *
If McDermott wants to be a head coach then there are only 32 such jobs and the number of vacancies at any given time is limited, so it makes sense for him to take the opportunity. He may feel that somewhere else offers better prospects, but I'd be surprised if he regards what happened here as anything other than just business.

Look at how Trotter was happy to be back here after being very critical of the team when he left.

The difference is that Trotter was on the downside of his career, and was happy to have a job to contribute to. McDermott is on the upswing. He is one of the hotter NFL commodities. More importantly, coaches tend to have a longer shelf life than players.
mcnabbulous
Trotter was in his prime when that all went down.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 30 2015, 05:02 PM) *

If I'm not mistaken, Reid fired McD, not any of the people still here.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 30 2015, 07:02 PM) *
If I'm not mistaken, Reid fired McD, not any of the people still here.

2010 - Roseman was the GM and Lurie was the owner
Iggles Executives
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 30 2015, 11:28 PM) *
The difference is that Trotter was on the downside of his career, and was happy to have a job to contribute to. McDermott is on the upswing. He is one of the hotter NFL commodities. More importantly, coaches tend to have a longer shelf life than players.

He played another four years in the NFL, and was happy to come back here.

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 30 2015, 11:34 PM) *
Trotter was in his prime when that all went down.

So he had more reason to be annoyed about how the Eagles negotiated, whereas new co-ordinator whose defence was struggling was in a weak position and would understand that. McDermott will have to be ready to fire an underperforming co-ordinator when he is a head coach.

QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 31 2015, 12:53 AM) *
2010 - Roseman was the GM and Lurie was the owner
Iggles Executives

The decision was Reid's, and he isn't here any more.
HobbEs
Throwing a name out here...

How about Tom Clements from Green Bay? He's been in the league for a long time and was instrumental in developing Aaron Rogers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.