Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bye coach Kelly
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
I really thought you might have been on to something, but I'm really not sure you were ever well suited to handle pro players.

Best of luck.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 29 2015, 07:21 PM) *
I really thought you might have been on to something, but I'm really not sure you were ever well suited to handle pro players.

Best of luck.

I thought they would have waited til Monday, but...
xsv
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Dec 29 2015, 07:23 PM) *
I thought they would have waited til Monday, but...

I kind of like gettng the jump on all the other teams, in the hunt for a new coach, tbh.

Looks like we'll probably suck next year, tho. :-(
Zero
Well, if there were ever a chance to do a trade with Tennessee that's gone.
PhillySteaks
Best news of 2015!
This clown should never have been hired

It's over....I'm breaking out the bubbly! The Con is over!!!!

I only wish I was at EMB
Phits
I'm disappointed by the move. Even more so how did Davis or Shurmur escape the hatchet?
Zero
This must mean that Lurie is hiring a GM to build a new team.
rumply
huh, well they didnt fuck around with that decision...
SAM I Am
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 29 2015, 07:26 PM) *
I kind of like gettng the jump on all the other teams, in the hunt for a new coach, tbh.

Looks like we'll probably suck next year, tho. :-(

I think with Chip we were going to suck next year anyway.
Zero
Could we see Tom Gamble back?
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 29 2015, 07:28 PM) *
I'm disappointed by the move. Even more so how did Davis or Shurmur escape the hatchet?

I think the new GM that will be hired will come in, clean house, hire a new HC and let him create his own staff, and build a team via the draft, not free agency.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 29 2015, 07:28 PM) *
This must mean that Lurie is hiring a GM to build a new team.

Agreed. No shortcuts please.
rumply
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 29 2015, 08:28 PM) *

Be amazed if Davis will be coming back
Phits
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Dec 29 2015, 07:31 PM) *
I think the new GM that will be hired will come in, clean house, hire a new HC and let him create his own staff, and build a team via the draft, not free agency.

No successful team builds exclusively from the draft.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 29 2015, 07:35 PM) *
No successful team builds exclusively from the draft.

I didn't mean exclusively, but the core of your team should come via the draft.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 29 2015, 07:28 PM) *

They need to have coaches for the last game. Most, if not all of these guys will be gone after the Giants game. The new HC will hire his own staff.

The only real disappointment I have is the pie-in-the-sky hope that Chip would be traded to Tennessee for their first or second rounder. Now he's a free agent and will probably go back to college.
BirdsWinBaby
my bro-in-law was born and raised in Tennessee. we both laughed at the possibility of Chip being traded there

"we dont want your garbage"...the fans there like mariota...dont want Chip at all

but with this sudden move? a trade isnt necessary.

DOING HAPPY DANCE CUZ I DONT CARE IF TENN SUCKS!!

CHIP is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMNNNNNNNEEEEEEE!!!!!

nah nah nah nah....hey hey hey...GOODBYE!
JeeQ
Well... I said at the start of the season Chip was putting his career on the line... now he officially is the smartest man in the unemployment line
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 30 2015, 12:28 AM) *

The new head coach will make the decision on the coordinators. I am sure Davis will be gone an Shurmer probably will as well.
mcnabbulous
This seems like it must have been a power struggle over personnel. Seemed like that could/would be the thing that ended it.

Surprised, but not shocked it played out like this.

So...Adam Gase?
JeeQ
Can't help but laugh as the article right above this on my phone was DeSean Jackson telling the fans to "Blame Chip Kelly"

Oh, and TALENT > CULTURE biggrin.gif

TOP MATTERS happy.gif

SPORTS SCIENCE laugh.gif

Now how do we start getting rid of all the garbage you've brought in
Reality Fan
I agree.....some of us said as much....how would Kelly take having the personnel decisions taken away...

And I think we have our answer....

one thing is certain....the media hates him because they are killing him.....
CT_Eagle
I wonder how much Chip stating he was not the GM played in this decision. I know that if I am Lurie and Chip lobbies me to be the GM, dismantles the roster and then not only does not take responsibility but states he is not responsible, I would be pissed.
JeeQ
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Dec 29 2015, 05:27 PM) *
I wonder how much Chip stating he was not the GM played in this decision. I know that if I am Lurie and Chip lobbies me to be the GM, dismantles the roster and then not only does not take responsibility but states he is not responsible, I would be pissed.

Chip never saw a bus he didn't want to throw someone under
Pbfan
Sal Pao said lurie fires him after chip balks at the idea of giving up personnel power. If so then good riddence
eagleaddict
Shocked. I would have given him another year but my guess is he didn't want to relinquish personnel power. I don't see how Howie is absolved of the poor moves he has made, but he must be loving this! He's gotta have some dirt on Lurie.

Maybe we will see less penalties without our tempo. It always seemed refs hated being rushed.

Say what you will about Jackson, McCoy and maclin, but they would have been dangerous on the same field.

Gotta lose Sunday! Better pick and easier schedule could go a long way...
Phits
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Dec 29 2015, 08:37 PM) *
Sal Pao said lurie fires him after chip balks at the idea of giving up personnel power. If so then good riddence

I wouldn't give up the reins either. If you believe in your system, why would you voluntarily give it up?
PhillySteaks
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Dec 29 2015, 09:23 PM) *
Can't help but laugh as the article right above this on my phone was DeSean Jackson telling the fans to "Blame Chip Kelly"

Oh, and TALENT > CULTURE biggrin.gif

TOP MATTERS happy.gif

SPORTS SCIENCE laugh.gif

Now how do we start getting rid of all the garbage you've brought in

So much for smoothie shakes, loud music and flyswatters lol
Zero
Here's some funny and interesting updates: ----> Linc
Eyrie
I would have kept coach Kelly but didn't see how that could be reconciled with the need for new GM, so as far as I'm concerned this is a good move.

Sounds like Kelly forgot that he has to take responsibility for his failed personnel decisions in exactly the same way that he held the players accountable for failing to execute plays.

Zero
Zero
Macnow gives a good perspective on this.
And so now, heís gone. Who knows how long it will take to undo the mess left behind, with bad contracts, gaping talent holes and complete uncertainty at quarterback?

Itís now up to Lurie to clean the mess he helped create. And I doubt that Eagles fans are much encouraged that former GM Roseman is part of the small committee looking for a new coach and GM.

On the surface, the rebuild would appear to take years. But Reid took the team from 3-13 to 11-5 and a playoff win in two seasons. Kelly inherited a 4-12 squad and went 10-6 as a rookie. So, you never know.
Zero
Sheil Kapadia:
Kelly believed in shrinking the playbook on offense. The thinking was that if the players focused on perfecting foundational plays through a high number of reps at practice, they would be able to execute at a high level, regardless of the situation. Yet the Eagles too often seemed incapable of completing the simplest of tasks. They became more predictable, and defensive coordinators adjusted. Despite the innovative practice philosophy, Kelly coached a team that turned the ball over 65 times since the start of the 2014 season, more than any other team in the league.
Zero
Pete King:
Finally, I leave you with this: Jeffrey Lurie has been the poster boy for patience in the NFL. He kept an ill-equipped Ray Rhodes after a four-win season, and he kept Andy Reid for 14 years, and Reid never won a Super Bowl. Lurie is a patient man. But he wasn't patient with Kelly. Lurie knew something. Something happened that was untenable, and Lurie acted. I don't like it, but Iím not in his shoes. We'll see how it works. For those saying the Eagles will be fine with the best coordinator or best young coaching phenom ... cool. But remember: Chip Kelly was as imaginative a coach as has come into the NFL in years. We're seeing a different game now, with lots of deep passing and an emphasis on the strong-armed quarterbacks. Kelly recognized that. He was on the verge of making Sam Bradford realize his potential.
Zero
I had the same thought this morning. The owner having to pump up the team doesn't sound good.
Jaworski had a feeling Kelly would be canned in early December when hearing that Lurie called a team meeting after his team lost three in a row, the last two by routs to clubs with losing records.
Linc ...
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 30 2015, 12:07 PM) *
Reid took the team from 3-13 to 11-5 and a playoff win

Reid had the luxury of having the second overall pick in a QB heavy draft. That isn't the case this off-season.

Kelly inherited a 4-12 squad and went 10-6 as a rookie

Kelly brought a new style of play to the league and did it with a flawed team. He should have had the foresight to blow it up from the start, since expectations were low. I hope the new regime recognizes this and doesn't repeat the same errors.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.