Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you do at QB for next season?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Rick
I think it's a valid question. Bradford--as much as I was against the trade--has played himself into being an above average QB. If we had guys who could actually catch the ball, he'd have looked even better. A better OL and, who knows...

Anyway, here are the problems I see with trying to sign Bradford:

1. What is he worth? Now that he's looked good in the 2nd half of the season, many teams will be calling him as there is a huge shortage of decent QBs in the NFL right now (especially ones who are available). Some team will over-pay for him, do we over-pay and, if so, how much?
2. Other than the amount of money, how many years will he want and how many years will be willing to sign up for? We've seen other QBs who have played well for stretches only to prove they sucked in the long run.
3. Does he even WANT to resign with Philly? I mean, if I'm him, I'm thinking, "I'm getting beaten up behind the OL and I have a bunch of guys who can't catch the ball when I throw it to them." Does he want to be involved in this trainwreck next season? Unless, of course, Chip pledges to do something about these issues. That could set a very bad precedent of players making demands to him though.

My other idea is see if you can work a reasonable trade (if Chip is capable of doing such a thing) with SF and going after Kapernick. I think he'd be deadly in this offense and I think his personal issues are a function of the trainwreck of a front office they have in SF. If you could get him for a decent trade, it may be worth taking a shot on him...especially if you can't resign Bradford.

I know Kirk Cousins will be available, but I really don't think Washington will let him get away. They have no problem over-paying for people and, at least this time they have a guy who has performed in their uniform before over-paying. wink.gif

I'm not sure who else might be available other than that. It doesn't look like much coming out of college either (although, if there's someone who looks promising--and we can get him--we do need to think about bringing in a backup to learn).

I honestly think this is going to be the biggest problem in the offseason. It's not unreasonable to think we can shore up the OL. WR may be a problem but I don't think it's as hard to find a decent WR as it is to find a QB who can make a run. I think a lot of the defensive problems are on Billy Davis and his horrible version of an NFL defense.
SLOiggles
The elephant in the room will be Tom Condon, super-agent for the quarterbacks in the league. I could easily see him playing hardball with the Eagles in order to get semi-long term security for Bradford.
Phits
I think Chip goes hard at Bradford and we overpay for his services. CK is on the hot seat and can't afford to bring in another QB with a huge (potential) learning curve for his system and pace.

I know Bradford looked better the second half of the season, my concern is that he overachieved (if that's possible this year) and is playing for a contract. I'm not sold on the fact that he is significantly better than his (below average) career numbers. There is also an obvious synergy issue between him and the receivers (all of them -WR -TE -RB). The obscene amount of dropped passes have exceeded their potential for 'sucking'.

Chip has stated that a QB needs (at least) 3 years in a system to be truly effective. So I would look at that as the duration somewhere in the $17-19 million/year range (based on estimates from other sites).

In any event we will need a project QB and a backup QB (I expect Sanchez to be finished here after his contract runs out next season). If SF cuts Kap (like is being speculated) he would be an interesting project....for the right price.
PhillySteaks
Anyone but badford.....bustford was a mistake

Let some other fool overpay Glassford. ..
Rick
QUOTE (SLOiggles @ Dec 28 2015, 02:15 PM) *
The elephant in the room will be Tom Condon, super-agent for the quarterbacks in the league. I could easily see him playing hardball with the Eagles in order to get semi-long term security for Bradford.

Oh I have absolutely NO doubt they'll be playing hardball. I know I would in this situation. It's a sellers' market right now at QB. And he's proven he can (at least) play at a relatively high level in the NFL with a dysfunctional offense even.
Rick
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 28 2015, 02:15 PM) *
I think Chip goes hard at Bradford and we overpay for his services. CK is on the hot seat and can't afford to bring in another QB with a huge (potential) learning curve for his system and pace.

I know Bradford looked better the second half of the season, my concern is that he overachieved (if that's possible this year) and is playing for a contract. I'm not sold on the fact that he is significantly better than his (below average) career numbers. There is also an obvious synergy issue between him and the receivers (all of them -WR -TE -RB). The obscene amount of dropped passes have exceeded their potential for 'sucking'.

Chip has stated that a QB needs (at least) 3 years in a system to be truly effective. So I would look at that as the duration somewhere in the $17-19 million/year range (based on estimates from other sites).

In any event we will need a project QB and a backup QB (I expect Sanchez to be finished here after his contract runs out next season). If SF cuts Kap (like is being speculated) he would be an interesting project....for the right price.

I tend to agree he'll go after Bradford pretty hard. Whomever Bradford plays for will have to over-pay him, there's no doubt about it. I just hope, if it's the Eagles who are doing the over-paying, they don't get burned like they have in the past with QBs who looked good only to then suck balls.

I don't believe he over-achieved in the sense that he does have some talent. I believe he has the tools to be a very good QB but has not really shown that he can be at the NFL level. We saw glimpses of that at times in the 2nd half of the season. With an offseason in the weight room, I think he'll look even stronger. I had to listen to the game on Saturday but watched the AZ game and I thought he was throwing the ball stronger (physically) than I'd seen him all season. He certainly was throwing with more confidence and he seems to be handling that dirty pocket better than he's done in the past.

Believe me, I was 100% anti-Bradford when they made the trade. I was 100% anti-Bradford up until he got hurt earlier this season. He came back and looked a LOT better. Certainly good enough to have won many of those games if we didn't have such a horrible defense and receivers who seem to think they'll get paid more for dropping the ball than actually catching it.

Am I 100% sold on Bradford? Not yet, maybe 75% at this point. But our options are severely limited at this point. I do still think Kapernick would be deadly in this type of offense but, I agree, Chip probably isn't going to want to reboot with another QB at this point knowing he's probably on thin ice at this time. But I think he could be successful from the start because he can and will tuck the ball and run every so often. This certainly would loosen up the defense a bit down the field. But I realize, it may just be a pipe dream.

But I wouldn't be totally upset with Bradford back. I just hate the thought of what they'll have to pay him with the state of QB play in the NFL currently. I'm hopeful this season--with all of the drops--is the exception rather than the rule. I will say, the NFL as a whole seems to have had a LOT of drops this season. Not sure if it really is worse or not but it certainly seems to be. I have no idea why either. But I am sick of seeing guys missing balls all over the place. I'm sick of never seeing one of our receivers making a great play on a ball and making the catch. But I digress...
Rick
QUOTE (PhillySteaks @ Dec 28 2015, 03:09 PM) *
Anyone but badford.....bustford was a mistake

Let some other fool overpay Glassford. ..

I'm not going to get into an argument about what Bradford did or didn't do this season. But, if not Bradford, then WHOM do you suggest? What are our options? I don't think Cousins will be in another uniform next season. What other QBs will be FAs next season? I honestly don't know but I don't think there are any that would be any kind of an upgrade over Bradford.
Eyrie
I'm still not convinced by Bradford but he has looked better since coming back from injury.

However I look round the rest of the league to see if there are better options available before committing to Bradford. If I felt I could get a good QB in the draft then I might simply look for a one year filler at QB whilst I develop the rookie.

The second option could appeal to Kelly since it would enable him to tell Lurie he shouldn't be judged on 2016 but on how the draft pick plays in 2017.
mcnabbulous
I can't envision a scenario where Chip starts over with a new QB next season. Nor do I think Chip is trying to convince Lurie that he needs more time.

If we don't see a big step forward next year, led by Chip's hand picked, 2nd year in system QB, I don't think Chip returns in '17.

Chip has said it takes 3 years for a guy to thrive in any system. We seem to be seeing that with Palmer and Alex Smith. We probably shouldn't realistically expect to compete until 2017. We need to make the right moves over the next two offseasons to find ourselves in that position.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 28 2015, 05:46 PM) *
I can't envision a scenario where Chip starts over with a new QB next season.

I read a quote by Bradford saying he didn't want to start in a new system again either.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 28 2015, 05:27 PM) *
I read a quote by Bradford saying he didn't want to start in a new system again either.

It would be a pretty bad strategic move at this point in both of their careers.
The Franchise
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 28 2015, 05:46 PM) *
We probably shouldn't realistically expect to compete until 2017.

Can you link us to your preseason prediction for this team? Let me guess, 12-4 and a Super Bowl appearance?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.