Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking for help
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
Does anyone have any confidence that this season is an aberration and that Kelly can fix it? I'm not talking about this week or next week, I mean next year and 2017, etc. Right now, I don't and I'm hoping someone can point this optimist to a more happy place.

I don't much care if the win the next game or the last game. Between the OL and the health of the CBs I figure the season is over and here's my dilemma: does the GM have what it takes to make the changes needed?

At first, I didn't want Kelly to be hired, I wanted Bradley and didn't know about Ariens. The first two years changed my mind but in retrospect, the first year was fun and then the team started trending backwards. I didn't have a problem letting DJax go and thought the trade with Buffalo would work replacing McCoy with Gore (Murray) and Mathews and adding Alonso. Letting Maclin move on wasn't good but there had to be some financial discipline so I accepted it. Bradford for Foles and picks is still a deal I can support.

But, ignoring the OL for two years and failing to replace Maclin with a viable WR are major issues. Despite my excitement of taking Murray from the Cowboys, as DKD I didn't realize he wasn't a fit here. Not only was it a breach of that financial discipline, but it cripples that discipline for at least another year making it much more difficult to recover from the WR and OL mistakes.

And, because of those issues, it may be that the team is worse off at QB than they were before they traded Foles. If Bradford declines to return as a tackling dummy they're starting over again and who's to say that a Kaepernick acquisition is either a positive move or that he'd want to be part of this mess.

QB/WR and OL familiarity is critical for good teams and no matter how you slice it, those two things will be challenged in 2016. Someone talk me down, please. I'm headed for the Ben without a chute or a raft.
Rick
Honestly, I believe he may be able to right the ship if he brings in a good DC and corrects the mistakes he made in getting rid of tons of talent and not restocking the OL. He has shown he is willing to adjust in the past few games (look at the Murray situation).

However, this team has real issues at a few positions, mainly, OL and WR. Yes, we could use some better CBs but I believe a good DC will put them in a better position to succeed a bit more. I also think some of the younger CBs we have are showing some promise and, as long as they improve and learn from their mistakes, they can be decent.

I think the offense can still be very good if we get some WRs who do a better job at getting open and the team--as a whole--catches the ball better than they have this season. Shore up the OL a bit and that will go a long way to improving everything about the offense. I hate to admit it but I think Bradford has been coming around lately. The other night he threw the ball with more confidence than I've seen him throw it all season. Yes, the turnovers hurt but the interceptions came during garbage time (in all honesty) so, while I hate to see them, I'm taking those as him pressing because they were down big. He has shown (prior to this game) he can protect the ball. He needs to get better at seeing open receivers and he's gotta get on the same page as his receivers on routes where the receiver has a choice which way to break. I'm hoping that will come with more time working with them.

The problem is, as Bradford is playing better, other teams WILL make a play for him this offseason. There isn't a whole lot out there available so his value will be inflated. So, the question will be, do we pony up and pay Bradford hoping he'll continue to get better or do we let him walk and hope for the best?

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing them go after Kapernick if they could get him by not giving up too much. He has shown he can make the throws and his mobility would be deadly in this offense. The question is his mental state. After seeing the train wreck over in SF, I'm thinking that is more a function of the front office than him as a person. But it would be a gamble and, because of that, we might be able to get him for a reasonable trade. However, I'm sure other teams are thinking the same thing so it may be tough.

I still see Kelly's offense (in theory) working. He was right earlier in the season that they weren't executing and that is a big reason they've struggled. Problem is, a big part of the reason they aren't executing is because of the personnel they have at certain positions. I'm not sure I think Kelly the GM will do a good job at making the right moves or he'll give up too much on players that won't fit. We only have 1 season to go on with his GM abilities but he's been pretty bad in this one year.

So, we have a lot of holes which need to be filled. I doubt they'll all get filled in the offseason but they can be filled eventually.
Zero
He needs to get better at seeing open receivers and he's gotta get on the same page as his receivers on routes where the receiver has a choice which way to break.

When he hasn't been a punching bag he's done pretty well finding the open guys lately. That's the OL issue. That INT meant for Mathews Kelly dumped on Bradford. This is both OL and familiarity.

He was right earlier in the season that they weren't executing and that is a big reason they've struggled. Problem is, a big part of the reason they aren't executing is because of the personnel they have at certain positions.

Yeah, the personnel on the OL is the major issue and it's crippling the run game and Bradford. Outside of that, the coordinator on the other side of the ball isn't scheming to the players he has. They may not be a group of all pros, but his schemes frequently play against their strengths instead of to them.

So, we have a lot of holes which need to be filled.

That's the point of my journey to the Ben ... is he capable of filling the holes he's created? OL, WR and DC are critical priorities. Can he? Will he? He can sign a "good" WR in FA, not top tier but a dependable #2 to go along with Matthews. Will he? He can sign a "good" G in FA. Will he? He can draft good potential at G ... he should use the Lito/Sheldon theory of positional improvement.
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 22 2015, 08:44 AM) *
When he hasn't been a punching bag he's done pretty well finding the open guys lately. That's the OL issue. That INT meant for Mathews Kelly dumped on Bradford. This is both OL and familiarity.

Yeah, the personnel on the OL is the major issue and it's crippling the run game and Bradford. Outside of that, the coordinator on the other side of the ball isn't scheming to the players he has. They may not be a group of all pros, but his schemes frequently play against their strengths instead of to them.

That's the point of my journey to the Ben ... is he capable of filling the holes he's created? OL, WR and DC are critical priorities. Can he? Will he? He can sign a "good" WR in FA, not top tier but a dependable #2 to go along with Matthews. Will he? He can sign a "good" G in FA. Will he? He can draft good potential at G ... he should use the Lito/Sheldon theory of positional improvement.

As I mentioned--and everyone else around here--the OL is a major issue for sure. However, some of Bradford's woes are on him as well. The OL hasn't been as bad as it COULD have been. He has had time and has missed open receivers. Other times he just plain made bad throws to open receivers. I'm hoping a lot of this (other than the part that is because of the OL struggles) has been because of rust and unfamiliarity. With the way he's been playing lately, it certainly seems as if he's been getting closer to being on the same page with everyone and has been understanding the offense a bit better.

Kelly did create a lot of holes, however, I can understand him wanting to get HIS players in. Almost all new coaches do this but most of them do it as soon as they come in. I think he recognized he had some talent and worked with it and then decided the talent wasn't getting them where they need to be (in the SB) and started a rebuilding process. Now, has he gone about the rebuilding in the best way? That is debatable and that's why I'm not sold on Kelly as a GM. But he's been showing (lately) he's willing to adjust even when it shows he made a mistake (Murray is a shining example of that).

So I think it all can be done, I'm just not sure if he can do it as GM (filling those holes). But, again, we have one season to look at (as GM). I would be happy if they got a GM with experience but I won't renounce my love for the Eagles if they don't. Now, if Davis is back next season I can't speak for what I'll do.... wink.gif
HobbEs
Hmmm...if Bradford bolts does anyone think AJ McCarron could be an option?
Reality Fan
The defense has talent and is relatively young.....they just have a terrible leader...and they know it...

This offseason they can focus on the offense.....OL and WR...and a little DL help on defense...

They are not as bad as the defense has looked this year...it is a case of Davis being a terrible coach...not tthat they are bereft of talent...Example A is Patrick Chung......
Rick
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Dec 22 2015, 09:13 AM) *

I have not seen enough of him to have an opinion either way.
Zero
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Dec 22 2015, 09:13 AM) *

Why would the Bengals trade him? Not because of his wife. wub.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.