Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We're On To Washington
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
We are who we thought we were, a much lesser team than Arizona.

That doesn't change the fact that we have a divisional foe, who everyone and their mother thought was inferior to us and quite frankly, better be shown to be inferior to us Saturday night.

Win that game, and we can talk about the playoff possibilities.

Lose that game and we face harsher realities than ever pondered.

We need this team to win, if for no other reason that we cannot get into Phillies, Flyers and Sixers mode yet.

We need to beat the Washington Redskins for at home crissakes. We are fortunate to be in that position. 75% of the NFL would take advantage of that. We need to be as good as 75% of the NFL to have the right to think of the playoffs for another week.

Let's kick the Redskins Ass Saturday Night!!!
JeeQ
I'm with you solely not to see DeSean's smug grin on the sidelines as he hoots and hollers about being an Eagles Slayer
mcnabbulous
If we can't beat Was at home, we are in much worse shape than I thought.
samaroo
Heartily agree with all.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 21 2015, 02:09 PM) *
We need this team to win, if for no other reason that we cannot get into Phillies, Flyers and Sixers mode yet.

Please let me know when we can get into any of those teams. Probably around 2025, right?
Zero
I have no idea what you guys are watching, but Washington looks like a more complete team than the Eagles from what I'm seeing.

Our OL has morphed from a strength two years ago to a total liability now. The DL could be dominant but is inconsistent. The WRs are a #2, three #4s and a rookie who's playing like a bust. The LBs have talent but are inconsistent and the DBs are unreliable. The RBs are good enough but without an OL opening holes they're a non-factor and the TEs are good enough but without WRs or a running game can be contained. Bradford is starting to get there, but nobody knows if he'll either have the weapons to take the next step or if he'll even want to come back. There is no depth.

The offense needs players and the defense needs a new coach. I have no confidence this team can beat anyone on a given Sunday and when they do I wonder if they won or if the other team lost. A season that started with hope is ending with depression. This is a hard to team to be excited about.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 21 2015, 08:02 AM) *
I have no idea what you guys are watching, but Washington looks like a more complete team than the Eagles from what I'm seeing.

^^This.

Add to that the fact that Cousins is playing good football. He's a much more accurate passer than he is given credit for. Since getting trounced by the Pats in Wk 9 he's completed 75% of his passes 12 TD's - 2 INT . WAS has taken advantage of mediocre opponents, like we should have done vs TB and DET, and have gone 4-2 down the stretch (including a stinker in Carolina).

We might want to point at them and laugh, but we are in no position to do so. They are a divisional opponent and that generally means a close/tight game. With our QB's Jekyll & Hyde persona and his propensity for throwing bone headed INT's this game has disaster written all over it.
mcnabbulous
They look more competent in Washington, but they've continued to be bad on the road.

That's really our only hope in this one.
SAM I Am

I'm with you here.

Our OL has morphed from a strength two years ago to a total liability now. The DL could be dominant but is inconsistent. The WRs are a #2, three #4s and a rookie who's playing like a bust. The LBs have talent but are inconsistent and the DBs are unreliable. The RBs are good enough but without an OL opening holes they're a non-factor and the TEs are good enough but without WRs or a running game can be contained.

Now that is a really bleak outlook, but sadly also pretty darn accurate IMO.

Bradford is starting to get there, but nobody knows if he'll either have the weapons to take the next step or if he'll even want to come back.

If I'm Bradford, after the beating I took last night, I'd definitely be all ears to any offers out there where they may actually be able to keep me from getting my back and head slammed into the turf so much.

The offense needs players and the defense needs a new coach. I have no confidence this team can beat anyone on a given Sunday and when they do I wonder if they won or if the other team lost. A season that started with hope is ending with depression. This is a hard to team to be excited about.

Once again, I'm with you here.

I actually thought the final leg of the season --- say the last four games --- is when we would see it all coming together, if it was going to come together, but it isn't looking that way.

I guess GM Chip will load up for Dream Team III in the off season. At this point, he has nothing to lose. He probably knows it's either make something big happen next year or it's back to school.
samaroo
How is the team that played TB and DET the same one that played NE and BUF?
nephillymike

Our OL has morphed from a strength two years ago to a total liability now. The DL could be dominant but is inconsistent. The WRs are a #2, three #4s and a rookie who's playing like a bust. The LBs have talent but are inconsistent and the DBs are unreliable. The RBs are good enough but without an OL opening holes they're a non-factor and the TEs are good enough but without WRs or a running game can be contained. Bradford is starting to get there, but nobody knows if he'll either have the weapons to take the next step or if he'll even want to come back. There is no depth.

And THIS guy is the board cheerleader!!
Joegrane
I'm not getting a pleasant feeling about this one after the injuries to the starting CBs and nose tackle.

In addition, the situation with D Murray appears to be becoming ugly. If so, I wonder what affect that is having in the locker room. We'll have plenty of time to discuss the cap hit.

I fear this really weird season is about to end.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 23 2015, 12:17 AM) *
I'm not getting a pleasant feeling about this one after the injuries to the starting CBs and nose tackle.

In addition, the situation with D Murray appears to be becoming ugly. If so, I wonder what affect that is having in the locker room. We'll have plenty of time to discuss the cap hit.

I fear this really weird season is about to end.

Oh no Joe......we will likely not be so lucky....

the way this season is going we will end up beating Washington....get everyone excited and then lose to the Giants next week.....
Joegrane
That's probably a better way for it to end in this weird NFC East : )

Loosing on some type of a weird, dysfunctional play would be suitable.

Tie score with 30 seconds remaining. Bradford trips over his own O Lineman at the Giant's 10 yard line, lands on his head and gets a concussion.

Sanchez and D. Murray run into each other loosing the ball.

Giants recover but during the return the linebacker runs into his own blocker at the Eagles 10 yd line and fumbles the ball out of bounds.

On third down the Giants line up to kick a winning FG but the snap is high and fumbled.

In a scrum that includes offsetting unsportsman-like penalties the Giants recover and kick a FG that clanks off the upright and in for the winner.

The Skins bring in R Griffin in the Red zone for a Wildcat play. He makes a brilliant spin move, then as he approaches the goal line, inexplicably he decides to do a flying-forward-somersault-pike dive into the endzone. Instead he fumbles the ball away to a Cowgirls DB who takes it to the house for 1 pt win.

Giants win the division.

Ray Didinger says the Eagles are tracking downward from where they were earlier in the season and the Skins are tracking upward over that time.

I don't agree that the Eagles are tracking downward. Clearly Bradford is playing better and has better rapport with the receivers. The O Line at least is not a sieve. However the D that at times carried the team with strong run D and turnovers is banged up an vulnerable.

I think Ray is hinting to Eagles fans that this game is not going to go the way they want it.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 23 2015, 12:55 PM) *
Oh no Joe......we will likely not be so lucky....

the way this season is going we will end up beating Washington....get everyone excited and then lose to the Giants next week.....
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 23 2015, 11:40 PM) *
Ray Didinger says the Eagles are tracking downward from where they were earlier in the season and the Skins are tracking upward over that time.

I don't agree that the Eagles are tracking downward. Clearly Bradford is playing better and has better rapport with the receivers. The O Line at least is not a sieve. However the D that at times carried the team with strong run D and turnovers is banged up an vulnerable.

I think Ray is hinting to Eagles fans that this game is not going to go the way they want it.

I think Bradford kicked Ray's bulldog.....lol

I like Ray a lot...he is a great guy and believe it or not we have traded emails quite a few times...his wife is a dog lover and Ray helps her with it....just a great human being...

That being said it is weird how much he does not like Bradford at all......While I think it is clear that Bradford has steadily improved Ray is still disliking him with extreme prejudice....

He knows more about football than anyone I read but between his take on Algohar who he loved and loves and Bradford...he has me scratching my head...
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 23 2015, 11:57 PM) *
I think Bradford kicked Ray's bulldog.....lol

I like Ray a lot...he is a great guy and believe it or not we have traded emails quite a few times...his wife is a dog lover and Ray helps her with it....just a great human being...

That being said it is weird how much he does not like Bradford at all......While I think it is clear that Bradford has steadily improved Ray is still disliking him with extreme prejudice....

He knows more about football than anyone I read but between his take on Algohar who he loved and loves and Bradford...he has me scratching my head...

I like Ray a lot too and have traded e-mails and met him in person a few times.

He's a real gem in this city.

While I think he risks over exposure as of late, you know two things about Ray:

#1 He is very conservative and rarely goes out on a limb.
#2 He is not a fan in his analysis. Tries to give a hard cold, "just the facts" angle.

#2 gives annoys the shit out of rah rah fans, sometimes to the point of them having a severe dislike of him. A friend of mine is one of the nicest guys around and a big time fan, but he is always a glass 100% full type of guy. The Eagles can do no wrong. He would be by far the most rah rah guy around here, to the point of ridicule. I call this guy for encouragement during the tough times to talk me off the ledge. He hates Ray, and has sent him numerous e-mails in disagreement over the years. He always hated that Ray insisted on Reid running the ball more to give Nabby a fighting chance. When he gave the Gov the "Reality Check" moment, this guy was beside himself! It is this down to earth approach that annoys some.

I think what you are hearing, not just from Ray, but from Baldy and Jaws, and DeCamera, and Westbrook and Joyner and Brooks, are concerns about Bradford. These are the guys who watch the tape every week and see the missed opportunities, the cut short read progressions, the abundance of safe check downs. It's not that they are married to a way of thinking about Bradford, a guy like Brooks was his biggest proponent, preseason. Bradford has played a lot better than he was, even with the turnovers, and has hung in the pocket to get hit on some occasions. But he is still missing the vision, the will, the "it" factor to go down field. My two brothers-in-law and my nephew went to the ARI game. I asked them to watch the down field action to see of any opportunities. They've all played football through high school on the offensive side of the ball for some good programs so they know a little. Peterson had Algholar blanketed almost the entire game and took him out, he was a non factor. However, on the other side, and in the slot when they went long, there were many opportunities with time to throw that we checked down. Sure Cooper, Huff and Matthews could have dropped them, but you need a QB who takes those shots. This is especially true with the way the defenses have been playing us; safeties up close, shutting down our desired short passing game and running game. Sometimes taking what the D gives us is not the 4 yard crossing pattern, it's the long bomb to a below average WR. The D isn't "giving us" the four yard crossing pattern. They're jumping on it and killing our WR's.

These next two games, and Lord willing a playoff game, will be critical for the evaluation of the QB. He hasn't had many big games as a QB in his pro career, and the stakes go up in these times. If given the late in the year same cards as Foles and Sanchez, a sub par D and no gift TD's from ST's and the D, can he rise above it all and take a so so offense to important wins, during important times. He has the opportunity to do so. He needs to come up big.

The book is still open.
Rick
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 24 2015, 07:01 AM) *
My two brothers-in-law and my nephew went to the ARI game. I asked them to watch the down field action to see of any opportunities. They've all played football through high school on the offensive side of the ball for some good programs so they know a little. Peterson had Algholar blanketed almost the entire game and took him out, he was a non factor. However, on the other side, and in the slot when they went long, there were many opportunities with time to throw that we checked down. Sure Cooper, Huff and Matthews could have dropped them, but you need a QB who takes those shots. This is especially true with the way the defenses have been playing us; safeties up close, shutting down our desired short passing game and running game. Sometimes taking what the D gives us is not the 4 yard crossing pattern, it's the long bomb to a below average WR. The D isn't "giving us" the four yard crossing pattern. They're jumping on it and killing our WR's.

I've been to a couple of games this season and I couldn't agree more. There are receivers open on almost every play. But Bradford doesn't see them. He seems to have gotten a little better as the season has gone on but he's still missing people.

I also still say--in this day in the NFL--you HAVE to attempt going deep more often. You may not make a completion but they call pass interference so easily you've got a good shot at getting a penalty. At the least, you get the defense realizing you're going to try it every so often and they can't just sit on the short routes. I'm seeing them try to go deep a bit more often so that's a good sign.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 24 2015, 07:01 AM) *
These next two games, and Lord willing a playoff game, will be critical for the evaluation of the QB. He hasn't had many big games as a QB in his pro career, and the stakes go up in these times. If given the late in the year same cards as Foles and Sanchez, a sub par D and no gift TD's from ST's and the D, can he rise above it all and take a so so offense to important wins, during important times. He has the opportunity to do so. He needs to come up big.

The book is still open.

Agree completely with this part...the next 2 games will define Bradford...

and fwiw...Brooks still likes Bradford...lol

Joegrane
I wonder if he does not see them or just does not trust certain receivers.

QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 24 2015, 07:12 AM) *
I've been to a couple of games this season and I couldn't agree more. There are receivers open on almost every play. But Bradford doesn't see them. He seems to have gotten a little better as the season has gone on but he's still missing people.

I also still say--in this day in the NFL--you HAVE to attempt going deep more often. You may not make a completion but they call pass interference so easily you've got a good shot at getting a penalty. At the least, you get the defense realizing you're going to try it every so often and they can't just sit on the short routes. I'm seeing them try to go deep a bit more often so that's a good sign.

Rick
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 24 2015, 10:41 AM) *
I wonder if he does not see them or just does not trust certain receivers.

Either way, that's pretty bad. When I'm saying open receivers, I'm saying WIDE FRIGGIN' OPEN!!! Like, nobody within 10 yards at times.

He needs to throw the ball to the open receiver, that's his job. Catching it is the receiver's job.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 24 2015, 02:10 PM) *
Either way, that's pretty bad. When I'm saying open receivers, I'm saying WIDE FRIGGIN' OPEN!!! Like, nobody within 10 yards at times.

He needs to throw the ball to the open receiver, that's his job. Catching it is the receiver's job.

Yep, wide friggin' open. More than a few in this game, a ton vs BUF.

My brother in law said it with a different adjective!!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 24 2015, 03:16 PM) *

See....now it gets ridiculous.....

Has he missed a WR breaking free? sure he has...every QB does...and he may have missed more than he should have but now the same WRs who can't get open are roaming free through secondaries?

Too damn funny...
Phits
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 24 2015, 02:10 PM) *

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 24 2015, 03:16 PM) *

I have read this on a number of different sites. If you watch the TD pass to Agholor, there was a much easier pass along the sideline to the TE (who was wide open) that would have (likely) resulted in a TD.

While it was a beautiful pass and resulted in a TD, it makes me wonder how often he's locked on a receiver and missed out opportunities as a result.

Agholor TD catch
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 24 2015, 04:10 PM) *

Has he missed a WR breaking free? sure he has...every QB does...and he may have missed more than he should have but now the same WRs who can't get open are roaming free through secondaries?

Too damn funny...

NO fight tonight.

Even Snoopy and the Red Baron called a Christmas Eve truce.

Merry Christmas RF.

PS. The game is 8:25 Saturday night, so there si no excuse to be entertaining a woman friend and forget about it.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 24 2015, 06:21 PM) *
I have read this on a number of different sites. If you watch the TD pass to Agholor, there was a much easier pass along the sideline to the TE (who was wide open) that would have (likely) resulted in a TD.

While it was a beautiful pass and resulted in a TD, it makes me wonder how often he's locked on a receiver and missed out opportunities as a result.

Agholor TD catch

So now we have taken to the point were even the deep pass he does throw AND get a TD to WR who is behind a safety is the wrong throw because the TE is open on the flat because of a blown coverage?

I hope Bradford goes elsewhere next season...this has become ridiculous..

Also...if you listen to Jaworski he blames the scheme and the lack of audibles in the system that allows Bradford to change to deep throws..in other words...Bradford is throwing to where Kelly wants him to throw it..
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 24 2015, 06:44 PM) *
So now we have taken to the point were even the deep pass he does throw AND get a TD to WR who is behind a safety is the wrong throw because the TE is open on the flat because of a blown coverage?

I hope Bradford goes elsewhere next season...this has become ridiculous..

Also...if you listen to Jaworski he blames the scheme and the lack of audibles in the system that allows Bradford to change to deep throws..in other words...Bradford is throwing to where Kelly wants him to throw it..

Just curious, what would be your critique of Bradford? or is he flawless and escapes all blame?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 24 2015, 06:47 PM) *
Just curious, what would be your critique of Bradford? or is he flawless and escapes all blame?

A fair question....

I think he has gotten progressively better...which was to be expected after sitting out 2 years with consecutive ACLs to the same knee AND learning a completely new offense and philosophy. I admit I was overly optimistic with his snippets in the preseason. He made tons of mistakes in the first 5-6 games....again...understandable while he figured out if his knee was really fixed this time. Those mistakes have dwindled but not completely disappeared. I would like to see him have some control over the offense but I don't see that happening. Trying to look at this realistically I think he has shown some really good things.....and I think there are going to be several teams looking at him...even Mikey's witness for the prosecution Jaworski said that this week.

He is far from perfect but he has shown quite a bit the last several games with a cast that is very suspect in a scheme that gets him smacked around.

But what makes me scratch my head is all these folks saying on one hand that our WRs suck and then in the next that they are running free in the secondary and they do not realize how ridiculous that sounds. I am not saying it never happens...it happens to every team but many times it is because a play is designed to do something specific and if that route is open and thrown that way it does not matter if the opposite side guy is wide open....the ball goes to where it was schemed to go....again...he has missed some guys but nothing out of the ordinary on every NFL team..

I want them to sign Bradford...it helped that the crowd roared to welcome him back when he got crushed and missed a play....but my guess is he heads to another team next year so this will all be moot.

That was a lot of words to say I think he is pretty good but not without fault.....hard to completely evaluate him without a WR that can get deep in less than 2 minutes.

Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 24 2015, 10:40 PM) *
I want them to sign Bradford...it helped that the crowd roared to welcome him back when he got crushed and missed a play....but my guess is he heads to another team next year so this will all be moot.

For one, I'll be enormously pissed if they try to keep him but fail ... for whatever reason. It's not that I love Bradford that much, although I agree with most of what you've said. My point will be that they threw away a second round pick for a one year rental that gave him a ticket to get back in the NFL. That's the kind of mojo this franchise seems to attract, nourish and even regenerate.

I was in favor of the trade and wouldn't have been too upset if he didn't work out for some reason. It was a risk to improve the team, that it seems to be working is good news. If they just let him walk I'll join the friggin Axis! mad.gif BTW, I also think they absolutely need to have a viable young talent to nurture.
Rick
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 24 2015, 04:10 PM) *

Too damn funny...

I know I never said specifically WRs being wide open. I'm saying receivers. Not sure if you've been to any games this season but, as you know, going to a game and seeing the whole field on every play affords you to see what is (or isn't) open that you can't see on TV. There were many instances where there was a receiver wide open somewhere on the field that Bradford just plain didn't see. I can attribute some of that to being in a new offense and having rust but, the last game I went to was the Giants game in Philly. By then, he'd had half the season to get to know the offense. So I can't attribute ALL of it to a new offense.

Chip's offense does very well at getting guys open somewhere on the field on almost every play. The problem has been either the OL hasn't given the QB enough time to find the open receiver (not as big a problem as some have made it out to be) or the QB hasn't seen/thrown to the open receiver. Sure, they're not going to hit every play but it's been a bigger problem than it should be at this level.

I have not been to a game since then so I cannot say whether he has gotten better or not in this part of his game. I will say, he seems to have gotten better in almost every other aspect of his game so I'm thinking this must have gotten better, too.
nephillymike
I saw my in-laws who were at the game last night at our Christmas dinner.

One thing they said, which I agree with but haven't heard mentioned, is Bradford's habit of staring down the Wr he's throwing it to, as opposed to looking the S off. If causes the WR's to be hit hard a lot and the S's to limiting our gains.

I wonder if some of this could be system.

Is Chip's need for speed such that the reads go short to long, as opposed to long to short?

Is Chip's need for speed such that you run a play that is well covered by the D rather than take the extra 7 seconds to audible into a better one?

Is Chip's need for speed such that you don't call as many long pass patterns, for fear of the extra five seconds it will take to line up after completing them?

There could be such an emphasis on speed that some of these things are ingrained in the QB and play calling, which are STUPID in the big picture IMO, but may be limiting what we do through bad habits.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 26 2015, 07:00 AM) *
I saw my in-laws who were at the game last night at our Christmas dinner.

One thing they said, which I agree with but haven't heard mentioned, is Bradford's habit of staring down the Wr he's throwing it to, as opposed to looking the S off. If causes the WR's to be hit hard a lot and the S's to limiting our gains.

I wonder if some of this could be system.

Is Chip's need for speed such that the reads go short to long, as opposed to long to short?

Is Chip's need for speed such that you run a play that is well covered by the D rather than take the extra 7 seconds to audible into a better one?

Is Chip's need for speed such that you don't call as many long pass patterns, for fear of the extra five seconds it will take to line up after completing them?

There could be such an emphasis on speed that some of these things are ingrained in the QB and play calling, which are STUPID in the big picture IMO, but may be limiting what we do through bad habits.

This reminded me of a story I think I shared here......after an Eagle's game I was take the train back to my car in Fern Rock and there were 2 drunk Eagle's fans gabbing about the loss......one guy says to the other guy...."Cunningham stank...I could see every time that he kept his eyes on the WR every time".....I was in a bad mood so I asked him.."how the fuck did you see his eyes?...he was wearing a black visor?"....silence ensued...lol

I think it may be predictability that is the reason for what you point out...you make a very valid point....the crossing routes get the WRs smacked......the rest also makes sense...it seems more and more apparent that there is little autonomy in this offense for the QB to improvise.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 26 2015, 10:41 AM) *
This reminded me of a story I think I shared here......after an Eagle's game I was take the train back to my car in Fern Rock

laugh.gif

The dreaded ride back to Fern Rock after a loss, packed in like cattle for the first 15 minutes listening to drunks rant. Ugh.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 26 2015, 04:30 PM) *
laugh.gif

The dreaded ride back to Fern Rock after a loss, packed in like cattle for the first 15 minutes listening to drunks rant. Ugh.

hahaha...I know...right?......for years it was my go to spot though.....back when traffic was brutal to get out of the stadium area...
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 26 2015, 04:53 PM) *
hahaha...I know...right?......for years it was my go to spot though.....back when traffic was brutal to get out of the stadium area...

I grew up about 2 miles from the Fern Rock station.

We used to walk there when I was a teenager to catch the Subway to go to and from Phils and Eagles games.

Was always an interesting time.

Harvey's pizza at 9th and Godfrey was always a good spot for pre or post game pizza.
The Franchise
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 26 2015, 07:47 PM) *
I grew up about 2 miles from the Fern Rock station.

We used to walk there when I was a teenager to catch the Subway to go to and from Phils and Eagles games.

I wouldn't be walking through that area now.....
nephillymike
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 26 2015, 09:23 PM) *
I wouldn't be walking through that area now.....

Even back then, the west side of 7th street was no picnic.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 26 2015, 10:08 PM) *
Even back then, the west side of 7th street was no picnic.

what a bunch of sissies...lol

We would drink on the way down and I would get off the first or 2nd stop to find an alley to water the flowers....lol
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 26 2015, 10:12 PM) *
what a bunch of sissies...lol

We would drink on the way down and I would get off the first or 2nd stop to find an alley to water the flowers....lol

The first or second stop, where? OLney, logan?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.