Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Herremans waived
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Reality Fan
It can't hurt....
Eyrie
I thought it was the right decision to let him go in the spring, but as short term veteran depth he'd at least be familiar with our system. Bringing him back though would be an admission by Kelly that he got the OL badly wrong last offseason so I don't see it happening.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 15 2015, 05:45 PM) *
I thought it was the right decision to let him go in the spring, but as short term veteran depth he'd at least be familiar with our system. Bringing him back though would be an admission by Kelly that he got the OL badly wrong last offseason so I don't see it happening.

hmmm...he cut Miles Austin and reduced Murray's carries and you think he has a problem admitting mistakes?
samaroo
I would say that admitting mistakes and implementing good ideas (no matter where they come from) has been a strength for Kelly, historically.
nephillymike
Intriguing.

I mean I love Dennis Kelly as much as the next guy, but can't hurt making a phone call.
Joegrane
I agree that they have to consider bringing him back for depth.

Had they not released him he was going to cost big $. Now they can get him dirt cheap considering that he knows the system.

Of course he may be nicked up enough to keep a man of his age from being productive but not enough to be on the injured list.

The timing is not too bad either. They don't need him this week. A loss to AZ will probably not be a big deal. They need wins over the Giants and especially the Skins. Since they have a decent chance to make the playoffs it would be nice to have the added depth, even if he never starts.

Maybe he asked to be released because he was communicating with his old buddies through the grapevine. An article said he was not even being activated on game day.

Do I recall correctly he did not really bad-mouth Chip after he left?

The release seemed to be mostly a $ issue. I don't think it would reflect badly on Chip at all. He would look good. The guy chip released because he was too expensive was released by another team that had signed him for even less $. Now he gets the guy cheap.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 15 2015, 05:45 PM) *

samaroo
All good points. Plus everybody loves Big Todd!
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 15 2015, 10:55 PM) *
Intriguing.

I mean I love Dennis Kelly as much as the next guy, but can't hurt making a phone call.

mcnabbulous
Big Todd has been worse than Kelly this year, FWIW.
Phits
He got benched weeks ago, and was cut this week. Thanks for the years of service TH, but you have already had your swan song in Philly.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 15 2015, 11:31 PM) *
hmmm...he cut Miles Austin and reduced Murray's carries and you think he has a problem admitting mistakes?

1 - Who? Oh yes, that back up that hardly featured.

2 - Alternatively Kelly got it right with Mathews. And as we discussed in another thread how much of Murray's struggles are the result of not calling the straight ahead plays that are his strong suit, and how much are the result of poor OL play, and how much of the playcalling is down to the OL woes?

Bringing back a player that was released so a couple of turnstiles could be promoted out of their depth is a much bigger admission.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 16 2015, 02:35 PM) *
1 - Who? Oh yes, that back up that hardly featured.

2 - Alternatively Kelly got it right with Mathews. And as we discussed in another thread how much of Murray's struggles are the result of not calling the straight ahead plays that are his strong suit, and how much are the result of poor OL play, and how much of the playcalling is down to the OL woes?

Bringing back a player that was released so a couple of turnstiles could be promoted out of their depth is a much bigger admission.

A backup that paid significant money to.....you can dismiss it but it is a big admission whether you like it or not

And with Murray...it is an even bigger admission......to not change the scheme and basically admit that they will do it without him....even though he is making 8 million.....

Bringing Herremans back just gives them depth with a player who already knows the system....he is no longer a good player but can give them snaps in a pinch
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 15 2015, 10:55 PM) *
Intriguing.

I know what you mean. The guy doesn't see a ton of playing time, yet his name is on the tip of every Eagle fans' tongue rolleyes.gif

With that said, Todd must be a shell of himself if he couldn't even hang on as an emergency back up with the dolts.

I'd pass on him.
D Rock
Do you people honestly believe Chip is making playing time decisions based on how it appears to the fans or media?

Wow, you delusional fucks.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (D Rock @ Dec 17 2015, 12:00 PM) *
Do you people honestly believe Chip is making playing time decisions based on how it appears to the fans or media?

Wow, you delusional fucks.

Easy D......you remember a lot in this crowd KNEW what kind of QB Chip wanted......and regardless of anything he said or did to the contrary they still believe.........hell...some still think he got Bradford to get Mariota...
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 17 2015, 08:31 PM) *
Easy D......you remember a lot in this crowd KNEW what kind of QB Chip wanted......and regardless of anything he said or did to the contrary they still believe.........hell...some still think he got Bradford to get Mariota...

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
mcnabbulous
Some still seem to think he wants Kaepernick, Manziel, or RG3 despite the fact that his two biggest priorities are accuracy and quick decision making. Quite possibly the worst two traits in all of those guys.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 17 2015, 03:31 PM) *

So Chip didn't offer a trade to TEN?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 17 2015, 09:21 PM) *
So Chip didn't offer a trade to TEN?

I thought was thoroughly debunked.....only the reporters who kept on insisting that was his motive to get Bradford trotted that out....the same ones who said we were trading Kendriks...

I don't think that the question was not asked.....I don;t think and there is no evidence to cast doubt about it, that the Eagles offered anything.....they may have asked what it would take.....

Only the Philly reporters who tried to make up a story trotted out that rumor...remember the names....Cox....Bradford....Kendriks...Mathis...AND Boykin? Plus draft picks? do you know how stupid that sounds to even consider that possibly happened?

Why didn't the Titans beat writers have that story? Because it never happened....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 18 2015, 12:32 AM) *
I thought was thoroughly debunked.....only the reporters who kept on insisting that was his motive to get Bradford trotted that out....the same ones who said we were trading Kendriks...

I don't think that the question was not asked.....I don;t think and there is no evidence to cast doubt about it, that the Eagles offered anything.....they may have asked what it would take.....

Only the Philly reporters who tried to make up a story trotted out that rumor...remember the names....Cox....Bradford....Kendriks...Mathis...AND Boykin? Plus draft picks? do you know how stupid that sounds to even consider that possibly happened?

Why didn't the Titans beat writers have that story? Because it never happened....

Adam Caplan who is very connected said it definitely happened.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 18 2015, 06:01 AM) *
Adam Caplan who is very connected said it definitely happened.

Again.....why did the Titans beat writers not have it?

And you could write a book on the things Caplan has been wrong about....

As I said....I have no doubt the Eagles and likely every team in the league asked what the price would be.....but I seriously doubt that there was ever an offer....that is a major difference....

But to be clear....are you saying that the Eagles did offer the following :
Cox, Kendriks, Boykin and Bradford and their first round pick this year and next year?

You really believe that?

Caplan also reported that the Browns offered the Eagles their number 1 and then reported that that never happened and that the Browns offered their number 1 to the Rams, not the Eagles......another report that impugns his credibility.....the Rams were that in love with Foles who came off a lousy season that they passed on a first round pick?

The prolem with the entire rumor is that it was floated out as "speculation" and then took on a life of its own.....and then guys like Caplan and Schefter did what a smart business man would do...they fed the beast to get attention aka clicks. At that point beat writers ate it up and ran with it and in the end some rubes believed it.....but it was painfully obvious that the price would be far too hugh for any team to make that trade.....there was simply not enough sure hit talent in the draft to make it worth it to the Titans.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 18 2015, 04:07 PM) *
As I said....I have no doubt the Eagles and likely every team in the league asked what the price would be.....but I seriously doubt that there was ever an offer....that is a major difference....

This right here.

I am sure Chip asked the Titans about the pick and was given 1 of 2 responses. 1, the pick is not available or 2, the titans replied with their demands and Chip decided to move on.

Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 17 2015, 07:29 PM) *
Some still seem to think he wants Kaepernick, Manziel, or RG3 despite the fact that his two biggest priorities are accuracy and quick decision making. Quite possibly the worst two traits in all of those guys.

Aren't those the 2 traits that every coach wants in their starting QB? After nearly 3 seasons as HC the one thing we know about The Chipper is that we don't know what he is thinking. If he doesn't know that a QB with the threat of mobility would be effective in his system, he might be as dumb as his detractors suggest.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 18 2015, 10:42 AM) *
Aren't those the 2 traits that every coach wants in their starting QB? After nearly 3 seasons as HC the one thing we know about The Chipper is that we don't know what he is thinking. If he doesn't know that a QB with the threat of mobility would be effective in his system, he might be as dumb as his detractors suggest.

hmmm...so you suggest that he, the guy that designed HIS offense, does not know what he wants from the position to run HIS offense? And that you or a sports writer know better what he wants for HIS offense then he does?

Do I have that right?

You should have stopped at "after 3 years as HC we don't know what he is thinking" The problem is that the beat writers in this town don't have a clue and try to rationalize everything he does vs. traditional football history.

At least David Murphy is now writing about the Eagles...normally a Phillies beat guy, he is easily the best writer at Philly.com (DN, Philly Inq.) His article on Murray today was spot on.

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/...mp;id=362887791
Phits
I'm suggesting that Chip doesn't like to tip his hat and reveal anything, even when it appears to be obvious. He knows that a (more) mobile QB would suit his offense, but he doesn't have one so he is trying to make it work with what he has.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 18 2015, 12:11 PM) *
hmmm...so you suggest that he, the guy that designed HIS offense, does not know what he wants from the position to run HIS offense? And that you or a sports writer know better what he wants for HIS offense then he does?

Do I have that right?

You should have stopped at "after 3 years as HC we don't know what he is thinking" The problem is that the beat writers in this town don't have a clue and try to rationalize everything he does vs. traditional football history.

At least David Murphy is now writing about the Eagles...normally a Phillies beat guy, he is easily the best writer at Philly.com (DN, Philly Inq.) His article on Murray today was spot on.

http://mobile.philly.com/beta?wss=/philly/...mp;id=362887791

Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 18 2015, 07:17 PM) *
I'm suggesting that Chip doesn't like to tip his hat and reveal anything, even when it appears to be obvious. He knows that a (more) mobile QB would suit his offense, but he doesn't have one so he is trying to make it work with what he has.

Kelly was clear from the outset that he needs accuracy and quick decisions for his system to work, which was why I argued at the time that Vick was a poor fit when others on here were salivating at what he could achieve under Kelly.

Mobility would be a nice bonus, but it's not essential (ie 2013 Foles, whose scrambling looked like an attempt to run out the clock).
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 18 2015, 04:50 PM) *
Kelly was clear from the outset that he needs accuracy and quick decisions for his system to work, which was why I argued at the time that Vick was a poor fit when others on here were salivating at what he could achieve under Kelly.

Mobility would be a nice bonus, but it's not essential (ie 2013 Foles, whose scrambling looked like an attempt to run out the clock).

What Chip says and what he means are two very different things. We know that much. As I stated earlier, quick decision S and accuracy is what everybody wants from a QB.

Using Foles as an example for Chips desire in a QB is a stretch. Foles great season actually set the franchise back and the first chance Chipper got he shit canned Shaggy for a broken down corvette.
mcnabbulous
Chip definitely tried to get Mariota, IMO. It was clear early that they wanted everything.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 18 2015, 10:41 PM) *
What Chip says and what he means are two very different things. We know that much. As I stated earlier, quick decision S and accuracy is what everybody wants from a QB.

Using Foles as an example for Chips desire in a QB is a stretch. Foles great season actually set the franchise back and the first chance Chipper got he shit canned Shaggy for a broken down corvette.

Every team would love to have a mobile QB who makes the right decisions quickly, is accurate and has great arm strength. But because there are so few QBs who tick all the boxes, every team then has to find the compromise which best suits their offense. In Kelly's case he emphasises decision making and accuracy at the expense of mobility. His comments were in direct response to questions about his offense needing a mobile QB so they were more than simple generic remarks, especially since we had the mobile Vick at that time.

And Foles's great season proved that an immobile QB didn't hinder the offense. The problem was that Foles couldn't then build on that and instead fell back badly, which was why Kelly traded him for Bradford. And Bradford is no Cunningham or Vick when it comes to mobility. His strengths are meant to be decision making and accuracy, which is why his off target throws have been every bit as frustrating as the on target balls being dropped by the receivers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.