Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Patience is rare in this world these days
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
As it pertains to the Eagles, Chip has it but fans and the media don't.

If some of the suggestions and proclamations made by fans and media this season came to fruition this team would be a wreck. Instead, though far from perfect, they are starting to look more and more like a real team. The Bills didn't. I wasn't sold on Bradford, and was not happy with his slow start, but they are 5-1 in his last six 'complete' games. He needs more weapons, but they may already be here and just need more experience. J Mathews is having issues for sure, but when they had Maclin as the deep threat last year he shined in the slot, so what we need is Agholor to fill that need. I saw a glimpse of his potential yesterday on that beautiful TD reception, but you need some patience to get him to that level. Rowe couldn't get on the field early on, but now that he has his chance and some time learning the system, he looks like he can be a solid CB...patience. Very few players come into the NFL and play like a pro from the get go, so you need to be...patient.

Just my opinion, FWIW.

mcnabbulous
Our fanbase always expects too much out of rookies.

We all expected too much out of Bradford, given his layoff, our limited talent at WR and his lack of familiarity with the scheme.

They're starting to come together a bit, but I can't say I saw it coming after those two disasters against TB and Detroit.

I'm happy to give Sam another season to continue to put things together at this point.

Phits
Hopefully, Lurie shares the same opinion and can recognize that it takes time to build a team. I believe that he understands Chip's vision.

TBH the only off season move that I wasn't fond of was the signing of Murray. I was fine with trading McCoy, but in this modern day NFL good RB's are a dime a dozen and can be found on the cheap. I suspect that signing Murray was a panic move after Gore teased us.
nephillymike
Lighten up Francis.

We're 6-7 in the worst division in football.

Thankfully, Chip's patience with Murray ran out, just two games and one injury to Mathews later than the fans did.

All ball busting aside, it is nice to get a win vs. BUF and still be in the hunt for the playoffs.

The NYG (it appears so as of now) and WAS wins do make it more difficult but still in our grasp.

Three teams at 6-7, three weeks left.

Fingers crossed.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 14 2015, 11:27 PM) *
Lighten up Francis.

Thankfully, Chip's patience with Murray ran out, just two games and one injury to Mathews later than the fans did.

All ball busting aside, it is nice to get a win vs. BUF and still be in the hunt for the playoffs.

The NYG (it appears so as of now) and WAS wins do make it more difficult but still in our grasp.

Three teams at 6-7, three weeks left.

Fingers crossed.

Lets be honest about how this plays out.......

1. We beat Arizona......expectations go through the roof.....
2. We beat Washington.......expectations become fait accompli
3. We get beat by the Giants to lose the division and end the season......

Fucking Groundhog's day
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 15 2015, 02:55 PM) *

Fucking Groundhog's day

In a rebuilding year (which I always saw this as with so many roster changes) a playoff appearance would be nice, but not really expected. What I look at is, how is the team developing? Some new pieces fit, some don't, some are a work in progress. I just manage my expectations, Sunday's win was nice, don't really expect a win this Sunday, but who knows? Taking it as it comes and not getting too hyped up either way is working for me.
The Franchise

Fucking Groundhog's day

Or more likely, DeSean Jackson ends our season again in week 16 to earn the Redskins the division, as we and the Giants will be 6-8, and they will be 7-7 going into that game.

At least the presser after that game will be soundbite gold. laugh.gif
Reality Fan
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 15 2015, 07:34 PM) *
Or more likely, DeSean Jackson ends our season again in week 16 to earn the Redskins the division, as we and the Giants will be 6-8, and they will be 7-7 going into that game.

At least the presser after that game will be soundbite gold. laugh.gif

Jackson is the least of my worries.....he is a one trick pony who has no 100 yd games this year...

I worry about their RBs.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 15 2015, 01:55 PM) *

Fucking Groundhog's day

If we win the next two weeks, the Giants game isn't going to matter.
The Franchise
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Dec 15 2015, 07:37 PM) *
Jackson is the least of my worries.....he is a one trick pony who has no 100 yd games this year...

I worry about their RBs.

Yeah well if he has 1 catch for 12 yards, he still gets to rub our face in it again. At least they're terrible on the road and it's a home game.
samaroo
This whole topic is hilarious to me. Patience...

From the place where most people have wanted to fire and re-sign the HC, GM and DC 4 times apiece this year. From the place where one or two games dramatically changes the perception of the entire organization.

Patience...
Reality Fan
QUOTE (samaroo @ Dec 15 2015, 07:52 PM) *
This whole topic is hilarious to me. Patience...

From the place where most people have wanted to fire and re-sign the HC, GM and DC 4 times apiece this year. From the place where one or two games dramatically changes the perception of the entire organization.

Patience...

For the record......I have never wanted to dire Kelly the GM or the head coach....

And I never wanted them to hire Davis and have wanted him gone since he landed....I briefly gave him a reprieve earlier this season but I still want him gone......if JJ had the talent we have on this defense they would be top 3 in the league

But I agree with your point completely.....it is tough to track all the changes with some folks here.
nephillymike

Fucking Groundhog's day

Man that's fucking cruel.

What kind of mind comes up with that??

Geez.

It's not that I think it's out of the realm of possibility though................................
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 15 2015, 07:42 PM) *

I think it was Jeff McLane who tweeted out last night that with the Giants and Skins wins, we cannot clinch a playoff spot until the final week against NYG.

Not sure how true that is, but according to my son, he got the tweet that said it.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 15 2015, 09:54 PM) *
I think it was Jeff McLane who tweeted out last night that with the Giants and Skins wins, we cannot clinch a playoff spot until the final week against NYG.

Not sure how true that is, but according to my son, he got the tweet that said it.

A word of advice...Jeff McLane is an idiot.

If we win the next two weeks and the Giants lose either of their games (vs. Carolina, @Minny) week 17 doesn't matter. If the Giants lose their next two games and we win against the Skins...week 17 doesn't matter.

Basically, if we beat the Skins, we have an excellent shot of making the playoffs.

Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 16 2015, 11:02 AM) *

If we win the next two weeks and the Giants lose either of their games (vs. Carolina, @Minny) week 17 doesn't matter. If the Giants lose their next two games and we win against the Skins...week 17 doesn't matter.

Basically, if we beat the Skins, we have an excellent shot of making the playoffs.

Al that matters is that If we win out, we`re in.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 16 2015, 12:55 PM) *
Al that matters is that If we win out, we`re in.

Fortunately we really don't have to. The only game we likely need to win may be against the Skins.

I think the Giants lose the next two.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 16 2015, 11:02 AM) *

I think he was saying that week 17 would matter for us to win the Division.

If the NYG lose two, and we lose to ARI and beat WAS, we still need to win week 17 to get the division, right?

I'll have my unpaid intern look into it. He just got done his semester today so I'll have MikeyNumbersJr look into it.
Eagle2720
Using the playoff predictor on NFL.com actually really helps in this debate, you can see who makes the playoffs depending on the outcomes of all the games.
Phits
QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Dec 16 2015, 08:46 PM) *
Using the playoff predictor on NFL.com actually really helps in this debate, you can see who makes the playoffs depending on the outcomes of all the games.

Who says we're interested in facts? If we wanted that we could just make them up. cheers.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 16 2015, 07:14 PM) *
I think he was saying that week 17 would matter for us to win the Division.

If the NYG lose two, and we lose to ARI and beat WAS, we still need to win week 17 to get the division, right?

I'll have my unpaid intern look into it. He just got done his semester today so I'll have MikeyNumbersJr look into it.

The answer is no, Mikey. If NYG lose two and we beat the Skins, we are in.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 16 2015, 09:23 PM) *
The answer is no, Mikey. If NYG lose two and we beat the Skins, we are in.

ARI and NYG =L
Was = W

We finish 7-9

WAs wins one, loses to us wins vs Dal

They finish 8-8

The NYG lose two and beat us, they finish 7-9

why wouldn't WAS win the division in that case?
Joegrane
Isn't the issue that the Eagles might need the Giants game to get the tiebreaker over the Skins--division record?
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 15 2015, 07:42 PM) *

Eagle2720
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 16 2015, 09:43 PM) *
ARI and NYG =L
Was = W

We finish 7-9

They finish 8-8

With the 1 game better record they certainly would, no matter what our division record may be.
Eagle2720
I don't even wanna come up with all these little scenarios, let's just pray we win out and everything's all sunshine and daisys until either Minnesota or Seattle come to town
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 16 2015, 08:43 PM) *
ARI and NYG =L
Was = W

We finish 7-9

They finish 8-8

The original thing you posted was related to us winning two in a row. If we do that, we are in over the Skins. Regardless of what happens in week 17.

If the Giants lose one of the next two and we beat the Skins, we are in over the Giants. Regardless of what happens in week 17. That was the original point. We don't necessarily need week 17.

We have to at win 2 of 3 (with 1 of the 2 being against Was) to guarantee we beat out the Skins assuming they also win 2 of 3.

If both the Skins (vs. Buf) and Giants (vs. Carolina) lose this weekend, we clinch the division with a win over Washington next week...regardless of what happens to us this weekend.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 14 2015, 11:27 PM) *

Actually, that would be the AFC South, for now anyway.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 14 2015, 06:40 PM) *
Hopefully, Lurie shares the same opinion and can recognize that it takes time to build a team. I believe that he understands Chip's vision.

The only problem Lurie has with patience as far as I'm concerned is that in the past he has been too patient.

As for Chip, I guess we'll find out by his off season moves exactly how patient he is also.

At this point, I'm not really sure where his head is. Is he trying to build a winner via free agency each year (Dream Team III coming up next year) or is he simply trying to build the core of the team via free agency, instead of the draft?
Zero
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Dec 17 2015, 08:33 AM) *
The only problem Lurie has with patience as far as I'm concerned is that in the past he has been too patient.

As for Chip, I guess we'll find out by his off season moves exactly how patient he is also.

At this point, I'm not really sure where his head is. Is he trying to build a winner via free agency each year (Dream Team III coming up next year) or is he simply trying to build the core of the team via free agency, instead of the draft?

I'm hoping he is patient in off season, to a reasonable degree. Dream Team I and II sucked. Add a G and a WR in FA and then lean on the draft. FA will fill immediate, glaring holes with experience and the draft should build depth and potential starters if the excel out of the gate.

How much will they be able to spend in FA? Is a starting G and WR doable?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.