Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looks to me like Thurmond should have been called for PI
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
On Jenkins' INT and 100 yd return, it looks like Thurmond pushed off of Amendola.

Video
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 12 2015, 11:37 AM) *
On Jenkins' INT and 100 yd return, it looks like Thurmond pushed off of Amendola.

I could easily see that being called. I have definitely seen less called. On the flip side, I have seen defenders do worse and not get called.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 12 2015, 06:37 AM) *

Video

Wasn't that push within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage?
mcnabbulous
Good call, Phits
nephillymike
Can you push a WR on a crossing route within 5 yards if the ball is in the air?

I wouldn't think so.

We would have a lot of WR get blown up before the ball arrives if that was the case as our average route is about four yards.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 12 2015, 04:28 PM) *
Can you push a WR on a crossing route within 5 yards if the ball is in the air?

I wouldn't think so.

We would have a lot of WR get blown up before the ball arrives if that was the case as our average route is about four yards.

Maybe so, luckily the ball wasn't in the air when contact was made.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 12 2015, 04:57 PM) *
Maybe so, luckily the ball wasn't in the air when contact was made.

He is touched while Brady still has the ball.

He was pushed after the ball was released.

You can click on it and go through it frame by frame.

Don't know if that means it's a PI or not.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 12 2015, 05:04 PM) *
He is touched while Brady still has the ball.

He was pushed after the ball was released.

You can click on it and go through it frame by frame.

Don't know if that means it's a PI or not.

At 0:02s of the clip, when the initial contact is made, Brady has the ball cocked and preparing to throw.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Dec 12 2015, 05:36 PM) *
At 0:02s of the clip, when the initial contact is made, Brady has the ball cocked and preparing to throw
9 yards downfield and before the ball was thrown.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 12 2015, 05:02 PM) *
9 yards downfield and before the ball was thrown.

It's from the LOS. Not where Brady is standing.

I thought it was split second as to whether Brady still had the ball. It's a correct no call.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 12 2015, 07:41 PM) *
It's from the LOS. Not where Brady is standing.

I thought it was split second as to whether Brady still had the ball. It's a correct no call.

It looks like the LOS is around the 8 or 9. Brady is on the 13 the push is on the 1.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 12 2015, 07:31 PM) *
It looks like the LOS is around the 8 or 9. Brady is on the 13 the push is on the 1.

Start at the beginning of the video. It was just outside the 5.
nephillymike
LOS was the five.

He first gets touched within the five yard safe zone while ball is in Brady's hands.

However, he is pushed hard within the safety zone after ball is released.

The question is, can you push a WR hard who is within the 5 yard zone AFTER the ball is released.

I do not know the answer to that.

I would think if that was allowed, we would see WR getting clocked many times in that zone. We don't, so I assume it isn't allowed.
mcnabbulous
Disagree, Mikey. The push happened when the ball was in Brady's hand. Phits' gif represented that perfectly.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 12 2015, 08:33 PM) *
Start at the beginning of the video. It was just outside the 5.

Then I'm wrong and it was legal.

Phits' gif also shows that both Rowe and Kendricks had tight coverage but not Alonso. The pressure forced Brady to throw to the wrong man. Also, Graham is pretty wrapped up there.

Nice job, Phits. I nominate you as the board's gif-creator officiale. biggrin.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 13 2015, 02:06 AM) *
Disagree, Mikey. The push happened when the ball was in Brady's hand. Phits' gif represented that perfectly.

Nope.

Go to the video that Z had.

You can click on it and stop it at various spots.

T hands were on him while Brady has the ball but A is not moving in an odd direction because of it.

When A comes forward hard because of the push, the ball is on it's way.

No doubt about it.

I still don't know if by rule that is a PI foul or not.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 13 2015, 09:43 AM) *

The .gif was extracted from Z's video.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 13 2015, 08:43 AM) *
Nope.

You can click on it and stop it at various spots.

T hands were on him while Brady has the ball but A is not moving in an odd direction because of it.

When A comes forward hard because of the push, the ball is on it's way.

No doubt about it.

I still don't know if by rule that is a PI foul or not.

The contact happens when Brady still has the ball.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Dec 13 2015, 11:04 AM) *
The contact happens when Brady still has the ball.

If you define contact by placing a hand on the guys body, then yes "contact" happened while the ball was in QB's hand.

BTW, DB's always have hands on WR's. It is normally PI when the hands do something to alter the ability to make a catch.

The WR's ability to make the catch was altered with the push and the push happened AFTER the ball left Brady's hands.

No doubt about it.

The gif splicing of the video that Phits posted it the point where the hands are on the WR and the ball is in the QB's hand. The next split second that is not shown on Phits splice is when the push happens and the ball is out of the QB's hand.

You need to go to Z's full video and slow it down.

Who knows, maybe that isn't PI anyway since it is within five yards even though the ball is in the air.

Does anyone know that if he was pushed after the ball was in the air and within 5 yards from the LOS, is it PI?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Dec 13 2015, 10:55 AM) *
If you define contact by placing a hand on the guys body, then yes "contact" happened while the ball was in QB's hand.

BTW, DB's always have hands on WR's. It is normally PI when the hands do something to alter the ability to make a catch.

The WR's ability to make the catch was altered with the push and the push happened AFTER the ball left Brady's hands.

No doubt about it.

The gif splicing of the video that Phits posted it the point where the hands are on the WR and the ball is in the QB's hand. The next split second that is not shown on Phits splice is when the push happens and the ball is out of the QB's hand.

You need to go to Z's full video and slow it down.

Who knows, maybe that isn't PI anyway since it is within five yards even though the ball is in the air.

Does anyone know that if he was pushed after the ball was in the air and within 5 yards from the LOS, is it PI?

If the ball was in the air it would be PI, but I think it's so simultaneous that it couldn't be called there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.