Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buffalo Game
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
It is Friday. It is time to actually discuss the upcoming game.

In recent weeks there have been more than a few RBs who have had very good games against the Eagles. Shady will certainly have the motivation to do so as well. I'll be surprised if he does not get 100 yards but don't expect him to have a huge game. I'm confident Chip will give additional attention to limiting Shady.

The Eagles won last week largely due to three return TDs! That does not make me optimistic that they will continue their winning ways against the average Bills.

Hopefully the matchup motivates Alonso to perform better. However maybe he is still not 100% recovered from his injury.

I expect a close game but can't pick the Eagles unless the offense shows me more.

Reality Fan
I am worried.....my streak of the Eagles winning games I attend in on the line here.....
Zero
Not to nitpick, but I think it's Davis who will game plan for McCoy. I hope the front 7 are prepared to deal with his elusiveness. Even if he gets 100+ that doesn't mean they win. The Eagles need to jump out with a lead and force the Bills to fight the clock, that's where Kelly comes in.
Phits
We're going to have to give them a triple dose of running back to use up the clock, our anaemic passing offense can't be relied on to score. Our offense is like special teams, a few lucky breaks and we can put points on the board, but they aren't reliable. Buffalo has some explosive offensive weapons, which has proven to hurt us so far this season.

If our D can manage to get to Taylor, we may be able to rattle him and force poor throws. he likely won't throw up an INT, he's been very reliable in that regards. However, he is far from a reliable passing threat. If we limit Shady and force Taylor to make the decisions we will win.
The Franchise
I was a fan of Shady's while he was here, and the trade for Alonso was retarded, but I don't want to watch him have a big day then we have to hear about it all week. I expect Kelly/Davis will go overboard making sure that doesn't happen, allowing Taylor to hurt us. Oh well.
JeeQ
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Dec 11 2015, 11:17 AM) *
I was a fan of Shady's while he was here, and the trade for Alonso was retarded, but I don't want to watch him have a big day then we have to hear about it all week. I expect Kelly/Davis will go overboard making sure that doesn't happen, allowing Taylor to hurt us. Oh well.

Same feelings here... Chump did Shady dirty but we still can't let him run over our team on Sunday... he has to be stopped... I already watched Jackson kill our playoff chances last year with two TDs; let's not add Shady to the list
Rick
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Dec 11 2015, 08:42 PM) *
Same feelings here... Chump did Shady dirty but we still can't let him run over our team on Sunday... he has to be stopped... I already watched Jackson kill our playoff chances last year with two TDs; let's not add Shady to the list

Problem is, I have zero faith in Davis doing anything differently to stop him. Yeah, I still remember last season against Jackson and many other games where a team has a big weapon that Davis did nothing different to stop.

The good news is, I have more faith in their ability to stop a running game than to stop a passing game.
Joegrane
I don't think the problem is Davis but nicked up D Linemen and the loss of Hicks. Alonso has not been impressive in relief of Hicks. I think the D Linemen are all probable for the game; however who knows how effective they will be.

They also have a mobile QB and very solid #1 WR to deal with.

I hope the Eagles O Line can hold up. If not, Ryan will smell blood and send the attack dogs. It could get ugly and the Philly "fans" won't help matters.

While I don't favor the Eagles in this one, I think it will be close enough to be decided by a big play or two by special teams or turnover differential favoring the Eagles.

QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 12 2015, 08:09 AM) *
Problem is, I have zero faith in Davis doing anything differently to stop him. Yeah, I still remember last season against Jackson and many other games where a team has a big weapon that Davis did nothing different to stop.

The good news is, I have more faith in their ability to stop a running game than to stop a passing game.
Rick
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Dec 12 2015, 11:40 AM) *
I don't think the problem is Davis but nicked up D Linemen and the loss of Hicks.

It still boggles my mind as to why everyone thinks Davis is a good DC. As discussed elsewhere, his history speaks volumes. The defense played reasonably-well (helped out by some questionable play by opposing QBs) for a few games (what, like 3?) and have crapped the bed otherwise. Yes, they played very well against NE for 3ish quarters but then, as usual, they let the Pats back into the game. They should have NEVER been back in that game.

Towards the end, Davis has them in the prevent defense which allowed Brady to get some timing/momentum and, if there were another 5 minutes in the game, I think they would have given up the game.

They have played well in stretches, which I attribute to them actually having some talent. It's only stretches because Davis is a horrible DC. Ranking 25th (and lower) in points allowed is unacceptable by ANY DC. Why should he get a pass? The object of the defense is to give up as few points as possible, right?
Zero
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 12 2015, 04:46 PM) *
It still boggles my mind as to why everyone thinks Davis is a good DC. As discussed elsewhere, his history speaks volumes. The defense played reasonably-well (helped out by some questionable play by opposing QBs) for a few games (what, like 3?) and have crapped the bed otherwise. Yes, they played very well against NE for 3ish quarters but then, as usual, they let the Pats back into the game. They should have NEVER been back in that game.

Towards the end, Davis has them in the prevent defense which allowed Brady to get some timing/momentum and, if there were another 5 minutes in the game, I think they would have given up the game.

They have played well in stretches, which I attribute to them actually having some talent. It's only stretches because Davis is a horrible DC. Ranking 25th (and lower) in points allowed is unacceptable by ANY DC. Why should he get a pass? The object of the defense is to give up as few points as possible, right?
I'll start off by identifying myself as a DKD.

Almost every successful person has failed and failed miserably at times. That Davis is one who has failed doesn't preclude him from ever being a success. The bad games good QBs have are frequently the result of good defense, either because they're making plays or because they're confusing the QB and throwing him off of his game.

I agree the Prevent D often turns into the Surrender D. Good DCs have used it, in fact, if memory serves, both Marion Campbell and JJ were famous for allowing teams to march up and down the field only to keep them out of the EZ. I also agree that Davis' D at the end of the Pats game allowed them to have all Eagle fans delaying piss breaks. Not good, but that doesn't make him a bad DC.

I've already argued that he should be replaced, so I'm not arguing that he's good. My only beer sopped point is that he hasn't proven that yet. History isn't proof and the defense is clearly in transition. What they did to Brady other teams envy. Next year is when we'll see if he has been riding on talent or if he's doing a good job and his players have grown ... into the scheme and with each other.
Rick
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 12 2015, 05:33 PM) *
I've already argued that he should be replaced, so I'm not arguing that he's good. My only beer sopped point is that he hasn't proven that yet. History isn't proof and the defense is clearly in transition. What they did to Brady other teams envy. Next year is when we'll see if he has been riding on talent or if he's doing a good job and his players have grown ... into the scheme and with each other.

I had forgotten that you'd argued to replace him.

However, the defense is in transition, yes, but it's not gotten any better--at not giving up points. That's been my point about the guy since they hired him. I know past failure isn't an indicator of future performance. However, he's shown absolutely NOTHING to indicate he'll ever put a defense that doesn't give up too many points. I couldn't care less about how many yards people put up against the defense, I care about how many points they give up. That's all that matters about a defense and this defense is piss poor in that metric.

He has never shown that he'll adapt or adjust his game plan. He'll put someone out on an island and let them get beat over and over rather than double-team someone or put someone else on that person. I get it, sometimes someone is just gonna have his way no matter what you do but he never seems to make changes when his guys are getting beaten.

This is why I have no faith in him doing anything specifically to stop Shady. Will he? I have no clue. But, if I had to bet on it--based on past performance--I'd bet that he won't do anything specifically. I hope he proves me wrong. I hope his defense really steps up and shuts down opponents from here on out. If he can field a defense that can not give up a ton of points--for the long haul, not just in stretches--I'll happily admit he's a good DC. But, as of right now, IMO, he's horrible.

Now, the bigger question is whom would be a good replacement.

Either way, we're both cheering for the same team and both pulling for a win tomorrow. That we can both agree on. smile.gif
Zero
QUOTE (Rick @ Dec 12 2015, 05:47 PM) *
Now, the bigger question is whom would be a good replacement?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.