Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chip Kelly - Stay or Go
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
Frustration has definitely mounted for we the Philly faithful. A once promising coaching choice has taken us back to 2012. At least in Reid's last season we all sensed it was the end of an era. He was a good coach who gave us a decade of good football.

Fast forward to 2015 and most o us can't wait for this season to be over. The frustrating part is that unlike 3 years ago there is no bright light at the end of the tunnel. Even though logic depicted Reid's successor would be hard pressed to find the same of level of success ...let alone a SB victory, there was still hope.

We seem to be at at the crossroads. Chip has put together a team that seems to have no direction and no future. The reality is, if this was Chip's first year as HC it may be excusable. We lost some winnable games early in the season by miscues. However, the last 3 games have been a mix of bad coaching, execution and overall play....and this is his 3rd year as HC. However, it is his first season as GM. A turnstile in the front office isn't good for anybody. It has been said that it takes 3 seasons for a GM to make his mark on a franchise.

With that said should he stay or should he go
Zero
I voted to keep Chip in both capacities. I've been whining that he's lost the team as cause for dismissal, but that's the fan coming out in me. Both he and Marynowitz got their mulligan.
Eyrie
I'd give him another year as coach only, but I'd be surprised if he was willing to step back from being the GM.

make_it_rain
I voted GM Chip needs to go. Coach Chip is a stubborn prick but I think would be much more successful if he didnt bury the team by getting rid of talent and just thinking he can plug and play into his scheme.

If Tennessee calls and dangles their first rounder (likely to be top 5, if not top overall) for Chip, I am answering the phone however.
mcnabbulous
I voted to stay in both roles. My faith is definitely shaken, but it's naive to think his plan could come into shape in one year. Let's see what happens next.

Sometimes you need to get punched in the mouth to see what you're really made of. This is the first time it's really happened to Chip.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Zero @ Dec 1 2015, 03:15 PM) *
I voted to keep Chip in both capacities. I've been whining that he's lost the team as cause for dismissal, but that's the fan coming out in me. Both he and Marynowitz got their mulligan.

I agree and what I think Chip should have learned now is that you cannot replace so many starters on both sides of the ball and expect to have a cohesive team in one off season. I doubt Lurie abandons him after this season and I am pretty sure Chip does not give up, so let's hope he handles the next off season better than this last one.
PhillySteaks
Should never have been hired to begin with
Joegrane
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Dec 1 2015, 07:05 PM) *
... you cannot replace so many starters on both sides of the ball and expect to have a cohesive team in one off season. I doubt Lurie abandons him after this season and I am pretty sure Chip does not give up, so let's hope he handles the next off season better than this last one.

That is also my view. Add to it the messed up O Line and young receivers and we had to expect a less potent offence.

Of course the impotence we've seen has been quite surprising.

I don't know how a decent defense becomes an embarrassment so quickly.
SAM I Am
What the fuck, Lurie has gone this far with him, why quit now. I give him another year as both GM and Coach to reload Dream Team III and take a shot at it. If he isn't in the playoffs and making real noise come next season's playoffs, then they are both gone, GM and Coach, and I don't make the same mistake ever again giving one guy both jobs.
CT_Eagle
I think he needs to be given one more year. After the 2013 season I was full of hope and onboard with Chip but that is no longer the case. However, he has made a lot of changes and I think Lurie needs to give him one more year to see if Chip's vision will pan out. At this point I am doubtful.
If there is not progress from this season through next season then Lurie needs to cut bait. In the interim, If I am Lurie I am going to ensure that Chip does not trade away or release any more vets or picks without the move being fully vetted beforehand. I know this ties Chip's hands a bit but his off-season moves so far have destroyed a good roster on the offensive side of the ball and there is nothing to show for it. Given Chip free reign this upcoming offseason will just hamstring the next head coach and GM.
HobbEs
I voted both go. Chip the GM decisions have backfired in a big way. Chip the coach has regressed to the point where his offense shows no creativity and is just plain predictable. Not to mention he's lost the locker room, he's losing the fans and the local media is turning against him.

Lurie made the mistake of holding on to Andy for too long. I hope he doesn't make the same mistake twice.
nephillymike
I didn't vote yet because with me, it depends.

A few things:

1. Chip the GM is done in my book. He's not the first to be in over his head, he won't be the last. Does Chip the coach let Chip the GM be removed from his duties? I don't think he will get GM duties if he went elsewhere in the NFL, so maybe he won't quit because of it.

2. Chip the coach's future hangs on the next five weeks. It sounds like he lost the team. Players are criticizing coaches, and these are players that were hand picked leaders. I have not listened anywhere near as much as I usually do (work, sick, CYO, team stinks etc), but from the shows I have watched and the clips I have heard it doesn't sound good at all. Given Chip's inability to coach players of all ilks, it may even be an earlier death knell. If he loses the team, he is gone. We'll see how they play for him. If this team doesn't play for him, no Eagles team with any talent capable of winning anything will ever play well for him. He will have lost his luster, and with that more player skepticism and less buy in and more cutting of talent for less than 100% buy in. If that is the case, cut ties at the end of this year. No need for dead man walking II. We saw that with Rhodes.

3. The things is, I think his offense works and will work well without much change in scheme. Talent matters though as does good GMship and I don't know if Chip will ever sow the seeds for talent to stay. But I am convinced, even amid despair, that his offense works.

I hope I am really really wrong. I have no desire to go through another rebuild. None.
JeeQ
Chip The Coach isn't allowed to abandon this abortion of a roster he created... but Chip The GM has to go before he makes a bad thing worse
The Franchise
He can stay in the franchise if he agrees to wear a Dunce cap at all press conferences.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.