Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No USC for Chip
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
It's official: Chip Kelly is NOT going to be the new head coach at the University of Southern California. The USC Trojans hired interim head coach Clay Helton as their new permanent leader.
Linc
mcnabbulous
Chip definitely turned it down. Reports are that he spoke with USC last Friday.
Eyrie
He did very well at Oregon, so he'll have plenty of other suitors.

I'm encouraged though that he met with them.
mcnabbulous
Now both sides are saying no meeting occurred. Who knows. Who really cares. I don't expect Chip to be going anywhere this offseason.
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 30 2015, 02:41 PM) *
Now both sides are saying no meeting occurred. Who knows. Who really cares. I don't expect Chip to be going anywhere this offseason.

If they lose out, Chip will definitely be fired. I think he might be fired if they only win one more.
Zero
QUOTE (xsv @ Dec 1 2015, 07:44 AM) *
If they lose out, Chip will definitely be fired. I think he might be fired if they only win one more.

I think that would be cause, but I'm not sure that the liberal Hollywood film maker would do that after all the accolades and back-to-back 10-6 seasons. I think they have a serious sit down, but there are too many what-if's for Lurie to admit to making that mistake. Not that I'm buying them anymore, but Bradford's return from 2 year hiatus and a multitude of new key faces are the biggies.

I think the only way he isn't back is if that pie-in-the-sky trade with Tennessee happens and Lurie hires a strong, competent GM (Gamble pie-in-the-sky?). That way they provide for an infusion of assumed talent and hire a new coach who will presumably straighten up the troops.
mcnabbulous
Is firing a coach, who has been relatively successful, after only 3 years the type of franchise you want us to become?

I suspect it's not what Lurie wants.

Personally, I think it's a bad omen. Chip deserves an opportunity to turn it around. He made major changes this past offseason. He deserves at least one more to see if this team can gel a bit more with time.
Reality Fan
It is interesting when fans think they know what the franchise will do rather than suggest it as possible outcomes. Did Lurie fire Reid after 2005? a season that had infinitely more drama than this season has had.......

I do not THINK Lurie will fire Kelly no matter what happens this season.....it is not something his history suggests...Even Ray Rhodes got a season to correct the 97 season.

History suggests that Lurie will give him another year regardless of what happens this season...it is a shame morons like that tool RUBEn Frank miss simple things like that.

Why can't we get quality beat writers for this team? Frank is a clueless clown who misses sniffing McCoy's jock.

Bottom line is that Lurie is not a knee jerk owner......that simple.
Eyrie
I don't think Lurie will fire Kelly, but he should seriously consider it if this season gets any worse.

As regards the comparison to 2005, Reid had a track record of success at that point which entitled him to be given time to turn things round. Kelly's record is brief and involved players he inherited whilst his bad year directly relates to his own personnel decisions.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Dec 1 2015, 03:33 PM) *
I don't think Lurie will fire Kelly, but he should seriously consider it if this season gets any worse.

As regards the comparison to 2005, Reid had a track record of success at that point which entitled him to be given time to turn things round. Kelly's record is brief and involved players he inherited whilst his bad year directly relates to his own personnel decisions.

Fair point on Reid...except the level of distraction caused by the coach's dealing with players certainly was far worse and the expectations for that season were very high.....Kelly is coming off of 2 10 win seasons. Kelly is just starting to get his palyers in place.....there is also no indication that Kelly and Lurie did not discuss this season and the obvious risks for growing pains...in fact Sal Palantonio reported what a good mood Lurie was in prior to the Detroit game.....something he should not be in with the state of the team even at that point. As I said...Lurie also gave Rhodes a year to fix the ship...

And do you think Reid did not inherit players?..Guys like Tra Thomas....Dawkins......Trotter....Duce Staley..Hugh Douglas...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.