Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The next thing Philly Sports Fans Can Look Forward To
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Anyone??
Zero
No.
HobbEs
Ben Simmons and Jamal Murray would be one hell of a haul. Hopefully we'll finally get Embiid next year and Saric coming over from Europe. Add that to Okafor and Noel and we've got a squad to cheer for. This year has been brutal though.

Still, it beats this sorry ass college team masquerading as an NFL franchise.
Phits
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Nov 22 2015, 08:13 PM) *
Ben Simmons and Jamal Murray would be one hell of a haul. Hopefully we'll finally get Embiid next year and Saric coming over from Europe. Add that to Okafor and Noel and we've got a squad to cheer for. This year has been brutal though.

Still, it beats this sorry ass college team masquerading as an NFL franchise.

That's delusional. There isn't any team worse than the 76ers. This time last year they were 0-17....they are attempting to duplicate that feat this season.
HobbEs
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 22 2015, 08:21 PM) *
That's delusional. There isn't any team worse than the 76ers. This time last year they were 0-17....they are attempting to duplicate that feat this season.

Did you read the part where I said this year has been brutal? But here's the thing: there were no expectations for the Sixers this year. Everyone knew they were going to be bad. The Eagles on the other hand, well we were all drinking the kool aid and talking about division championships and how far we could go in the playoffs. I'm pissed because I bought into all that and got stuck watching a dysfunctional mess with a head coach/gm who hasn't got a clue.

Hopefully he bolts for college after this season. I don't think he has the patience or a plan to fix this.
Phits
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Nov 22 2015, 08:36 PM) *
Did you read the part where I said this year has been brutal?

Yes I read that part. I also read the part where you stated "Still, it beats this sorry ass college team masquerading as an NFL franchise."

That's what I find delusional.

But here's the thing: there were no expectations for the Sixers this year. Everyone knew they were going to be bad. The Eagles on the other hand, well we were all drinking the kool aid and talking about division championships and how far we could go in the playoffs. I'm pissed because I bought into all that and got stuck watching a dysfunctional mess with a head coach/gm who hasn't got a clue.

So let me get this straight, you fell for the media hype and now you're sour because it didn't live up to expectations?

Gotcha.

I don't think he has the patience or a plan to fix this.

Everybody has a plan, get a QB...get better. Where to find said QB is the problem. It will be the same problem any HC or GM (or hybrid of the two) will have. He gave a #2 pick for Bradford, hoping that he could perform at an acceptable level. Anybody that doesn't see the logic in that needs "d'avoir leur tête examiné".
mcnabbulous
C'mon, Phits. This isn't about expectations at this point.

This team is getting demonstrably worse as the season progresses. And the same thing happened last year.

My expectations were misaligned. They were basically in the gutter after last week. And yet they still found a way to disappoint based on today's effort/performance.

I'm a fan of Chip, but this team simply isn't getting it done. And they have gotten older and more expensive under his watch. I get that he is trying to find his QB, which I would a agree is a requirement for success, but he has jeopardized long-term health in an effort to win now with this team and we're seemingly further from doing that than we were two years ago.

This team isn't close, the scheme is boring, and they're not very likable. I'm not quite sure I know what they can even do to give me a semblance of hope heading into next season. This team looks to be years (and another roster flip) from competing.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 22 2015, 09:10 PM) *
C'mon, Phits. This isn't about expectations at this point.

This team is getting demonstrably worse as the season progresses. And the same thing happened last year.

My expectations were misaligned. They were basically in the gutter after last week. And yet they still found a way to disappoint based on today's effort/performance.

It is absolutely about expectations. The fan base expected this team to take a leap forward, based on the previous 2 seasons and the off season roster flip. We have an expectation on how we think the team should be structured/built and a desire to have it built through the draft. Some people even use examples of teams that have failed to win it all by using free agency (though they fail to acknowledge the "failure" of 31 other teams that fail to win it all regardless of how their team is built).

A restructured team (usually) isn't expected to win it all in year 1 or year 2, that didn't stop us from expecting great things based on a very small sample size during TC.

This season our team has taken a step back offensively, which is a surprise for most, however we took a step forward defensively.

he has jeopardized long-term health in an effort to win now[/b] with this team and we're seemingly further from doing that than we were two years ago.

I don't agree. The roster overhaul was inevitable, as you have repeatedly stated, it should have happened 2 years ago when he first started

This team isn't close, the scheme is boring, and they're not very likable.

The scheme is boring because the players are failing to execute. 3 and outs aren't very interesting or entertaining.

I'm not quite sure I know what they can even do to give me a semblance of hope heading into next season. This team looks to be years (and another roster flip) from competing.

The defense, which has been our strong suit this season, had a bad game yesterday. It happens.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 23 2015, 08:58 AM) *
It is absolutely about expectations. The fan base expected this team to take a leap forward, based on the previous 2 seasons and the off season roster flip. We have an expectation on how we think the team should be structured/built and a desire to have it built through the draft. Some people even use examples of teams that have failed to win it all by using free agency (though they fail to acknowledge the "failure" of 31 other teams that fail to win it all regardless of how their team is built).

A restructured team (usually) isn't expected to win it all in year 1 or year 2, that didn't stop us from expecting great things based on a very small sample size during TC.

This season our team has taken a step back offensively, which is a surprise for most, however we took a step forward defensively.

This doesn't address the fact that we are failing to even meet the readjusted expectations that have been established through the season. We have lost the past two weeks, at home, to mediocre teams. And we got punched in the mouth yesterday.

Regardless of how you felt after the preseason, I think most everyone has established that this isn't a championship caliber team. Most acknowledge we aren't even a good team. Despite these readjusted expectations, we still disappointed yesterday.

I don't agree. The roster overhaul was inevitable, as you have repeatedly stated, it should have happened 2 years ago when he first started

Yes, he should have overhauled the roster immediately. But his decision to do so wasn't by building a core group of players young players through the draft. It was to piecemeal a group of veterans together that seemed to fit what he was looking for. Most of those guys are older and expensive. Meaning we still don't have a core group of guys to lead us forward.

The scheme is boring because the players are failing to execute. 3 and outs aren't very interesting or entertaining.

I think it's more than that at this point. Running a bunch of drag routes short of the sticks. Get tackled before the sticks. Punt. Rinse. Repeat.

The defense, which has been our strong suit this season, had a bad game yesterday. It happens.

That wasn't a bad game. That was a pathetic, uninspired game. It was one of the worst defensive efforts in NFL history. That isn't an exaggeration. 5 TD passes and over 250 yards rushing. Pathetic.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 23 2015, 10:10 AM) *
This doesn't address the fact that we are failing to even meet the readjusted expectations that have been established through the season. We have lost the past two weeks, at home, to mediocre teams. And we got punched in the mouth yesterday.

When you call a team mediocre, what is that based on? Considering 22/32 NFL teams are .500 or below (25 teams have 6 wins or less). We are a mediocre team, so winning/losing is not something to be taken for granted.

Regardless of how you felt after the preseason, I think most everyone has established that this isn't a championship caliber team. Most acknowledge we aren't even a good team. Despite these readjusted expectations, we still disappointed yesterday.

Question, would a close loss have inspired more optimism?

Yes, he should have overhauled the roster immediately. But his decision to do so wasn't by building a core group of players young players through the draft. It was to piecemeal a group of veterans together that seemed to fit what he was looking for. Most of those guys are older and expensive. Meaning we still don't have a core group of guys to lead us forward.

It doesn't matter whether the core group are veterans (through FA) or if they are drafted by our team. All that matters is who is under contract and for how long. That forms the "core".

That wasn't a bad game. That was a pathetic, uninspired game. It was one of the worst defensive efforts in NFL history. That isn't an exaggeration. 5 TD passes and over 250 yards rushing. Pathetic.

That is an exaggeration. It was a complete and utter pathetic defensive mess, but 521 combined yards of offense does not qualify for worst defensive efforts in NFL history.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 23 2015, 09:37 AM) *
When you call a team mediocre, what is that based on? Considering 22/32 NFL teams are .500 or below (25 teams have 6 wins or less). We are a mediocre team, so winning/losing is not something to be taken for granted.

Agreed. It's a competitive league. So why are we getting our asses handed to us, at home, against a comparable team with a rookie QB?

Question, would a close loss have inspired more optimism?

Optimism, no. But my pessimistic views of the future of this team are directly related to that dogshit performance. Last week's didn't help too much either.

It doesn't matter whether the core group are veterans (through FA) or if they are drafted by our team. All that matters is who is under contract and for how long. That forms the "core".

Usually if they are home grown, they are more budget friendly. That is a basic reality.

That is an exaggeration. It was a complete and utter pathetic defensive mess, but 521 combined yards of offense does not qualify for worst defensive efforts in NFL history.

No, it was one of the worst defensive efforts in NFL history. Only two teams in NFL history have given up 5 TD passes and 250 yards running. We happened to do it to an average running back and a rookie QB.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 23 2015, 10:41 AM) *
Agreed. It's a competitive league. So why are we getting our asses handed to us, at home, against a comparable team with a rookie QB?

FWIW, That rookie QB was a #1 pick and is better than every QB on our team.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 23 2015, 04:44 PM) *
FWIW, That rookie QB was a #1 pick and is better than every QB on our team.

I'm very aware of Jameis' ability. I saw it up close and personal at the Rose Bowl this year, when Oregon's defense smartly pressured him all day long. Instead of our passive approach that allowed him to comfortably sit in the pocket and shred us.

Jameis is a talented kid, but he's been turnover prone. We gave him to reason to feel flustered.
Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 23 2015, 06:09 PM) *
I'm very aware of Jameis' ability. I saw it up close and personal at the Rose Bowl this year, when Oregon's defense smartly pressured him all day long. Instead of our passive approach that allowed him to comfortably sit in the pocket and shred us.

Jameis is a talented kid, but he's been turnover prone. We gave him to reason to feel flustered.

I don't think he qualifies as turnover prone. He's been fairly competent with the football in his rookie season. He's got 9 INT's on the season and 4 of them came in 1 game (against Carolina).

The problem yesterday is that we dared them to beat us on the ground and they shredded us, which allowed Winston time to dissect us. Davis didn't adapt or the players were just over matched. Either way we stunk. It looks as though losing Hicks clearly has a bigger impact than imagined.
samaroo
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 24 2015, 12:10 AM) *

Man this is a tough town. Chip gets rid of players and everybody loses their shit. A couple bad games and he should have gotten rid of more players. Sheesh.

I haven't been able to post recently, but I've been keeping up as best I could. People are calling for Davis' head now, too? After we were lauding him for his awesome turnaround of the D this year? You guys are all bipolar as hell.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (samaroo @ Nov 24 2015, 12:54 AM) *
Man this is a tough town. Chip gets rid of players and everybody loses their shit. A couple bad games and he should have gotten rid of more players. Sheesh.

I haven't been able to post recently, but I've been keeping up as best I could. People are calling for Davis' head now, too? After we were lauding him for his awesome turnaround of the D this year? You guys are all bipolar as hell.

I'm okay with the decision to part with those guys. I just think he has done a poor job in the draft, which is where we need to excel to be a great team. Instead, we have relied on older free agents.
samaroo
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 25 2015, 01:20 AM) *
I'm okay with the decision to part with those guys. I just think he has done a poor job in the draft, which is where we need to excel to be a great team. Instead, we have relied on older free agents.

Okay, but which guys are busts? I know Smith is everybody's favorite whipping boy, but how bad do you think the drafts have been?

Most draft analysis sites I know of (including PFF) wait 5-6 years before deeming them successes or failures. Chip's had 2 drafts-by-committee and 1 all-Chip draft. We're 10 games from the latter, and 1 or 2 seasons from the formers.

Jimmy Johnson (the Dallas coach) took 4 years to bring his team to the SB. AND he benefitted from one of the greatest trades of all time. AND there wasn't a salary cap. Let Chip breathe, people. If he sucks, fine, he'll be gone in a few years. In that span of sucking with no SBs, we won't miss out on any SBs we wouldn't have won with a new coach starting over again.

People need to chill.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.