Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: End the Experiment
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
HobbEs
Please Jeff Lurie, get us a real NFL GM who in turn can hire a real NFL Head Coach.

Phits
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Nov 22 2015, 04:15 PM) *
Please Jeff Lurie, get us a real NFL GM who in turn can hire a real NFL Head Coach.

That would be the dumbest move we have made in a long time.

Just out of curiosity, who is available that qualifies as a real HC or GM?
HobbEs
Would it be any dumber than hiring Howie Roseman who had no previous experience running an NFL team? Who in turn hired a HC with no prior NFL experience?

Chip is overmatched. The rest of the league has caught on to him. His schemes may work at the college level but look at the results here. Just like Spurrier and others before him he's showing that even a good college coach can't cut it in the NFL.

Now, if you want to keep watching this garbage then more power to you bro. I'm done with Chip. As for who's out there? Hell, I'd take Marty Schottenheimer at this point.
HobbEs
And BTW, what do you see in Chip that you want to keep him at this point?
mcnabbulous
It's most definitely concerning that in each of the past two years, our team has seemingly gotten worse over time.

At least with Andy, we consistently (with the exception of 05 and 12) improved as the season progressed.

Phits
There was nothing to catch up to. Chips schemes are simple and based on execution.

If you don't have a good reliable QB play you don't win. It's that simple. If you want to hang that on Chip, be my guest...but until we find that QB anybody who takes the helms will have poor results.

QUOTE (HobbEs @ Nov 22 2015, 05:33 PM) *
Would it be any dumber than hiring Howie Roseman who had no previous experience running an NFL team? Who in turn hired a HC with no prior NFL experience?

Chip is overmatched. The rest of the league has caught on to him. His schemes may work at the college level but look at the results here. Just like Spurrier and others before him he's showing that even a good college coach can't cut it in the NFL.

Now, if you want to keep watching this garbage then more power to you bro. I'm done with Chip. As for who's out there? Hell, I'd take Marty Schottenheimer at this point.

HobbEs
Yeah, I'll hang that on Chip. Bradford is not the guy and he spent a 2nd round pick to find that out. That's likely to be a pretty good pick as well.

We have no QB, no receivers, no depth on the O-line, and not a whole lot of cap space due to the contracts of Maxwell and Murray. (How'd they look today, BTW?) Chip's makeover has been nothing short of a disaster. The sooner Lurie gets someone in here who has a clue the sooner we can get back to real football. The only thing we excel at is going three-and-out.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Nov 23 2015, 01:09 AM) *
Yeah, I'll hang that on Chip. Bradford is not the guy and he spent a 2nd round pick to find that out. That's likely to be a pretty good pick as well.

We have no QB, no receivers, no depth on the O-line, and not a whole lot of cap space due to the contracts of Maxwell and Murray. (How'd they look today, BTW?) Chip's makeover has been nothing short of a disaster. The sooner Lurie gets someone in here who has a clue the sooner we can get back to real football. The only thing we excel at is going three-and-out.

Murray's day was not bad. I did not see the end of the 3rd or any of the 4th quarter but up until that point he was effective with the ball in his hands. I am assuming the Eagles abandoned the run game shortly after I stopped watching due to the score.

HobbEs
This from PFT:

Maybe Chip Kelly isnít cut out for this. Kelly was given total control of the Eagles this offseason, and the results speak for themselves: Philadelphia is 4-6 after yesterdayís 45-17 beatdown at the hands of the Buccaneers. The NFC East stinks, which means the Eagles still have a chance to reach the playoffs, but the reality is Kellyís team isnít very good. It might be time for Kelly and Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie to mutually agree that Kelly should go back to coaching in college. Kelly was great at Oregon and could win a national championship at a place like USC, Miami or LSU. Itís not working in the NFL.
Phits
Last season Cam Newton and Ron Rivera were mediocre and won the division with a 7-8-1 record. Their offense was ranked 19th and their defense was 21st. This year they are 10-0, both HC and QB are heralded and they rank in the top 10 for both O & D.
HobbEs
Cam Newton is a special talent and was drafted #1 overall. Do we have anybody special? Hmmm...

Desean Jackson was run off.
Jeremy Maclin was allowed to walk.
Shady McCoy traded to the Bills.
Evan Mathis was cut.
Todd Heremans was let go.

Hell, even if we had Cam he'd be gone cause, you know, scheme trumps talent.

Face it bro, this team has gotten worse every year Chip's been here. The one playmaker we do have is Sproles and he's unhappy because he's not being used to the best of his abilities.

Chip took pro bowl talent and replaced it with, what? Rookies? Journeymen? You can say he gambled...but he gambled and lost. Now what? Has Chip the GM shown anything that makes you think he can right the ship? I don't see anything...
mcnabbulous
Your argument has merit, HobbEs, but it loses steam when you try to fit Mathis and Heremans into the "special talent" grouping. Don't water it down.

Our defense has some really strong players, but you're correct...our offense is severly lacking. Mathews looks special when he is on the field, but he needs to catch the ball. That is about it.
Wheeljack
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 23 2015, 12:44 PM) *
Your argument has merit, HobbEs, but it loses steam when you try to fit Mathis and Heremans into the "special talent" grouping. Don't water it down.

Our defense has some really strong players, but you're correct...our offense is severly lacking. Mathews looks special when he is on the field, but he needs to catch the ball. That is about it.

it was time to move on from Herremans, but Mathis worked pretty well alongside Peters. Kelce in comparison is meh. But you know, the Flyers fans among us love the guy.

Bradford was a mistake. Eagles needed to move on from Foles (if you've seen the Rams lately, you can get an idea) but I was convinced that Sam wouldn't be as shook as he is now.

Eagles suddenly need everything again. They need a QB especially. Maybe in the offseason. They need a GM that isn't Chip Kelly, as well. You can't "cheat" your way into talent the way you can in college.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Wheeljack @ Nov 23 2015, 12:21 PM) *
it was time to move on from Herremans, but Mathis worked pretty well alongside Peters. Kelce in comparison is meh. But you know, the Flyers fans among us love the guy.

Everyone does acknowledge that Peters pretty vocally didn't want to play next to Mathis anymore, right?

Bradford was a mistake. Eagles needed to move on from Foles (if you've seen the Rams lately, you can get an idea) but I was convinced that Sam wouldn't be as shook as he is now.

Was worth the risk. Unfortunate it didn't work out, but it was a long shot. We were better this year with Bradford than we would have been with Foles, but it wasn't the upgrade we needed.

Eagles suddenly need everything again. They need a QB especially. Maybe in the offseason. They need a GM that isn't Chip Kelly, as well. You can't "cheat" your way into talent the way you can in college.

It does feel like we need a pretty significant makeover. Obviously a QB is #1 on the list, but that's the case for most teams. 2013 really fucked us, when we could have drafted Bridgewater or Carr.
Zero
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Nov 23 2015, 09:22 AM) *
This from PFT:

Maybe Chip Kelly isnít cut out for this. Kelly was given total control of the Eagles this offseason, and the results speak for themselves: Philadelphia is 4-6 after yesterdayís 45-17 beatdown at the hands of the Buccaneers. The NFC East stinks, which means the Eagles still have a chance to reach the playoffs, but the reality is Kellyís team isnít very good. It might be time for Kelly and Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie to mutually agree that Kelly should go back to coaching in college. Kelly was great at Oregon and could win a national championship at a place like USC, Miami or LSU. Itís not working in the NFL.

Shoulda posted this here.
PhillySteaks
One word..

Embarrassing. ...
Phits
QUOTE (HobbEs @ Nov 23 2015, 11:13 AM) *
Cam Newton is a special talent and was drafted #1 overall. Do we have anybody special? Hmmm...

People didn't think he was that special last season. Same could be said for Carson palmer at the end of his time with the Bengals and his time with Oakland.

My point is that sometimes you have to let things play out, especially if there is nothing to gain by making a rash management move.

Jeremy Maclin was allowed to walk.

Did you think we could tie him up and force him to stay?
Shady McCoy traded to the Bills.

His replacements have been equally as effective as he has been.
Evan Mathis was cut. Todd Heremans was let go.
point being?

Hell, even if we had Cam he'd be gone cause, you know, scheme trumps talent.

Chip took pro bowl talent and replaced it with, what? Rookies? Journeymen? You can say he gambled...but he gambled and lost. Now what? Has Chip the GM shown anything that makes you think he can right the ship? I don't see anything...

I don't care whether it is Chip Kelly or Chip 'n Dale, replacing a GM after a single off-season is ridiculously stupid.
PhillySteaks
The experiment has been a failure. .a disaster. .
The Franchise
This was an 'experiment' the way holding a bundle of feathers in each arm and jumping off a cliff to prove man can fly is an 'experiment.' Chip Kelly has destroyed this franchise. We won't be headed to the playoffs for another 5 years.
samaroo
QUOTE (The Franchise @ Nov 24 2015, 12:42 PM) *
This was an 'experiment' the way holding a bundle of feathers in each arm and jumping off a cliff to prove man can fly is an 'experiment.' Chip Kelly has destroyed this franchise. We won't be headed to the playoffs for another 5 years.

Jesus. Hyperbole and fatalism are running rampant!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (samaroo @ Nov 24 2015, 01:06 AM) *
Jesus. Hyperbole and fatalism are running rampant!

It's amazing how rarely we get new posters around here after a win.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 24 2015, 11:18 AM) *
It's amazing how rarely we get new posters around here after a win.

It is just a statement on their part on how pathetic their lives truly are.
JeeQ
Chip The GM set up Chip The Coach for failure
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 25 2015, 10:16 AM) *

It's possible, but what reasonable QB situation this past offseason makes our team dramatically better. Regardless of the other moves?

From my perspective, Maclin walking weakened us the most. None of the other moves really shook things up dramatically in either direction.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 25 2015, 11:16 AM) *

Chip the GM has barely gotten started.....don't confuse the 2.....Chip the coach has not been doing a credible job of utilizing the talent he has. There is no excuse to start every game so poorly.....that is coaching....whether it is the defense or the offense, the team seems as if they have ignored game film on their opponents and generally start off trying their tried and true failure method and then try to adjust as the game goes on...you can't start so poorly for so many games and not try something new.....and the GM has nothing to do with that. The only move that can truly be critiqued with little defense is not addressing the offensive line....other than that each and every move is defensible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.