Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chip the GM
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/11...rd-trade-eagles

At least we can lose Bradford after this season cap hit free, that 14M guaranteed to Foles paints the Rams into a corner, one hell of an expensive backup.

Look, I know Bradford looks like a bust, but given the options out there he at least had some potential. Looks like Chip was right about Foles though, and most of the guys no longer around. As far as the guys brought in, some are pretty good (Thurmond, R Mathews) and some aren't panning out...and it happens with every team. Basically he tried to change too much too fast, but apart from Maclin (who he did try to keep) none of the guys who left have done anything this year to tell me they should have stayed.

I still see this as a rebuilding year (year 1 for GM Chip) and it is far too early to say he is a bust. I really think he may chuck Bradford and get Kaepernick next year, not sure if he is the answer, but he is the kind of QB that gives Ds fits in this O. Add a couple of solid OL players and we would be a much more dangerous O.

Reid had the benefit of a QB rich draft and the 2 pick, Chip would have taken a QB at 4 in year 1 if there was a decent one, but there wasn't. Then he wins 10 games in each of the next two years and has no high draft picks for a franchise QB. That is the biggest problem he has faced and unless he finds the right QB we ain't going anywhere. Sure, he could have thrown last season to get Mariotta (and I mean right from the start) but that would never happen.

I have written this year off as one where we have added a few, but not quite enough pieces, to finish the puzzle. I think we will need far less next year and have a shot at adding them, but if Chip goes (like so many seem to want now) then accept another 3-5 years before we can contend.
Phits
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Nov 16 2015, 11:51 PM) *
I have written this year off as one where we have added a few, but not quite enough pieces, to finish the puzzle. I think we will need far less next year and have a shot at adding them, but if Chip goes (like so many seem to want now) then accept another 3-5 years before we can contend.

Nice post BW.

Those who think Chip will be gone at season's end are deluding themselves. Building a championship team isn't something that occurs over a single season. The owner of the Eagles knows this and has obviously put his faith in Chip over the long haul, by giving him GM power to go with his HC title.

The risk with Bradford is the type of thing we have to expect in trying to find a reliable QB, let alone a franchise QB. This season is a wash. My head told me that during the off-season, but I got caught up in the emotion of a season. In particular during a season where the only real (clear cut) contender for the SB are the Pats in the AFC....and they just lost another spoke in their wheel...but they have a franchise QB and that's where it all starts.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 16 2015, 11:22 PM) *
Nice post BW.

Those who think Chip will be gone at season's end are deluding themselves. Building a championship team isn't something that occurs over a single season. The owner of the Eagles knows this and has obviously put his faith in Chip over the long haul, by giving him GM power to go with his HC title.

The risk with Bradford is the type of thing we have to expect in trying to find a reliable QB, let alone a franchise QB. This season is a wash. My head told me that during the off-season, but I got caught up in the emotion of a season. In particular during a season where the only real (clear cut) contender for the SB are the Pats in the AFC....and they just lost another spoke in their wheel...but they have a franchise QB and that's where it all starts.

Of course he won't be gone at the end of this season. But he should be gone at the end of next season if he doesn't have the team in the playoffs and making a real strong run for a SB once they get there.

I say that, because to me, it looks like he is attempting to build a team through free agency (oy vey), and if that is the case, then you get two years with me, to get this team to at least the cusp of a SB, and that is it.

Now if he scraps the build my team through free agency and decides to go the draft route, then he gets a good 3 years from me to prove that he is headed in the right direction.

And yes, if you don't have a top tier QB on your team, your odds of winning a SB are not good.
Zero
I think we may see Bradford resigned. I'm not in favor of it, but I think Chip sees potential in him and realizes that the WRs suck and the OL is shaky at best. Combine that with the fact that Bradford was not only out of football for a year and a half, regaining confidence in his knee and learning a new system effectively with little preseason work and there's an argument to explain/excuse his shittyness. Add in the dearth of available QBs who would/could be better and it's not a stretch to see him back on some limited contract.

I'm not sure that Kaep would prove any better. He can run the option convincingly but can he read defenses quickly and throw accurately? I'd rather see a guy drop in the draft (Rodgers, Brady), trade for a backup he can mentor or he trains a guy like Morris on the PS. I can actually see the last as a possibility, but won't be surprised to see Bradford again. sad.gif
Phits
I would rather see a QB carousel until we find the right fit. Sanchez is signed as our QB (backup), so we have a serviceable player who knows the system. I just don't see the benefit of Bradford. He was getting better every week, but it seems clear that his "better" just isn't good enough.

QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 17 2015, 10:26 AM) *
I think we may see Bradford resigned. I'm not in favor of it, but I think Chip sees potential in him and realizes that the WRs suck and the OL is shaky at best. Combine that with the fact that Bradford was not only out of football for a year and a half, regaining confidence in his knee and learning a new system effectively with little preseason work and there's an argument to explain/excuse his shittyness. Add in the dearth of available QBs who would/could be better and it's not a stretch to see him back on some limited contract.

I'm not sure that Kaep would prove any better. He can run the option convincingly but can he read defenses quickly and throw accurately? I'd rather see a guy drop in the draft (Rodgers, Brady), trade for a backup he can mentor or he trains a guy like Morris on the PS. I can actually see the last as a possibility, but won't be surprised to see Bradford again. sad.gif
D Rock
Sanchez is NOT SERVICEABLE. Sanchez Sucks Balls. He is a human turn over machine.

Eyrie
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 17 2015, 05:04 PM) *
Sanchez is NOT SERVICEABLE. Sanchez Sucks Balls. He is a human turn over machine.

And yet he's still better than Bradford despite being only a decent calibre back up.

We need a new starting QB and the question is where the hell do we find one?
D Rock
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 17 2015, 08:26 PM) *
And yet he's still better than Bradford

To this I say "Bull Shit."

Ya'll wanted Marky Mark to start. Ya'll are gonna get your wish.

laugh.gif
Joegrane
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 17 2015, 09:26 AM) *
I think we may see Bradford resigned. I'm not in favor of it, but I think Chip sees potential in him and realizes that the WRs suck and the OL is shaky at best. Combine that with the fact that Bradford was not only out of football for a year and a half, regaining confidence in his knee and learning a new system effectively with little preseason work and there's an argument to explain/excuse his shittyness. Add in the dearth of available QBs who would/could be better and it's not a stretch to see him back on some limited contract.....

I agree entirely.

Sanchez is NOT SERVICEABLE. Sanchez Sucks Balls. He is a human turn over machine. D Rock.

Yep, that is my concern about him too. With Bradford there is reason to hope he would perform better with a better O Line and WRs. With Sanchez, why would someone think he would not make bad decisions even with better WRs?

Bradford. He was getting better every week, but it seems clear that his "better" just isn't good enough. Phits

What are your alternatives? At least he was improving.

I think we will see him again this season. Chip needs to make a decision at the end of the season. Is Chip going to not resign Bradford and then give St Louis another pick to get Foles back as #2 to Sanchez?!
Birdwatcher
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...l#disqus_thread

I usually don't agree with Marcus Hayes, but he made the point better than I did.

Zero
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Nov 20 2015, 12:56 AM) *
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...l#disqus_thread

I usually don't agree with Marcus Hayes, but he made the point better than I did.

I'm not normally a fan of Hayes, but what he says has a lot of merit. He may not get Hinke time, but at least give him next year to see how things develop. Problem is, Eagle fans are not known for their patience.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.