Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jenkins tackling of Witten
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Spock
WIP caller said it was the smartest play he had seen in a while. The host agreed with him. Neither were being sarcastic. What was down, distance and exactly where was ball. Was it just to stop the momentum? I feel like I must have been distracted or something at that moment in the game, bc when I saw the tackle, nothing resonated with me as to why this was good strategy.

Thanks.
nd9kel
Bradford's been giving Jenkins tackling tips....
nephillymike
QUOTE (Spock @ Nov 11 2015, 07:16 AM) *
WIP caller said it was the smartest play he had seen in a while. The host agreed with him. Neither were being sarcastic. What was down, distance and exactly where was ball. Was it just to stop the momentum? I feel like I must have been distracted or something at that moment in the game, bc when I saw the tackle, nothing resonated with me as to why this was good strategy.

Thanks.

I haven't had much time to listen but when I saw that, I thought it was so blatant that there must have been a reason for it but I have not heard anything on it. If I do, I'll post it.
D Rock
QUOTE (Spock @ Nov 11 2015, 01:16 PM) *

Thanks.

Here's the logic. By taking JW out, he's conceding 5 yards (via holding penalty) and giving them a shot at a long FG. If they connect on that play, they give up 15 yards minimum, and take a shot at a much easier FG.

With the time left on the clock, there's zero chance they run another play . . . no matter where they are on the field. The only better outcome for the birds, would be incomplete . . . or sack.

Spock
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 11 2015, 11:57 PM) *
Here's the logic. By taking JW out, he's conceding 5 yards (via holding penalty) and giving them a shot at a long FG. If they connect on that play, they give up 15 yards minimum, and take a shot at a much easier FG.

With the time left on the clock, there's zero chance they run another play . . . no matter where they are on the field. The only better outcome for the birds, would be incomplete . . . or sack.

I re-watched and agree that is the logic, but there are other variables in play here.

1. Tackling JW does not guarantee that Dallas does not connect for 15 years to Dez or someone else.

2. The penalty moved the FGA from 49 to 44 yards, that's a big 5 yards. I know thinkgs would have been different, but looking at the 44 yarder, that would have been a miss at 49 yards.

3. Tackling JW eliminates the possibility of a TO (game over) or a sack (Hail Mary time).

It worked out in the long run but was not a no-brainer. I wonder who called it? Coaches or Jenkins?
Birdman420
QUOTE (Spock @ Nov 12 2015, 06:10 AM) *
I wonder who called it? Coaches or Jenkins?

Got me curious to know as well.
mcnabbulous
Seeing as how Jenkins was concussed, I don't think anyone called it.
Pila
Concussions are very complicated as unlike most other physical injuries, it isn't just a matter of degree, but also a matter of which part of the brain is injured.
Joegrane
If it was called by the coach, as I assume, it means they can double other players making it less likely to complete a pass. It also makes it less likely that Dallas scores a TD on a reception plus broken tackle.

QUOTE (Spock @ Nov 12 2015, 05:10 AM) *
I re-watched and agree that is the logic, but there are other variables in play here.

1. Tackling JW does not guarantee that Dallas does not connect for 15 years to Dez or someone else.

2. The penalty moved the FGA from 49 to 44 yards, that's a big 5 yards. I know thinkgs would have been different, but looking at the 44 yarder, that would have been a miss at 49 yards.

3. Tackling JW eliminates the possibility of a TO (game over) or a sack (Hail Mary time).

It worked out in the long run but was not a no-brainer. I wonder who called it? Coaches or Jenkins?

Birdman420
Joe, I think mcnabbulous is pointing at his concussion as the reason to why he tackled witten on accident.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Nov 12 2015, 04:48 PM) *
Joe, I think mcnabbulous is pointing at his concussion as the reason to why he tackled witten on accident.

Yeah, no clue if it's really the case. Just a strange play by a dude who was admittedly foggy during the game and getting torched by Cole Beasley. Something doesn't add up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.