Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles' Lane Johnson: I put 'extra mustard' on Greg Hardy blocks
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Eyrie
The players should also be asking questions of the NFLPA, given that it supported Hardy's appeal against the NFL's suspension.
Birdman420
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 9 2015, 07:12 PM) *
The players should also be asking questions of the NFLPA, given that it supported Hardy's appeal against the NFL's suspension.

absolutely, why isn't this blowing up like deflate-gate?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Nov 9 2015, 08:08 PM) *
absolutely, why isn't this blowing up like deflate-gate?

becasue it is a union.....as distasteful as it was for the NFLPA they really had no choice or Hardy would have sued them
D Rock
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 10 2015, 12:12 AM) *

The NFLPA has a legal obligation to appeal Hardy's suspension. To look at the NFLPA's having done its job as some sort of quasi support of his actions is ignorant, and wrong.
Eyrie
A union has a responsibility to act in the best interests of all of its members, not just one. Clearly some of its members are unhappy.

It could have offered support and counselling to Hardy, together with advice that it would be better for him to accept the suspension as a show of contrition.

D Rock
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 10 2015, 08:51 PM) *
A union has a responsibility to act in the best interests of all of its members, not just one. Clearly some of its members are unhappy.

It could have offered support and counselling to Hardy, together with advice that it would be better for him to accept the suspension as a show of contrition.

Is there some part of "legal obligation" you don't understand?

tongue.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 10 2015, 07:53 PM) *
Is there some part of "legal obligation" you don't understand?

tongue.gif

I'm surprised that this "legal obligation" applies under all circumstances. What if Johnson had deliberately injured Hardy during the game? Would the NFLPA have had a legal obligation to defend him against any action the NFL might take?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 10 2015, 03:57 PM) *
I'm surprised that this "legal obligation" applies under all circumstances. What if Johnson had deliberately injured Hardy during the game? Would the NFLPA have had a legal obligation to defend him against any action the NFL might take?

oddly..yes..

They have to respect his wishes if he would choose to appeal and vigorously defend him...they may counsel hi otherwise but it is his decision to make.....
Eyrie
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 10 2015, 08:32 PM) *
oddly..yes..

They have to respect his wishes if he would choose to appeal and vigorously defend him...they may counsel hi otherwise but it is his decision to make.....

OK, thanks to both for the clarification.
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 10 2015, 03:32 PM) *
oddly..yes..

The NFLPA defended him, but it was an impartial arbitrator who made the decision. I blamed Goodell, but in fact the reason that shit bag is making $millions and playing football is Jerry Jones and other owners like him. They don't need to hire him, but the their morals are in the toilet and all they care about is winning. If Jones had any respectability he never would have brought him in and if hoped to get any he'd fire his punk ass today. I really don't understand how fans can not harass the shit out of the Joneses for keeping that POS on the team.
Birdman420
Not to blanket statement here but...

Southern people are more forgiving about things like this so I doubt Jerry will hear much from his fan base as long as hardy is a competitor.

I recently adopted a coonhound from south carolina that had his tail sawed off with a kitchen knife and thrown out into the streets to fend for himself. He found a restaurant to hide behind and loot dumpsters until the humane society picked him up. Apparently this is normal in the south and those lucky enough to make the trip north live out their lives.

not the best analogy... but still- the mindset.
D Rock
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Nov 11 2015, 04:18 PM) *
Southern people are more forgiving about things like this

Translation: Southern people are backwards idiots who still accept racism, women beating, and imaginary friends as "the american way."
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 10 2015, 07:41 PM) *
The NFLPA defended him, but it was an impartial arbitrator who made the decision. I blamed Goodell, but in fact the reason that shit bag is making $millions and playing football is Jerry Jones and other owners like him. They don't need to hire him, but the their morals are in the toilet and all they care about is winning. If Jones had any respectability he never would have brought him in and if hoped to get any he'd fire his punk ass today. I really don't understand how fans can not harass the shit out of the Joneses for keeping that POS on the team.

The NFLPA defended him to the arbitrator who used the guidelines of the CBA to render a decision. He also factored in precedents of punishment for acts similar and for first offense.

and yes, Jones is a POS
Birdman420
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 11 2015, 01:07 PM) *
Translation: Southern people are backwards idiots who still accept racism, women beating, and imaginary friends as "the american way."

Spot on, thanks.
nd9kel
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Nov 11 2015, 10:18 AM) *
Not to blanket statement here but...

Southern people are more forgiving about things like this so I doubt Jerry will hear much from his fan base as long as hardy is a competitor.

I recently adopted a coonhound from south carolina that had his tail sawed off with a kitchen knife and thrown out into the streets to fend for himself. He found a restaurant to hide behind and loot dumpsters until the humane society picked him up. Apparently this is normal in the south and those lucky enough to make the trip north live out their lives.

not the best analogy... but still- the mindset.

Good on you for showing exceptional love for that unfortunate creature.

Bad on you for making a baseless blanket statement about people in the south. I lived in the heart of Dixie (Alabama), and there is more racial tolerance there present-day than in the north. There are more stringent laws in most northern states about raising dogs, so there's an overabundance that are adopted to northerners. But most southerners love their animals.
Birdman420
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Nov 11 2015, 06:44 PM) *
Good on you for showing exceptional love for that unfortunate creature.

Bad on you for making a baseless blanket statement about people in the south. I lived in the heart of Dixie (Alabama), and there is more racial tolerance there present-day than in the north. There are more stringent laws in most northern states about raising dogs, so there's an overabundance that are adopted to northerners. But most southerners love their animals.

I was born in Ft worth Texas, pretty sure I can pick apart my own gene pool. Southern hospitality is very real, that is if you're welcome. I'm glad Dixie is a friendly town but they aren't all like that. And perhaps I quoted the views of the humane society and adoption agency when I called to inquire about what had happened to this dog before I got him(no one knew anything, it was up to me to find out).

Dogs up north are called pets, down south my dog was a working hunting dog that couldn't cut it(riley cooper of catching ducks I suppose).
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Nov 11 2015, 08:07 PM) *
I was born in Ft worth Texas, pretty sure I can pick apart my own gene pool. Southern hospitality is very real, that is if you're welcome. I'm glad Dixie is a friendly town but they aren't all like that. And perhaps I quoted the views of the humane society and adoption agency when I called to inquire about what had happened to this dog before I got him(no one knew anything, it was up to me to find out).

Dogs up north are called pets, down south my dog was a working hunting dog that couldn't cut it(riley cooper of catching ducks I suppose).

hahaha...nice one....

and well done adopting the pup...

I got one from Tennessee via the Canine Cowboys....not sure what her back story is/was......but she was and is skittish as hell to this day even though she lives like a princess......she has settled in to beating the hell out of my 90 lb. boxer and my 11 year old basset.

I went to college in Alabama and my roommates were from Miss. and Louisiana. They had dogs and treated them well though in the South it seemed like they like to let their dogs sleep outside more....mine would be lost without a king sized bed...lol
D Rock
I used to tour around the deep south in my 20s and spent a lot of time in Muscle Schoals, Decatur, and Birmingham area making my first 2 records in the late 80s early 90s.

I agree that southern hospitality is real, if you're part of the welcomed set. That said, we used to catch some flack around B-Ham for our long hair and hippy attire.

In my experience, most southern folk treat their dogs better than their women. Certainly better than any minority unlucky enough to be in their territory.
Birdman420
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 11 2015, 11:51 PM) *
In my experience, most southern folk treat their dogs better than their women. Certainly better than any minority unlucky enough to be in their territory.

Haha yup! Well as I said I was quoting what the Humane rep said, of coarse they are going to be biased when they have to drum up donations for their cause. I doubt that ALL dogs that end up with the shelter are treated as badly as mine was but it makes you wonder.

With all of this, I'm not sure why I dismissed Vick's infractions as time served. If I had seen someone actually do what he was convicted of doing to a dog- I'd shoot him dead. But somehow I was able to not only forgive him but support him playing here as our guy for a while. Morality is such a twisty bitch.

Thank you South Carolina for the pup! Darwin may have gotten his tail cut off with a kitchen knife, cut deep to the root of where the tail came from(actually this was really gross, done like you would carve a pumpkin- puss spewing out for weeks from a 4 inch puncture wound and has had to wear his party cone for over 2 months now). But his little nub is almost healed now and he can wag that little sucker like the best of them! And he wears an EAGLES collar!

mcnabbulous
Vick's actions were despicable, but he at least showed humility afterwards.

My dog was surrendered to a shelter after some traumatic injury. Fortunately a group in Austin rescued him from a euthanize list. He has to wear diapers, but I can't imagine a better dog. He is definitely lucky he was just outside the largest no-kill city in the country or his fate would have been much different. I'm lucky too smile.gif
D Rock
my pooch is a rescue from the local shelter. he's a peach.
nd9kel
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 11 2015, 09:51 PM) *
I used to tour around the deep south in my 20s and spent a lot of time in Muscle Schoals, Decatur, and Birmingham area making my first 2 records in the late 80s early 90s.

I agree that southern hospitality is real, if you're part of the welcomed set. That said, we used to catch some flack around B-Ham for our long hair and hippy attire.

Muscle Shoals is some serious recording business. Just ask the Rolling Stones! I left Alabama around 2004, and you were as likely to see an interracial couple as a same race couple by that time. Except for Arab, Alabama. KKK still an influence there.

On topic: Hardy just becomes a bigger lightening rod as the days go by. The power of pictures. Plus he's his own worst enemy, tweeting crap about not being charged. His only hope is in shutting up and playing hard and clean. I expect epic fail.

Birdman: That is one cute pooch.
Birdman420
QUOTE (nd9kel @ Nov 12 2015, 04:52 PM) *
On topic: Hardy just becomes a bigger lightening rod as the days go by. The power of pictures. Plus he's his own worst enemy, tweeting crap about not being charged. His only hope is in shutting up and playing hard and clean. I expect epic fail.

Yeah how is it that his agent, team, family aren't up this guys ass about how he's handling all of this? It's obvious he never cared nor will ever care, hasn't the league been working on taking guys like this to the curb for the last two years? Seems insane that it's even gotten to this point.
Zero
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Nov 12 2015, 05:46 PM) *
Yeah how is it that his agent, team, family aren't up this guys ass about how he's handling all of this? It's obvious he never cared nor will ever care, hasn't the league been working on taking guys like this to the curb for the last two years? Seems insane that it's even gotten to this point.

Answer: It's Jerry Jones' Cowboys.
nephillymike
Thats one of the things that makes us pounding Hardy into submission late in the game so enjoyable, that and the look on Jerry's face on Hicks Pick Six.

Guys who lack character give up when the going gets tough.

The Cowgirls have more than a few.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.