Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mid Season Report Card
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
CT_Eagle
We are halfway through the season so I figured it was time to look back and evaluate how we got here. This is not an in depth evaluation, just scratching this surface for conversation.

Chip Kelly - GM, Grade F
Not much has gone well with Kelly's off season moves. Here is a brief summary

QB - D If it was just an exchange of Foles for Bradford, this would be a C. I have not seen anything through 8 games from Bradford that we could not have gotten from Foles. The loss of the 2nd round pick makes this a D. Until beating Dallas it was an F. Bradford had a good game last night which upped the grade a bit.
RB - C+ I prefer having Murray and Mathews over McCoy but only slightly. Alonso has been out most of the season so there is no way to gauge his impact on this move
WR - D Not using a non-exclusive tag on Maclin was a mistake and the Eagles are missing his production. Chip drafted Agholar but he has not seen enough action to grade
CB - C+ Maxwell really struggled early in the season but he has been playing better recently. The contract is a killer so Chip is going to need to get more out of Maxwell going forward to get a better grade here. Rowe was drafted but his grade is an incomplete at this point.
S - A Acquiring Thurmond and moving him to safety was a great move. The S position for the Eagles has gone from a weakness to a strength very quickly.
OL - F Letting 2 starters go and not spending a draft pick on the OL was not a good decision. Throw in the fact that Peters is aging and Chip will need to spend some resources on the line this offseason.
LB - A Drafting Hicks alone gets solid marks. Letting Cole go, while unpopular, was the right thing to do. If Alonso pans out Chip will have hit a home run here.

Chip Kelly - Coach C
This has been a tough season for Chip. Trying to get so many new pieces on the offense to gel is a huge task. It does look like they are starting to come around. The players, through dropped passes, penalties and lack of execution added to Chip's misery.

Offense D+
The offense is just now starting to gel, at least that is my hope. It has been very difficult to watch this train wreck. Dropped paces, poor blocking, penalties, high snaps, etc. Murphy's law was alive and well in Philly this year.

Defense B+
The defense has pretty much saved the season for the Eagles. Last night's game was their low point but they did manage to put 6 on the board.

That is it. Quick and dirty.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Nov 9 2015, 01:10 PM) *
We are halfway through the season so I figured it was time to look back and evaluate how we got here. This is not an in depth evaluation, just scratching this surface for conversation.

Chip Kelly - GM, Grade F
Not much has gone well with Kelly's off season moves. Here is a brief summary

QB - D If it was just an exchange of Foles for Bradford, this would be a C. I have not seen anything through 8 games from Bradford that we could not have gotten from Foles. The loss of the 2nd round pick makes this a D. Until beating Dallas it was an F. Bradford had a good game last night which upped the grade a bit.

I think you miss the point of the move a little.....it was a gamble but you knew what you had in Foles....basically he drafted another QB....up until last night it was looking bad and there are 8 games left where it can go either way but it is no worse than having Foles and has a possible higher ceiling..
RB - C+ I prefer having Murray and Mathews over McCoy but only slightly. Alonso has been out most of the season so there is no way to gauge his impact on this move
This one has me scratching my head.....M&M has 167 carries for 800 yds and 8 TDs.....McCoy has 94 carries for 416 yds and 2 TDs......regardless of Alonzo that seems to be a big win...and that is after a bad start to the season
WR - D Not using a non-exclusive tag on Maclin was a mistake and the Eagles are missing his production. Chip drafted Agholar but he has not seen enough action to grade
Have to agree here....while I don't like the idea of paying Maclin 12-13 million per year the WR situation is not pretty...not sure what another answer would be
CB - C+ Maxwell really struggled early in the season but he has been playing better recently. The contract is a killer so Chip is going to need to get more out of Maxwell going forward to get a better grade here. Rowe was drafted but his grade is an incomplete at this point.
agreed
S - A Acquiring Thurmond and moving him to safety was a great move. The S position for the Eagles has gone from a weakness to a strength very quickly.
agreed
OL - F Letting 2 starters go and not spending a draft pick on the OL was not a good decision. Throw in the fact that Peters is aging and Chip will need to spend some resources on the line this offseason.
and yet the OL is ranked in the top ten by PFF.....and looked good last night...
LB - A Drafting Hicks alone gets solid marks. Letting Cole go, while unpopular, was the right thing to do. If Alonso pans out Chip will have hit a home run here.
agreed
Chip Kelly - Coach C
This has been a tough season for Chip. Trying to get so many new pieces on the offense to gel is a huge task. It does look like they are starting to come around. The players, through dropped passes, penalties and lack of execution added to Chip's misery.

I lean toward a B only because he has had to overcome some seriously inopportune injuries......but I can agree with a C

Offense D+
The offense is just now starting to gel, at least that is my hope. It has been very difficult to watch this train wreck. Dropped paces, poor blocking, penalties, high snaps, etc. Murphy's law was alive and well in Philly this year.

Agreed

Defense B+
The defense has pretty much saved the season for the Eagles. Last night's game was their low point but they did manage to put 6 on the board.

Agreed
That is it. Quick and dirty.

I give him an incomplete on the GM......to early to tell after 8 games as a GM.....GM is long range to a large degree....
CT_Eagle
I understood the QB move and supported it for the reasons you stated. But, as you said, Bradford is no worse than Foles at this point. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Couple that with the loss of the second round pick and Chip came up short. I agree the potential is there for this move to pan out but this is a mid season evaluation and I am not considering potential.

One thing I stayed away from is using what the departed players are doing with their new teams. No
One knows what McCoy would be doing if he were still an Eagle. Right now M&M are on pace to have 34 more carries combined than McCoy had last season and about .4 more yards per attempt. Negligible difference there. They do have better receiving numbers which is why they get the slightly positive grade. If Alonso pans out, this grade will go up at the end of the season.

I am surprised to see the line is ranked 10. I would not have guessed that. With that in mind, I am raising the grade from an F to a D. The line was ranked 2nd overall last year so Chips off season moves dropped them 8 in the rankings.

You don't get a pass on grading Chip as a GM. You cannot wait until the end of the season to give a mid season grade.
Phits
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Nov 9 2015, 01:55 PM) *
One thing I stayed away from is using what the departed players are doing with their new teams. No
One knows what McCoy would be doing if he were still an Eagle.

You have to compare current production, not previous performances. McCoy has gone down twice this season with injuries (He was having a hell of a game yesterday before he left with a shoulder injury).

However, to play your game, general stats suggest that our new RB's are out producing McCoy's production from last season. At this point last season (after 8 games):

McCoy (2014)
159 carries - 622 rushing yards (3.9 y/a)
20 receptions - 94 yards (4.7 y/c)

Murray/Mathews
173 carries - 799 rushing yards (4.6 y/a)
41 receptions - 307 yards (7.5 y/c)

CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 9 2015, 11:15 PM) *
You have to compare current production, not previous performances. McCoy has gone down twice this season with injuries (He was having a hell of a game yesterday before he left with a shoulder injury).

However, to play your game, general stats suggest that our new RB's are out producing McCoy's production from last season. At this point last season (after 8 games):

McCoy (2014)
159 carries - 622 rushing yards (3.9 y/a)
20 receptions - 94 yards (4.7 y/c)

Murray/Mathews
173 carries - 799 rushing yards (4.6 y/a)
41 receptions - 307 yards (7.5 y/c)

The problem with comparing current production is that there are far too many variables. The coaches philosophy when it comes to play calling, the offensive line, the talent of the other skill position players, etc makes a valid comparison near impossible. With regards to McCoy's injuries this season, who is to say that McCoy would have gotten hurt if he were still with the Eagles?

I put a lot more validity into the approach you provided with your numbers above. SO M&M have 14 more carries and 177 more yards compare to McCoy through 8 games. Not much of a difference when you consider you are talking about 2 players vs 1. Still an upgrade as I noted but this deal is really going to depend on Alonso's production.
Phits
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Nov 9 2015, 06:35 PM) *
SO M&M have 14 more carries and 177 more yards compare to McCoy through 8 games. Not much of a difference when you consider you are talking about 2 players vs 1. Still an upgrade as I noted but this deal is really going to depend on Alonso's production.

You're neglecting the receiving yards, which are more than triple (94 v 307). That's 390 additional total yards. Even without Kiko's defensive contribution there's a significant improvement in offensive total yards for our backfield.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 10 2015, 12:55 AM) *
You're neglecting the receiving yards, which are more than triple (94 v 307). That's 390 additional total yards. Even without Kiko's defensive contribution there's a significant improvement in offensive total yards for our backfield.

I acknowledged the difference in receiving yards up thread.

While adding the receiving yards makes the disparity greater you are still talking about 2 backs vs 1. Add either Polk or Sproles, whoever had the 2nd most touches from last season, if you want to compare offensive total yards for our backfield. My guess is that M&M still come out ahead but not by much.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Nov 9 2015, 06:35 PM) *
The problem with comparing current production is that there are far too many variables. The coaches philosophy when it comes to play calling, the offensive line, the talent of the other skill position players, etc makes a valid comparison near impossible. With regards to McCoy's injuries this season, who is to say that McCoy would have gotten hurt if he were still with the Eagles?

I put a lot more validity into the approach you provided with your numbers above. SO M&M have 14 more carries and 177 more yards compare to McCoy through 8 games. Not much of a difference when you consider you are talking about 2 players vs 1. Still an upgrade as I noted but this deal is really going to depend on Alonso's production.

It's not really about two players compared to one, it is about carries and catches in total. Everyone worried about all the work Murray got last year, but if you look at the last two years Shady has a ton of mileage and his injuries are likely a result of that. Overall, it is just better to have two good backs to split the load than one workhorse, and after last night Mathews/Murray is starting to look like a good pairing.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Nov 10 2015, 01:42 AM) *
It's not really about two players compared to one, it is about carries and catches in total. Everyone worried about all the work Murray got last year, but if you look at the last two years Shady has a ton of mileage and his injuries are likely a result of that. Overall, it is just better to have two good backs to split the load than one workhorse, and after last night Mathews/Murray is starting to look like a good pairing.

Last year, as you said, McCoy was more of a workhorse than Murray or Mathews are this year so it is difficult to evaluate the backfield without making a 2 RB to 1 RB comparison.

I like the idea of spreading the load among two backs. It provides insurance in case of injury and could lead to a significant increase in production. That has not happened yet and I am grading what has already happened, not potential.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Nov 9 2015, 02:55 PM) *
I understood the QB move and supported it for the reasons you stated. But, as you said, Bradford is no worse than Foles at this point. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Couple that with the loss of the second round pick and Chip came up short. I agree the potential is there for this move to pan out but this is a mid season evaluation and I am not considering potential.

One knows what McCoy would be doing if he were still an Eagle. Right now M&M are on pace to have 34 more carries combined than McCoy had last season and about .4 more yards per attempt. Negligible difference there. They do have better receiving numbers which is why they get the slightly positive grade. If Alonso pans out, this grade will go up at the end of the season.

I am surprised to see the line is ranked 10. I would not have guessed that. With that in mind, I am raising the grade from an F to a D. The line was ranked 2nd overall last year so Chips off season moves dropped them 8 in the rankings.

You don't get a pass on grading Chip as a GM. You cannot wait until the end of the season to give a mid season grade.

I do not give Bradford a ringing endorsement but I think you may have missed my point or I was not clear enough.....Foles was a known commodity...Bradford is not. Foles was at his ceiling and the gamble was to bring in Bradford because his ceiling could be much higher. As for the 2nd round pick...look at it as Bradford is that pick....

As far as McCoy goes? You have to look at what the player is doing this year.....and what McCoy is doing is getting hurt...again. This line would have gotten McCoy killed early and M&M are good for the bruising running in tight lanes they provide. McCoy is not that kind of runner. Now on to the math.....M&M have to share 1 football....and you don't like Chip the GM even though he brought in 2 guys for the price of 1 that out produces the 1 guy and now you are covered for injury.....I don't see how you don't acknowledge that. You also left out McCoy's 1 TD rusjing and 1 receiving in the first 8 games last year vs. M&M's 8/2 this year. And that is with the line you point out was so good last year blocking for McCoy vs. the line you critique (rightly so) this year.

Now as far as the GM goes? Draft classes take years to evaluate and sometimes FAs do as well. That being said I give him a B so far. and here is why:
1. The Bradford gamble was worthwhile......Foles was not going to get any better so rolling the dice was acceptable and the gamble was not trading Foles, it was drafting Bradford with a 2nd round pick because that what the move was akin to. It is too soon to tell if Kelly gamble correctly...right now it is not looking that he did....but there are 8 games to go.
2. Obviously Hicks is a steal......Algohar needs to stay healthy and the 3 DBs need time to mature but if 2 of the 3 work out it was a good draft.
3. M&M are looking better and better every day...it is apparent that Murray was actually bothered by his hammy early on...he is running much better now. Hard to argue that their RB situation is much better than last year and for the same money. Having 2 RBs for the price of one is brilliant in this era..that they outproduce the single back in the same offense speaks volumes
4. if Alonzo works out it is a bonanza.....if not it is no big deal......he was a throw in for a deal that cut salary
5. Thurmond...drop the mike.....
6. Resigning Graham over Cole.....Graham gets better each week....Cole lost his starting spot and is still looking for his first sack
7. His only real flaw was his failure to sign any OL.....I am not so hard on him for cutting ties with Mathis or Herremans I have to acknowledge his lack of a backup plan...or depth....
8. Maxwell was a necessary evil and he would have been killed if he did not sign him....

Did I miss anything?

That is it......a B...
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 10 2015, 02:17 AM) *
I do not give Bradford a ringing endorsement but I think you may have missed my point or I was not clear enough.....Foles was a known commodity...Bradford is not. Foles was at his ceiling and the gamble was to bring in Bradford because his ceiling could be much higher. As for the 2nd round pick...look at it as Bradford is that pick....

For the second time, I get why Chip made the move and agreed with it at the time. Let's stop going over this single point.
Foles was a known commodity and through the first 8 games of this season, Bradford has given us nothing that Foles could not of. Since this is an evaluation of what has happened so far this season everything else is immaterial.
I cannot look at the 2nd round pick as Bradford because that simply is not the case. Bradford cost the Eagles Foles plus the 2nd.

As far as McCoy goes? You have to look at what the player is doing this year.....and what McCoy is doing is getting hurt...again. This line would have gotten McCoy killed early and M&M are good for the bruising running in tight lanes they provide. McCoy is not that kind of runner. Now on to the math.....M&M have to share 1 football....and you don't like Chip the GM even though he brought in 2 guys for the price of 1 that out produces the 1 guy and now you are covered for injury.....I don't see how you don't acknowledge that. You also left out McCoy's 1 TD rusjing and 1 receiving in the first 8 games last year vs. M&M's 8/2 this year. And that is with the line you point out was so good last year blocking for McCoy vs. the line you critique (rightly so) this year.

As I stated above there are too many variables to use a departed player's current performance to evaluate the current player's performance. Nobody can say if McCoy would have gotten hurt if he were still an Eagle. To state that as a fact is pure conjecture.
I stated in my initial post as well as in my reply to Birdwatcher that I like having two backs instead of one. Stating that 2 guys out produce 1 guy is not really supporting your argument. I would hope so. The real question is whether or not this year's backfield out produces last year's. So far there is not much difference.
The TD difference is a good point but without going back and looking at down, distance and situation, it is difficult to call. I know I am not going to go back and look at the 10 TDs this year compared to the 2 from last year. If you want to take on that chore, knock yourself out.

Now as far as the GM goes? Draft classes take years to evaluate and sometimes FAs do as well. That being said I give him a B so far. and here is why:

While true, I stated specifically that I was evaluating the moves to date so what happens down the road is immaterial to today's grades.

1. The Bradford gamble was worthwhile......Foles was not going to get any better so rolling the dice was acceptable and the gamble was not trading Foles, it was drafting Bradford with a 2nd round pick because that what the move was akin to. It is too soon to tell if Kelly gamble correctly...right now it is not looking that he did....but there are 8 games to go.

I think we covered this enough.

2. Obviously Hicks is a steal......Algohar needs to stay healthy and the 3 DBs need time to mature but if 2 of the 3 work out it was a good draft.

I already gave Chip an A for the Hicks pick. The rest of the draft class is an incomplete to this point. "Ifs" get you no points at this time.

3. M&M are looking better and better every day...it is apparent that Murray was actually bothered by his hammy early on...he is running much better now. Hard to argue that their RB situation is much better than last year and for the same money. Having 2 RBs for the price of one is brilliant in this era..that they outproduce the single back in the same offense speaks volumes

I already stated that they are getting better. Not sure why we are coming back to this again. Hopefully they continue to improve then there will be no argument. I do have to point out again that 2 RBs, getting more touches than a single RB had better out produce the single back. Not doing so is what would speak volumes.

4. if Alonzo works out it is a bonanza.....if not it is no big deal......he was a throw in for a deal that cut salary

There is that "if" again. I do not agree with the "throw in" comment though. I think Chip, to his credit, wanted Alonso. Hopefully it pans out.

Agreed. I gave Chip a high grade for this move

6. Resigning Graham over Cole.....Graham gets better each week....Cole lost his starting spot and is still looking for his first sack

Agreed and gave chip props for releasing Cole.

7. His only real flaw was his failure to sign any OL.....I am not so hard on him for cutting ties with Mathis or Herremans I have to acknowledge his lack of a backup plan...or depth....

I disagree with "his only real flaw" for the reasons stated above but I do agree that he did not properly plan for the departure of Mathis and Herremans.

8. Maxwell was a necessary evil and he would have been killed if he did not sign him....

Chip would have definitely been criticized for not trying to upgrade the CB position but that has no bearing on the grade he receives for the action he took.

Did I miss anything?

You already mentioned his mishandling of the WR position above.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Nov 9 2015, 10:12 PM) *
For the second time, I get why Chip made the move and agreed with it at the time. Let's stop going over this single point.
Foles was a known commodity and through the first 8 games of this season, Bradford has given us nothing that Foles could not of. Since this is an evaluation of what has happened so far this season everything else is immaterial.
I cannot look at the 2nd round pick as Bradford because that simply is not the case. Bradford cost the Eagles Foles plus the 2nd.

WWhere we disagree is that Foles was going to be gone regardless at some point so he is irrelevant.....he was not Chip's guy and his contract was going to be up.....the 2nd round pick is the only thing that mattered.

As I stated above there are too many variables to use a departed player's current performance to evaluate the current player's performance. Nobody can say if McCoy would have gotten hurt if he were still an Eagle. To state that as a fact is pure conjecture.
I stated in my initial post as well as in my reply to Birdwatcher that I like having two backs instead of one. Stating that 2 guys out produce 1 guy is not really supporting your argument. I would hope so. The real question is whether or not this year's backfield out produces last year's. So far there is not much difference.
The TD difference is a good point but without going back and looking at down, distance and situation, it is difficult to call. I know I am not going to go back and look at the 10 TDs this year compared to the 2 from last year. If you want to take on that chore, knock yourself out.

By your measure there is no way to compare them at all.....if you compare the production from last year the have outperformed him with a lesser line but you don't want to look at that.....they have grossly outperformed him this year but you don't want to look at that either....what measure would you like to look at? 10 TDs vs. 2 means that down and distance do not matter.....it is not 6-4 or 7-5....it is 10 to 2.....that is a big deal...
There is a big difference no matter what metric you want to use.(and that is after a horrifically poor start this year)
McCoys only rushing TD was 1 yard run.....short yardage was McCoy's weakness.....and Murray and Matthews strength.
That being said...both have the short TD dives and both have run it in from 5-10 yds out.(easy to look up )
One question I have is you state that you would hope 2 guys out perform 1? Why? The Eagles had Chris Polk last year....they chose not to use him....it speaks to Kelly the GM that he signed 2 quality backs to spread the wealth rather then use the traditional model of one back getting all the carries.)like the Eagles and the Cowboys et al last year)

You already mentioned his mishandling of the WR position above.

Phits
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Nov 9 2015, 09:12 PM) *

Maybe this will help with your angst regarding losing Foles and the 2nd round pick:

And for all the complaining about the lack of a second round pick, keep in mind the Eagles do have a very high 2016 third round pick if the Lions continue to lose. And were the Eagles really going to use that second round pick to find their franchise quarterback answer anyway? It's not impossible, but it's probably not very likely..........

..............Bradford being bad doesn't mean Chip Kelly was wrong to get rid of Foles. It just means that the "upgrade" Kelly envisioned was the wrong pick so far.

or this

QBs with 1,310 yards or less thru 8 starts since 2000: Rick Mirer, V. Young, B. Quinn, A. Brooks, Q. Carter, Doug Pederson, and Nick Foles.

Link
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 10 2015, 02:17 AM) *

Did I miss anything?

That is it......a B...

SPOT ON. On all points, I'm 100% in agreement.
D Rock
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Nov 10 2015, 03:12 AM) *

Yes you did state it before. You're still not correct, though...
D Rock
Another not touched on topic related to Chip the GM...

Brandon Boykin has played a grand total of 22 defensive snaps all season for a BAD steelers D.

just sayin...
Zero
QUOTE (D Rock @ Nov 10 2015, 03:04 PM) *
Another not touched on topic related to Chip the GM...

Brandon Boykin has played a grand total of 22 defensive snaps all season for a BAD steelers D.

just sayin...

I keep reading opinions from somewhat objective and reliable sources that caution that the amount of changes like were made to the Eagles roster need time to settle. I realize Chip said it, but others are saying it too. It's easy and understandable for us to be impatient because we're fans. The players need time to get to know how the guy next to him is going to react in a given situation. That the play seems to be improving gives some validity to that argument.
nephillymike
My grades:

A = Excellent
B = Very Good
C = Average
D = Below Average
F = Poor

Defense:

Cox A+ Our best player
Logan A- Great job.
Thorton B-. Steady. Needs to improve vs run
Barwin C+. He hasn't made a play all year, but hasn't blown one either. He'll come around.
Graham C+. Great game vs. DAL improved his grade.
The Kid A. I'm going to miss him. Great instincts. Pick Six a thing of beauty
Ryans B-. Real slow start, came on strong, then hobbled
Alonzo - C+. For his end zone INT. Otherwise has taken wrong angles and not been an impact player
Kendricks B-. Makes plays here and there. sometimes chooses wrong gap
Maxwell D. - ignoring his paycheck he gets a D. They pick on him and we had two others guarding Dez most of night.
Carroll B. - nice solid player. Like him. Shame they didn't put him in for Chim Chim and Spritle last year.
Jenkins - B-. Some lapses, ignoring last week, that cost us. Dropped a few INT's. Not a fan of the bow tie, like the player
Thurmond - B+. Nice pick up. Always around the ball and will tackle and is versatile.
Biggars - B-. He's played well when called upon.
Maragos -D+.Plays in the next time zone. Only play he made all year was last game when he took 3 of our guys out on TD
Rowe - F. If you can't get a D+ off the field, you're an F. He's young, he can improve.
Curry - C+. Expected more.

Offense

Bradford - F , but moving up on the charts. 28th in passer Rating and YPA, 19th in YPG, 32nd in yards in air/attempt, 3rd best protected QB in the league, with 10th highest rushing YPG, and 13th most efficient running game in YPA. WR's have let him down too often. Not his fault GM didn't sign Maclin. Never makes the effort to run and keep defense honest despite having above average QB speed. He deserves another game based on a very good gutsy game vs. DAL. He still has a shot to put something together if he mans up.

Murray - D. 24th in ypg, 39th in ypa, averages 3.68 ypc when our other RB's average 5.35 with same cast. He's playing better, and some of the early rough start was OL fault. Good character, he may come around.

J. Matthews - C -. 33rd in rec yards , 84th in yds/catch and his many drops make him drop further by comparison. True, his QB sets him up for woo licks, but he has let his QB down with a set of bad hands. If he wasn't such an effort guy, he would grade out lower.

Cooper - F. Child please.

Ertz - C. 15th in REC yds for TE's. No TD's, 88th in rec yds per game. I thought he would be better than LJ Smith. He needs to play better. Tape watchers don't give him good reviews FWIW.

Peters - B. Had some struggles. Not at PB level. Still the best run blocker

Barbre - C. Has come on. The less you hear an OL name called the better.

Kelce - D. Had a nice game the last two but he was horrible until then. Too much talking for my tastes.

Kelly/Tobin - C- Played decent for backups. Kelly graded out well last week.

Johnson - A-. He's been a rock all year. Filled in nicely for JP and has had to cover more with the players to his left.

Huff - F. He's a mess

Austin - D. - with this WR corps, a DECENT backup would get more action.

Algholar - F. He's young and I think he'll start producing these next few games but at the mid term, he's made a ton of mistakes, a few drops and not much else.

Celek - C +. A solid average to slightly above average player who has come back from horrendous early season blocking.

R. Mathews - A-. In the running game has been all of that. Downgrade b/c of hands of stone.

Sproles - B - . Nice TD return. Three drops really hurt big gains. Punting away from him gets us hidden yards on ST's

ST's

Jones - A . - solid as they come.

Caleb - C+. After shaky start he's coming around.

Chip the GM - D. Started with draft picks and 3rd most cap room. Gone - Maclin, Mathis, McCoy, Herremans, Cole, Boykin, Foles, Fletch, Sconces Here - Murray, Mathews, Maxwell, Thurmond, Alonzo, Bradford. Given the cap assets we had, a disappointing net haul. Draft picks Algholar, Rowe, Hicks, Evans, Shepard, Mihalik. So far Hicks is all. Last year's Smith, Huff, Watkins, Reynolds busted, Mathews OK, Allen decent late round value, Hart TBD. HIS team this year is not as good as the team of the last two years.

Chip the Coach C+. He still gets guys open on offense, despite the lack of talent and QB and WR. He gets an upgrade for the defense. I can't go much higher when he doesn't get the best guys on the field. Was disappointed in the post bye week adjustments in 1st half of DAL. I expected more.

Chip the PR guy - D. Dude better win. His likeability has taken a hit. It's amusing to hear him scoff at suggestions about changes that maybe should be made. Then he goes out and makes some of those changes, then he acts as though there really weren't any changes. It's execution = it's not my fault, it's the players fault. He did change his tune two days later when someone had a talking to him.

Billy Davis - B+. I like him mixing coverages more this year.

Team overall = C-. 4-4 is average. 4-4 with a weak schedule coming off two 10-6's is a notch below.

Interestingly enough, the Eagles are the favorites to win the East. A 9-7 that includes a win at NYG should get us in. One that does not, probably won't. May need to get to 10-6 to afford a loss at NYG. At this point after all we've been through, meaningful late December football with a decent shot at the post season is all we can hope for. There will be interesting times ahead.

A chip (no pun intended) and a chair. That's all you need to sit at the Poker table of the NFL playoffs.
Zero
If you were my teacher I'd transfer. Kids coming out of the hospital for lengthy stays, trying to catch up and they get low or failing grades ... boo! At least give them an incomplete and wait until finals when they've had a chance to catch up.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 15 2015, 07:42 AM) *
If you were my teacher I'd transfer. Kids coming out of the hospital for lengthy stays, trying to catch up and they get low or failing grades ... boo! At least give them an incomplete and wait until finals when they've had a chance to catch up.

Ha ha.

You have to look at the definitions of what the grading scale means. If you do, you won't be like the kid who took Calculus looking to bail when the going gets tough!!

C is average. D is below average.

I think even our most rose colored glasses guy like yourself would find it difficult to give this team overall a grade of very good so far. Maybe average, or average + or average- overall. That being the case, NEPM, ball breaking teacher, give the following:

6 A's
9 B's
10 C's
4 D's
5 F's

So on an average team, 15 got above an average grade, 9 got below it. Not a stretch, all things considered.

BTW, if you want to drop my class, you need to do so by Monday. I hear there are some seat left in Basketweaving 101.

blah.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.