Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a "Disaster"
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
xsv
Sam Bradford has been a disaster. He has been even worse than when he was in St. Louis. Like when he was on the Rams, he simply doesn't throw deep. His league worst 2.79 air yards per attempt isn't just last, it's so far from next to last that the difference between Bradford and the next guy, Nick Foles, would move Foles from 32nd out of 33 to 24th. In intermediate and short passes, he's been horrible. His decision making has been poor, his arm has been weak, he rarely puts together good back to back drives, and the offense has slowed down under him. Virtually every praise of Bradford when the Eagles acquired him, from his accuracy, to his intelligence, to his lack of turnovers, to his comfort with a high paced offense.... none of them have been realized. He is one of the worst quarterbacks in the NFL.

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/11...y-byron-maxwell
mcnabbulous
It's hard to argue. Our receivers haven't helped him out, but there is no measure by which you could say that he has performed well.
xsv
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 5 2015, 12:44 PM) *
It's hard to argue. Our receivers haven't helped him out, but there is no measure by which you could say that he has performed well.

Well, he hasn't gotten hurt. So there's one.
Dreagon
Damn, to listen to this guy one would think you guys were in last place instead of effectively tied for first (Giants still have their bye ahead). Sure, it hasn't been pretty, but this year it seems like Patriot fans are the only ones seeing pretty. Even the unbeaten Broncos and Panthers have looked rough.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Nov 5 2015, 07:48 PM) *
Damn, to listen to this guy one would think you guys were in last place instead of effectively tied for first (Giants still have their bye ahead). Sure, it hasn't been pretty, but this year it seems like Patriot fans are the only ones seeing pretty. Even the unbeaten Broncos and Panthers have looked rough.

There's more idiots on this board than any other in ANY sport. Whinny, crying little bitches who actually take solace in their team losing.

Heaven forbid they beat Dallas Sunday night because this board would be a ghost town...
Phits
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Nov 5 2015, 09:02 PM) *
There's more idiots on this board than any other in ANY sport. Whinny, crying little bitches who actually take solace in their team losing.

Heaven forbid they beat Dallas Sunday night because this board would be a ghost town...

Are you sure you have the right board?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Nov 5 2015, 07:02 PM) *

Seriously dude, you're wearing out your welcome. Fuck off, to be honest.

You're far less rational about Bradford's performance than any member of this board that has been criticizing him. He's been downright bad. I've tried to offer a reasonable analysis of his play, but he's been making it hard to do so.

I've only had limited interactions with Oklahoma fans, but you're living up to every negative opinion I have of the them.
Reality Fan
Who the fuck is Dave Mangels?

The idiot uses the same logic that led to the gamble of signing Bradford as the reason they might extend him but does not even mention that reason for signing him...

Who was the guy they should have gone out and gotten? It was a gamble and there are 9 games left to see if that gamble pays off....it is idiots like this guy that annoy me about following pro football......suddenly everyone is a quotable expert because their buddies started a team website.....we should change the format here and we all post articles....we can all be experts...

The offense as a whole has not played well....but...the line is currently ranked 10th overall by PFF so that is improving.....as bad as Bradfords numbers are in certain categories if the ridiculous number of drops were just cut in half he is suddenly a middle of the pack QB or better stat wise and that is after coming to a new offense after sitting out for 2 years...

He needs to get better but it is still a gamble that was worth taking...Foles is just ahead of him in some areas and well behind him in others and he did not miss 2 years....

and if the gamble loses? So what...we are no worse off....we still need to look for a QB......

nephillymike
Get a fucking clue Mrs Bradford !!

Your husband has SUCKED so far and you coming on with your blind praise is getting real old.

Now hopefully he can reach the lofty (by comparison) standards of Sanchez last year and we win impressively on Sunday.

Nothing like a FNG telling us how it will be a ghost town with a win.

I heard this tidbit on the round table 97.5 discussion.

Not only is the YPA really bad, but it is really bad even though he has the third best protection of any QB in the NFL.

Your boy, who should be our boy if he had played like an NFL QB, needs to get it together and he won't have the luxury of a lot of time on Sunday and Kelly is in Peters is out and Sam needs to get a pair.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 6 2015, 12:43 AM) *
Get a fucking clue Mrs Bradford !!

Your husband has SUCKED so far and you coming on with your blind praise is getting real old.

Now hopefully he can reach the lofty (by comparison) standards of Sanchez last year and we win impressively on Sunday.

Nothing like a FNG telling us how it will be a ghost town with a win.

I heard this tidbit on the round table 97.5 discussion.

Not only is the YPA really bad, but it is really bad even though he has the third best protection of any QB in the NFL.

Your boy, who should be our boy if he had played like an NFL QB, needs to get it together and he won't have the luxury of a lot of time on Sunday and Kelly is in Peters is out and Sam needs to get a pair.

Kelly will be on the right side and Johnson will replace Peters...might actually be an improvement on the left....Peters has been hampered since the first week...
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 5 2015, 11:49 PM) *
Kelly will be on the right side and Johnson will replace Peters...might actually be an improvement on the left....Peters has been hampered since the first week...

And unfortunately Hardy will move to Kelly's side.

At least Sam will see him coming.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 6 2015, 12:51 AM) *

Look on the bright side....Bradford could be playing as bad as Andrew Luck.......
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 6 2015, 12:51 AM) *

Actually...one of the things that I don't like about Bradford is his pre snap inability to read the blitz...

all the other bs in the article....His arm...it is a cannon....

his accuracy? He can be pinpoint with his passes....it is his consistency that drives us nuts....

maybe he needs to see a sports shrink to hypnotize him
nd9kel
Or Colin Kaepernik.

Or Marcus Mariota.
nd9kel
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 5 2015, 11:05 PM) *
Look on the bright side....Bradford could be playing as bad as Andrew Luck.......

Or Colin Kaepernik.

Or Marcus Mariota.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 6 2015, 01:08 AM) *
Actually...one of the things that I don't like about Bradford is his pre snap inability to read the blitz...

his accuracy? He can be pinpoint with his passes....it is his consistency that drives us nuts....

I thought it said that Eagle QB's aren't permitted to change anything with the play?

That said, I remember the Jets game where he sees the blitz coming from his left, takes a low snap but escapes to his right and hits Sproles in stride down the right sideline running away from Harris...but he dropped the ball.

I mean NOT seeing the blitz usually ends in sacks, which haven't really been a major issue.
xsv
Where does Bradford rank on pff?

It was a gamble with taking. But by my count, he's got about 3 quarters left to get his shit together.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 5 2015, 11:41 PM) *
Who the fuck is Dave Mangels?

The idiot uses the same logic that led to the gamble of signing Bradford as the reason they might extend him but does not even mention that reason for signing him...

Who was the guy they should have gone out and gotten? It was a gamble and there are 9 games left to see if that gamble pays off....it is idiots like this guy that annoy me about following pro football......suddenly everyone is a quotable expert because their buddies started a team website.....we should change the format here and we all post articles....we can all be experts...

The offense as a whole has not played well....but...the line is currently ranked 10th overall by PFF so that is improving.....as bad as Bradfords numbers are in certain categories if the ridiculous number of drops were just cut in half he is suddenly a middle of the pack QB or better stat wise and that is after coming to a new offense after sitting out for 2 years...

He needs to get better but it is still a gamble that was worth taking...Foles is just ahead of him in some areas and well behind him in others and he did not miss 2 years....

and if the gamble loses? So what...we are no worse off....we still need to look for a QB......

xsv
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 6 2015, 12:08 AM) *

Whats bs about his having one of the lowest yards per attempt in the history of the game?
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 6 2015, 12:49 AM) *
Peters has been hampered since last year. He is officially over the top and the hill and heading down the other side.
xsv
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Nov 5 2015, 08:02 PM) *

It's amazing that anyone could actually be this clueless, and blind to the world. I feel sorry for you, bud.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 5 2015, 11:08 PM) *

So could Donovan. That's not a sign of accuracy.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 6 2015, 08:44 AM) *
So could Donovan. That's not a sign of accuracy.

and if the drops from this team suddenly dropped to middle of the pack for the league he is a 68% passer To compare his accuracy to McNabb, who I loved, is silly. He has repeatedly shown touch and accuracy....most drops have come on perfectly placed balls....when he has been inaccurate it has been to float balls...an indication he is not confident...
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 6 2015, 08:55 AM) *
and if the drops from this team suddenly dropped to middle of the pack for the league he is a 68% passer To compare his accuracy to McNabb, who I loved, is silly. He has repeatedly shown touch and accuracy....most drops have come on perfectly placed balls....when he has been inaccurate it has been to float balls...an indication he is not confident...

Considering his YPA, his completion % is still not very impressive. He's been especially dreadful going down the field.

Look, I'm trying to have a balanced approach to my evaluation of this guy. It's been 7 games, he's coming off a knee injury, new system/teammates...

But he's been bad. Suggesting anything else is simply reaching. I think he can turn it around, but he needs to start showing that or he's not going to have the opportunity beyond this year.
xsv
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 6 2015, 09:55 AM) *
and if the drops from this team suddenly dropped to middle of the pack for the league he is a 68% passer

Yep, a 68% passer with a historically low 2.8 yards per attempt.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 6 2015, 12:46 PM) *
Yep, a 68% passer with a historically low 2.8 yards per attempt.

See...this is what drives me nuts...first you take a ridiculous stat and failing to analyze the reason you run with it....

What is Kelly's offense? Is it a throw down the field offense? no...it is a ball control offense filled with WR screens, RB screens and short passes...guess what that yields?

I get Bradford has not been great or even good and needs to improve greatly but stop the insanity.
xsv
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 6 2015, 02:07 PM) *
See...this is what drives me nuts...first you take a ridiculous stat and failing to analyze the reason you run with it....

What is Kelly's offense? Is it a throw down the field offense? no...it is a ball control offense filled with WR screens, RB screens and short passes...guess what that yields?

I get Bradford has not been great or even good and needs to improve greatly but stop the insanity.

This isn't a ridiculous stat. It's a terrific indicator of just how lousy Bradford is playing. This is one of the lowest in the air yards per attempt in NFL history. This pass per attempt is minuscule compared to any competent qb in any ball control short yardage passing offense. And it's not like any of his other stats are any good either.
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 6 2015, 03:07 PM) *

Based on the performance of Foles and Sanchez last season it should yield 7.0 - 7.8 y/a.

With that said, I'm not sure where the 2.8 y/a comes from. His stats say he is performing at his career average 6.4 y/a
xsv
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 6 2015, 04:20 PM) *
Based on the performance of Foles and Sanchez last season it should yield 7.0 - 7.8 y/a.

With that said, I'm not sure where the 2.8 y/a comes from. His stats say he is performing at his career average 6.4 y/a

His average attempt is 2.8 yards in the air.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Nov 6 2015, 03:20 PM) *

It's air yards per attempt. Meaning how far did it travel before reaching the receiver. It's a legit concern. Obviously not throwing it far would help him maintain a quality completion %.
Joegrane
Would Peters' health likely fare better if he were moved to guard next year?

Recall that Herremans moved from RT to RG.

QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Nov 6 2015, 07:31 AM) *
Peters has been hampered since last year. He is officially over the top and the hill and heading down the other side.

xsv
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 6 2015, 08:56 PM) *
Would Peters' health likely fare better if he were moved to guard next year?

Recall that Herremans moved from RT to RG.

Good question. Not something I've thought of before.

I will say that he's getting close to a Hall of Fame type career. If he's not there already, moving to guard and squeezing another year or two out would almost certainly put him over the top. I bet he'd be pretty dominant there for awhile, too.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 6 2015, 05:36 PM) *
His average attempt is 2.8 yards in the air.

It is another geek stat......and one that is weighted by ball control offenses....see Alex Smith....
JeeQ
They've had two weeks to practice together now... No excuses come Sunday for the QB or the WRs
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 6 2015, 10:27 AM) *
Considering his YPA, his completion % is still not very impressive. He's been especially dreadful going down the field.

Look, I'm trying to have a balanced approach to my evaluation of this guy. It's been 7 games, he's coming off a knee injury, new system/teammates...

But he's been bad. Suggesting anything else is simply reaching. I think he can turn it around, but he needs to start showing that or he's not going to have the opportunity beyond this year.

Thank You!
nephillymike
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 6 2015, 06:42 AM) *
Where does Bradford rank on pff?

It was a gamble with taking. But by my count, he's got about 3 quarters left to get his shit together.

He's got one half.

That's it.

this is game 8. If he isn't doing well, pull the plug, bring in Sanchez, try to win the game and bench him the rest of the way and recoup the 4th round pick (or is it a 3rd).

Enough already.

The guy had a fucking 78 passer rating coming in to this year and has managed to do WORSE in this QB friendly offense.

I will be on top of the world if he breaks out in this game against a team I despise.

That being said, he get a half.

Tick tock Sam. Get it done.

I am not sacrificing playoff potential to shelter this guy or Chip's ego.

We have a very good D. If Sam comes up small, we have a guy we can win with in this offense with this D.

Eyrie
I have no interest in sneaking into the playoffs as the 8-8 winners of a mediocre division only to then be one and done with a worse draft position. Does anyone genuinely believe that we could win the SuperBowl this season?

If Bradford plays well and leads us to 10-6 then there is something to build on for next year. If he starts poorly tomorrow, then it's time to look at the bigger picture which is that Bradford has had a fair opportunity and been found wanting, so it is time to look ahead and ensure that we get that compensatory pick from the Rams and have a decent draft position. Play Sanchez for the rest of the season and we can also see if the failings at receiver continue or if there is some improvement there.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 6 2015, 10:14 PM) *
It is another geek stat......and one that is weighted by ball control offenses....see Alex Smith....

Using another mediocre team and above average QB better makes the author's point than yours.

What kind of macho, non-geek stats should we use to evaluate Bradford?
xsv
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Nov 6 2015, 11:14 PM) *

Alex Smith has a much higher in the air ypa. So does Sanchez from last year in the same offense.

You don't seem to understand. When I say "historically low", I mean one of the lowest ever in NFL history.
Zero
QUOTE (xsv @ Nov 7 2015, 10:18 AM) *
Alex Smith has a much higher in the air ypa. So does Sanchez from last year in the same offense.

You don't seem to understand. When I say "historically low", I mean one of the lowest ever in NFL history.

None of this would matter a bit if the offense is productive and the team is winning. I don't care if there are deep passes or no passes if the team is winning and the offense is moving.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 7 2015, 09:39 AM) *
None of this would matter a bit if the offense is productive and the team is winning. I don't care if there are deep passes or no passes if the team is winning and the offense is moving.

Agreed. But they aren't, which is why it's a relevant concern. It's possible they are related.
nephillymike
I saw something last night on Quick slants that shocked me.

With the exception of his game vs. Wash where he put up a 122 passer rating,

not one of his other six games was his passer rating up to the lofty standards of Sanchez' 2014 season average(warts and all) of 89.

This is despite being the 3rd best protected QB in the league.

He's got one half.

One.

I hope to God he pulls off a great game, but my patience is shot. Another clunker of a half and he's done.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 7 2015, 12:56 PM) *
I hope to God he pulls off a great game, but my patience is shot. Another clunker of a half and he's done.

Don't misinterpret this as disagreement, but if he's done and they replace him with Sanchez, what do you do for 2016 ... or does that depend on Sanchez?
Eyrie
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 7 2015, 06:01 PM) *
Don't misinterpret this as disagreement, but if he's done and they replace him with Sanchez, what do you do for 2016 ... or does that depend on Sanchez?

Sanchez isn't the long term answer at QB, and even if he plays the rest of 2015 at an All-Pro level I wouldn't view him in that light any more than I do Bradford.

We'd need to try another trade or a draft pick to find our franchise QB, just as we did last off season.
xsv
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 7 2015, 01:01 PM) *

Draft a rookie and sign a journeyman vertern free agent. Sanchez keeps us near or in the playoffs, and gets his last shot at starting until we can groom a new kid.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 7 2015, 01:01 PM) *

Depends on Sanchez.

Judge him on how he does from here on out. He could actually compete for the spot in games and see how he does.

Most likely he won't be the long term franchise solution, but maybe he'll surprise.

He's had all of the excuses that we've made for Bradford for his career so maybe he improves enough where he is a top two tier type QB. Odds are against it, but let it play out.

I am not willing to throw away this season.

Unless Bradford improves significantly, we are throwing away the season using him.

If we have to find someone long term if Sanchez isn't the guy? Patchwork with a veteran like Sanchez while we Keep on drafting QB's in the draft (not necessarily 1st round) until we get lucky.

Like I said before, playing to Sanchez last year's #'s is a significant improvment for Bradford, both over his career and over this year. With this D, it's possible that is good enough. Factor in slight improvment by Sanchez with 2nd year in system, a full year after shoulder surgery, and maybe it's good enough to get us to the NFFCG and from there we have a shot.
Joegrane
If Sanchez had looked as good or better in the preseason as he did last year, I'd see your point.

Bradford has looked a little better recently. I don't expect him to look good against the Dallas D, especially after the loss of Peters and after their performance last week against Seattle. Wilson had a QB rating of 81 against them.

Chip sees Sanchez in practice every week we don't. He also has a better feel about the players' perception of Bradford vs Sanchez.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Nov 7 2015, 05:55 AM) *
If he starts poorly tomorrow, then it's time to look at the bigger picture which is that Bradford has had a fair opportunity and been found wanting, so it is time to look ahead and ensure that we get that compensatory pick from the Rams and have a decent draft position. Play Sanchez for the rest of the season and we can also see if the failings at receiver continue or if there is some improvement there.

nephillymike
FWIW

I heard a point today on the radio, don;t remember if it was Mosher or Didinger saying that every day the WR's stay after practice to work on things and Bradford has never stayed out with them. In the locker room, he keeps to himself and is always looking at his smart phone.

Not the most important thing, but it would be nice if a QB who has struggled mightily is out there putting in extra time with his WR's.
JeeQ
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 7 2015, 06:49 PM) *
FWIW

I heard a point today on the radio, don;t remember if it was Mosher or Didinger saying that every day the WR's stay after practice to work on things and Bradford has never stayed out with them. In the locker room, he keeps to himself and is always looking at his smart phone.

Not the most important thing, but it would be nice if a QB who has struggled mightily is out there putting in extra time with his WR's.

He's never been a leader... on and off the field

Haven't seen any heart from him either all season
Joegrane
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Nov 7 2015, 10:56 PM) *
He's never been a leader... on and off the field

Haven't seen any heart from him either all season

Just the second half of one game. I agree with you. I find it disturbing.

I still think Bradford will be at least an average QB when surrounded by a solid O Line and some weapons at WR.

I tend to think Foles will do at least as well with the Rams.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Nov 7 2015, 10:49 PM) *
FWIW

This sounds like Nnamdi. It's really important for the QB and his receivers to have a connection on the field. I don't like hearing this.

I still think Bradford will be at least an average QB when surrounded by a solid O Line and some weapons at WR.
This isn't what Kelly said he's looking for and makes the odds of getting the trophy much higher.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.