Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Big Nine Games
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Chip really needs to prove that he's capable of making significant adjustments during the break and course correcting for the remainder of the season. Andy's post-bye success is one of the reasons why I believe he's in the upper echelon of coaches. Identifying weaknesses and making the appropriate adjustments is something that will dictate how the remainder of this season plays out.

I expect to see a number of small wrinkles in the next couple of weeks which will result in incremental improvements to our offense. I also hope we get a heavy dose of Agholor in the second half. He's the best playmaker we have on the outside. We need to get him the ball, a lot.
Zero
Has he done this in the past? Care to share the basis of the optimism? I want something to feel good about with the offense, especially because my faith in Samsonite is waning.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 2 2015, 03:12 PM) *
Has he done this in the past? Care to share the basis of the optimism? I want something to feel good about with the offense, especially because my faith in Samsonite is waning.

Oh most definitely. He is always adding little wrinkles, just on a weekly basis. In 2013, he definitely introduced the crack back block that James Casey was doing which dramatically improved the run game after the break.

I think Sam is who he is. He is a first-read guy who likely won't ever maximize the opportunities around him. We just need to hope that Chip can put him in the best situations possible and continue to get more from our running game.

nephillymike
I really had some optimism that he would make adjustments but someone on the radio said something the other day that popped my balloon.

To me, I know you've heard it a lot, it starts with putting your best players on the field.

That is the easiest thing a coach can do.

The airwaves have had shows about what we should do and many of them said increase Mathews carries as a % of the whole.

I was figuring that we would do that starting next game.

Then someone mentions that the next game is Dallas and that there is a snowball's chance in hell that they give Mathews the lions share of the carries with Demarco going "back home".

Well, there goes that great idea. Hopefully we can squeak out a win at Dallas with our best player getting only six touches the entire game.

When you've 3-4 and your QB is bottom tier, you can't sit your best player.

However, I have no doubt that that's exactly what Chip will do.

Does anyone think otherwise?

Speed_Kills
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 2 2015, 05:40 PM) *
Oh most definitely. He is always adding little wrinkles, just on a weekly basis. In 2013, he definitely introduced the crack back block that James Casey was doing which dramatically improved the run game after the break.

I think Sam is who he is. He is a first-read guy who likely won't ever maximize the opportunities around him. We just need to hope that Chip can put him in the best situations possible and continue to get more from our running game.

A first read guy???

LOL, good God. unsure.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Nov 3 2015, 05:24 PM) *
A first read guy???

LOL, good God. unsure.gif

So does he have any flaws to his game? Any whatsoever?
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 3 2015, 07:27 PM) *
So does he have any flaws to his game? Any whatsoever?

Yes he does, like all QB's do.

I wish he was more mobile. And he certainly has not been as accurate as I have seen him.

There was a stat in 2013 showing all Qb's minus their drops and spikes (to stop the clock) and he was at 78%, 3rd or 4th high % in the league for his career.

Now he was thrust on to a new team out of nowhere, COMPLETELY different system, and just when Chip decides to get rid of all his wr's...crazy stuff to be sure.

But when you are looking for his flaws you have to remember,
not only was he the #1 overall pick in 10', he would have been in 09' had he come out, he would have gone to Detroit(several Lion FO people have spoken to this as well) instead of Stafford.

He's not a bone head who throws balls up for grabs, and he ia not the QB you've seen through 7 weeks where some passes are short, others long...he just has never been that guy.

I am interested in seeing how much his mental toughness kicks in now because he does live a sheltered life but I'm sure he has been made aware of the lynch mob growning which is why I tweeted today saying Chip is the only one handling this correctly because if it don't work out they go there own ways but, if as I suspect, the second half resembles what I think it will then Kelly will be in a much better position to re-sign him having had his back through this whole mess of first 7 games.

So we shall see starting Sunday...and I can't wait.
Phits
I hope you're right. I'd like nothing better than to see him exceed expectations.

QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Nov 3 2015, 07:55 PM) *

I wish he was more mobile. And he certainly has not been as accurate as I have seen him.

There was a stat in 2013 showing all Qb's minus their drops and spikes (to stop the clock) and he was at 78%, 3rd or 4th high % in the league for his career.

Now he was thrust on to a new team out of nowhere, COMPLETELY different system, and just when Chip decides to get rid of all his wr's...crazy stuff to be sure.

not only was he the #1 overall pick in 10', he would have been in 09' had he come out, he would have gone to Detroit(several Lion FO people have spoken to this as well) instead of Stafford.

He's not a bone head who throws balls up for grabs, and he ia not the QB you've seen through 7 weeks where some passes are short, others long...he just has never been that guy.

I am interested in seeing how much his mental toughness kicks in now because he does live a sheltered life but I'm sure he has been made aware of the lynch mob growning which is why I tweeted today saying Chip is the only one handling this correctly because if it don't work out they go there own ways but, if as I suspect, the second half resembles what I think it will then Kelly will be in a much better position to re-sign him having had his back through this whole mess of first 7 games.

nephillymike
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Nov 3 2015, 06:55 PM) *

At this point, he doesn't need to impress me. Just play up to Mark Sanchez 2014 level and with this D, I'll take my chances at getting to 9-7 and a division title. But we need to win Sunday.
Joegrane
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 2 2015, 03:45 PM) *
I expect to see a number of small wrinkles in the next couple of weeks which will result in incremental improvements to our offense. I also hope we get a heavy dose of Agholor in the second half. He's the best playmaker we have on the outside. We need to get him the ball, a lot.

The wrinkles need a QB who makes slightly better throws with these very average receivers.

At this point, he doesn't need to impress me. Just play up to Mark Sanchez 2014 level and with this D, I'll take my chances at getting to 9-7 and a division title. But we need to win Sunday. nephillymike

Well said.

The O is going to have to move the ball to give the D a breather. I suspect the D's Front half will not dominate somewhat like in the Carolina game.

How did Seattle fail to score 20 pts on Dallas's D?
mcnabbulous
I was a huge Bradford fan coming out of college, but I don't give a rat's ass if he was or would have been the #1 pick in every season the draft has existed. I care about what he can do for me today.

I don't have the luxury of watching tape after the games, but my naked eye evaluation suggests that he is struggling mightily if his first read isn't available. When he is able to target that guy, he has been successful (or let down by receiver drops). When forced to go to his secondary and tertiary targets, his accuracy seems to drop off a ledge.

Just google some of his Oklahoma highlights and you'll see that he rarely had to do so in college. And when he did, his next options would be running wide open. Now he's forced to make tough throws and he simply isn't performing.

In this era, most college QBs play in that type of system and require a few years to develop with pro style reads. My fear is that his two year loss may have killed any momentum he was gaining in that regard.

Unlike you, I'm able to evaluate Sam objectively. I want him to be great. I thought he could be when he was drafted and again when Chip traded for him. He's not even close to greatness right now. At this point, I'd just take good.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 4 2015, 12:34 AM) *
I was a huge Bradford fan coming out of college, but I don't give a rat's ass if he was or would have been the #1 pick in every season the draft has existed. I care about what he can do for me today.

I don't have the luxury of watching tape after the games, but my naked eye evaluation suggests that he is struggling mightily if his first read isn't available. When he is able to target that guy, he has been successful (or let down by receiver drops). When forced to go to his secondary and tertiary targets, his accuracy seems to drop off a ledge.

Just google some of his Oklahoma highlights and you'll see that he rarely had to do so in college. And when he did, his next options would be running wide open. Now he's forced to make tough throws and he simply isn't performing.

In this era, most college QBs play in that type of system and require a few years to develop with pro style reads. My fear is that his two year loss may have killed any momentum he was gaining in that regard.

Unlike you, I'm able to evaluate Sam objectively. I want him to be great. I thought he could be when he was drafted and again when Chip traded for him. He's not even close to greatness right now. At this point, I'd just take good.

Some of what you say is fair/accurate and he does have to play better. It's been a very strange season for him and the offense; in a 2 game strecth where he threw 5 ints (NO & NY) the Eagles have blown out both opponents but in Washington he throws 3 td's/0 picks and they lose?

Stats be damned, when I see the few instances where they are running it well and playing fast the offense mirrors what I saw in PS.

For ME the key is seeing more of this, get the 1st first down, stretch the field laterally, run it wide and up the gut then hit the D over the top.

I have no issues with a fair eval of Sam, FAIR being the optimal word.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Nov 4 2015, 12:31 AM) *
How did Seattle fail to score 20 pts on Dallas's D?

Dallas D is darn good especially with 50 in the middle and Seattle's O is not very good. Wilson was HIGHLY inaccurate too.

Dallas D dominated Philly in Philly...it will be interesting to see how Chip attacks them this time around.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Nov 4 2015, 05:14 AM) *
playing fast the offense mirrors what I saw in PS.

One additional question remains. Why are they playing slower under Bradford than any other time in Chip's tenure?
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 4 2015, 11:44 AM) *
One additional question remains. Why are they playing slower under Bradford than any other time in Chip's tenure?

Chip seems to have slowed them down for one, don't know why. The receivers aren't getting open or Bradford doesn't have confidence ... either in himself or his receivers? Is he not reading the defenses quickly and correctly?
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Nov 4 2015, 11:44 AM) *

For me it's obviously all the new parts, Bradford, Murray, R Matthews, Agular...then you have Ertz coming off injury, J Matthews moved to the slot, Miles Austin...it's next to impossible to play fast, at least out the gate, with all those moving parts.

Hopefully with each passing game the tempo improves along with the # of 1st downs.
Joegrane
The biggest reason might be the overall inefficiency of the O. Too many 3-and-outs will wear down your D. If the D is not playing fast they won't likely force TOs.

The system Chip & Davis put together will look great when the O can move the ball with tempo and when the D's front 7 has an edge over the opposing O Line.

However I don't expect that to happen against Dallas. With the return of Dez and the game being in big D, this could be a close game.

QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 4 2015, 03:06 PM) *
Chip seems to have slowed them down for one, don't know why. The receivers aren't getting open or Bradford doesn't have confidence ... either in himself or his receivers? Is he not reading the defenses quickly and correctly?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Nov 4 2015, 03:06 PM) *

Well, it may be a stretch but, when the ball is thrown inaccurately or dropped, it takes longer to get it back in the hands of the official for permission to start the next play.
JeeQ
Must win game Sunday without a doubt. Time to stop looking like pieces of shit every time we're in primetime
mcnabbulous
A nice breakdown of some of the post bye wrinkles from last night's game:
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/art...d6-bf61213d3794
mcnabbulous
Wrinkles, tendency breakers...I don't care what you call them, but this is another nice read on the subject. Reiterates the same things said about the game winning play, but adds some other stuff too.

http://chipwagon.typepad.com/eagles/2015/1...tendencies.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.