Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do You Trust Chip Kelly With Your Team?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
An interesting question asked by the Cuz this morning.

I never thought of it that way, really.

The answer was not difficult.

NO.

The easiest thing for a coach to do is to put his best players on the field. All that takes is a set of eyes and a set of balls.

He doesn't do that. He takes the cowards way of deflecting to Duce and creating injury excuses.

All of the other decisions are harder than that one.

Free agents retention/recruitment? D

Drafts? D

Improvement of players? C

Game Plan? B-, but heading in the wrong direction. We've had the same game plan every week. Also shares blame for having those two CB's starting last year with Carroll on the bench and having a plan to man up Dez with Fletch

Commitment to the Organization? Incomplete, but would anyone be shocked if he goes back to college if we have a disappointing season? I wouldn't.

Anyone?

Robberson
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 28 2015, 09:33 PM) *

Drafts? D

Game Plan? B-, but heading in the wrong direction. We've had the same game plan every week. Also shares blame for having those two CB's starting last year with Carroll on the bench and having a plan to man up Dez with Fletch

Commitment to the Organization? Incomplete, but would anyone be shocked if he goes back to college if we have a disappointing season? I wouldn't.

Cuz still has a radio show?

I agree with most of your grades, though Improvement of Players should be a C+ considering Marcus Smith finally recorded an NFL stat. laugh.gif

I knew Chip was a fraud before it was mainstream. Lurie wanted hype, and he got it. But the honeymoon is over.
Joegrane
Although I'm not a big "Chip guy" I'd give him higher grades than those. I don't doubt that he can build a successful offense. My concern was that he would never build an adequate D. This D has been a pleasant surprise, even with the injuries.

I don't know if he'll ever build an elite team but I am confident he will get 10+ win seasons, just not this year.

Would he sacrifice this season in order to sign Bradford to a lower contract? Would he intentionally have the offense under-perform this year in order to better position the organization to afford the needed players to become elite in the coming seasons?

QUOTE (Robberson @ Oct 28 2015, 10:05 PM) *
Cuz still has a radio show?

I agree with most of your grades, though Improvement of Players should be a C+ considering Marcus Smith finally recorded an NFL stat. laugh.gif

I knew Chip was a fraud before it was mainstream. Lurie wanted hype, and he got it. But the honeymoon is over.

Joegrane
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 29 2015, 01:02 AM) *
Although I'm not a big "Chip guy" I'd give him higher grades than those. ( I think the Eagles would currently be in better shape had Andy been resigned so he could have gotten a half decent D coordinator) I don't doubt that Chip can build a successful offense. My concern was that he would never build an adequate D. This D has been a pleasant surprise, even with the injuries.

I don't know if he'll ever build an elite team but I am confident he will have 10+ win seasons, just not this year.

Would he sacrifice this season in order to sign Bradford to a lower contract? Would he intentionally have the offense under-perform this year in order to better position the organization to afford the needed players to become elite in the coming seasons?

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 28 2015, 09:33 PM) *
An interesting question asked by the Cuz this morning.

I never thought of it that way, really.

The answer was not difficult.

NO.

The easiest thing for a coach to do is to put his best players on the field. All that takes is a set of eyes and a set of balls.

He doesn't do that. He takes the cowards way of deflecting to Duce and creating injury excuses.

All of the other decisions are harder than that one.

Drafts? D

Anyone?

Shocking stuff....

Yawn
D Rock
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 29 2015, 06:17 AM) *
Shocking stuff....

Yawn

Yup. Cry Baby Nonsense.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 29 2015, 06:17 AM) *
Shocking stuff....

Yawn

QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 29 2015, 07:33 AM) *
Yup. Cry Baby Nonsense.

You might be satisfied with how the team is playing this season but I'm not. I want an OL that can block consistently, a QB who can pass accurately, WRs who can catch the ball and RBs who play according to form and not contract. I'd also like a former first round pick at OLB to contribute and a megabucks CB to look interested but that's just me being greedy.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 29 2015, 02:37 PM) *
You might be satisfied with how the team is playing this season but I'm not. I want an OL that can block consistently, a QB who can pass accurately, WRs who can catch the ball and RBs who play according to form and not contract. I'd also like a former first round pick at OLB to contribute and a megabucks CB to look interested but that's just me being greedy.

I don't think that answers the question. I highly doubt any Eagles fan is satisfied with the teams performance this season.

With regards to the original question, I think it's too early to decide if the roi is of value. While not traditional, the moves made to build this team have been sound. The only real question mark entering the season was the oline....and after 7 games we know that an upgrade is necessary. We have also found that the high pedigree QB has not shown an early returns...the same goes for our number one rb.

The reality of the situation is that without solid QB play any team is bound to struggle.

So to answer the original question, yes I trust Chip with the team.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 29 2015, 02:37 PM) *

No shit Sherlock......

Unfortunately in the real world you cannot just snap your fingers and they magically appear..and you can't just hope injuries do not occur....you also cannot guarantee performance.....again...the real world....

Kelly took over a 4-12 team(a team that was 8-8 the year prior to that)....that is the real world.....when you have a 4-12 team you generally make over that roster....he is nearly done doing that. Have all of his moves been great? not at all.....but his only real mistake was not paying enough attention to the OL.....Maclin? where do you stop bidding?...all this whining about keep bidding up would be the same people wailing about an idiotic overspend when Maclin retore his ACL......Name a GM who has not missed on a player?

For a 3rd year coach and first year GM and considering the team he inherited I think that he is headed in the right direction...have there been bumps?..no doubt...but I like him so far..

But then again....some of you folks were the same guys crying for Gus Bradley.....or Bill O'brien

xsv
I still like both Gus Bradley and Bill O'Brian.

But I'm also convinced the Kelly is a terrific coach who makes great in game adjustments. I'm not sold on his ability to evaluate talent at this level yet, so I'm skeptical of him having GM duties, but I'm willing to take a wait and see approach.

Also, I think he's shown some stubbornness that makes me wonder (Murray continuing to start this year, Fletcher starting over Carroll last year, etc), but again, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, for at least another year.

BTW, the "No shit Sherlock" is a bit harsh. It's the comments like that that have people thinking you're an asshole, even if you aren't. I think your opinion gets disregarded often just because people want an asshole to be wrong. I don't think this is anything you haven't heard before, I just thought I'd point it out.... again. You can disagree without people without being so condescending.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 29 2015, 03:37 PM) *
No shit Sherlock......

Unfortunately in the real world you cannot just snap your fingers and they magically appear..and you can't just hope injuries do not occur....you also cannot guarantee performance.....again...the real world....

Kelly took over a 4-12 team(a team that was 8-8 the year prior to that)....that is the real world.....when you have a 4-12 team you generally make over that roster....he is nearly done doing that. Have all of his moves been great? not at all.....but his only real mistake was not paying enough attention to the OL.....Maclin? where do you stop bidding?...all this whining about keep bidding up would be the same people wailing about an idiotic overspend when Maclin retore his ACL......Name a GM who has not missed on a player?

For a 3rd year coach and first year GM and considering the team he inherited I think that he is headed in the right direction...have there been bumps?..no doubt...but I like him so far..

But then again....some of you folks were the same guys crying for Gus Bradley.....or Bill O'brien
Reality Fan
QUOTE (xsv @ Oct 29 2015, 04:19 PM) *
I still like both Gus Bradley and Bill O'Brian.

But I'm also convinced the Kelly is a terrific coach who makes great in game adjustments. I'm not sold on his ability to evaluate talent at this level yet, so I'm skeptical of him having GM duties, but I'm willing to take a wait and see approach.

Also, I think he's shown some stubbornness that makes me wonder (Murray continuing to start this year, Fletcher starting over Carroll last year, etc), but again, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, for at least another year.

BTW, the "No shit Sherlock" is a bit harsh. It's the comments like that that have people thinking you're an asshole, even if you aren't. I think your opinion gets disregarded often just because people want an asshole to be wrong. I don't think this is anything you haven't heard before, I just thought I'd point it out.... again. You can disagree without people without being so condescending.

I agree with your take on Kelly...particularly your concerns....

as far as the Sherlock comment...you apparently miss the humor with Eyrie being from across the Atlantic..of course Sherlock Holmes was English but close enough...

I really do not care if someone's feelings are hurt or if they disregard my opinions....I merely try to keep things based in actual facts as often as possible and back up as much of my posts with those silly things called facts....facts easily found when people take the time to look at any of the many statistical sites freely available. That bothers people....

As far as me being an asshole? Sometimes....but some of the posts here are so off the tracks it is hard not to be sarcastic...
Eyrie
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 29 2015, 09:35 PM) *
as far as the Sherlock comment...you apparently miss the humor with Eyrie being from across the Atlantic..of course Sherlock Holmes was English but close enough...

I can top that by pointing out that his author was born in Edinburgh tongue.gif

I'm aware that a roster can't be remade overnight, but I'm entitled to be frustrated when the head coach decides to do so in year three - this is when we should be seeing the benefits of the roster overhaul that is expected in year one.

As regards specific moves, I've frequently pointed out that we made Maclin a very good offer, was on board with giving Bradford a chance and like 99% of posters on here was delighted at getting Maxwell. I've also conceded that I was wrong about Hicks.

I'm also pleased that you've agreed that Kelly's "...only real mistake was not paying enough attention to the OL", which I've spent most of the last off season and all of this season to date bitching about. Sometimes Sheerluck gets it right!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 29 2015, 07:54 PM) *
I can top that by pointing out that his author was born in Edinburgh tongue.gif

I'm aware that a roster can't be remade overnight, but I'm entitled to be frustrated when the head coach decides to do so in year three - this is when we should be seeing the benefits of the roster overhaul that is expected in year one.

As regards specific moves, I've frequently pointed out that we made Maclin a very good offer, was on board with giving Bradford a chance and like 99% of posters on here was delighted at getting Maxwell. I've also conceded that I was wrong about Hicks.

I'm also pleased that you've agreed that Kelly's "...only real mistake was not paying enough attention to the OL", which I've spent most of the last off season and all of this season to date bitching about. Sometimes Sheerluck gets it right!

understandable....but you can make the case that he has done it in stages over his 3 years.......75% of this roster is his....which...from a talent standpoint....is as close as it is going to get....mix in missed draft picks ( a process every team goes through) and roster fillers I think he should be closer to the finished product but i don't think he is far off....I think it is a matter of these guys settling in with each other....I could be wrong but the talent is there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.