Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey X...read this
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...for_Eagles.html

particularly this part:

Those numbers suggest: 1) Bradford's last six games are not indicative of his 49 prior, and, 2) even if they were, the only thing you'd change by starting Sanchez would be the name of the guy throwing the interceptions.
nd9kel
Don't go all "logical" on us. lol.
mcnabbulous
While I don't know if this situation with Bradford is an anomaly or not, I do agree that starting Sanchez now makes no sense.

If you're going to make the argument that his interceptions are an anomaly, you have to do the same with his YPA. He's currently averaging 6.8 YPA (compared to his career average of 6.4). Murphy makes the point that in the past two games, that number has been 7.4. Maybe that is the tradeoff. If Bradford goes down the field, he's more likely to throw picks.

We don't really have a case study for that the rest of his career.

Keep in mind, Sanchez averaged a full yard more per attempt while having a slightly lower interception rate than Bradford.

The bottom line is that Bradford needs to continue pushing the ball down the field, but he needs to quit with the picks. Fast.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Oct 22 2015, 11:37 AM) *
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...for_Eagles.html

particularly this part:

Those numbers suggest: 1) Bradford's last six games are not indicative of his 49 prior, and, 2) even if they were, the only thing you'd change by starting Sanchez would be the name of the guy throwing the interceptions.

"Let's maintain some semblance of perspective. The guy just played his sixth game of football in nearly two years.

The year Eli Manning won his first Super Bowl, he threw eight interceptions in his first six games. His career numbers at the end of that year: 57 games, 54.7 completion percentage, 3.5 interception percentage, 6.3 yards per attempt, 199.7 yards per game, 73.4 quarterback rating.

Bradford just played in his 55th career game. His career numbers: 59.2 completion percentage, 2.4 interception percentage, 6.4 yards per attempt, 229.6 yards per game, 79.4 QB rating.

Say what you will about numbers, but they at least tell us something concrete, which is more than I can say for anybody who suggests Bradford belongs on the bench."

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...vZCA6gQ96fpL.99
Joegrane
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Oct 22 2015, 11:37 AM) *

The article makes interesting points, especially the following

In his career, Bradford has been picked off on 2.4 percent of his pass attempts, which is a solid number (Tom Brady: 2.0 percent). Sanchez, by comparison, has been picked off on 3.7 percent of his career attempts. This season, Bradford has been picked off on 3.9 percent of his throws.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles...QoX4eC4PVcFg.99

The reason I would consider giving Sanchez three games after the Bye if Bradford has another performance with multiple bad interceptions is to send Bradford a message.

I've never believed that this year was about making a run in the playoffs. I always saw it as a rebuilding year and especially a year to make a big decision about the QB of the future.

They did not get rid of Foles because he was terrible. It must have been because they did not like his ceiling more than Bradford's--or maybe it provided the only sliver of chance to get Mariota.

If they want their QB to play at a level that can enable them to make a deep run, they will need to get Bradford to make better decisions.

He may be making some of those decisions in order to try to get a bigger paycheck next year. He wants to look great by making highlight TD passes. People who are me-first are not likely to make the team as successful as those who are team-first. In the end the former group will loose out. Pro scouts can see who is helping the team to be successful.

I don't think Sanchez will play much better than Bradford and he might play worse. However by sitting Bradford for a few weeks you send a message to him and the team about what enables elite teams to be successful.

Chip certainly would not portray the change to the media the way I am describing it. He could just say he is giving Mark an opportunity to show what he can do for the next three games.

Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 22 2015, 10:08 PM) *
I don't think Sanchez will play much better than Bradford and he might play worse. However by sitting Bradford for a few weeks you send a message to him and the team about what enables elite teams to be successful.

I'm not sure sitting him will send the right message. He's not a stupid guy and he's looking at an expiring contract. With the accuracy and ints he's shown he won't get any offers for a starting gig and he knows it. Hopefully his motivation to improve is team based and not a personal thing, but the contract is always the reality ... he won't play anywhere if he doesn't improve.

I've also read or heard somewhere that he may not be using his legs to throw because his upper body is developed more than his legs due to the injury. The thought was that when his lower body gets developed his accuracy will improve.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 22 2015, 10:08 PM) *
The reason I would consider giving Sanchez three games after the Bye if Bradford has another performance with multiple bad interceptions is to send Bradford a message.

Double-edge sword my friend because the message Bradford and his agent will give back is; "enjoy Sanchez as your Qb in 2016 cause I'm out of here.."

And before you say "good bye" you netter take a look around at the state of QBs around this league.

Chip didn't make the trade to take on Sam's salary and give up the 2nd rounder for a 1-and-done deal.
Joegrane
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Oct 23 2015, 11:17 PM) *
Double-edge sword my friend because the message Bradford and his agent will give back is; "enjoy Sanchez as your Qb in 2016 cause I'm out of here.."

And before you say "good bye" you netter take a look around at the state of QBs around this league.

Chip didn't make the trade to take on Sam's salary and give up the 2nd rounder for a 1-and-done deal.

I've also read or heard somewhere that he may not be using his legs to throw because his upper body is developed more than his legs due to the injury. The thought was that when his lower body gets developed his accuracy will improve. Zero

You both make very good points. Zero, I hope you are right.

Bradford might also be nicked up enough that it is affecting his throwing. Why did he look so consistently impressive with his accuracy in the preseason?

The other angle is by playing Sanchez you get to see what he can do with a fully healed body. The preseason was certainly not encouraging. Maybe they are already not impressed with his work with the scout team in practice.

Chip does not seem to have much patience when someone is not "his guy." He is certainly not one to be worried about the traditional way to handle situations. Nothing will surprise me with him.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Oct 24 2015, 04:17 AM) *

The trade wasn't made in the expectation that Bradford would play as poorly as he has done to date. It was made because Bradford has the upside to be our franchise QB.

However that only guarantees him the first opportunity to show us what he can do in our offense. If he isn't improving then at some point we have to move on - the question is where the line will be drawn.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.