Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Look at the bright side of the Bradford issue
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
If he doesn't show he can actually play he becomes a one year mistake.

Bet he's wondering why he didn't take an extension, played that wrong to our benefit.

samaroo
There is that. Man, our D has been impressive, though. Not just this week, but consistently. What a turnaround. If Bradford would just manage the game better (a la Alex Smith the past few years) we'd be a much better team.

And if our OL could open some holes.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (samaroo @ Oct 20 2015, 01:18 AM) *
There is that. Man, our D has been impressive, though. Not just this week, but consistently. What a turnaround. If Bradford would just manage the game better (a la Alex Smith the past few years) we'd be a much better team.

And if our OL could open some holes.

LOL, Alex Smith?

I seem to recall the first 2 weeks here when ALL Eagles fans were screaming about not throwing the ball down field.

You remember that???

THAT is Alex Smith.
samaroo
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Oct 20 2015, 07:07 PM) *
LOL, Alex Smith?

I seem to recall the first 2 weeks here when ALL Eagles fans were screaming about not throwing the ball down field.

You remember that???

THAT is Alex Smith.

I do remember that. But I also see Sam throwing very avoidable INTs. I still have more hope for him than most here, but he hasn't played well. I've been waiting for the rust to come off, but I'm thinking maybe rust isn't the problem. I still see a lot of miscommunication between him and the WRs, which oddly enough gives me some hope. If they can mesh, maybe this O can really start clicking. I'll let you know after the season if that hope is foolhardy or not.

But, a dink-and-dump check-down QB would be preferable to what we're getting right now, as long as the INTs come way down. Yes it clogs up the middle and severely limits the run game, but ending half of our drives with a turnover is decisively worse. I don't want to see Sanchez starting, but that argument has some merit. At this point, I just want the team to have a real, concrete idea of what Sam Bradford is and will be, so that, for the first time in a long time, we can make a QB decision that isn't floating on the clouds of "what if" and "maybe."

If Sam can get it together and play like we all hope he can, that is fantastic. Show us he's the answer at QB and I'll gladly say "Pay that man his money." But if not, we need to look elsewhere. And more importantly, we need to know that we need to look elsewhere.
nephillymike
The more disturbing thing is that our mgt was willing to offer him an extension.

We dodged a bullet on that one!
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 20 2015, 10:25 PM) *
The more disturbing thing is that our mgt was willing to offer him an extension.

What was disturbing?he played well in the practices and played well in pre season....it would have been a wise move...who knew he would not stay sharp?....Hell...it is a surprise to him...why do you think he did not sign an extension...he thought he was going to light it up
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 20 2015, 09:47 PM) *
What was disturbing?he played well in the practices and played well in pre season....it would have been a wise move...who knew he would not stay sharp?....Hell...it is a surprise to him...why do you think he did not sign an extension...he thought he was going to light it up

The disturbing thing is they were too impatient with their evaluation of a QB who had poor career statistics.

He had the arm, accuracy and touch at his Pro Day. His problem was that he couldn't get it done with live bullets.

The smart thing was to see a few games of live bullets to see if he was worth extending.

Like I said, we dodged a bullet.

Could you imagine if we were stuck with this guy?

Right now, even if he is who he's been showing so far, we only wasted $12M and a 2nd at the craps table. Imagine if that was $50M and a 2nd? Talk radio would blow up!
Phits
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 20 2015, 10:47 PM) *
...he thought he was going to light it up

We all did.
mcnabbulous
Obviously what they offered wasn't compelling enough for him to accept it. That should probably tell you what you need to know.
samaroo
Yep. Our mgmt. (i.e., Chip) was confident in their assessment of Bradford and offered him an extension. That's not out of the ordinary at all. He hasn't panned out so far, but it doesn't mean it would've been a bad idea at the time.

Think about this, too. What other options are out there at QB? Or are going to be? There's no awesome FAs coming, and no sure-fire guys coming out of college. There's an argument to be made that Bradford still might be worth resigning. At least we should be able to get a good deal on an extension at this point.
Dreagon
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 20 2015, 10:02 PM) *
Obviously what they offered wasn't compelling enough for him to accept it. That should probably tell you what you need to know.

Agreed. Actually it also suggests that Kelly really did get him with an eye at trading for a shot at Mariota and things simply didn't work out that way. Now he's got Bradford for a year, and if Bradford doesn't cut it he can wash his hands of him.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 20 2015, 11:00 PM) *
The disturbing thing is they were too impatient with their evaluation of a QB who had poor career statistics.

He had the arm, accuracy and touch at his Pro Day. His problem was that he couldn't get it done with live bullets.

The smart thing was to see a few games of live bullets to see if he was worth extending.

Right now, even if he is who he's been showing so far, we only wasted $12M and a 2nd at the craps table. Imagine if that was $50M and a 2nd? Talk radio would blow up!

The weird part is INTs were never his problem in the past, he had others, but not picks.

IDK but I think he is pressing now, things did not start well and now the fact that his future is basically riding on his performance might be in his head. I am sure Chip has told him that barring injury he is the QB this year, but I think both know if he doesn't SIGNIFICANTLY improve he goes into free agency and might be lucky to get a back up contract. Let's see if he has the mental strength to overcome it, I think he has the talent, but his decision making is seriously suspect now.
Zero

Monday night I was muttering that I've had about enough of Sam Bradford. But that was game-time frustration boiling over. I can see you've ripped up your lottery ticket on the guy but I haven't. I think my odds aren't very good that I'll be a winner, but there are glimpses of something there that keeps me hanging on.

Or, maybe I'm just being a contrarian. More likely, Optimystic.
Reality Fan

no...your right....we should have waited to see if he was a stud out of the gate and watched his demand go right to 20 million /year.....great idea.....the idea was to lock him up at a reasonable price...

and who he was in his last healthy season was a good QB...before he got hurt..
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 20 2015, 10:25 PM) *

Yeah, and taking into account his medical history, the most I would have offered him was a one year deal.
Joegrane
Chip has on a few occasions mentioned that the receivers ran incorrect routes. If this young WR core becomes more consistent, Bradford might show more confidence in them. The offense could improve, especially if the O Linemen get healthy.

I did not expect the back end of the D to play this well, especially at this starge of the season. Of course, Hicks is obviously a quick study.

Hopefully Kendricks comes back for the Carolina game. He is well suited to be the QB spy. You don't want to have a rookie assigned to do that.

The Carolina game will give us a better feel for where the Eagles are. I'm assuming this will be a road L, but would not be surprised if it is a close game.

If Bradford turns in another clunker performance I would not have any problem with Chip giving Sanchez at least a few games after the Bye.

I would not be surprised if Foles turns out to be the best of the three QBs. The guy showed he has guts and showed he can light it up when surrounded by a very good cast. I'm not sure about the other two. Thy both look like borderline NFL starters.

QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Oct 21 2015, 08:13 AM) *
Yeah, and taking into account his medical history, the most I would have offered him was a one year deal.
xsv
Fuck! I'm on the same side of the argument as you, too?

I guess I'm overreacting after all.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 21 2015, 05:39 PM) *
Chip has on a few occasions mentioned that the receivers ran incorrect routes. If this young WR core becomes more consistent, Bradford might show more confidence in them. The offense could improve, especially if the O Linemen get healthy.

I did not expect the back end of the D to play this well, especially at this starge of the season. Of course, Hicks is obviously a quick study.

Hopefully Kendricks comes back for the Carolina game. He is well suited to be the QB spy. You don't want to have a rookie assigned to do that.

The Carolina game will give us a better feel for where the Eagles are. I'm assuming this will be a road L, but would not be surprised if it is a close game.

If Bradford turns in another clunker performance I would not have any problem with Chip giving Sanchez at least a few games after the Bye.

I would not be surprised if Foles turns out to be the best of the three QBs. The guy showed he has guts and showed he can light it up when surrounded by a very good cast. I'm not sure about the other two. Thy both look like borderline NFL starters.

Phits
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 21 2015, 05:39 PM) *

Sanchez showed he can make it to the AFCCG without a very good offensive cast. If their careers ended today, he would get the nod. Based on play this season both Foles and Bradford get failing grades. At least Bradford has the excuse of being out of play for nearly two seasons.
xsv
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 21 2015, 06:55 PM) *
At least Bradford has the excuse of being out of play for nearly two seasons.

Sanchez was out a pretty long time with that shoulder injury on his throwing arm.

They both suck. Sanchez just sucks a little less.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.