Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: At this point, what record & season outcome is acceptable?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I ask this because I heard some on sports talk were lightening the expectations load and had a "strong" finish as the new revised acceptable outcome, giving our slow start and the new expectation that all these new players would need time to gel.

On the good side, the two power rankings I look at have us at 13th and 11th, which, given our record a results so far, is high praise.

They both agree that we will be underdogs in four games: @NE, @CAR, @NYG, vs. ARI.

One has us winning the rest, while Sagarin also has us as dogs @DAL.

So whether it is a 7-4 finish, or a 6-5 finish, seems like both have us winning more than losing from here on out.

So does 9-7 gain praise or acceptance?

How about 8-8?

Even with a loss tomorrow to us, the NYG are projected to go 11-5. They have an easy schedule from here. Even if they fall one under that, say 10-6. If by chance they drop 2 more, they would still get the tiebreakers on us, so we would lose out for the division with them, both at 9-7. This assumes DAL won't jump to a better record than us or them at this point.

So is a 9-7, lose the tiebreaker for the division, non wildcard season seen as a positive, given our early situation?

Or is that unacceptable?

What about if more things go our way, and we get to 10-6, but still do not qualify for the playoffs?

Does a 10-6 playoff appearance with a loss in the WC round meet the acceptable criteria?

How about better than that?

Where's your passing grade for this team?

Assume that our injuries will be reasonable, no more than our DAL and NYG suffer for the year.
Zero
Ultimately, the only 'acceptable' outcome in a given season is winning that last game in February. As unlikely as that is for the Eagles this season, it can still happen. I doubt it. So, for me the point is then how does the team get that last win sooner rather than later?

If the Eagles miss the playoffs this year with 7 wins but the team growth puts them in a solid position to win it all next year, is that acceptable? Growth questions that need to be resolved include Bradford, the OL, the WRs and the defense.

If at the end of the year the team is winning but has no chance of taking the division or getting into the playoffs but Bradford is seeing the field, pinpoint effective and his receivers are running the right routes and not dropping balls, if the OL is giving Murray et al the holes to average 4.5 and if the defense is consistently holding the opposition to 17 or less I will be satisfied. If they're doing those things, they would be a 12 to 14 win team.

This year is/was a rebuild year because they changed so many integral parts. It doesn't seem to be another Dream Team year. So, for me the record isn't the gauge for an acceptable season, it's how they are playing against viable competition at the end of the season followed by how they address the team in the 2016 off season.

I'd be happiest if they did all that and won the division. That would put them in the playoffs and give this group that experience. Once in, anything can happen.

If I wanted instant gratification I wouldn't be an Eagle fan. laugh.gif
nephillymike
For me it is unchanged for this year.

11 wins and win a playoff game.

This is year three for a new coach and year three is often the pivotal year in a coaching regime.

He made all of the decisions which is what he wanted.

These are HIS guys. This is HIS team.

Most of the guys leftover from the Reid era were not deemed good enough whether in talent, scheme fit, culture fit or salary fit.

He needs to make it work this year.

I would be OK with 10 wins provided that we get to the postseason and win a playoff game.

Anything else is not good enough. Not given the talent he started with in 2013, the decent draft positions we've had and the abundance of cap room at our disposal.

He needs to get us to that level to justify Jeffrey handing him the keys.

He still can, but need a win Monday to give us a chance.

Reality Fan
I am curious about one thing.....you keep saying this is "his team" yet a well documented power struggle occurred in the offseason...I am sure you read about it.....and if that is the case, and now he is GM, it indicates that there was an issue with player selection and he now has 1 draft under his belt to make this "his" team.

Don't get me wrong....I do not discount that he had input, even significant input, on previous draft and personnel decisions but something triggered the power struggle. That indicates serious conflicts in player selection. Lurie is no idiot....if Chip's draft decisions such as Marcus Smith were indeed his than he does not get the GM duties.

I still think they finish 11-5...but the trajectory for this team beyond this year is a strong one.....they have a young and talented defense.......if and I admit it is a big if, Bradford continues to settle in then they are set for a few years on offense...

I will be content with 10-6 or 9-7 but next year will be a shit or get off the pot year......
nephillymike
At a minimum, he had:

Final say over everything in 2015, with the exception of getting permission to spend at a higher rate than years past

Final say over the 53 guys he kept on the roster each year and who played on Sundays of those 53.

He had significant say over who he drafted in his first two years. So maybe there was one player he didn't want in those drafts? Two? Judging by the heavy PAC-10/Oregon influx, it doesn't look like many possibilities for disagreement.

He's had final say over his coaching staff.

He's had final say over the sports science and all of the extra commitment required.

The cumulative influence on this team's roster compilation, playing time, money spent and talent is 90% Chip.

Aka HIS team.

Truth be told, almost all wanted it to be his team. So that shouldn't be a problem

9-7, 10-6, content?

Next year?

Where's the bar get set for next year coming off a 10-6 or 9-7 non playoff game winning year (not saying we won't but not likely with those records).

Does our possible under performance this year help lower the expectations for next year?

If so, why?

If not, than should the expected result of this year, (11-5, win the division, 2 playoff wins) lead to a higher expectation next year?

Just would like to understand it.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 18 2015, 09:39 AM) *
Does our possible under performance this year help lower the expectations for next year?

You seem to have completely side-stepped my point about improvement. If they continue to play better, especially against quality opponents, and finish the season 9-7 (your number) and miss the playoffs but are playing lights out, do you still say that isn't acceptable? Forget all the 'he did' and 'he didn't', the should've/could've/would've stuff. If the Eagles improve and they're playing contender football at the end of the season with no chance to advance, what's your mood?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 18 2015, 09:39 AM) *
At a minimum, he had:

Final say over everything in 2015, with the exception of getting permission to spend at a higher rate than years past
Agreed and rather obvious

Final say over the 53 guys he kept on the roster each year and who played on Sundays of those 53.
agreed and again, rather obvious

He had significant say over who he drafted in his first two years. So maybe there was one player he didn't want in those drafts? Two? Judging by the heavy PAC-10/Oregon influx, it doesn't look like many possibilities for disagreement.
I agree to a point....and really....if that was the case....where did the feud with Howie start?....did Howie steal his parking spot? Did Kelly slip Lurie a roofie and convince him that Howie made the picks and Kelly had nothing to do with it? I mean seriously.....what caused the rift? Did Marcus Smith play in the Pac 10?

He's had final say over his coaching staff.
this obvious stuff is tedious

He's had final say over the sports science and all of the extra commitment required.
see above.....is that a negative by the way?

The cumulative influence on this team's roster compilation, playing time, money spent and talent is 90% Chip.
I agree he had significant input.......but again....if that was the case......then why the feud?

Aka HIS team.
It is now

Truth be told, almost all wanted it to be his team. So that shouldn't be a problem
and I don't

9-7, 10-6, content?
Not ideal but I am a realist......while I think Kelly is a pretty good coach he is not a magician......
Next year?

Where's the bar get set for next year coming off a 10-6 or 9-7 non playoff game winning year (not saying we won't but not likely with those records).
I thought "shit or get off the pot" was self explanatory but the bar is very high next year......they need to go deep into the playoffs as a legitimate contender bar multiple significant injury

and unequivocal no...it raises it......all excuses are gone....

If not, than should the expected result of this year, (11-5, win the division, 2 playoff wins) lead to a higher expectation next year?
It should

Just would like to understand it.
I hope that cleared it up......lol.....
D Rock
Anything less than 10 wins is unacceptable. Anything less than a division title is unacceptable.
Eyrie
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 18 2015, 07:20 PM) *
Anything less than 10 wins is unacceptable. Anything less than a division title is unacceptable.

If you mean this season, then you're going to be disappointed.

Right now I'd take 9-7, which may still be good enough for the division title.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 18 2015, 09:04 AM) *
You seem to have completely side-stepped my point about improvement. If they continue to play better, especially against quality opponents, and finish the season 9-7 (your number) and miss the playoffs but are playing lights out, do you still say that isn't acceptable? Forget all the 'he did' and 'he didn't', the should've/could've/would've stuff. If the Eagles improve and they're playing contender football at the end of the season with no chance to advance, what's your mood?

At 2-3, with, hopefully, a home win as a favorite against a banged up NYG team, 3-3 after six, I would think "lights out" would get us to 10 or 11 wins? Finish 7-3 or 8-2. Or do we allow for wandering around aimlessly until going into week 13 at 5-7, and then finish with 4 wins for the heralded 9-7 year, or 3 of 4 for 8-8?

Nope. That's fools gold. Especially in year 3.

Win a playoff game with 10 or 11 wins. No exception. Not in year three.

Even a Bradford injury, from what I've seen so far, we lose nothing if Sanchez plays like he did last year. Now the expectations is Bradford will start to distinguish himself as being a tier above, but up until now, he hasn't.
Phits
It's year one, with a revamped roster.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 18 2015, 02:45 PM) *
At 2-3, with, hopefully, a home win as a favorite against a banged up NYG team, 3-3 after six, I would think "lights out" would get us to 10 or 11 wins? Finish 7-3 or 8-2. Or do we allow for wandering around aimlessly until going into week 13 at 5-7, and then finish with 4 wins for the heralded 9-7 year, or 3 of 4 for 8-8?

Nope. That's fools gold. Especially in year 3.

Win a playoff game with 10 or 11 wins. No exception. Not in year three.

Even a Bradford injury, from what I've seen so far, we lose nothing if Sanchez plays like he did last year. Now the expectations is Bradford will start to distinguish himself as being a tier above, but up until now, he hasn't.

samaroo
I think I'm with Z on this one. Most of us (me included) discounted the apparent time required for all the pieces to mesh. (This, of course, is assuming that all the pieces WILL mesh, and just haven't yet.) I know I was more hopeful than realistic this off-season. So, I would like to see solid improvement on O. Our D is pretty much where it needs to be. We need some depth in spots, but what we're putting on the field is probably as good as it's gonna get on defense.

But I need to see our O clicking. Consistently. Against non-New Orleans teams. That would make me very happy. And if we can't overcome our hole this year and miss the post-season, but look like a good football team doing it, I'll be okay with that. I'll be super bummed, but it'll give me a light at the end of the tunnel. Which is all I need, because I've been raised to live off of pre-season hope, and nothing else.
Robberson
If he takes this 6-10 team and goes 10-6 or 9-7, I'd be satisfied enough to wait another year before bringing a bag of D batteries to a game.
Dreagon
In the toilet bowl that is currently the NFC East, we're all simply striving to be the turd that floats to the top.
samaroo
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Oct 19 2015, 10:53 AM) *
In the toilet bowl that is currently the NFC East, we're all simply striving to be the turd that floats to the top.

Appropriately gross and apt.
D Rock
QUOTE (samaroo @ Oct 19 2015, 03:07 AM) *
Appropriately gross and apt.

From the department of redundancy department.
samaroo
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 19 2015, 12:05 PM) *
From the department of redundancy department.

Yep. Just down the hall from the Ministry of Funny Walks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.