Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Utley Suspended
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
D Rock
What horse shit.

Chase is one of the best examples of everything that is right with baseball. As an Angelino who grew up back east, I've taken the curse of my philly phandom with me (like we do) and instilled it in my Cali born children. My 8 year old boy (and 10 year old girl) have been watching Chase play ball since they were old enough to know what was going on. We watch him play specifically because he is IMO the finest example of doing everything the right way.

There is/was no malice in that slide. It was good, hard playing baseball. I coach my daughter who's a bit of a phenom - (all-star 1st base and #2 catcher, led her league in OBP, #2 in batting average on undefeated league championship team. Team was 5th of 15 at State Championship tourney) in softball. That's exactly how we teach em. Get big, block vision, disrupt the throw. If the feet aint right, the throw aint right. If Tejada turns face side on that throw attempt, rather than going full ballerina on it . . . there is no broken leg. The leg break is equally on Tejada as it is Utley. And I for one would think that Chase's track record as a player and a human being should make it clear to all that it was just an unlucky turn of events. To suspend him for 2 games in an NLDS is fucking horse shit.

As a philly phan living in L.A. ... it's been great getting to watch JRoll and Chase end their careers out here. Chase is a SoCal kid, and there is just something inexplicably special about this dodgers team since Magic and his group took over. If you've never had the chance, and get it . . . go see a game at Dodger Stadium.
mcnabbulous
I thought the slide was questionable, but certainly he didn't intend to injure Tejada. The rules are designed to allow for that type of play and Chase has been on both sides of it throughout his career. It's not like he's a pitcher that throws at a batter and doesn't have to worry about retaliation.

He's appealing and will likely win. I don't expect the suspension to hold up.
D Rock
I certainly hope you're right. Chase is my favorite player since Pete. And Pete is still getting fucked by the game.
Birdman420
Watched the tape before responding...

It looks like taking him out was intentional but knowing chase- the resulting injury wasn't. I thought the rules allowed that type of slide?
D Rock
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Oct 12 2015, 05:32 PM) *
Watched the tape before responding...

It looks like taking him out was intentional but knowing chase- the resulting injury wasn't. I thought the rules allowed that type of slide?

They do.
Robberson
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 12 2015, 12:02 PM) *
What horse shit.

Chase is one of the best examples of everything that is right with baseball. As an Angelino who grew up back east, I've taken the curse of my philly phandom with me (like we do) and instilled it in my Cali born children. My 8 year old boy (and 10 year old girl) have been watching Chase play ball since they were old enough to know what was going on. We watch him play specifically because he is IMO the finest example of doing everything the right way.

There is/was no malice in that slide. It was good, hard playing baseball. I coach my daughter who's a bit of a phenom - (all-star 1st base and #2 catcher, led her league in OBP, #2 in batting average on undefeated league championship team. Team was 5th of 15 at State Championship tourney) in softball. That's exactly how we teach em. Get big, block vision, disrupt the throw. If the feet aint right, the throw aint right. If Tejada turns face side on that throw attempt, rather than going full ballerina on it . . . there is no broken leg. The leg break is equally on Tejada as it is Utley. And I for one would think that Chase's track record as a player and a human being should make it clear to all that it was just an unlucky turn of events. To suspend him for 2 games in an NLDS is fucking horse shit.

As a philly phan living in L.A. ... it's been great getting to watch JRoll and Chase end their careers out here. Chase is a SoCal kid, and there is just something inexplicably special about this dodgers team since Magic and his group took over. If you've never had the chance, and get it . . . go see a game at Dodger Stadium.

Well put. I knew sooner or later you'd be right about something, meaning we would be in agreement. wink.gif

That slide was everything we love about Utley - tough, smart, hard nosed baseball. And that slide is why the Dodgers made it 5-2 in the 7th instead of a 2-1 Mets lead going into the 8th. Anyone who thinks there's anything 'questionable' about that slide is either a disgruntled Mets fan, an ESPN paid whore (looking at you Cora), or a product of our emasculated, whiny little pussy society who's never played sports before.
mcnabbulous
It was a great slide that contributed to the Dodgers winning the game. But at the end of the day, a guy broke his leg. And a few years ago, another guy (Scutaro) essentially had his career ended on a similar play.

MLB should review whether it's worth having those types of plays as part of the game. Going hard into the bag and making yourself big should be a strategy. Very blatantly going after the defender with no real intention of safely arriving at the bag is a different story.

If Utley had been on the receiving end of it, I wouldn't be very happy about it. I suspect no one here would.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 12 2015, 09:56 PM) *
It was a great slide that contributed to the Dodgers winning the game. But at the end of the day, a guy broke his leg. And a few years ago, another guy (Scutaro) essentially had his career ended on a similar play.

MLB should review whether it's worth having those types of plays as part of the game. Going hard into the bag and making yourself big should be a strategy. Very blatantly going after the defender with no real intention of safely arriving at the bag is a different story.

If Utley had been on the receiving end of it, I wouldn't be very happy about it. I suspect no one here would.

Even if Utley didn't slide into him, Tejada still failed to touch the bag. They would have still reviewed the play and Chase would have STILL been SAFE. That play did not affect the outcome of the game. This isn't detroit.

SAM I Am
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 12 2015, 05:34 PM) *
Even if Utley didn't slide into him, Tejada still failed to touch the bag. They would have still reviewed the play and Chase would have STILL been SAFE. That play did not affect the outcome of the game. This isn't detroit.

Actually, he should have been called out even though Tejada didn't touch 2nd, and the reason he should have been called out is because he clearly wasn't trying to slide into 2nd base. It was an illegal slide, and not only should Utley have been called out, so should the player on first.

And with the fact that Tejada is done, I think the Utley suspension sticks.

Robberson
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Oct 12 2015, 05:47 PM) *
Actually, he should have been called out even though Tejada didn't touch 2nd, and the reason he should have been called out is because he clearly wasn't trying to slide into 2nd base. It was an illegal slide, and not only should Utley have been called out, so should the player on first.

And with the fact that Tejada is done, I think the Utley suspension sticks.

He was in the baseline and directly over the bag. And it's the umpire's judgement that matters. Great slide, great playing, and fuck the cowards at MLB for even attempting to suspend him.

I was unaware of this, but they offered Utley a 1-game suspension and he told them to go fuck themselves, then they came back with 2. I couldn't possibly love him more.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Robberson @ Oct 12 2015, 07:21 PM) *
He was in the baseline and directly over the bag. And it's the umpire's judgement that matters. Great slide, great playing, and fuck the cowards at MLB for even attempting to suspend him.

I was unaware of this, but they offered Utley a 1-game suspension and he told them to go fuck themselves, then they came back with 2. I couldn't possibly love him more.

He clearly had no intention of getting to 2nd base. And he didn't even start his slide until he already started taking out Tejada.
D Rock
That's the way players are coached. It was textbook and by the letter of the law.

They got the play right on the field and the suspension is 100% horse shit.

That's the fact. The suspension will not stand. BOOK IT.
nephillymike
FWIW, there are pictures on the internet of Murphy and Wright doing the same thing to Utley when he was with the Phillies. And in those pictures, they were further from the bag than Utley. Difference being, Utley protected himself with his positioning.

Stop crying NY!
D Rock
Amen. It happens all the time. It's exactly what you coach them to do. EXACTLY.
mcnabbulous
Sure, it does happen quite often, which is part of the problem. When guys are having their careers jeopardized because of a specific type of play, it's worth reevaluating if that play has a place in the game.

Like I said, if Jimmy or Utley were on the receiving end of a broken leg due to that type of play in 07-11, I can't image many of us would be praising it. Instead, we'd be questioning why it's still legal.

Simply put, it shouldn't be.
Robberson
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 14 2015, 12:15 PM) *
Sure, it does happen quite often, which is part of the problem. When guys are having their careers jeopardized because of a specific type of play, it's worth reevaluating if that play has a place in the game.

Like I said, if Jimmy or Utley were on the receiving end of a broken leg due to that type of play in 07-11, I can't image many of us would be praising it. Instead, we'd be questioning why it's still legal.

If the sight of athletes playing sports the right way makes your vagina leak, go watch tennis.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Robberson @ Oct 14 2015, 12:34 PM) *
If the sight of athletes playing sports the right way makes your vagina leak, go watch tennis.

You're so fucking tough, dude.

It's a fucking game. Dudes suffering completely preventable severe back injuries and broken legs is just about the dumbest possible thing imaginable. Then again, you've proven yourself the dumbest possible poster imaginable, so I'm not surprised.
Robberson
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 14 2015, 12:51 PM) *
It's a fucking game. Dudes suffering completely preventable severe back injuries and broken legs is just about the dumbest possible thing imaginable. Then again, you've proven yourself the dumbest possible poster imaginable, so I'm not surprised.

It's a sport. Injuries happen. Injuries are preventable to a degree, such as by making sure your footing is correct when reaching for a double play ball, instead of trying to be a ballerina and ending up on sportscenter. The problem is beta males like you ruining sports to make yourselves feel better. This is why grazing a quarterback's helmet is a penalty. Stick to tennis and figure skating - oh wait, should they ban triple axels too?
mcnabbulous
Totally preventable. Look at him dancing around there...

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/39049312/v254...es-into-scutaro

You're a fucking idiot. Regardless of your username of the year.
mcnabbulous
And yeah, grazing a QB's helmet is a penalty because they're trying to prevent QB's from getting their heads smashed in. Because, you know, 96% of former football players are testing positive for CTE.

Doing things to minimize the possibility of having to shut down the sport entirely is a-okay in my book. But then again, I'm not a fucking jackass.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 14 2015, 12:15 PM) *

It isn't legal. It just isn't called. Kind of like when they are turning a double play. The SS or the 2nd baseman doesn't really have to touch the base --- which is the rule --- he just has to be, "in the area".
Robberson
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 14 2015, 01:48 PM) *
I'm not a fucking jackass.

Of course you are - that's why you're digging up a 3 year old video of a hard slide to justify changing the rules now to reduce your vagina leakage. It's the same attitude that has turned the NFL into flag football. It's how the game is taught and played, and Scutaro most definitely knew he was risking it by staying planted in position like that instead of protecting himself. Just because your sports experience includes twirling in the camel position while wearing glitter and intramural leapfrog, doesn't mean you should be able to ruin traditional games that real men enjoy and play.

Tejada wanted to end up on sportscenter - he did. Just not the way he expected.
mcnabbulous
You think brain injuries = toughness.

While I don't think you're tough, I do suspect you've suffered a brain injury.

You also know a hell of a lot about figure skating moves, too.
nephillymike
There is a difference between the Scutero and Utley plays IMO.

Utley starts his slide at bag level, whereas the STL guy jumps across the bag and starts his slide clearly on the other side of 2nd base.

What makes this even more the no brainer for me, are the pics of Murphy and Wright doing it to Utley while with the Phils.

I will say it.

CHASE UTLEY YOU ARE THE MAN!!

There was a guy in our softball league who was notorious for sliding late, or not even sliding but staying upright late on a run to 2nd and SS's would try to avoid him with their throws and would eat the ball or throw wildly to avoid him. I said fuck it. Clocked him in the coconut with an 85 mph throw from SS. All of a sudden, he learned how to slide or get the hell out of the way. No regrets at all.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 14 2015, 10:05 PM) *
Utley starts his slide at bag level

Therein lies the problem, as far as I'm concerned. If you're starting at this point, you're making no attempt to actually stop at bag level.

I love Chase. In fact, months ago on this board, I described him as my favorite Philly athlete of all time.

I just don't think that type of play is good for the game. I'm all for breaking up a double play within the confines of good, aggressive play. That's not what happened here. Chase had no intention of finishing anywhere close to the bag.

It's a fine line, but I think it needs to be and will be addressed this offseason.
Robberson
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 14 2015, 10:18 PM) *
I'm all for breaking up a double play within the confines of good, aggressive play.

Clearly you aren't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.