Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few things that got my attention today
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
1. I think our defense can be a good defense. Still some concern over Maxwell, but even with his poor play, the secondary has played at least average. With our DL being top rate, and our LB being solid, I think it adds up to a good defense. The offense we had last year, plus a good defense, would have given us two more wins last year IMO.

2. I commend Chip for switching a few things up.

A. He varied the snap count.
B. He allowed a slow down a few times early to mid game to check the sideline for possible audibles. That was new.
C. He came out throwing the ball, which with our poor run blocking up until today, that was the best route.
D. They called throws for down the field

3. I thought Bradford played a decent game overall. Not great, not very good, but decent. That is his third RZ INT of the year, which need to be corrected pronto. I thought he stepped up in the pocket and threw with conviction. He does not see the field well and that pin point accuracy we heard of is not there. Also, the one time he decided to run, he needs to do so with more conviction. He ran scared. Put your head down and run!! If I were Chip, I would have made a point late in that game, to have Bradford run a read option or two where he kept the ball and ran a few yards. Not only to help remove his fear, but to get it on tape for future game preps. It was a no pressure situation and we should have put it on film.

4. 28-11-7. These numbers are unacceptable going forward. These are the carries, and receptions targets totals for Murray, Mathews and Sproles. I don't give a shit how much Chip the GM paid for Murray. We need to put the best players out there and having Murray soak up 61% of the targets/rushes is not the way to go.

5. If we assume we need at least two WR's on the field, then my chosen five most valuable weapons on offense are:

A. Sproles
B. R. Mathews
C. J. Matthews
D. Ertz
E. By default Cooper/Huff/Algholar.

I don't remember Sproles and R. Mathews being on the field together this year. They double teamed Sproles today. Think about that. They double teamed a RB coming out in passing routes! I put the E group out there to basically occupy a CB, so that one of B,C,or E gets LB coverage and the other two get S coverage. Chip needs to find a way to run offensive packages with these five weapons on the field together 60% of the time. Murray has done nothing to warrant playing 61% of the time. Cooper/Huff and Algholar have done nothing to earn playing more than 33% of the plays plus serve as a breather for J. Matthews. coaching is about getting your best players in positions to succeed and it starts with getting the right guys on the field. Chip the coach has no excuses. Can't worry about covering Chip the GM's ass.

Lastly, great win!!

Phits
I learned that we are capable of playing a full game and at the least we can move the ball.

Next Monday night is going to be exciting.
nd9kel
I learned this o-line can gut it up and put together a great pass protection and decent run production. Granted it was the Aints, but these boys are really banged up, and to show improvement was very, very encouraging to me.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 11 2015, 11:17 PM) *
3. I thought Bradford played a decent game overall. Not great, not very good, but decent. That is his third RZ INT of the year, which need to be corrected pronto. I thought he stepped up in the pocket and threw with conviction. He does not see the field well and that pin point accuracy we heard of is not there. Also, the one time he decided to run, he needs to do so with more conviction. He ran scared. Put your head down and run!! If I were Chip, I would have made a point late in that game, to have Bradford run a read option or two where he kept the ball and ran a few yards. Not only to help remove his fear, but to get it on tape for future game preps. It was a no pressure situation and we should have put it on film.

Mikey Mikey Mikey......Did you catch Sam with the missus?....I ahree the picks were poor decisions......butttt......other than that he played a very good game.......he was not pin point on every throw but he was on a hell of a lot of them including the 4 dropped passes......

I am starting to think that Sammy can't do anything well enough in your eyes short of winning the SB....

He had a pretty damn good game....

and for anyone who still doubts passer rating is not the dumbest stat ever...Brees had a rating 2 points higher than Bradford......
xsv
Other than the two horrible, horrible throws in the red zone that resulted in ints, he had a pretty good day.

Unfortunately, they counted.

His overall performance was OK. Not great. Just OK.

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 12 2015, 07:21 PM) *
Mikey Mikey Mikey......Did you catch Sam with the missus?....I ahree the picks were poor decisions......butttt......other than that he played a very good game.......he was not pin point on every throw but he was on a hell of a lot of them including the 4 dropped passes......

I am starting to think that Sammy can't do anything well enough in your eyes short of winning the SB....

and for anyone who still doubts passer rating is not the dumbest stat ever...Brees had a rating 2 points higher than Bradford......

mcnabbulous
He is an upgrade from what we had last year. Which is at least one positive that can be said. We have the rest of the year to determine whether he is worth investing in further.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 12 2015, 06:21 PM) *

Other than the shooting, the play was a good time!

I say decent, you say very good.

If Brees QB'd for us yesterday, shoulder strain and all, and Bradford QB'd for them, we would have won by more.

But I'm not holding him up to Brees standards.

Decent. Synonymous for above average.

That's all I'm giving out. It's not like I grade on the Kutztown curve.

Did you hear the stat that they mentioned on the radio? QB's who throw 2 RZ INT's lose the game 90+% of the time.

We dodged a bullet. The very good QB almost cost us the season.

But I am not going to harp on the bad. I was encouraged with what I saw.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 12 2015, 07:48 PM) *

If Brees QB'd for us yesterday, shoulder strain and all, and Bradford QB'd for them, we would have won by more.

Did you hear the stat that they mentioned on the radio? QB's who throw 2 RZ INT's lose the game 90+% of the time.

If my my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.....

decent is average....apparently you do grade on the Kutztown curve......I would have loved to have you as a professor...

and the fact that not only did he not lose but won by 3 scores speaks volumes...

I am not saying he was great but he had a pretty good game and a great one after the ints early..

Does it really surprise you that it has taken these guys a little time to get this system down? Under Reid they said it took 2-3 years.....I think they still have a ways to go but yesterday was very encouraging....now we will see if Kelly continues to do what has made him successful.....change everything up week to week.....
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 12 2015, 07:48 PM) *

Brees is done, finished, toast.

He turned the ball over 3 times, should have been 4 (Hicks) at least. And the stat whore that he is, he's still throwing to build up his stats down 39-10 with seconds to play.

If he played for the eagles at this point in his career, the midget that he is, it would be a disaster.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 12 2015, 10:07 PM) *
If my my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.....

decent is average....apparently you do grade on the Kutztown curve......I would have loved to have you as a professor...

and the fact that not only did he not lose but won by 3 scores speaks volumes...

I am not saying he was great but he had a pretty good game and a great one after the ints early..

Does it really surprise you that it has taken these guys a little time to get this system down? Under Reid they said it took 2-3 years.....I think they still have a ways to go but yesterday was very encouraging....now we will see if Kelly continues to do what has made him successful.....change everything up week to week.....

Many good points here and may I add...

Is it taboo or something to talk about the hands on these receivers? Cooper is what he is I get that but J Matthews just shows no signs of improvement. At least 2-3 drops again yesterday including an easy TD (wiped out by another Agular dumbass illegal pick but I digress).

Also, you watch wr's on GB and other great offensive teams and you just don't see drops in the red zone nor do you see wr's getting tackled near the goal line. They all seem to have a knack of getting the ball across the GL.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Oct 12 2015, 09:26 PM) *
Many good points here and may I add...

Is it taboo or something to talk about the hands on these receivers? Cooper is what he is I get that but J Matthews just shows no signs of improvement. At least 2-3 drops again yesterday including an easy TD (wiped out by another Agular dumbass illegal pick but I digress).

Also, you watch wr's on GB and other great offensive teams and you just don't see drops in the red zone nor do you see wr's getting tackled near the goal line. They all seem to have a knack of getting the ball across the GL.

No, not taboo.

Our WR corps is bad.

That was our choice.

We decided to go with a 2nd year WR, draft a WR, another 2nd year WR who didn't do squat the year before and the worst starting WR in the league last year. Hopefully someone other than Matthews steps up to be a level above bad. Maybe Huff will do something with a chance. Nobody else has.

I mentioned above who I would highlight in our offense, and it ain't the WR's.

I see people mentioned four drops.

The Cooper one, no doubt.

The one J Matthews one, I didn't think that was all on him. That was the one in the middle of the field and replay showed the ball was over a foot beyond his reach.

Anyone remember the other two?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Oct 12 2015, 09:22 PM) *
Brees is done, finished, toast.

He turned the ball over 3 times, should have been 4 (Hicks) at least. And the stat whore that he is, he's still throwing to build up his stats down 39-10 with seconds to play.

If he played for the eagles at this point in his career, the midget that he is, it would be a disaster.

Agreed. I can't believe this is up for debate. Amazing what happens to a genius like Sean Payton when he's saddled with a league average QB.

mcnabbulous
So I was in a car during the game yesterday and didn't get to watch the game. Just followed along on my phone. My god that first INT was an awful throw. I get what he was trying to do, but holy shit you just can't miss like that.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 13 2015, 03:47 AM) *
So I was in a car during the game yesterday and didn't get to watch the game. Just followed along on my phone. My god that first INT was an awful throw. I get what he was trying to do, but holy shit you just can't miss like that.

Both were horrible. Both throws should have been between the WR and the back of the end zone so that only the WR had a shot at the catch.

Hopefully it is just a little more rust coming off of Bradford.
nd9kel
From NJ.com:

Here are Sunday's numbers.

Sam Bradford: 32-for-45, 333 yards, 2 TDs, 2 interceptions, 88.5 rating, win

Nick Foles: 11-for-30, 141 yards, 1 TD, 4 interceptions, 23.8 rating, loss

Advantage: Bradford.

And for the season the numbers are:

Bradford: 120-for-190, 1,281 yards, 8 TDs, 6 interceptions, 83.7 rating, 2-3 record

Foles: 81-for-141, 956 yards, 6 TDs, 5 interceptions, 77.6 rating, 2-3 record

Advantage: Bradford

I agree: Those redzone interceptions had me jumping through the roof too. But at the same time Sam was carving through the NO defense like a hot knife through butter. Perhaps some more rust has to be shed after five games after a two year hiatus from the action. But I like the direction this thing is going. And whether the final score was 39-17 or 53-17, a win's a win, and it was fairly easy to get.
D Rock
Regarding the 2 red zone INTs...

Sam gets 100% of the blame for the first. It was atrocious. Loft that ball to the back corner of the end zone and it's an EASY 6. Bad Sammy.

The 2nd was just a great play by the corner. That happens sometimes. They're getting paid too.

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 13 2015, 01:45 PM) *
Regarding the 2 red zone INTs...

Sam gets 100% of the blame for the first. It was atrocious. Loft that ball to the back corner of the end zone and it's an EASY 6. Bad Sammy.

The 2nd was just a great play by the corner. That happens sometimes. They're getting paid too.

That's kind of how I saw it. I watched a replay of the first one several times. Still can't believe how poorly that was thrown.

The other one I only caught once, so I don't have a fully formed opinion on it.
CT_Eagle
The 2nd pick was just as bad. You throw the ball towards the back of the end zone so only your guy has a shot. The defender did make a
good play on the ball. A properly thrown ball would have made that good play damn near impossible.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 13 2015, 04:40 PM) *
The 2nd pick was just as bad. You throw the ball towards the back of the end zone so only your guy has a shot. The defender did make a
good play on the ball. A properly thrown ball would have made that good play damn near impossible.

I am on the side of the pass never should have been thrown, the cb jumped the route......the first pick was a bad throw....the 2nd was a bad decision.....and a great play
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.