Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to take a chill pill
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
I expected problems early in the season, maybe not this many, but with all the changes Chip made this off season the odds of it were likely. I always saw this a s a rebuilding year, and though we still have holes, there are fewer than last year. Given the real weakness has been the o-line, but with all the positions Chip tried to upgrade he had to take a gamble he could wait a year to address it. Gambled and lost, but it will be priority one next year.

For those who say Chip bolts for Texas next year, I highly doubt it. Chip, from everything I have read about him, is not someone motivated by the wealth that will be thrown at his feet. I think he would consider it a failure and if Lurie actually cans him he could end up coaching the Titans, wouldn't that suck?

Right now they are a hot mess, but I think they can improve, probably not in time to save this season, but who knows? We are 1 game behind the dreck in our division, so like I said...chill.
D Rock
The division sucks so bad that we could still win it.

Championshiiiiiiip!

Zero
I'm disappointed. That he didn't make some effort to improve the OL. That the team seems unprepared for their opponents. That there are so many injuries despite the sports science ballyhoo. That my expectations were unrealistic ... so far.

The last is the relevant point. I don't see this as Dream Team II.

I think Kelly is more embarrassed than any of the fans could be. I also don't think he'll leave, I think he'll council with his NFL coaches and make adjustments where they're needed. I think the team will improve this year and be closer to where we expect next year.

I hope.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Oct 5 2015, 07:49 PM) *
I expected problems early in the season, maybe not this many, but with all the changes Chip made this off season the odds of it were likely. I always saw this a s a rebuilding year, and though we still have holes, there are fewer than last year. Given the real weakness has been the o-line, but with all the positions Chip tried to upgrade he had to take a gamble he could wait a year to address it. Gambled and lost, but it will be priority one next year.

For those who say Chip bolts for Texas next year, I highly doubt it. Chip, from everything I have read about him, is not someone motivated by the wealth that will be thrown at his feet. I think he would consider it a failure and if Lurie actually cans him he could end up coaching the Titans, wouldn't that suck?

Right now they are a hot mess, but I think they can improve, probably not in time to save this season, but who knows? We are 1 game behind the dreck in our division, so like I said...chill.

I agree this is a rebuilding year --- that was obvious when he was given complete control and gutted the team in the off season and started bringing in a slew of new personnel --- but the thing that scares me the most is that the rebuilding is being done through free agency --- even Danny Snyder can tell you how well that works --- not the draft.

Maybe Chip is a genius and will pull it off, but if he doesn't have this team in the playoffs by next year and making some real noise, I don't think Jeff Lurie will be dumb enough to waste time getting rid of him like he did with Kotite, Rhodes and Reed.

Chip will go back to college and live happily ever after, never hearing from the NFL again, and we will still be in search of our first SB.

Just another day in Eagleville.
Robberson
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Oct 5 2015, 07:49 PM) *

Really, we're calling this a 'rebuilding year' already? What were your predictions on our record this year? As for Chip, if this debacle gets much worse and the media actually starts doing their jobs at press conferences, you're going to see a meltdown followed by a resignation.
Dreagon
As somebody who lives in the state, trust me when I say Chip doesn't want the job at Texas. Yes, they pay extremely well but they have one of the most entitled fan bases in the world, and the drama that goes with that program is off the charts. They have literally gotten so bad that other teams have left he Big 12 because they are tired of all the bullshit that comes from having to deal with them. Their current coach is in his second year and there are already howls for his head despite the fact he inherited a complete mess.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Dreagon @ Oct 6 2015, 12:37 PM) *
As somebody who lives in the state, trust me when I say Chip doesn't want the job at Texas. Yes, they pay extremely well but they have one of the most entitled fan bases in the world, and the drama that goes with that program is off the charts. They have literally gotten so bad that other teams have left he Big 12 because they are tired of all the bullshit that comes from having to deal with them. Their current coach is in his second year and there are already howls for his head despite the fact he inherited a complete mess.

Can confirm.

UT is an absolute nightmare situation for any coach at this point. The expectations are sky high and the talent is at all time lows. Not to mention that A&M is currently at the pinnacle of their success and Sumlin has Houston locked down from a recruiting perspective.

The media situation in Austin isn't quite as brutal as Philly, but there definitely aren't any other games in town. It's UT football, 365 days a year.
Birdman420
QUOTE (Robberson @ Oct 6 2015, 01:31 PM) *
Really, we're calling this a 'rebuilding year' already? What were your predictions on our record this year? As for Chip, if this debacle gets much worse and the media actually starts doing their jobs at press conferences, you're going to see a meltdown followed by a resignation.

The majority of the posters here had t he opinion that this was a rebuilding year the moment we knew chip was in charge of GM duties. You wouldn't know that because you weren't here.

Welcome to the board
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Oct 9 2015, 01:18 PM) *
The majority of the posters here had t he opinion that this was a rebuilding year the moment we knew chip was in charge of GM duties. You wouldn't know that because you weren't here.

Welcome to the board

This is easy enough to confirm. We have a thread with predictions for the season. Just review it. I know I for one did not expect a rebuilding
season when I made my prediction in that thread.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Oct 9 2015, 02:18 PM) *
The majority of the posters here had t he opinion that this was a rebuilding year the moment we knew chip was in charge of GM duties.

This was supposed to be a year in which we challenged in the play offs, not a year in which we regressed so we could start over again in 2016.
Dreagon
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 9 2015, 01:30 PM) *
This was supposed to be a year in which we challenged in the play offs, not a year in which we regressed so we could start over again in 2016.

I think this is the year you see whether or not your first pack in the 2016 draft is going to be a QB.
Robberson
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Oct 9 2015, 09:18 AM) *

Welcome to the board

It seems to me the 12-4 short bus was pretty packed. Talk radio was brimming with delusions of 13-3 and a Super Bowl ring. Chip sure as hell didn't give any indication that we were leaping back.

Apparently I've been here before, but thanks.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 9 2015, 02:30 PM) *

That was the fan base. Every year we hope for the best, with our blinders on. Look how stoked we got after a couple of pre-season series.
JeeQ
You don't "rebuild" a 10-6 team... Unless of course you're Chip Kelly
Phits
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 9 2015, 08:50 PM) *
You don't "rebuild" a 10-6 team... Unless of course you're Chip Kelly

....or if the 10-6 team is not all it's cracked up to be. If that 10-6 team is destined to be a mediocre team and not a contender. That same 10-6 team can easily go to the wayside and go 3-13 (like) Washington the following season....or flounder around the .500 mark for years a la SD Chargers There are plenty more examples: Jax, Houston, Cincinnati , Dallas, Detroit, Chicago, Carolina, Jets, Miami

All because your executive team didn't have the balls to step up and make the tough decisions. With the exception of Dallas, SD and Detroit the common thread is the absence of a franchise QB....but that's another discussion.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 9 2015, 08:08 PM) *
....or if the 10-6 team is not all it's cracked up to be. If that 10-6 team is destined to be a mediocre team and not a contender. That same 10-6 team can easily go to the wayside and go 3-13 (like) Washington the following season....or flounder around the .500 mark for years a la SD Chargers There are plenty more examples: Jax, Houston, Cincinnati , Dallas, Detroit, Chicago, Carolina, Jets, Miami

All because your executive team didn't have the balls to step up and make the tough decisions. With the exception of Dallas, SD and Detroit the common thread is the absence of a franchise QB....but that's another discussion.

Did it take balls to not resign Maclin?

Did it take balls to let Mathis go, or an overdose of ego?

Did it take balls to let Sconces and Fletch go or just decent eye sight and a film projector?
Eyrie
Tough decisions were made

- The decision to replace the dancing feet of McCoy with the North/South running of Murray and Mathews was meant to improve our offense.

- The decision to replace the disappointing Foles with the unrealised potential of Bradford had a large upside and limited downside.

- The decision to let Cole go and replace him with Graham meant accepting that Coles was near the end of his career

- The decision on how much Maclin was worth and how much to overpay him to stay

Easy decisions were made

- The decision to let Herremans go was a move towards youth, except we didn't replace him

- The decision to replace Williams and Bradley with the premier FA Maxwell was a good one

Dumb decisions were made

- The decision to cut Mathis when we hadn't replaced Herremans, let alone had two Gs ready to play

None of the above decisions were rebuilding, but only re-tooling. Experienced players were brought in to take us to the next level. In a rebuilding year we'd have been dumping the older and more expensive players so that young guys would gain experience whilst accepting that we would not be serious contenders for the division. Yet most experts took the same view as the fan base, that the decisions made were to take us to the next level and no-one suggested at the time that those decisions were intended to be one step back now and two steps forward next season.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 10 2015, 06:22 AM) *
None of the above decisions were rebuilding, but only re-tooling. Experienced players were brought in to take us to the next level. In a rebuilding year we'd have been dumping the older and more expensive players so that young guys would gain experience whilst accepting that we would not be serious contenders for the division.

By re-tooling, you are basically saying "what we have is no longer sufficient". With that notion, you are essentially risking the short term for long term gain. The new players (young or old) need time to acclimate into your system.

Yet most experts took the same view as the fan base, that the decisions made were to take us to the next level and no-one suggested at the time that those decisions were intended to be one step back now and two steps forward next season.

Most experts took that opinion after the pre-season, when more people got on board with Chip's vision. The moves were not initially widely accepted. Even then nobody expected the level of regression that we have seen this season. At minimum, most expected another 10 win season.

With that said, not every move/decision was a slam dunk. The initial rewards have been extremely underwhelming. However, sometimes you have to let the paint set to know the end result.
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 10 2015, 06:22 AM) *
Tough decisions were made

- The decision to replace the dancing feet of McCoy with the North/South running of Murray and Mathews was meant to improve our offense.

- The decision to replace the disappointing Foles with the unrealised potential of Bradford had a large upside and limited downside.

- The decision to let Cole go and replace him with Graham meant accepting that Coles was near the end of his career

- The decision on how much Maclin was worth and how much to overpay him to stay

Easy decisions were made

- The decision to let Herremans go was a move towards youth, except we didn't replace him

- The decision to replace Williams and Bradley with the premier FA Maxwell was a good one

Dumb decisions were made

- The decision to cut Mathis when we hadn't replaced Herremans, let alone had two Gs ready to play

None of the above decisions were rebuilding, but only re-tooling. Experienced players were brought in to take us to the next level. In a rebuilding year we'd have been dumping the older and more expensive players so that young guys would gain experience whilst accepting that we would not be serious contenders for the division. Yet most experts took the same view as the fan base, that the decisions made were to take us to the next level and no-one suggested at the time that those decisions were intended to be one step back now and two steps forward next season.

Were you absent during the 'dream team' season? I made no prediction for this year because I was afraid something like what we are seeing would happen . With the CBA all but eliminating real training camp, even Chip's high speed practices could not make up for the lack of physicality of the current preseason. Changing so many players makes it harder to get them to gel with practice time so limited now. I also think he was way too cautious with Bradford, dude is just now shaking off two years of rust. His biggest gamble was the O-line and that he F*cked up, with both tackles dinged already it ain't looking good, but hey...is it the end of the world? If the injury situation gets no worse and maybe improves I can see them getting better as the season progresses. I think there is real talent on this team, but it is out of sync so far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.