Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nobody is talking about
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
We allowed a 5 minute 80+ yard game winning TD drive to close out the game.

As bad as the offense was, we managed to turn it around in the 2nd half and handed the D a 4 point lead to defend.

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zero
41 minutes of defending when the offense was failing most of the time. Nope, the offense lost this in the first half ... again.
CT_Eagle
I cannot really put full blame on the defense. The TOP was heavily in Washington's favor. It would have been great to get a big stop there but
you cannot consistently expect the defense to play 40 minutes a game while the offense occasionally shows up for the 30 minutes a game.
mcnabbulous
That was a team loss. All 3 units sucked for significant periods.
JeeQ
"TOP Doesn't Matter" - Chip "The Genius" Kelly
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 5 2015, 01:07 AM) *

I gauge a defense by how many points they allow in a game. Anything under 20 should be good enough for a win. The D gave up 23 today
while playing 41 minutes. Considering the TOP, I will take 23.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 4 2015, 07:12 PM) *
I gauge a defense by how many points they allow in a game. Anything under 20 should be good enough for a win. The D gave up 23 today
while playing 41 minutes. Considering the TOP, I will take 23.

You don't consider the quality of the opponent as a variable?

They gave up 23 to Kirk Cousins. He is awful.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 5 2015, 01:16 AM) *

If the defense was not on the field for 41 minutes I would be more critical. You cannot consistently put a defense in that situation and expect
them to be consistently successful.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 4 2015, 08:16 PM) *

Exactly!

The dude sucks and you made him look like Rodgers today!

And the 41 minutes the D was on the field was because they couldn't stop that powerful offense on third down!!!

Awful loss laid at the feet of the OL, more drops and bad defense against a TERRIBLE offense/QB that was missing their #1 wr!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 4 2015, 07:23 PM) *
If the defense was not on the field for 41 minutes I would be more critical. You cannot consistently put a defense in that situation and expect
them to be consistently successful.

It was their own doing. They wouldn't have been on the field so much if they could have stopped Cousins occasionally.
Reality Fan
This is on Davis....TOP? Try this on for size.....in those 41 minutes Cousins threw 46 time.....and we sacked him once!

I am tired of hearing how great our front 7 are....we have 6 sacks through 4 games....and we get precious little pressure..

That is the issue with this team.....the offense will fix itself.....but the defense is not much different noe.....Davis is exactly what he was at every stop he has had....this team has a ton of talent and no idea how to use it....
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 4 2015, 08:04 PM) *
41 minutes of defending when the offense was failing most of the time. Nope, the offense lost this in the first half ... again.

The Redskins converted 50% of their 3rd downs. They allowed WAS to convert 3rd down on 3 separate occasions on the game winning drive. I don't care if you have been on the field for the entire game. When you give up a 90 yard TD leading drive in crunch time, that's on you. Washington started at their 10 and proceeded to dink and dunk the entire field. Their 2 longest completions came on our side of the field (14 yards & 12 yards).

You have the lead to protect. Isn't that one of the basic principles of defense?
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 5 2015, 01:29 AM) *
It was their own doing. They wouldn't have been on the field so much if they could have stopped Cousins occasionally.

So the offense gets a pass for not being able to sustain a drive for 30 minutes of football? The offense managed less than 3 minutes TOP on 2
possessions in the 1st quarter. I suppose that is the defenses fault.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 4 2015, 07:35 PM) *
So the offense gets a pass for not being able to sustain a drive for 30 minutes of football? The offense managed less than 3 minutes TOP on 2
possessions in the 1st quarter. I suppose that is the defenses fault.

No. I said this and was really clear about my opinion...

QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 4 2015, 07:07 PM) *

Phits
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 4 2015, 08:35 PM) *
possessions in the 1st quarter.

Inexcusable, but not the reason we lost this particualr game.

I suppose that is the defenses fault.

They allowed a 90 yard TD game winning drive. There's a reason that game winning drives are lauded. It demonstrates an ability to deal with the task at hand, regardless of what happened earlier.

There may be contributing reasons as to why were losing, but the reason we lost is because the D didn't "man up" when they had to. It's not a case of a lucky 60 yard TD bomb for the win. Washington methodically worked their way down the field and stole our victory from us.
nephillymike
Being a numbers guy, I thought this was going to be about

20 +4 = 24 > 23.

The four points being one missed XP and one missed 33 yd FG.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 4 2015, 09:06 PM) *
Being a numbers guy, I thought this was going to be about

20 +4 = 24 > 23.

The four points being one missed XP and one missed 33 yd FG.

Those points were missing before we took the lead. Once we had a fourth quarter lead, it became a new game.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 4 2015, 08:12 PM) *
Those points were missing before we took the lead. Once we had a fourth quarter lead, it became a new game.

The funny thing about football is that all points count the same on the scoreboard, regardless of when they are scored. We learned that lesson last week.
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 5 2015, 02:12 AM) *

The whole game counts. The TOP disadvantage that the D was dealing with in the 4th quarter was a result of the first half. Some stats have a
cumulative effect. Sticking with a running game is another example. The runs in the first half wear down the defense and then the running
is more effective as the game wears on.
mcnabbulous
What was the D's excuse in the first half when they couldn't get off the field? Including giving up another huge draw play on a third and long.

D Rock
I blame this on WRs and RBs.

16 drops in the season.

Somebody make a fucking play. None of them were tough catches.

Sorry, Darren-Nelson-Matthews-Matthews.... I hit you in the hands. My bad.

And Brent Celek is blocking like a 3 year old. Utter turnstile / Matador.

OLE'!!!!
Joegrane
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 4 2015, 07:46 PM) *
We allowed a 5 minute 80+ yard game winning TD drive to close out the game.

When did B. Maxwell go out of the game with an injury?
D Rock
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Oct 5 2015, 03:12 AM) *
When did B. Maxwell go out of the game with an injury?

Late 1st, early 2nd quarter by my recollection.
nephillymike
QUOTE (D Rock @ Oct 4 2015, 10:17 PM) *
Late 1st, early 2nd quarter by my recollection.

Correct.

And Rowe got picked on today. Thought he would carry over his success from last week.
Gibbs
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 4 2015, 08:16 PM) *

He is not awful! He's young with limited starting experience. He needs time to learn and grow which he is doing. He made some pretty damn good passes yesterday, oh....and plenty more when he sliced the Eagles apart for over 400 last year in a loss. You're not "awful" when you do that.

You know who's awful? Sam Bradford. He sucks ass bro. Deer in the headlights looking idiot. No toughness at all, no balls. Looks like a scarred rookie. Panics when someone gets near him. Holds the ball too long. Never would have traded Foles for that pussy. At least Foles had balls and would stand in there like a man and take hits.
Phits
QUOTE (Gibbs @ Oct 5 2015, 07:21 AM) *
Never would have traded Foles for that pussy. At least Foles had balls and would stand in there like a man and take hits.

No, instead you would give 3 first round picks (and a second) for your 3rd string QB. huh.gif
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Gibbs @ Oct 5 2015, 06:21 AM) *
He is not awful! He's young with limited starting experience. He needs time to learn and grow which he is doing. He made some pretty damn good passes yesterday, oh....and plenty more when he sliced the Eagles apart for over 400 last year in a loss. You're not "awful" when you do that.

You know who's awful? Sam Bradford. He sucks ass bro. Deer in the headlights looking idiot. No toughness at all, no balls. Looks like a scarred rookie. Panics when someone gets near him. Holds the ball too long. Never would have traded Foles for that pussy. At least Foles had balls and would stand in there like a man and take hits.

your description of Cousins sounds an awful lot like Kevin Kolb. Awful.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 5 2015, 08:36 AM) *
No, instead you would give 3 first round picks (and a second) for your 3rd string QB. huh.gif

That'll just about wrap it up for this conversation.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 5 2015, 01:36 PM) *

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Then let your ego maniac coach play him with torn knee ligaments and ruin his career.

#theRealGoldStandard
JeeQ
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 5 2015, 06:36 AM) *

Whoa... Whoa... Hold on there Phits... RGKnee is actually playing scout-safety now laugh.gif
Eagle2720

Let's be real here, the Redskins may have won but this "awful" quarterback you're talking about did throw 2 more touchdowns with 20 less yards on 16 less completions than that gem of a quarterback you got.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Oct 5 2015, 03:25 PM) *
Let's be real here, the Redskins may have won but this "awful" quarterback you're talking about did throw 2 more touchdowns with 20 less yards on 16 less completions than that gem of a quarterback you got.

I'm completely content with Washington believing that Cousins is their QB of the future for a long, long time.

Reality Fan

my dear confused Redskins fan......I realize life is tough for you...you follow a team that has averaged 6 wins a season over the last 10 years......now I know you will reply with the standard "how many trophies do the Eagles have?" reply because the Skins did win a SB 25 years ago.....I get that.....but since then you have had what? 7 seasons where you even finished over .500? 5 playoff appearances? I get you get excited about an early season win.....but relax...the season is young....

You already know how this will likely play out.....you will finish at or below .500 and think about next year....deep breaths my friend....deep breaths...
nephillymike
[quote name='Phits' date='Oct 5 2015, 08:36 AM' post='277032']
[/quote

Bwah!!

Good one Phits.

Do we have a "drop the microphone" emoticon?

If so, this is the place for it!!
samaroo
Good comebacks, all. But it is still disheartening that a Skins fan feels confident enough to talk about our QB and our GM. A Skins fan!

Sad times.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.