Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 9 - 7 prediction is looking kind of iffy right now
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
SAM I Am
I realize this is a completely rebuilt team, and I wasn't expecting to even make the playoffs this year, but man, I really wasn't expecting it to look this bad.
Zero
Well, I'm off of my 12-4 for sure. Playing like this they'll be lucky to win 4.
Eyrie
My signature is looking more accurate than my prediction mad.gif
Eagle2720
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 4 2015, 06:36 PM) *
My signature is looking more accurate than my prediction mad.gif

If we get to that point(which seems very likely right now) who would you want to draft?
Eyrie
The obvious need for that high a pick would be a QB. Which one? That will depend on who is the head coach next season, because a pick that high will cost Kelly his job.

OL, OLB and CB will also be on the list for our actual pick, which will be top ten at this rate.
JeeQ
If we lose the next two games than I'd say it's time to turn the 12-Win Bus into a 1st Round Tank

Our division is so bad though I'd still say we have a strong chance of winning it as this point
SAM I Am
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Oct 5 2015, 02:24 PM) *
If we lose the next two games than I'd say it's time to turn the 12-Win Bus into a 1st Round Tank

I would have absolutely zero respect for any owner, coach or player who would intentionally tank games for any reason.

And if I was a player and told to do that, I would ask to be put on the bench until I can be traded to another team.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 5 2015, 02:21 PM) *
The obvious need for that high a pick would be a QB. Which one? That will depend on who is the head coach next season, because a pick that high will cost Kelly his job.

OL, OLB and CB will also be on the list for our actual pick, which will be top ten at this rate.

Regardless of the outcome of this season, if Lurie fires Chip (after giving him all of the power) he will join the likes of Snyder. Needless to say the likelihood of his dismissal is highly unlikely.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 5 2015, 09:50 PM) *
Regardless of the outcome of this season, if Lurie fires Chip (after giving him all of the power) he will join the likes of Snyder. Needless to say the likelihood of his dismissal is highly unlikely.

Having given Kelly all that power, it's impossible to disassociate him from the outcome of using that power. And if that outcome is a top five pick, then Kelly has to go and a new coach brought in who can use that high pick to start his rebuilding job.

It would be madness to keep the coach responsible for such a poor record, let alone to give him another year of complete control. Even if you wanted to keep Kelly as head coach, how do you get him to accept the de facto demotion that would result from bringing in a proper personnel guy to be his equal?

Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 5 2015, 04:50 PM) *

Funny, I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly fires Kelly the GM. This mess looks like coaching and preparation malfunctions.
mcnabbulous
It's only madness if the owner was disallusioned regarding the state of the team that the coach inherited.

We were a mess when Chip arrived. Lurie knows you can't win without a QB. He knows Chip didn't have one in Foles. He was willing to gamble that Bradford might be a hidden gem.

Even if that turns out to not be the case, how bad off are we? Being a mediocre, no hope franchise isn't difficult to achieve. The Redskins missed on a QB early in the draft and gave up three additional premium picks and they're still capable of winning games. That same shitbox franchise went to the playoffs in the one year they got premium QB play out of that high pick.

If you don't have a QB, there is literally no harm in doing anything and everything possible to acquire one. All of the other ancillary pieces can come together quickly if you have that.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 5 2015, 05:51 PM) *
Funny, I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly fires Kelly the GM. This mess looks like coaching and preparation malfunctions.

It is funny how people used to bitch about how Andy's only quality was just how well prepared his team looked on a weekly basis.

That part isn't so easy to figure out, it seems.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 5 2015, 05:44 PM) *
Having given Kelly all that power, it's impossible to disassociate him from the outcome of using that power. And if that outcome is a top five pick, then Kelly has to go and a new coach brought in who can use that high pick to start his rebuilding job.

It would be madness to keep the coach responsible for such a poor record, let alone to give him another year of complete control. Even if you wanted to keep Kelly as head coach, how do you get him to accept the de facto demotion that would result from bringing in a proper personnel guy to be his equal?

After a single season (of full control), this theory doesn't hold water. It's based on the assumption that the powers that be expected anything other than a re-building year. Lurie isn't that irrational. He leaves that to us....the fan base. Other than our expectations from the pre-season, there was nothing to indicate that this was a play-off bound team.

The rational thought process would be to let this season play out so that we know where we stand heading in to free agency and the draft. If by the end of the season there is still no cohesion (not based on wins, but by the on-field play), I could see Kelly's position being threatened by a repeat performance next season.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 5 2015, 04:44 PM) *

I was thinking about this.

As an observer of his beloved team, how can Jeff not think that he made a big mistake giving Kelly the GM job?

And if he wants it back, it would seem like Kelly would quit rather than accept the demotion.

Lurie's decision is either be patient for another year, or find both a new HC and a new GM.
Dreagon
9-7 would probably win the NFC East this year.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 5 2015, 07:58 PM) *
As an observer of his beloved team, how can Jeff not think that he made a big mistake giving Kelly the GM job?

Probably because Jeff had realistic expectations and understands (better than us) that it will take time to build a winning team that is capable of being a legitimate contender.
D Rock
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 6 2015, 12:44 AM) *
Probably because Jeff had realistic expectations and understands (better than us) that it will take time to build a winning team that is capable of being a legitimate contender.

Phits, it's so boring agreeing with you.

Stop it.

Now.

mad.gif
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 6 2015, 12:58 AM) *
I was thinking about this.

And if he wants it back, it would seem like Kelly would quit rather than accept the demotion.

Lurie's decision is either be patient for another year, or find both a new HC and a new GM.

Correct.

QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 6 2015, 01:44 AM) *

But if this season is a disaster then the evidence points to having the wrong man in place to build that winning team, in which case the sooner we look elsewhere the better. It's similar to Mcnabbulous' point about QBs - if you don't have a good GM and head coach then you're going nowhere.

We all want Kelly to turn this round, but we also need to have some proof that he can do so. Blind faith isn't enough.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 6 2015, 06:15 PM) *
But if this season is a disaster then the evidence points to having the wrong man in place to build that winning team, in which case the sooner we look elsewhere the better. It's similar to Mcnabbulous' point about QBs - if you don't have a good GM and head coach then you're going nowhere.

We all want Kelly to turn this round, but we also need to have some proof that he can do so. Blind faith isn't enough.

Again, it is all depending on your expectations. I can't imagine a scenario where Lurie would expect a contender in year one of a re-building/re-branding process. There has to be a minimum of 3 years to see how it pans out. Besides in order for it to be a disaster, you would need more than a single season to properly evaluate. You see what's happening in Jax.....that's a disaster.

As for blind faith, Chip was hired without any NFL experience. I believe that equates to blind faith.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 6 2015, 11:48 PM) *
Again, it is all depending on your expectations. I can't imagine a scenario where Lurie would expect a contender in year one of a re-building/re-branding process. There has to be a minimum of 3 years to see how it pans out. Besides in order for it to be a disaster, you would need more than a single season to properly evaluate. You see what's happening in Jax.....that's a disaster.

A rebuilding process is what a new coach undertakes, or someone who has had success here for several years and has a proven track record.

So why are we in year one of a rebuilding process under a coach who has only been here for two full seasons?

As for blind faith, Chip was hired without any NFL experience. I believe that equates to blind faith.

And the evidence is starting to mount against that blind faith, which is why my blind faith is wavering.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 7 2015, 06:00 PM) *
So why are we in year one of a rebuilding process under a coach who has only been here for two full seasons?

Simply, the first season was an aberration. Nobody expected much from a team that had previously gone 4-12. That success forced the team to try and build upon it in the second season. Reality struck last season. The team's make up wasn't a SB calibre team.

More importantly, this is Chips first year as GM. I don't know for certain, but Chip probably leveraged that team's inability to compete into a power move. Thus he became GM, as well as HC. Now he has complete personnel control. Thus year one of a re-tooling process.

And the evidence is starting to mount against that blind faith, which is why my blind faith is wavering.

Replacing Chip means that you will have to put your blind faith into another person. Since it is impossible to predict how another person would do in either the HC or GM position...it's still blind faith.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 8 2015, 12:21 AM) *
Replacing Chip means that you will have to put your blind faith into another person. Since it is impossible to predict how another person would do in either the HC or GM position...it's still blind faith.

So my choices are blind faith in someone different, or blind faith in defiance of the evidence?

I can work that one out quicker than our OL can let the opposing DL hit our RB for a loss.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 8 2015, 03:44 PM) *
So my choices are blind faith in someone different, or blind faith in defiance of the evidence?

Is it your contention, that after 4 games, Chip Kelly is a failure as GM? Isn't it more reasonable that a full season, let alone a quarter of a season, isn't enough time to evaluate the failure/success of an administration?
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Oct 8 2015, 09:34 PM) *
Is it your contention, that after 4 games, Chip Kelly is a failure as GM? Isn't it more reasonable that a full season, let alone a quarter of a season, isn't enough time to evaluate the failure/success of an administration?

I'd agree that a full season is necessary, but the early signs are not good. What makes it worse is that the main failing is one that I spent most of the offseason bitching about.

I want Kelly to turn things round, and he'll deserve to stay if he does. Big "if" though.
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Oct 8 2015, 06:09 PM) *
I'd agree that a full season is necessary, but the early signs are not good. What makes it worse is that the main failing is one that I spent most of the offseason bitching about.

I want Kelly to turn things round, and he'll deserve to stay if he does. Big "if" though.

I'll reserve judgement until the end of his second year as GM. My biggest concern is that we become just good enough to win the weak NFC East and give a false sense of hope. Too many people are focussed on (simply) making the post season. What we need is a team that can compete for the long haul. That may require an 'off season'.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.