Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Saw this startling stat
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
They had it on yesterday's Philly Sports Talk (I think or maybe Quick Slants)

Bradford is 0-7 on passes travelling greater than 20 yards in the air. The big thing there is he only threw 7 times that far.

However, he is only at 33% completion rate for passes between 10-20 yards. 33%!

I forget what it was for 0-10, but I know he was 88% completion rate for passes behind the LOS.

The way he's playing, the only thing keeping him in the game is the $13M the GM paid him.

He needs to get a pair of balls and hang in the pocket, go through all his reads, not just the first and second, and step into the throws and throw the ball with authority. And some times that has to be down the fucking field.

His pass pro has been pretty good, the LB's are crowding the line not giving our RB's much room and he's playing Check Down Charlie.

And add in two or three QB keepers on the read option. Give your OL and RB's a better chance.

If he does no perform well this week, I make the switch.

BTW, my media source says that if he doesn't start 50% of the games, we get back a 4th from STL. We still lose the 2nd but we get back a 4th. According to him, it isn't injury related. He says Schefter concurs. Take it FWIW.
Zero
Listening to the radio today, I forget who it was, someone commented on his bad mechanics. Said he was favoring his bad leg and was relying solely on his arm.
JeeQ
If he manages to win 8 games this year that'll be his best season in his NFL career

Just let that sit in your mind for a moment...
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 30 2015, 09:10 PM) *
If he manages to win 8 games this year that'll be his best season in his NFL career

Just let that sit in your mind for a moment...

I am starting to worry about him...especially listening to him acknowledge the lack of deep throws....his reasoning was alarming...

I would still have taken the chance regardless of how poorly he performs...it was a risk worth taking but he is not looking good....

one bright spot is that he gambled on himself and did not want the extension the Eagles offered him so we are not in any deeper with him than this year
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 30 2015, 08:48 PM) *
I am starting to worry about him...especially listening to him acknowledge the lack of deep throws....his reasoning was alarming...

I would still have taken the chance regardless of how poorly he performs...it was a risk worth taking but he is not looking good....

one bright spot is that he gambled on himself and did not want the extension the Eagles offered him so we are not in any deeper with him than this year

RF,

You are scaring me.

I come here so you and Nabby can tell me everything will be just fine with our QB. Even you guys are worried! What's a "chicken little" like myself going to do? (BTW, chicken little in the scheme of an 11-5 one playoff win projection).

Man oh Man.

This guy has GOT to come through.
mcnabbulous
They aren't benching him for Sanchez. It's not happening.

Whether they renew him next season is a different story. Sanchez won't be starting this season if Bradford is healthy.

He needs to be dramatically better. Let's hope the game starts to slow down down for him. I do think we all are underestimating just how difficult it is to reaclimate to the speed after nearly two years off.

If he's not significantly sharper in the second half of the season, we are in trouble. Fortunately, our division is so bad, we can be mediocre until then and still stay in the mix.

Regardless, I don't know how this team can expect to go into Lambeau in January and knock off the Packers. Our SB chances may already be bust.
make_it_rain
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 30 2015, 08:10 PM) *
The way he's playing, the only thing keeping him in the game is the $13M the GM paid him.

I would agree with this, also I think it would take Kelly A LOT to admit he was wrong on this guy and sit him. I just can't see the guy admitting he was wrong on a player and basically lit 13M on fire.

And add in two or three QB keepers on the read option. Give your OL and RB's a better chance.

I was wondering why they don't do this, hell they used to run it with Foles and he ran like a giraffe. Maybe they/he is hesitant coming off of the injury, which would also help explain why he has been so tentative when it comes to throwing the ball too.

I've wondered what it would take to actually make the switch, if Kelly would do it at all. You would think that if Bradford keeps playing like he has for the next few weeks the Eagles should be out of contention by week 8 at which point it makes sense to just cut your losses and recoup the draft pick. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Chip was stubborn enough to go down with the ship on this one though.

The one common argument I've heard against switching is "You know what you've got with Sanchez, Bradford has more upside", which very well may be true. But :
A. I can't see Sanchez being much more of a drop off from Bradford's current level of play and
B. the team very nearly made the playoffs with Sanchez last year, and while he's certainly not good, he's at least serviceable, familiar with the system and playing with an improved defense (albeit also with a worse line/run game)

If Bradford plays as bad as hes played for the first three games (or worse), I think there's a chance they switch, and almost definitely before week 8. If Bradford improves slightly, but still struggles overall, then it gets murker. I think Kelly sticks it out, provided they are remotely in contention.

Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 30 2015, 09:54 PM) *
RF,

You are scaring me.

I come here so you and Nabby can tell me everything will be just fine with our QB. Even you guys are worried! What's a "chicken little" like myself going to do? (BTW, chicken little in the scheme of an 11-5 one playoff win projection).

Man oh Man.

This guy has GOT to come through.

Sorry Mikey...but I call them like I see them....

Even Snachez throws the ball downfield....maybe, now that his shoulder is 100 % he will perform even better than last year which was not terrible..

What worries me is listening to Bradford explaining why they have not gone downfield....listen to him or read it and it scares the hell out of you because either Kelly, Shurmur, Bradford or all 3 are fucked in the head..
Zero
QUOTE (make_it_rain @ Sep 30 2015, 11:14 PM) *
... it makes sense to just cut your losses and recoup the draft pick.

I'm with you on everything you say except this part. What do mean, "recoup the draft pick"?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Oct 1 2015, 04:57 AM) *
I'm with you on everything you say except this part. What do mean, "recoup the draft pick"?

The Eagles are said to get back a 4th round pick from STL if he doesn't start 50% of the games. We still lose the 2nd but would get back a 4th.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 30 2015, 09:51 PM) *
They aren't benching him for Sanchez. It's not happening.

Whether they renew him next season is a different story. Sanchez won't be starting this season if Bradford is healthy.

He needs to be dramatically better. Let's hope the game starts to slow down down for him. I do think we all are underestimating just how difficult it is to reaclimate to the speed after nearly two years off.

If he's not significantly sharper in the second half of the season, we are in trouble. Fortunately, our division is so bad, we can be mediocre until then and still stay in the mix.

Regardless, I don't know how this team can expect to go into Lambeau in January and knock off the Packers. Our SB chances may already be bust.

Why didn't anyone allow that excuse for Sanchez last year?

He missed the previous season with a shoulder, had to learn a new system etc.

And what did he do on his first play when he came into the game?

He threw the ball down the field!!

I think as average of a QB Sanchez was last year, he wins two more games with an average defense.

Now you may argue that our defense isn't good enough to be average, but they are closer to that than last year's.

One more game is my patience meter.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 1 2015, 06:08 AM) *
The Eagles are said to get back a 4th round pick from STL if he doesn't start 50% of the games. We still lose the 2nd but would get back a 4th.
I'd rather have Sam playing the way he did in GB, but if he's a flop then having two thirds and two fourths will help offset the loss of the second. sad.gif
Zero

Bradford is 0-7 on passes travelling greater than 20 yards in the air. The big thing there is he only threw 7 times that far.

I don't watch the All 22 so I don't know what's open. In the Atlanta game Bradford didn't have good protection and the run sucked. Going downfield would be risking his knee and his psych. There wasn't much difference against Dallas except the pass pro was improved. The Jets have a strong secondary that had unbelievable INT stats coming into that game so it made sense to keep an underachieving QB from playing into their strength.

Listening to Bradford here I get the impression he's saying that Kelly is holding him back. Either that's deflecting responsibility or Kelly is trying to control his progress as a way of getting him where he wants him to be. Bradford also seems to intimate that they just might open it up this week.

BTW, my media source says that if he doesn't start 50% of the games, we get back a 4th from STL. We still lose the 2nd but we get back a 4th. According to him, it isn't injury related. He says Schefter concurs. Take it FWIW.
Sorry I missed that earlier.

BTW, FWIW Barrett Brooks said that he thinks the 'deer-in-the-headlights' eyes on Bradford is just the way he looks. Says it's the same in a game, doing interviews and most of the time you see him.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 1 2015, 05:12 AM) *
Why didn't anyone allow that excuse for Sanchez last year?

He missed the previous season with a shoulder, had to learn a new system etc.

And what did he do on his first play when he came into the game?

He threw the ball down the field!!

I think as average of a QB Sanchez was last year, he wins two more games with an average defense.

Now you may argue that our defense isn't good enough to be average, but they are closer to that than last year's.

One more game is my patience meter.

So you think Sanchez is better just because he is willing to go deep?

I personally think Bradford this year has been about as good as Sanchez was last year. And I think we saw Sanchez's ceiling...and are watching Bradford's floor.

Bradford's biggest issues right now are related to the speed of the game. He's rushing all his decisions. He's going to get better (which will have him better than Sanchez). How much better is a different story.
D Rock
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 1 2015, 02:16 PM) *

I personally think Bradford this year has been about as good as Sanchez was last year. And I think we saw Sanchez's ceiling...and are watching Bradford's floor.

Bradford's biggest issues right now are related to the speed of the game. He's rushing all his decisions. He's going to get better (which will have him better than Sanchez). How much better is a different story.

Yup.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Oct 1 2015, 08:16 AM) *

No.

I think Sanchez coming off of a year injury to his arm, a more critical part of a QB, played a hell of a lot better than Bradford has and he would have played better than Bradford has so far.

Bradford just may be what his career stats say he is.

His career stats first three games predicted very well what he would be here.

I think he should be better in this offense, but man he is trying what little patience I have. He's flat out sucked.

That needs to change Sunday.
Speed_Kills

I forget what it was for 0-10, but I know he was 88% completion rate for passes behind the LOS.

He needs to get a pair of balls and hang in the pocket, go through all his reads, not just the first and second, and step into the throws and throw the ball with authority. And some times that has to be down the fucking field.

His pass pro has been pretty good, the LB's are crowding the line not giving our RB's much room and he's playing Check Down Charlie.

Yep and while we are at it let's forget the fact that he's thrown a million passes already with no run game prior to last week and has been sacked a total of 2 times (TWO).

How many times would Sanchez have been sacked? Hmmmm....

And that the Eagles are in the top 3 (I think they even LEAD) in drops through 3 weeks!

Deep balls huh? Well Sproles dropped a 85 yard TD Sunday and the week before Cooper had one go right through his hands. Hmmmm

Does Sam have a ways to go? No question.

There is much work to be done with trusting his new guys, and maybe one day, who knows, this Agular kid will actually catch a ball that isn't perfectly thrown??? Hmm, well probably not.

But I agree, it's time for Mr Butt fumble....
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Oct 1 2015, 09:20 PM) *
No.

I think Sanchez coming off of a year injury to his arm, a more critical part of a QB, played a hell of a lot better than Bradford has and he would have played better than Bradford has so far.

Bradford just may be what his career stats say he is.

His career stats first three games predicted very well what he would be here.

Holy smokes, mikey ... you're starting to sound knee jerk. If they hadn't of gotten Bradford or some other potential SB QB people would have been deriding them for staying with Butt-Fumble Sanchez. I do agree he needs to show signs of progress, but the offense as a whole needs to improve, especially QB and receivers.

All you say may be right, but we have to give it time to develop. For me, the sticky part will be if Bradford develops slowly and by December is only OK and they give him a top $$ extension. I'll be fine if he's only OK and they extend him for a year or two at a team friendly deal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.