Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Defense
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
After that first half against the Falcons the D has been pretty good. Are they really getting better or is it who they're playing? The Cowboys were playing short handed and the Jets were playing without stars. Of course, the Eagles were without their two starting ILB and starting DE yesterday too.

The offense is wasting this team's start. Imagine if they were playing like we thought they would.
mcnabbulous
I think they're improved, but I also don't think they were as awful as everyone said last year. Hopefully the overreaction to Julio Jones' performance is realized, based on what he is doing to everyone.

Our offense needs to play better, much like we needed to do last year. It starts with Bradford. He needs to step up his game.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 28 2015, 06:56 AM) *
After that first half against the Falcons the D has been pretty good. Are they really getting better or is it who they're playing? The Cowboys were playing short handed and the Jets were playing without stars. Of course, the Eagles were without their two starting ILB and starting DE yesterday too.

The offense is wasting this team's start. Imagine if they were playing like we thought they would.

The secondary acquitted themselves quite well today. That is nice to see instead of it just being Malcolm Jenkins you can say that about.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 28 2015, 06:56 AM) *

For what it's worth PFF has Thurmond rated as the #2 safety.
Zero
They're doing better than I thought:
Through three games, the Eagles lead the NFL in rush defense, allowing just 3.1 yards per carry. They're fourth in red-zone defense, allowing touchdowns on only 40 percent of opposing drives inside the 20, and they're ninth-best in the league on third down.

They're also third in the NFL in both takeaways with eight and interceptions with five.
Linc ...
Zero
I'm surprised to read this about the secondary:
The secondary, meanwhile, was considered a potential weakness in the offseason. But after the win against New York, the Eaglesí defense ranks in the top-10 in interceptions, opponent passer rating and yards per throw allowed.

Perhaps the only unit that has played close to expectations is the defensive front seven. The Eagles rank first in the NFL in rushing touchdowns given up (0) and yards per carry allowed (3.1).
Linc ...

The beasts up front are helping the DBs. From all I read and hear, Davis needs to keep Maxwell playing to his strength instead of trying to force him to be something he's not. Thurmond is a nice surprise as S as is Carroll. The D is starting to shape up nicely. jumpclap.gif
Pbfan
I dont want to be a downer but i really think we need to hold our breath before saying the d is good. I feel like most of the snaps we have played wad against poor qb, injured wrs or overall bad offenses. That may sound a little too begative, but you have to admit it hasnt been the most trying of offenses weve had to defend against
Reality Fan
QUOTE (Pbfan @ Oct 2 2015, 12:43 AM) *
I dont want to be a downer but i really think we need to hold our breath before saying the d is good. I feel like most of the snaps we have played wad against poor qb, injured wrs or overall bad offenses. That may sound a little too begative, but you have to admit it hasnt been the most trying of offenses weve had to defend against

No...I think you have a valid point......except for the 2nd half of the Atlanta game and the first half of the Dallas game....

It will be interesting to see how they do against some quality QBs....which we won't see for awhile with Brees having a bum shoulder...

Quality starts week 12 or 13....unless Romo comes back sooner
CT_Eagle
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Oct 2 2015, 05:12 PM) *
No...I think you have a valid point......except for the 2nd half of the Atlanta game and the first half of the Dallas game....

It will be interesting to see how they do against some quality QBs....which we won't see for awhile with Brees having a bum shoulder...

Quality starts week 12 or 13....unless Romo comes back sooner

Even the first half of the Dallas game is not a good gauge. Without Dez Bryant the Dallas passing attack would struggle to be called average.
Zero
QUOTE (CT_Eagle @ Oct 2 2015, 01:03 PM) *
Even the first half of the Dallas game is not a good gauge. Without Dez Bryant the Dallas passing attack would struggle to be called average.

Though I agree with you that it's too early and the opponents have been weakened, here's a nice article that discusses the technique and how it's improved the DBs. Here ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.