Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Really hoping it's rust
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
But Bradford's accuracy is just horrendous early. I'm less concerned about his decision making than most. I just can't believe how many balls he hasn't put where they needed to go.

Hopefully it's just a matter of getting used to game speed and his teammates, but that was the quality I really expected more from him.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 27 2015, 05:00 PM) *
But Bradford's accuracy is just horrendous early. I'm less concerned about his decision making than most. I just can't believe how many balls he hasn't put where they needed to go.

Hopefully it's just a matter of getting used to game speed and his teammates, but that was the quality I really expected more from him.

And some passes are pinpoint accurate. So he definitely has the skill. I'm thinking it is just a matter of getting familiar with each other in the real games.
nephillymike
I hear you and I hope so too.

It's worrisome.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Sep 27 2015, 04:58 PM) *
And some passes are pinpoint accurate. So he definitely has the skill. I'm thinking it is just a matter of getting familiar with each other in the real games.

He seems to throw the wheel routes really well, which is great -- because it's such a huge part of our offensive philosophy.

Where he has really struggled is the middle of the field. Two specific passes to Agholor stand out in that respect.
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 27 2015, 06:09 PM) *
He seems to throw the wheel routes really well, which is great -- because it's such a huge part of our offensive philosophy.

Where he has really struggled is the middle of the field. Two specific passes to Agholor stand out in that respect.

Didn't he throw a wheel behind Mathews that caused a loss of yards on third down?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 27 2015, 05:22 PM) *
Didn't he throw a wheel behind Mathews that caused a loss of yards on third down?

A little bit, but I put the blame on that one 70% Mathews, 30% Sam. He should have caught it.

He had that great throw to Sproles on the wheel that Sproles dropped. As much as I love Sproles, his hands have nto been great the last two years. My guess is on that play, he may have not seen it coming from behind the helmet of the LB. Great throw by Bradford.
mcnabbulous
I can't recall the one you're referring to, Z. His TD throw to Mathews was another example of a great one.

Zero
I think ... maybe ... a lot of us assumed he would hit the ground running in this offense because it was similar to OK. I keep having nightmares of the Dream Team Redux but hope what we've been seeing is a bunch of good, dedicated players who will eventually mesh but aren't there yet ... Bradford included. These guys on both sides of the ball are still getting to know one another.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 27 2015, 05:30 PM) *
I can't recall the one you're referring to, Z. His TD throw to Mathews was another example of a great one.

I think it was after the TD play, it was coming out of the flat on Bradford right, alone with a LB. Mathews was running expecting the ball to be over his right shoulder toward the side line, but the ball was on the left side closer to the LB. It wasn't wheel route, but it was a 5 yard pass to the flat with nobody behind it. He was open whatever side he threw it and Mathews had to turn slightly around to his left and dropped it. On the telecast they said it was a TD. He should have caught it, thus the 70% blame on Mathews, IMO.
Zero
That's not the one I meant. The one I'm talking about he was on Bradford's left and the ball was delivered behind him on his right shoulder. He had to pause and turn to catch it and that delay gave the LB the second he needed to hammer him for a loss. If the ball had led him he probably would have had 10+ yds and a first.
Speed_Kills

He's a BIG trust guy. If he doesn't trust you he tends to miss rather than try to stick one in. He's always been that way.

Practice and a few early hook ups will help matter.

As for today, win ONE was the most important thing to accomplish. No it was not pretty by any means, but much better than a pretty loss that is for sure.

I was concerned that after the defense got worn out vs Dallas (85 snaps) they'd be flat but hats off to that side of the ball, today was their W all the way!
Joegrane
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 27 2015, 06:09 PM) *

Veteran backs are running those and there is little question about how they will run the route.

I wonder how much of the problems in the passing game is due to young receivers running routes in a way Sam does not expect. I recall a comment or two by Chip about receivers running incorrect routes.

In contrast, Matthews had a reputation as a smart guy. Maybe Bradford only trusts him and Ertz in the passing game along with simple passes to the backs.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 27 2015, 07:52 PM) *
Veteran backs are running those and there is little question about how they will run the route.

I wonder how much of the problems in the passing game is due to young receivers running routes in a way Sam does not expect. I recall a comment or two by Chip about receivers running incorrect routes.

In contrast, Matthews had a reputation as a smart guy. Maybe Bradford only trusts him and Ertz in the passing game along with simple passes to the backs.

The mistake route I remember him mentioning was Huff.
Reality Fan
Mikey...I have to join you in the worried department though...

He really does check down almost immediately....

not good....

on the bright side we did not sign him longterm......was worth the risk but if he can't throw deep this offense is in trouble because no defense will play honest
Zero
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 28 2015, 12:08 AM) *
Mikey...I have to join you in the worried department though...

He really does check down almost immediately....

not good....

on the bright side we did not sign him longterm......was worth the risk but if he can't throw deep this offense is in trouble because no defense will play honest

Any Hurricane fans out there?
"I thought he threw a beautiful football, He's got a big arm. He won the 'Air It Out' challenge, which they do on the final night there, which is a test of accuracy. Stephen Morris has got great mechanics." - Mike Mayock on Morris at the Manning Academy, 7/18/2013
Sanchez is signed for next year. Who knows what's going to happen with Bradford ... will he develop chemistry with his receivers? Will he get more comfortable in this offense and will the young receivers grow up? If Bradford and Sanchez are both back next year I'm betting Morris becomes a coaching project and fights it out with a mid to late round draft pick and/or a FA.
mcnabbulous
Here is a good breakdown (with gifs) of his first half poor throws. I personally thought #6 was the most egregious example. He has to make that throw.

Looks like #3 was the one Z was referring to. Admittedly, I didn't get to watch our first 2 drives, so I had missed a few of them.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/day-after-revie...d-against-jets/
mcnabbulous
Lots of similar stuff here, but the very last gif shows a packaged play where Sam appears to simply make a terrible read. That's concerning. Maybe even more so than the poor throws.

http://chipwagon.typepad.com/eagles/2015/0...s-continue.html
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 28 2015, 10:18 AM) *
Here is a good breakdown (with gifs) of his first half poor throws. I personally thought #6 was the most egregious example. He has to make that throw.

Looks like #3 was the one Z was referring to. Admittedly, I didn't get to watch our first 2 drives, so I had missed a few of them.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/day-after-revie...d-against-jets/
I think it was #2. I said wheel guess it was a screen thus DKD. smile.gif Are these videos that I'm not loading?
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 28 2015, 10:34 AM) *
I think it was #2. I said wheel guess it was a screen thus DKD. smile.gif Are these videos that I'm not loading?

Yeah, I meant #2. It was a screen.

They're gifs.
Robberson

Rust from what?! The handful of games he had 2 years ago where he looked like an NFL QB? If you look closely at his picture, he appears to be cross-eyed, or to have a lazy eye or something. Perhaps he's having trouble seeing his targets.
Speed_Kills
Much to do about nothing imo.

Can you make a tough catch once in a while? I mean you lead the league in drops after 3 weeks.

The ball to Austin on the first drive hits the pilon in the back corner of the EZ, which is exactly where that ball is supposed to be thrown.

The throw to start the second half is a dart down the right sideline and would have (if no flag and not dropped) been a long gain.

How about the low snap where he fields it, keeps his composure and throws a frieakin dart right in stride to Sproles which he drops?

And Matthews in the 1st half when he gets tackled at the 1/2 yard line, all he has to do is catch it and turn UP FIELD and it's a td. He has not had a great start to this season.

Agular in the first half, Sam protects him over the middle with a low ball so he doesn't get killed but the kid makes a poor attempt at what would have been a very good catch for him but routine for a seasoned "good" NFL wr.

Yeah he misplaced a couple swing passes to Matthews but even Matthews dropped w big gainer.

Did anyone watch the BRONCOS Sunday night? People are PRAISING Manning but the two td passes, one to Thomas and the other to Daniels where OUTSTANDING catches, NEITHER of which would have been caught by any Eagle receiver that I've seen so far, those would have both been blamed on the QB.
nd9kel
^ THIS. Bradford "created" Danny Amendola. Yes, there is still a period of feeling out between QB and receivers, but it's coming. Now that we can see that Atlanta is not a fluke, we can appreciate that Bradford sliced and diced them in that second half.

BTW, I can't praise the O-line enough for giving the passer time.
JeeQ
I'm clearly no Bradford defender but the WRs have to take equal blame here... I've seen numerous dropped touchdown passes that were right on the money. Miles Austin in particular seems allergic to catching anything thrown his way

Luckily I believe these things can be fixed with more practice
Phits
He could have had a 4TD game if not for the drops

QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 29 2015, 01:52 PM) *
I'm clearly no Bradford defender but the WRs have to take equal blame here... I've seen numerous dropped touchdown passes that were right on the money. Miles Austin in particular seems allergic to catching anything thrown his way

Luckily I believe these things can be fixed with more practice

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 29 2015, 01:28 PM) *
He could have had a 4TD game if not for the drops

Let's not go overboard here. Mathews wasn't scoring on that one play, especially considering Bradford didn't throw a good ball.

Where are you getting 4 from?

I was a big believer in Bradford. Thus far, he has let me down. The receivers need to be better though.

Phits
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 29 2015, 03:20 PM) *
Where are you getting 4 from?

It was sarcasm, based on the comments of the previous posters.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 29 2015, 02:37 PM) *
It was sarcasm, based on the comments of the previous posters.

My sincerest apologies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.