Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More thought to blame Kelly
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Zero
I don't think this has been posted or discussed yet, the absence of the zone read in the offense and Kelly's apparent failure to adapt. We all talked about how stubborn Reid was, and think that's not uncommon for HCs. They believe in what they're doing and both Kelly and players have pointed to execution as the culprit. Stubborn is one thing, but Kelly also seems smart enough to move from "what works" to "something else that works", if you get the point.
... the zone read has all but disappeared from Chip's offense in the first 2 weeks of the 2015 season. Note, I am referring to "zone read" as any play where the QB reads a defender or creates the illusion of reading post snap to make a decision to run or pass.

So we need to ask why this has disappeared. The simple answer that everyone will give you is that it is because we have an immobile, one-legged Sam Bradford as our QB. Yes, there is some truth to that but it doesn't explain why he continued to run zone read with guys like Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez.
If you aren't going to take advantage of the advantage running from the Shotgun provides; why run from Shotgun? Especially when your franchise running back barely ran out of Shotgun during his career in Dallas!!
... there are compromises you can build into your scheme to still allow you to do the things you do, and Chip has employed them in the past, I'm just not sure where they were in Week 2 in a big divisional matchup.
People have for some reason taken for granted that Bradford would just pick up the new scheme and playbook without issue. Perhaps it's because the Eagles pride themselves on keeping the playbook smaller and simpler. But it seems obvious to me that with Bradford at QB, the Eagles haven't opened up the playbook wide enough.
mcnabbulous
Yeah I was just reading this:
http://chipwagon.typepad.com/eagles/2015/0...e-to-blame.html

A few of us have mentioned a seeming lack of the packaged plays. This is a nice breakdown.
Dreagon
So we need to ask why this has disappeared. The simple answer that everyone will give you is that it is because we have an immobile, one-legged Sam Bradford as our QB. Yes, there is some truth to that but it doesn't explain why he continued to run zone read with guys like Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez.

Huh? I would think it DOES explain why he would continue to run it with the other two.

And yes, Murray ran out of the shotgun sometimes at Dallas. But that was in an offense where the QB was willing to throw the deep ball, and Murray's presence in the backfield could just as easily be explained by his blocking ability. The way Kelly is currently running it, seeing Murray in the backfield of a shotgun is going to make the DC either think run or screen pass...or at least consider the odds high enough to have a safety or linebacker key on him.

And since it seems like it takes a few possessions for your offense to warm up anyway, Kelly should really consider taking a few shots downfield early in the game just to keep the safeties more honest.
nephillymike
Great article.

I think he is on to something.

They haven't been running the zone read look. True they only run it with a QB run a few times but the illusion is mandatory IN THIS OFFENSE.

I think the reason they don't IS because of Bradford and was impacted by the ruling, a ruling BTW, that didn't change and if you remember me last year saying that if I were a DC, I'd hit the QB on every read option play.

However, IN THIS OFFENSE, you need to run this and run that look a lot. And you need your QB to keep the ball 5 or so times this game and take the five yards and slide.

If he isn't capable of doing this, get him out of the game as you have the wrong QB for THIS OFFENSE.

I would think $13M would be enough to give a QB the guts to run about four or five run and slides per game for the sake of his team.

I do it early this week and more than once.

But that's me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.