Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: If we are going to be contenders this year...
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
Can't go down 0-2 in conference, and 0-1 in the division on one of our home games.

Sure, we could come back from that kind of deficit, but its not likely. I want it to be likely.
nephillymike
I will add the following why this is a must win:

If DAL wins this game with them being so shorthanded, it will mean a mixture of two things:

They are better than us.
We are not as good.

Being as they are, that would not be good for our chances of winning the division and you can't get all the goodies that come with a division title (playoffs, home games, poss byes)

Also, it would mean that we would have lost 5 of 6, while being favored in five of them. That would be a confidence killer, not only for fans, but I think for some of our new players who may not be as sold in our way as others that were here for a while are.

A MUST WIN.
Phits
Sorry Guys. I don't buy it. There's no such thing as a week 2 must win game.
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 19 2015, 03:43 AM) *

There may be fourteen games left to recover, but the odds will be against us for the reasons given by xsv and Mikey. I'd add that a loss would mean we would need to win in Dallas or they'd have the tie-breaker over us.

Win tomorrow and it's us who have the initial advantage and the Cowpukes playing catch up.
Zero
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 18 2015, 10:43 PM) *

I have to agree with mikey too, mostly the logic that they are weakened in this game. If we can't beat an injured team at home the chances of beating them later, in their house aren't good.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 19 2015, 07:39 AM) *
I have to agree with mikey too, mostly the logic that they are weakened in this game. If we can't beat an injured team at home the chances of beating them later, in their house aren't good.

The prey is most dangerous when injured.
SAM I Am
If the Birds go down to the cowturds tomorrow, the season is over?

In the immortal words of John McEnroe:

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!

I don't care if both games were against division opponents, to say that the season is over after two games is insane.
Joegrane
Yes, that is my view as well.

Eagles have a chance to improve, but I like the Boys' chances to improve more.

Eagles have the new offensive line, young receivers, new QB, rebuilt secondary, etc; however, the Boys are missing several very important contributors. Eagles are healthy except at the deepest position--ILB

If they loose this one, their chances for the playoffs are not good. I'll no longer like my prediction of 10 wins.

QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 19 2015, 07:39 AM) *

Eyrie
No one is saying that our season will be over if we lose this evening, but the serious point is that we'd be two games behind Dallas who would have the head-to-head advantage and a solid start to the division record as well, so even winning two games would not put our noses in front for the division title.

We could make the playoffs after a 0-2 start, but even that would be difficult.

The cold hard reality is that this is as close to a must-win game as you can have in week two.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (xsv @ Sep 18 2015, 09:58 PM) *
Can't go down 0-2 in conference, and 0-1 in the division on one of our home games.

Sure, we could come back from that kind of deficit, but its not likely. I want it to be likely.

My response to this is, remind me again what the Eagles record was after THREE games last year? And how did that end up?

Way too early for must wins my friend, though they will get the W today so don't fret.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Sep 20 2015, 04:59 AM) *
No one is saying that our season will be over if we lose this evening, but the serious point is that we'd be two games behind Dallas who would have the head-to-head advantage and a solid start to the division record as well, so even winning two games would not put our noses in front for the division title.

The cold hard reality is that this is as close to a must-win game as you can have in week two.

Historically, 0-2 teams have a 12% chance of making the playoffs, and most of those are as wild card first round road entries, a road that few, if any, had us traveling.

Forgetting the odds for a minute, a loss today would mean we aren't that good! That would speak louder than any historical odds calculations.

Need to win today!
xsv
You think that someone saying it's not likely we can come back from an 0-2 deficit is the same thing as someone saying the season is over?

You've got to be joking!!

Seriously, you should probably work on your reading comprehension. You're probably getting all sorts of things wrong
xsv
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Sep 20 2015, 06:33 AM) *
My response to this is, remind me again what the Eagles record was after THREE games last year? And how did that end up?

Oh, you mean out of the fucking playoffs?

Thanks for emphasising my point! :-)
Phits
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Sep 20 2015, 05:59 AM) *

You can also miss the playoff's after a 3-0 start. The reality is that every season is filled with highs and lows. I would love to win every game, but if I were to pick my poison I would rather a slow start than a slow finish.

Historically, 0-2 teams have a 12% chance of making the playoffs, and most of those are as wild card first round road entries, a road that few, if any, had us traveling.

It's easy to find supporting statistics to support an argument (no offense Mikey).
Eyrie
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 20 2015, 06:00 PM) *
You can also miss the playoff's after a 3-0 start. The reality is that every season is filled with highs and lows. I would love to win every game, but if I were to pick my poison I would rather a slow start than a slow finish.

Since we're all just killing time before kick off, I'm going to pick an argument with you tongue.gif

Losses in a slow start count as much as losses in a slow finish when it comes to the final record. The only difference is if you make the play offs, when the strong finish gives momentum.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.