Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Defenses Are Going to Play Us Tight
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pila
Atlanta figured to play bullish in the short zone. They guessed right. Until the medium to deep range have hits, or starts looking menacing, teams are going to jump everything short.

Sunday Bradford is going have to take advantage of the defensive jump to short yardage shit and hit someone on the vertical or we're one-dimensional.
nephillymike
Seems like common sense to me, but most seem happy with the dink and dunk approach.

Did we throw any balls that traveled over 25 yards in the air?

Even the Austin miss seemed it was under that.
Dreagon
That's probably why you guys had difficulty running the ball. Atlanta had their safeties cheated up a lot of times, and were never made to pay for it.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 16 2015, 06:34 AM) *
... most seem happy with the dink and dunk approach.

DKD response: Dink and dunk worked pretty effectively for Joe Montana for quite a few years. If the D is stacking the line to stop the run and getting pressure on the passer, and the dink and dunk gets you 5 - 10 a pop without a sack or runs for loss I don't see the problem. Wasn't Walsh's concept that a short pass is as good as a run?
Phits
Take what the defence gives you and exploit it. Dink and dunk are high percentage plays and keep the chains moving. This is especially important when your offensive line is (still) trying to gel.
nd9kel
Seems like Bradford was finding very open receivers in spite of the shorter routes. THAT I like!
Birdman420
I don't see a problem with our short yardage schematics. I think the announcers made a great point when they showed the audience a visual of an NFL field and how its 53 and some odd yards wide(that's a lot to defend laterally).

It's about getting the ball in the hands of our guys and letting them make the play. Chip is about match-ups and he will likely bet on his wr breaking coverage or a tackle after the catch for a gain.

Sam can throw deep, there isn't a problem there. Pretty sure a few of our wr's can run the deep routes too but we need to remove ourselves from that mindset and let 11 on 11 play and hopefully our 11 is better.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Birdman420 @ Sep 16 2015, 10:08 AM) *
I don't see a problem with our short yardage schematics. I think the announcers made a great point when they showed the audience a visual of an NFL field and how its 53 and some odd yards wide(that's a lot to defend laterally).

It's about getting the ball in the hands of our guys and letting them make the play. Chip is about match-ups and he will likely bet on his wr breaking coverage or a tackle after the catch for a gain.

Sam can throw deep, there isn't a problem there. Pretty sure a few of our wr's can run the deep routes too but we need to remove ourselves from that mindset and let 11 on 11 play and hopefully our 11 is better.

Right on, brother.
Eyrie
Some things in favour of the dink and dunk approach.

Bradford has a fast accurate release, so the ball gets to the receiver quickly.

It moved the chains against Atlanta.

Our interior OL* sucks, so we don't have time for deep plays to develop.

*I just wish someone on here had had the foresight to predict that putting two luke warm stiffs on the OL creates two weaknesses, regardless of how good the Ts and C are. And if only they'd raised that topic prior to FA, during FA or as part of our draft strategy. Or when deciding which under contract players to release. ITYS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.