Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles Offensive Plays and Touches/Targets Per player
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
I looked at last year's actual plays, snap counts, rushing attempts and passing targets by player and position.

Here are some detail for the offensive skill positions last year. I'm concerned there aren't enough footballs to go around.

Last year:

We ran 1127 offensive plays
We averaged 2.74 WR/play, 1.07 RB/play and 1.40 TE/play
Looked at another way:

We played 3 WR 75% of the time, 2 WR 25% of the time
We played 1 RB 93% of the time, 2 RB 7% of the time
We played 1 TE 60% of the time, 2 TE 40% of the time

Here was the distribution of total rushing attempts and targets per game by player:

1. McCoy 21.8
2. Maclin 8.9
3. Sproles 7.4
4. J. Matthews 6.4
5. Cooper 5.9
6. Ertz 5.6
7. Celek 3.2
8. Polk 3.0
9. Huff 1.2
10. Burton 0.3
11. Maehl 0.3
12. Casey 0.2
13. B. Smith 0.2
=============
Total RB = 32.2 = 50.0%
Total WR = 22.9 = 35.5%
Total TE = 9.3 = 14.5%
Total All = 64.4 Touches and Targets Per Game

In putting our guys in the best positions to succeed, IMO, the top talent we have on offense is:

1. Murray
2. J. Matthews
3. Sproles
4. Algholar
5. R. Mathews
6. Ertz

I also use Sproles out wide A LOT. He will be more of a 3rd WR option than our 3rd WR will. We are think at WR, stocked at RB. I use that and divide up the 64. touches and targets as follows:

Total RB = 39 (Murray 18, Sproles 11, Mathews 10)
Total WR = 19 (Matthews 8, Algholar 7, Cooper 1, Huff 1, Austin 1, Others 1)
Total TE = 6 = (Ertz 5, Celek/Burton 1)

Even with the increased allocation to the RB's there's not enough for them and it leaves Ertz with only 5 per game.

Keep in mind that these are rushing attempts plus targets, so Sproles may get 3 carries plus 8 targets of which only 5 result in receptions.

Last year we averaged 26 rushes per game for our RB's. If we go up to 29, maybe we get 17 for Murray, 9 for Mathews and 3 for Sproles. Doesn't seem like enough to go around. Would Murray be happy with 1200 yards? Mathews with 650? Ertz happy with 80 targets and 50 catches?

Does Chip the non communicator have it him to keep people happy?

A good problem to have, but it may be a problem nonetheless.

mcnabbulous
One thing that will help is that we are going to run a lot more plays this year.
Joegrane
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 11 2015, 11:35 PM) *
One thing that will help is that we are going to run a lot more plays this year.

I also can see that happening due to the following:

Bradford's history of below average yards per pass completion.

Bradford's accuracy will extend drives.

Lack of big play talent--home run hitters--such as McCoy & Maclin.

N/S RBs

Defense improved and more likely to get off the field.

Fewer turn-overs by the O.

Fewer TDs likely by the special teams, therefore more drives by the O.

The D should be improved regardless of any changes on O; however, if the O is more efficient as we can expect with Bradford and the N/S RBs, they will consume more clock and reduce TOs, providing more rest for the D. The improved O can make the D look even better.

In short, success cures lots of ills in the locker room.

I hope that O Line holds up and the secondary gels fairly quickly. I fear it is too much to expect the DBs to have gelled by Monday night! That set of receivers should have a good game vs the birds. Hopefully the Eagles O will out perform them even though they'll be on the road on Monday Night.

I suppose Atlanta is not known for a raucous crowd, however I don't know if that is because of their stadium, the many Christian churches or the amount of lithium in their drinking water : )

Zero
I think this hits on the release of those players who may have been more focused on 'me' than 'team' and underlines the importance of his culture theme.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 11 2015, 11:07 PM) *
I looked at last year's actual plays, snap counts, rushing attempts and passing targets by player and position.

Here are some detail for the offensive skill positions last year. I'm concerned there aren't enough footballs to go around.

Last year:

We ran 1127 offensive plays
We averaged 2.74 WR/play, 1.07 RB/play and 1.40 TE/play
Looked at another way:

We played 3 WR 75% of the time, 2 WR 25% of the time
We played 1 RB 93% of the time, 2 RB 7% of the time
We played 1 TE 60% of the time, 2 TE 40% of the time

Here was the distribution of total rushing attempts and targets per game by player:

1. McCoy 21.8
2. Maclin 8.9
3. Sproles 7.4
4. J. Matthews 6.4
5. Cooper 5.9
6. Ertz 5.6
7. Celek 3.2
8. Polk 3.0
9. Huff 1.2
10. Burton 0.3
11. Maehl 0.3
12. Casey 0.2
13. B. Smith 0.2
=============
Total RB = 32.2 = 50.0%
Total WR = 22.9 = 35.5%
Total TE = 9.3 = 14.5%
Total All = 64.4 Touches and Targets Per Game

In putting our guys in the best positions to succeed, IMO, the top talent we have on offense is:

1. Murray
2. J. Matthews
3. Sproles
4. Algholar
5. R. Mathews
6. Ertz

I also use Sproles out wide A LOT. He will be more of a 3rd WR option than our 3rd WR will. We are think at WR, stocked at RB. I use that and divide up the 64. touches and targets as follows:

Total RB = 39 (Murray 18, Sproles 11, Mathews 10)
Total WR = 19 (Matthews 8, Algholar 7, Cooper 1, Huff 1, Austin 1, Others 1)
Total TE = 6 = (Ertz 5, Celek/Burton 1)

Even with the increased allocation to the RB's there's not enough for them and it leaves Ertz with only 5 per game.

Keep in mind that these are rushing attempts plus targets, so Sproles may get 3 carries plus 8 targets of which only 5 result in receptions.

Last year we averaged 26 rushes per game for our RB's. If we go up to 29, maybe we get 17 for Murray, 9 for Mathews and 3 for Sproles. Doesn't seem like enough to go around. Would Murray be happy with 1200 yards? Mathews with 650? Ertz happy with 80 targets and 50 catches?

Does Chip the non communicator have it him to keep people happy?

A good problem to have, but it may be a problem nonetheless.

Mikey.....

please tell me that your date night with the wife does not involve Excell spreadsheets.....

You worry me sometimes.....lol
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 12 2015, 03:28 PM) *
Mikey.....

please tell me that your date night with the wife does not involve Excell spreadsheets.....

You worry me sometimes.....lol

Nah.

Date night, during football season???

I am about to put the finishing touches to an excel spreadsheet for a football pool I run every year. Got to get it done by tomorrow.

You don't see an issue getting people enough touches?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.