Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Changes to the safety rule(s)
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Phits
This adjustment to the rules hasn't been talked about much. TBH, I wasn't even aware of the change. For the other ignoramus' out there see below....

A safety is now possible for either team and will be worth one point. Rule 11-3-2-c states: “If the try results in what would ordinarily be a safety against either team, one point is awarded to the opponent.”

In the past in the N.F.L., if an extra point was blocked, it would be declared dead if a defender got hold of it. Under the new rules, he can try to return it, possibly even all the way for a touchdown, which would be worth 2 points.

Perhaps a defensive player recovers the ball in the field of play, and while returning it he retreats into the end zone and is pulled down there. That will be a 1-point safety for the kicking team.

LINC
xsv
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 10 2015, 06:27 PM) *
This adjustment to the rules hasn't been talked about much. TBH, I wasn't even aware of the change. For the other ignoramus' out there see below....

LINC

So, I guess there's 2 new ways to score. The way I'm reading this is...

If, during an extra point or two point conversion, if the try is unsuccessful, and the defensive team returns a live ball to the opposite end zone, then its two points. I can see this happening from time to time.

And, if during am extra point or two point conversion try, the defense recovers a fumble or gets and interception, and retreats into the same end zone, and is tackles, it will result in 1 point. Sounds confusing. And I doubt it would happen very often.
Zero
So if the D recovers and returns it the length of the field it's worth 1 point, not 6? And if the O fumbles and downs it in the end zone it's worth 1?
xsv
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 10 2015, 06:56 PM) *
So if the D recovers and returns it the length of the field it's worth 1 point, not 6? And if the O fumbles and downs it in the end zone it's worth 1?

It's not real clear. But my best guess is...

For your first question, the old rule was the the try was unsuccessful, and the ball is dead. No points. Sounds like the new rule they can return it for 2 points (not 1)

For your second question, no if they are gong for 2 fumble and the qb retreats all the way back to the opposite end zone, the d would get 1 point, as opposed to 0 points they would get under the old rule.
Zero
Sounds stupid to me. Why they keep changing things?
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (xsv @ Sep 10 2015, 07:51 PM) *
It's not real clear. But my best guess is...

For your first question, the old rule was the the try was unsuccessful, and the ball is dead. No points. Sounds like the new rule they can return it for 2 points (not 1)

For your second question, no if they are gong for 2 fumble and the qb retreats all the way back to the opposite end zone, the d would get 1 point, as opposed to 0 points they would get under the old rule.

a defensive player recovers the ball in the field of play, and while returning it he retreats into the end zone and is pulled down there. That will be a 1-point safety for the kicking team.

I kind of read it where if the D gets the ball, retreats back to the end zone in a return attempt and is tackled there, then the O (kicking team) gets a point.

xsv
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 10 2015, 09:16 PM) *
I kind of read it where if the D gets the ball, retreats back to the end zone in a return attempt and is tackled there, then the O gets a point.

Yeah, either the offense or defensexcan get a point. What you described is onexway the offense can get one. The way I described is one way the defense could get one.
Phits
X.. This how I understand it as well. It would also apply to blocked extra point attempts.

I like it. It adds another dimension to the not so exciting extra point attempts.
TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 10 2015, 09:24 PM) *
X.. This how I understand it as well. It would also apply to blocked extra point attempts.

I like it. It adds another dimension to the not so exciting extra point attempts.

Not trying to argue, but do we want the extra points to be exciting? I am going to lose my mind if we lose a game because we miss one.

Really interested in the impact over the course of a full season.
Phits
QUOTE (TO's Sharpie @ Sep 10 2015, 10:06 PM) *
Not trying to argue, but do we want the extra points to be exciting? I am going to lose my mind if we lose a game because we miss one.

I have always thought that the extra point is useless. A TD should be 7 points. However, if there must be an extra point there should be some value to it for both sides. Prior to the rule change it was only an advantage for the offense. Now with the extra point (kick) moved to the 15 yard line, at least the kicking play is no longer considered "automatic" and the defense has something else to play for.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 10 2015, 08:01 PM) *
Sounds stupid to me. Why they keep changing things?

Z. As the saying goes "Change is inevitable. Change is constant." Don't blame the NFL, blame nature devil03.gif
nephillymike
QUOTE (TO's Sharpie @ Sep 10 2015, 09:06 PM) *

By making the XP longer, they turned an almost etched in stone 99.5% play to about a 94% accurate play.

In a league, who I think would try to de-emphasize kicking, just makes kicking the reason for a factor in 6% more games during the year, you just got to scratch your head.

We've increased the chances that a kicker will be the reason for the outcome of games. Doesn't seem smart.
TO's Sharpie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 11 2015, 08:29 PM) *
By making the XP longer, they turned an almost etched in stone 99.5% play to about a 94% accurate play.

In a league, who I think would try to de-emphasize kicking, just makes kicking the reason for a factor in 6% more games during the year, you just got to scratch your head.

We've increased the chances that a kicker will be the reason for the outcome of games. Doesn't seem smart.

Good stat - which makes this a total head scratcher to me. I am with you, I just don't understand why anyone would want more importance put on the kicking game.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.