Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boykin beat out for the slot CB job in Pitt
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
mcnabbulous
Pretty interesting turn of events. Maybe Chip knows what he is doing.
nephillymike
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/9/...-nickel-outside

Maybe even 4th CB?

We'll see how he does. They were happy with him early on after the trade. Wonder what happened?

Keep in mind this.

In order for a coach to "know what he's doing", the guy who replaces him on our team needs to play at a higher level than the guy who left, and the guy who left needs to be proven not to be that good.

Boykin being #3 or #4 would be preliminary proof to the latter. Rowe/Biggars/Rice/Whomever ain't doing much for the former.

Warrants watching. Need to check out the snap counts.

Reality Fan
The only positive stuff I saw on Boykin was before he played a snap for Pitt.

Maybe he needs to learn their scheme....
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 8 2015, 11:10 PM) *
http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/9/...-nickel-outside

Maybe even 4th CB?

We'll see how he does. They were happy with him early on after the trade. Wonder what happened?

Keep in mind this.

In order for a coach to "know what he's doing", the guy who replaces him on our team needs to play at a higher level than the guy who left, and the guy who left needs to be proven not to be that good.

Boykin being #3 or #4 would be preliminary proof to the latter. Rowe/Biggars/Rice/Whomever ain't doing much for the former.

Warrants watching. Need to check out the snap counts.

It's better if he gets 60% obviously. But if he had been playing equal to or worse than Sheppard had been, would you still think it was a foolish trade knowing that he'd probably leave after the season? Maybe he'd be better than who's there now, but at the time it sure looks like Kelly made the best decision for the Eagles. I'm really not sure how Kelly can be criticized for the trade at this point.
Joegrane
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 8 2015, 09:00 PM) *
Pretty interesting turn of events. Maybe Chip knows what he is doing.

If this is a rebuilding year, it makes sense. It will give younger players an opportunity to get experience. However, if they want to make a deep run, I'd like to have Boykin on the field. The guy rarely looks bad and has a knack for making plays. Don't forget that he made quite a few nice plays as Gunner on punt coverage as well. He can be a backup return man. The guy can play and in a contract year would have been motivated to be at his best.

I fear the loss will be greater to the Eagles than we will receive in a 5th rounder. Maybe it will allow the Eagles to move up in the 3rd or 4th rounds to get the player that fits a need or the system rather than someone who is just okay.
mcnabbulous
As we watch Brady shred this Steelers' secondary, we must ask ourselves, "why can't Boykin get on the field?"

Or we should stop doing that and just acknowledge that he must not be very good.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 10 2015, 09:15 PM) *
As we watch Brady shred this Steelers' secondary, we must ask ourselves, "why can't Boykin get on the field?"

Or we should stop doing that and just acknowledge that he must not be very good.

We should probably wait until a few more games, or if not, at least be consistent and ask why after watching team after team shred our DB's last year, ask why, our then veteran CB, Carroll, was not good enough to get on the field last year!!

I'd prefer not to think about the latter and wait for the former to play itself out.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 11 2015, 06:48 AM) *
We should probably wait until a few more games, or if not, at least be consistent and ask why after watching team after team shred our DB's last year, ask why, our then veteran CB, Carroll, was not good enough to get on the field last year!!

I'd prefer not to think about the latter and wait for the former to play itself out.

a convenient opinion for one who was certain that Boykin was a great player......

Have you considered that they saw Boykin as having 1 very lucky year and that Boykin proved that last year and continues to prove that this year?

Maybe, just maybe, the head coaches of 2 organizations who have seen him in practice every day just might know a little bit about him? I understand you not trusting Kelly.....but now Tomlin as well? On a team in worse shape than the Eagles right now in their secondary.
nephillymike
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steel...-in-first-game/

Not one defensive snap, only 9 ST's snaps.

We'll see. My guess is he's a slow learner in that system and will see a decent amount of time but it will be below the 60% trade sweeter.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 11 2015, 08:49 PM) *
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/09/steel...-in-first-game/

Not one defensive snap, only 9 ST's snaps.

We'll see. My guess is he's a slow learner in that system and will see a decent amount of time but it will be below the 60% trade sweeter.

I was wondering....I looked for his number all night and never saw it.....

I am as surprised as you that he did not crack the lineup at all......I was not a big fan but their secondary is really bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.