Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thoughts THEN and NOW?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Speed_Kills
With less than a week before the Eagles first game I was wondering how folks have come around, or not come around to "the trade" of Foles & a 2nd round pick for Bradford.

What where your thoughts at the time of the trade, and what are they now?

It's understandable that some will have the same feelings, some have changed their minds one way or the other, etc.

Let's here'em!
Zero
I said he was a stud then and I got hammered. I'm a blind squirrel. Feed me, Sam! laugh.gif
Eyrie
I'll wait to see how the two perform in real games but right now I'd say Bradford's promising to make that a good deal.
nephillymike
At the time of the trade, I didn't like the trade.

My thought was that if Bradford was any good, he would have put up better stats than the 79 Passer rating and 18-30 career record he posted.

I have some friends in STL who were happy to be rid of him and as season ticket holders they've seen a lot of him.

I wasn't concerned about the injury risk but the risk that he wasn't any good.

On the other hand, I was frustrated with Foles fucked up mechanics. I had never seen anything like that and to this day don't know how they couldn't snap him out of it. Truth be told, Sanchez played better than him in training camp and during the regular season and it appears the rumors that Chip didn't want Foles to hurry back so he could keep Sanchez may be true.

If Foles is who he was last year, then I thought Bradford would be an improvement but not enough to get us in the top two tiers of QB, which to me, is necessary to have a shot at a SB these days. Under that scenario, neither would be good enough to get us the goal so why give up $12M of cap space and a 2nd round pick.

If Foles is who he was two years ago, then Bradford would never be better than him and it was a bad deal for us.

Again, I never focused on the injury.

Where Bradford appears to be now, is a guy capable of being good enough to be a top two tier QB (top 11 range) and Foles doesn't appear headed there. If that is the case, then it was a deal worth taking because you need to qualify for the dance to win it. If he is legit top 11, then he can get us a ticket to qualify for the dance.

I do think we need to put the brakes on a little. He's played four series. While I don't think he'll be the 79 QB he was before, there were reasons he was that other than the team excuse and he needs to overcome those things to be better. The system will get him from bad to average, however, from average on up, it is on him to make those strides. As of now, it looks good that he will.

Fingers crossed.

2015-1960 - 55
D Rock
Liked it then, love it now.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 8 2015, 09:38 PM) *
At the time of the trade, I didn't like the trade.

My thought was that if Bradford was any good, he would have put up better stats than the 79 Passer rating and 18-30 career record he posted.

I have some friends in STL who were happy to be rid of him and as season ticket holders they've seen a lot of him.

I wasn't concerned about the injury risk but the risk that he wasn't any good.

On the other hand, I was frustrated with Foles fucked up mechanics. I had never seen anything like that and to this day don't know how they couldn't snap him out of it. Truth be told, Sanchez played better than him in training camp and during the regular season and it appears the rumors that Chip didn't want Foles to hurry back so he could keep Sanchez may be true.

If Foles is who he was last year, then I thought Bradford would be an improvement but not enough to get us in the top two tiers of QB, which to me, is necessary to have a shot at a SB these days. Under that scenario, neither would be good enough to get us the goal so why give up $12M of cap space and a 2nd round pick.

If Foles is who he was two years ago, then Bradford would never be better than him and it was a bad deal for us.

Again, I never focused on the injury.

Where Bradford appears to be now, is a guy capable of being good enough to be a top two tier QB (top 11 range) and Foles doesn't appear headed there. If that is the case, then it was a deal worth taking because you need to qualify for the dance to win it. If he is legit top 11, then he can get us a ticket to qualify for the dance.

I do think we need to put the brakes on a little. He's played four series. While I don't think he'll be the 79 QB he was before, there were reasons he was that other than the team excuse and he needs to overcome those things to be better. The system will get him from bad to average, however, from average on up, it is on him to make those strides. As of now, it looks good that he will.

Fingers crossed.

2015-1960 - 55

Fair and objective post which I can respect. All I can tell you, being a life long Ram fan of 40+ years is the main "reason" for Sam's 79 rating is the crap he played with. "#1" receivers like Mark Clayton, Brandon Gibson, Mike Simms-Walker and Danny Amendola will do that to ANY QB, let alone one saddled with 4 different OC's including Brian Schottenheimer.

Sam is a guy with top 5 QB ability waiting to explode and with a huge chip on his shoulder to prove it to one and all.

He is NOT a guy who will extend plays by breaking tackles or running away from guys so you will have to live with him throwing balls away and tacking sacks when the pocket simply crumbles, which I am sure will infuriate those who don't like him now but the other 95% of the time he will be money and in the end he is capable of leading this well rounded Eagles team to multiple Super Bowls. Of this I have NO doubt.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 8 2015, 09:38 PM) *
I do think we need to put the brakes on a little. He's played four series.

Absolutely agree with this, but it's hard after 10 for 10, getting pancaked and bouncing back up again.
Zero
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Sep 9 2015, 06:27 AM) *
He is NOT a guy who will extend plays by breaking tackles or running away from guys so you will have to live with him throwing balls away and tacking sacks when the pocket simply crumbles, which I am sure will infuriate those who don't like him now but the other 95% of the time he will be money and in the end he is capable of leading this well rounded Eagles team to multiple Super Bowls. Of this I have NO doubt.
I'm good with this. Ecstatic if this is how it turns out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.