Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Eagles awarded QB Stephen Morris off waivers
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
xsv
05/06/2014 - 2014 NFL Draft Quarterbacks: Stephen Morris, Miami (Fla.), 6-2, 213, 4.63...Morris has the arm strength and athleticism to deserve consideration as an NFL quarterback, but his physical performance was impacted significantly by an Achilles injury last year. Also in question are his decision making skills, especially under pressure, after poor performances and a 1-6 career record against ranked opponents. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange

STRENGTHS: Quick athlete with elusive moves and excellent feel in the pocket to maneuver around the noise to keep plays alive. Sets up quickly in the pocket and stays balanced through his delivery, showing precise downfield vision and touch. Has improved substantially with his pre-snap recognition skills to find mismatches and understand where he wants to go with the football before the pocket collapses. All the arm strength needed for the next level.
WEAKNESSES: Modest height and build, and has room to refine his footwork. Almost too much confidence in his arm at times, which will get him in trouble. Too often late to diagnose and react to the blitz. Disappointing decision making as a senior with a lot of experience.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players.../stephen-morris

Zero
This is a head-scratcher.

STRENGTHS Very good arm strength and athletic ability. Can move around the pocket and buy a second chance. Throws with velocity and can rifle the ball into tight spots. Can drill back-shoulder throws. Can adapt his arm and throwing platform and release it from a variety of angles under duress with ease. Has natural leadership traits.

WEAKNESSES Average overall size with a relatively thin build. Sporadic accuracy. Sprays the ball and struggles to hit receivers in stride (best with stationary targets). Does not throw his receivers open. Marginal timing, anticipation and rhythm. Struggles to handle pressure and presses to create plays -- eyes drop to the rush very quickly and vacates the pocket prematurely. Makes too many head-scratching decisions. Birddogs his primary target and will force the ball. Career 57.7 completion percentage is indicative of accuracy at all layers even with a clean pocket. Makes his receivers consistently work for the ball.

DRAFT PROJECTION Rounds 5-6

BOTTOM LINE Was forced to cycle through three offenses in four years at the helm and never grew comfortable as a passer. Teases evaluators with his arm and athletic talent, but must prove he can hone his accuracy and decision-making. Has moldable talent for a backup role and enough raw tools to pique the interest of a patient quarterbacks coach. Will require a strong offensive line and a full supporting cast of weapons to function. Developmental talent.
Linc ...
Zero
STRENGTHS WEAKNESSES

STRENGTHS: Quick athlete with elusive moves and excellent feel in the pocket to maneuver around the noise to keep plays alive. Sets up quickly in the pocket and stays balanced through his delivery, showing precise downfield vision and touch. Has improved substantially with his pre-snap recognition skills to find mismatches and understand where he wants to go with the football before the pocket collapses. All the arm strength needed for the next level.
WEAKNESSES: Modest height and build, and has room to refine his footwork. Almost too much confidence in his arm at times, which will get him in trouble. Too often late to diagnose and react to the blitz. Disappointing decision making as a senior with a lot of experience.

--Dane Brugler

PLAYER OVERVIEW

Every draft class seems to have an enigma prospect at the quarterback position, and Morris definitely fits that description as a very perplexing and polarizing player.
He has a golden arm to effortlessly spin the ball anywhere on the field with the athleticism and toughness to match, and was a standout at the Manning Passing Academy in 2013 while performing next to the likes of Johnny Manziel and A.J. McCarron.

However, Morris' performance against some of the ACC's second-level teams in 2013 was another reminder why most are struggling to consider him as one of the best senior quarterbacks for the 2014 NFL Draft. In the showdown against Florida State, Morris interchanged questionable decision-making with strong, pinpoint passes that kept Miami in the game through halftime. He was inconsistent again in losses to Virginia Tech and Duke that dropped Miami from undefeated to out of the Top 25 in three weeks.

Complicating the evaluation on Morris is the Achilles strain that bothered him for most of his senior season. It clearly affected his ability to step into passes and led to more wobbly passes and turnovers than he likely would have suffered had Morris been fully healthy.

Morris earned the nickname "Tin Cup" from some scouts at the Senior Bowl due to his ability to make the amazing throw but struggles with the routine passes commonplace in every NFL offense. Morris boasts a strong arm and throws the deep ball with touch but like the other two quarterbacks on the North squad (Boyd and Virginia Tech's Logan Thomas), he struggled with accuracy throughout the week.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players.../stephen-morris ...
nephillymike
From my other post, Chip's paraphrased quote:

FWIW because what Chip says doesn't always translate but he did say he wants "the best QB who can help us win right now".

That would seem to favor the veterans.

The Chipster, gotta love him. Thanks God the buttocks doesn't have many muscles because he would risk pulling a few.

Geez.

It is what it is.

Time to move on to the regular season.

I'm sure our opponents are worried about Morris as he is likely to help us win a game right now. rolleyes.gif
Reality Fan
lol....one thing is certain...you never know what Ed and Chip are going to do.....

I would have gone the Ponder route...or the Cassel route......

I was afraid they were going to go young and unproven and that is what they did....

nephillymike
http://www.drafttek.com/2014-NFL-Draft-Pro...ngs/Top-QBs.asp

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker?icam...y-grade-input:9

Click on the video.

Rated 292nd best prospect by draftek, 207th by Mayock.

I never had him on the 2014 draft radar.

He tried out for Jax this year. I wonder what he did last year?
Eyrie
The question marks over his decision making mean that this is a strange choice. Fingers crossed for Bradford and Sanchez so that we don't find out just how strange.
JeeQ
Filing this in the "Love Chip The Coach, But Chip The GM Confuses The Fuck Out Of Me" folder

Never thought I'd say this but between this guy and Tebow I would've definitely went with Tebow

It's pretty fucked up to say Tebow isn't good enough to be a 3rd String QB when he has more playoff wins under his belt than Chip Kelly does... and then go and sign this kid? Who hasn't thrown a single pass in the NFL? What the fuck Chip?!
Phits
Phits
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 6 2015, 02:40 PM) *
Filing this in the "Love Chip The Coach, But Chip The GM Confuses The Fuck Out Of Me" folder

Never thought I'd say this but between this guy and Tebow I would've definitely went with Tebow

It's pretty fucked up to say Tebow isn't good enough to be a 3rd String QB when he has more playoff wins under his belt than Chip Kelly does... and then go and sign this kid? Who hasn't thrown a single pass in the NFL? What the fuck Chip?!

Both Bill Belichick and Chip Kelly didn't see enough from Tebow to rejuvenate his (failed) NFL career. That's enough for me.
Joegrane
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 6 2015, 01:04 PM) *

He might not end up being #3 QB. He could just be part of the "negotiations" with one of the bigger name QBs.

Maybe some of the other bigger names do not want to settle for #3 but want to be competing for #2.

Other than the Achilles injury, what would lead one to think he has the upside to be better than Tebow--or Barkley?
I still wonder if both Tebow and Barkley did not get along well with the finicky coach.

I suppose the familiarity with the Eagles's O Line coach is a factor, but is that enough?

His numbers from the combine are not impressive, except straight line speed. At least he'll be able to outrun DEs on the Read Option. When a guy has slow results on the 3-cone and shuttle I wonder if there is also a lack of mental quickness. This might be consistent with some of his in-game weaknesses.
http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/4360/

I agree with you. This is strange, but he might not end up being the #3 in the middle of next week.
Reality Fan
Ok...you lost me...how could he be part of negotiations with one of the bigger name QBs? Will the Eagles offer to have him service their wife if the bigger name signs with the Eagles?

I don't get it....or are you saying that they will in turn trade him to another team for their 3rd QB which would also make no sense.....but what do I know....

Can you explain that a little better?
Zero
Ok, reading this makes it sound like the QB whisperer is taking a chance at teaching a talent to be a QB. Impressive arm, good athlete, 'smart' football player. Multiple coaches As it's been said, he's the third stringer. A chance.
It is over, guys. The obnoxious media attention surrounding the most polarizing backup's backup in the league is on its way out of Philadelphia. Tim Tebow was so awful that he could not secure the third quarterback job. Hell, he was so awful, he got cut despite Matt Barkley getting traded to Arizona. He literally lost to himself. He is THAT BAD at quarterback. With the third quarterback position left completely open, the Eagles picked up former Miami Hurricanes and Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback, Stephen Morris. While Morris may not be anything to throw a party over, we are talking about third string quarterbacks and he is worlds better than Timothy Richard Tebow.

The 6-2, 220 pound quarterback initially went undrafted out of Miami and not without reason. Morris was incredibly sporadic during his time at Miami. He would have brain farts; forcing passes, having mechanical breakdowns or really looking iffy in the pocket. However, it is not all bad. The first thing that people will notice if they watch Morris is his arm strength. It is absurd. No, seriously. Any stupid "he has a *insert generic weapon* for an arm" metaphor is apt. I mean, look at this! Not only does he have an arm, he is also a good athlete and a smart football player. He had a lot of very nice moments at Miami, enough that people thought he was a future top quarterback once upon a time. However, lack of consistency hindered him and it cost him.

So why the hullabaloo? Well, Tebow is gone! I am ecstatic. Do I have an ulterior motive? Yeah, probably, but he sucks! Morris will not set the world on fire, but having a young quarterback with workable tools is a much more exciting prospect than having Tebow's awfulness. Watching him try to read vanilla, preseason defenses this year was like watching a blind person put together a jigsaw puzzle. It was painful. It was awful. But now he is gone and his replacement is world's better.

What about Matt Barkley? Is Morris better than Matt Barkley? Well, considering that Matt Barkley does not have a throwing arm, just a box of Easy Mac attached to his shoulder, I would say yes. To be honest, we are all better than Matt Barkley.
Hahahaha ...
Wheeljack
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 6 2015, 01:04 PM) *

Linc ...

All is right with the world.
The Barkley flyer-hang is over, Tebow is gone.
Sam Bradford is good, and Marc Sanchez is solid.

No more hanging our hats on a bum QB because "HE'S ACCURATE AND POCKET PRESENCE!!!!!!!!1111!!!1!" when they really are just mad at the incumbent QB

I'm happy.
Reality Fan
Somehow an terrible article from some clown named Ben Natan that is more a vendetta piece on Tebow than an actual informative article on Morris does not make me feel better......

Who is this clown? I guess it just goes to show any idiot can write for blogs....

and no.....while I may be an idiot I have no desire to join them...lol
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 6 2015, 02:08 PM) *
Both Bill Belichick and Chip Kelly didn't see enough from Tebow to rejuvenate his (failed) NFL career. That's enough for me.

32 teams didn't see enough from Morris to START his career by drafting him.

THAT speaks volumes to me.

No I don't have dandruff. Just scratching my head for other reasons.
CT_Eagle
This move has me really thinking that Chip is still bent on getting a QB that can run the read option. Morris fits that mold. My guess is that Chip
will try to salvage Morris and if he can't, he will move onto the next project. This process will repeat until Chip finds his QB. Tebow was the first
attempt and Morris is the second.
Phits
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 6 2015, 04:49 PM) *

No I don't have dandruff. Just scratching my head for other reasons.

A (rookie) undrafted player hasn't been given the opportunity to fail/succeed. So their professional ceiling hasn't been established. That's not the case with Tebow.

As for players that undrafted by 30+ teams:
- Tony Romo
- Antonio Gates
- James Harrison
- Antonio Pierce
- Jason Peters
- Jeff Saturday
- Wes Welker
- Priest Holmes

mcnabbulous
Stephen Morris probably not good and will likely never amount to anything, but he has upside, which is more than can be said about Barkley and Tebow.

If he sees the field, we are screwed anyways.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 6 2015, 07:19 PM) *
A (rookie) undrafted player hasn't been given the opportunity to fail/succeed. So their professional ceiling hasn't been established. That's not the case with Tebow.

As for players that undrafted by 30+ teams:
- Tony Romo
- Antonio Gates
- James Harrison
- Antonio Pierce
- Jason Peters
- Jeff Saturday
- Wes Welker
- Priest Holmes

You need to narrow the search a little and make if UDFA who did not make the 53 man roster of one of the worst teams in the league after two training camps and preseasons.

My guess is that players meeting that criteria have less than a 3% shot at being a solid backup or better.

Getting back to the question at hand, I think there were more than a few QB out there that had a much better shot.

Disappointed in the Chipster.
mcnabbulous
It's a third QB. What do you hope/expect to get out of them?
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 6 2015, 07:52 PM) *
It's a third QB. What do you hope/expect to get out of them?

I hope to get a guy who can become the number two guy in a year should we lose one of the top two.

I expect to get what my coach told me a few hours earlier I was going to get;

A guy who can come in and help us win games right now.

Does he seem to be that type of guy to you?
Joegrane
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 6 2015, 04:09 PM) *
Ok...you lost me...how could he be part of negotiations with one of the bigger name QBs? Will the Eagles offer to have him service their wife if the bigger name signs with the Eagles?

I don't get it....or are you saying that they will in turn trade him to another team for their 3rd QB which would also make no sense.....but what do I know....

Can you explain that a little better?

The Eagles could release Morris and sign someone else. Has Ponder and the other experienced QBs signed?

I suppose I should have elaborated originally.

Joe
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 6 2015, 08:01 PM) *
I hope to get a guy who can become the number two guy in a year should we lose one of the top two.

Getting a backup QB isn't difficult. If we lose Sanchez, replacing him won't be difficult. If you recall, no one wanted him when we signed him.

I expect to get what my coach told me a few hours earlier I was going to get;

A guy who can come in and help us win games right now.

If our third QB is playing, we're likely screwed.

Does he seem to be that type of guy to you?

He is a guy with a lot of natural talent that has never been able to harness it. I'd take that kind of guy over some journeyman with no upside. Like I said, I don't expect much out of him, but I hope that we don't have to find out.
Joegrane
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 6 2015, 04:49 PM) *

That describes my thoughts well.

This is SO bizarre. How can Morris be as valuable to a solid playoff contending team with an injury prone starter than Tebow or Barkley or even Barkley's 6th round pick.

Barkley has a couple of years in the system and at times showed a glimmer of being a capable #3.

Tebow has a couple of months in the system, experience as a NFL starter, a playoff W, and universal agreement that his passing has improved. He put that on display just days ago. What he displayed for all to see was better than even his mother could have expected while praying on a stack of bibles!

There *must* be something more to this than just talent.

I am not a Tebow fan or Florida fan or even college football fan. I am an Eagles fan who is bewildered by the coach's decision making + press conferences.

Maybe it is my fault for even listening to the conferences. I don't mind having to take a grain of salt with what he says but how of big a shovel will we need?

Chip better get these decisions right. I suspect he is headed down the path of former SF coach Jim Harbaugh. Everyone tolerated the over-the-top act while he was successful. Tolerance for that act will run short when the string of success comes to an end. Chip will then likely take his act back to college where the system is built to better tolerate it.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 6 2015, 08:26 PM) *
That describes my thoughts well.

This is SO bizarre. How can Morris be as valuable to a solid playoff contending team with an injury prone starter than Tebow or Barkley or even Barkley's 6th round pick.

No contending teams worry about their 3rd stringers playing. Only one even remotely capable team saw any extended action from their third QB last year: Arizona.

Barkley has a couple of years in the system and at times showed a glimmer of being a capable #3.

Barkley is not good. The guys arm is a wet noodle.

Tebow has a couple of months in the system, experience as a NFL starter, a playoff W, and universal agreement that his passing has improved. He put that on display just days ago. What he displayed for all to see was better than even his mother could have expected while praying on a stack of bibles!

Tebow is not good. He can't read defenses or make quick decisions. Those are pretty huge components of playing NFL football. Especially in Chip's scheme.

There *must* be something more to this than just talent.

You're overthinking it. It's a third QB situation.

Chip better get these decisions right. I suspect he is headed down the path of former SF coach Jim Harbaugh. Everyone tolerated the over-the-top act while he was successful. Tolerance for that act will run short when the string of success comes to an end. Chip will then likely take his act back to college where the system is built to better tolerate it.

What the hell are you talking about? It's a third QB. The reason a guy is a third QB in the NFL is because he's not good enough to be a backup. And he's certainly not good enough to be a starter. We shouldn't expect more out of our 3rd stringer.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 6 2015, 08:26 PM) *
Maybe it is my fault for even listening to the conferences. I don't mind having to take a grain of salt with what he says but how of big a shovel will we need?

Good line.

Sometimes it seems like a bulldozer would do.

I noticed this year he is treating the press corps with less respect than last year.

Winning cures all assholery. Missing the playoffs does not.
Joegrane
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 6 2015, 09:41 PM) *
Tebow is not good. He can't read defenses or make quick decisions. Those are pretty huge components of playing NFL football. Especially in Chip's scheme.

Sorry, we SAW him get it done better than anyone expected from him, especially at this stage in his process of learning the system and adjusting to his new mechanics.
You're overthinking it. It's a third QB situation...

I'm not primarily complaining or questioning the #3 QB situation and I'm not a Tebow fan. I'm questioning Chip's MO.

I don't know if Kool Aid goes rancid but if it does, Chip's is getting close. I'm not drinking it.

It is time to produce.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 6 2015, 10:36 PM) *
Sorry, we SAW him get it done better than anyone expected from him, especially at this stage in his process of learning the system and adjusting to his new mechanics.

Get what done? He got cut by the only guy who has given him a chance in two years. Chip told him to go to Canada. If he's serious about being a QB, he'll do so. Then again, he's never learned how to properly play the position at this point in his career. I doubt that changes.

I'm not primarily complaining or questioning the #3 QB situation and I'm not a Tebow fan. I'm questioning Chip's MO.

I don't know if Kool Aid goes rancid but if it does, Chip's is getting close. I'm not drinking it.

It is time to produce.

He's won 20 games in two years with mediocre QBs at his disposal. Very few people have ever done that.
Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 6 2015, 11:36 PM) *

It is time to produce.

Chip's MO is just starting to see daylight, IMO. He spent two years behind Howie and trying to learn the intricacies of the NFL. I agree that both Barkley and Tebow would serve the team better assuming they are trying to win it all, and I think they are. Mike's post on the vested vet rule makes some sense out of Morris' signing. I think we wait a week to see what shakes out.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 7 2015, 06:49 AM) *
Chip's MO is just starting to see daylight, IMO. He spent two years behind Howie and trying to learn the intricacies of the NFL. I agree that both Barkley and Tebow would serve the team better assuming they are trying to win it all, and I think they are. Mike's post on the vested vet rule makes some sense out of Morris' signing. I think we wait a week to see what shakes out.

Thinking out loud.

Would they be that cold to sign a guy yesterday to then cut him the next week?

I guess they could because the kid would get the three game minimum regular season salary for being active one game, then if we put him on the PS, he could then stay there or get signed by the Jags 53 if interested. Could be a rent a QB for a week.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 7 2015, 08:23 AM) *
Thinking out loud.

Would they be that cold to sign a guy yesterday to then cut him the next week?

I guess they could because the kid would get the three game minimum regular season salary for being active one game, then if we put him on the PS, he could then stay there or get signed by the Jags 53 if interested. Could be a rent a QB for a week.
Or, if Kelly likes his potential maybe they sign him to the PS.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 7 2015, 06:49 AM) *
I agree that both Barkley and Tebow would serve the team better assuming they are trying to win it all, and I think they are.

Guys, this is getting crazy. Our #3 QB will have no bearing on our ability or chances to win it all.

Can anyone name the third QB for any of the four championship game teams last year?

The amount of time that is spent worrying about the final roster spots is completely disproportionate to the impact they have. Last year it was Henry Josey.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (Phits @ Sep 6 2015, 03:00 PM) *
<div align='centre'></div>

This video, imo shows what is wrong with these athletic QB's and NOT what is right.

These guys are all good at running around, buying time and throwing a decent deep ball. What they struggle with is sitting in the pocket, making a quick & correct decision and delivering a ball in to a tight window to an NFL receiver.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 7 2015, 07:32 AM) *
Guys, this is getting crazy. Our #3 QB will have no bearing on our ability or chances to win it all.

Can anyone name the third QB for any of the four championship game teams last year?

The amount of time that is spent worrying about the final roster spots is completely disproportionate to the impact they have. Last year it was Henry Josey.

True.

It's a sickness.

Go look in the mirror.

You got it too.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 7 2015, 07:46 AM) *
True.

It's a sickness.

Go look in the mirror.

You got it too.

Oh I'm totally demented, but not over this part of the process. By this time next year, we'll likely have forgotten about these practice squaders and final roster cuts.
nephillymike
Just to beat a dead horse a little more:

The lowly Jags cut this guy and only kept two QB's; Bortles and Henne.

Our team thought enough of him to pick him up as our 3rd QB.

Not good enough for the lowly jags and their QB challenged team, but good enough for us?

whipitgood.gif
mcnabbulous
The Jags have a really young QB they are developing. We don't.
Joegrane
My thoughts, exactly after reading Mike's informative post on Vested Veterans.

They get to kick the tires with Morris while they see if they can agree to terms with one of the veterans. If they sign the vet and also like Morris, maybe they can develop him on the practice squad.

I've been suspicious of Chip's motives and methods but I'm willing to wait and see how this goes down.

QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 7 2015, 07:49 AM) *
I agree that both Barkley and Tebow would serve the team better assuming they are trying to win it all, and I think they are. Mike's post on the vested vet rule makes some sense out of Morris' signing. I think we wait a week to see what shakes out.
Phits
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Sep 7 2015, 08:38 AM) *
This video, imo shows what is wrong with these athletic QB's and NOT what is right.

These guys are all good at running around, buying time and throwing a decent deep ball. What they struggle with is sitting in the pocket, making a quick & correct decision and delivering a ball in to a tight window to an NFL receiver.

The video was intended to show the strength of his arm, and elusiveness.
Phits
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 6 2015, 11:36 PM) *

I'm not sure any fan expected anything from Tebow. He is what he is. Besides, his window for improvement is/was quite wide. The fact that he got better, and is still far from good is not a good thing.
Phits
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 7 2015, 07:49 AM) *
I agree that both Barkley and Tebow would serve the team better assuming they are trying to win it all, and I think they are.

I also think they are trying to win it all, but it's not likely to be this year.

Neither Barkley or Tebow are good NFL QB's. Even with their knowledge of the system, it's better to move on from them. If we are going to have a third QB on the roster, better to be a development project. I don't know if that's Morris or not.
Reality Fan
where I scratch my head is why not put him on the PS rather than the 53?

Now if they cut him and sign a Vet after week one than I sort of get it.

If not I am confused.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 7 2015, 05:58 PM) *
where I scratch my head is why not put him on the PS rather than the 53?

Now if they cut him and sign a Vet after week one than I sort of get it.

If not I am confused.

The only thing I can think of is this.

1. They thought he was going to go on Jax practice squad and Jax had no intention of putting him on their 53.
2. Chip isn't full of shit and he really does want the best guy for this year, but wanted to sign a vested veteran after the first game so the salary isn't guaranteed.
3. He brings in Morris and puts him on our 53. The kid gets the min three weeks NFL check for the hassle.
4. Next week, he signs the veteran we all know we need if we need to be in the best spot this year.
5. Then we put Morris on OUR Practice squad. The end result is we get a #3 guy on the 53 man and a developmental guy on the practice squad.

In order for Jax to get him back on their team, they would need to sign him to their 53 man roster, otherwise he stays on our practice squad.

As far as conspiracy theories, that's the best I got. Not a great thoery but a stab in the dark. rolleyes.gif
mcnabbulous
Can someone please at least explain why we think a 3rd QB is relevant to the discussions of our "best team." None of the best teams got any contribution from their third stringer last year.

It seriously doesn't matter. He won't play.
Joegrane
That sounds reasonable. At first glance it seems Morris is being used but I bet he does not feel that way. Would he feel better in Jax or in Philly where he has a good chance to go the playoffs and where his very good straight-line speed is a good fit for the Read-option? Chip is also getting a good reputation for developing QBs.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 7 2015, 07:21 PM) *
The only thing I can think of is this.

1. They thought he was going to go on Jax practice squad and Jax had no intention of putting him on their 53.
2. Chip isn't full of shit and he really does want the best guy for this year, but wanted to sign a vested veteran after the first game so the salary isn't guaranteed.
3. He brings in Morris and puts him on our 53. The kid gets the min three weeks NFL check for the hassle.
4. Next week, he signs the veteran we all know we need if we need to be in the best spot this year.
5. Then we put Morris on OUR Practice squad. The end result is we get a #3 guy on the 53 man and a developmental guy on the practice squad.

In order for Jax to get him back on their team, they would need to sign him to their 53 man roster, otherwise he stays on our practice squad.

As far as conspiracy theories, that's the best I got. Not a great thoery but a stab in the dark. rolleyes.gif

nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 7 2015, 06:31 PM) *
Can someone please at least explain why we think a 3rd QB is relevant to the discussions of our "best team." None of the best teams got any contribution from their third stringer last year.

It seriously doesn't matter. He won't play.

Aside from the sickness thing we mentioned before, there have been times when our 3rd string QB's played in meaningful games.

Barkley two years ago.
2005, did we have to dip to #3 that year?
Feeley for a few years in the early 2000's
Koy before that.
That one Eagles team when we lost all QB's and had to get guys off construction sites back in early 90's.

Most times it was only a game or two or three, but in a 16 game season, that is significant.

If we have to fill the spot, might as well fill it with a guy to help win a game if need be. The QB being all important, he has a big impact on the game.
mcnabbulous
I would say his ability to mimic a functional QB in practice is more valuable than the likelihood of playing in real games.

Morris has a lot of physical characteristics that are similar to Rodgers and Wilson.
Zero
Here's an interesting perspective on Morris. I realize Lawlor has a lot of haters, but there's some positive stuff to take from this. Doesn't mean Morris will improve to be a competent #2 or an eventual starter.

Morris has a stronger arm than either Matt Barkley or Tim Tebow. He is a faster runner than either of them. Morris puts good velocity on his intermediate and downfield throws. He puts good touch on short passes. And heís not afraid to hit his RBs and TEs. Barkley always seemed to want big plays. You canít force the issue.

Mechanically, Morris is very sound. Natural QB. Has pretty good footwork. One of the things that really impressed me was his pocket presence. He stayed focused downfield, even with rushers closing in on him. It was hard to judge him as a decision-maker without seeing All-22 stuff and knowing the offense really well. He didnít force the ball into coverage.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 7 2015, 06:50 PM) *
Here's an interesting perspective on Morris. I realize Lawlor has a lot of haters, but there's some positive stuff to take from this. Doesn't mean Morris will improve to be a competent #2 or an eventual starter.

The article mentioned Darwin Walker.

A big reach IMO.

Walker was a 3rd round selection, who fell to the third round and many had him going to the Eagles in that draft, but that was the year we took Simon.

Walker was a player and everyone knew he was coming out of that draft.

Morris was never thought of being draftable talent leading up to the '14 NFL draft.

He may end up doing something, and I like Lawlor overall but the Walker example doesn't fit IMO.

I just don't see it on the 53. Maybe as a PS #4 QB, but not on the 53.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.