Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Did NFL Rules Cost Tebow a Job?
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Joegrane
Was Tim Tebow's situation a function of NFL rules changes and interpretations?

Did Chip bring Tebow in because he thought the location of the ball for the extra point was going to be moved closer to the goal line? Recall that Tebow has an excellent career TD percentage in the Red Zone.

Was Tebow's chances hurt when the hit on Bradford in the Raven's game was reviewed and considered legal?

That ruling seems to somewhat reduce the value of the Read-Option. It becomes riskier for teams to use it since it becomes more difficult to protect the QB from a head-hunting--or knee-hunting--defender.

Tebow is far less attractive without the Read-Option threat.

We saw that the Eagles were not effective in the 2 point conversion attempts this preseason. They don't have a big, move-the-pile centre and massive Guard like they did in the McNabb-Shaun Andrews era. Furthermore, Tebow is not known for quick reads needed in goal line passing situations.

Chip suggested that Tebow go to Canada to get additional playing time. However the CFL is more of a passing league. They only have three downs to gain 10 yards. I assume accurate short yardage passing is essential. That does not sound like a good fit for Tebow. He is not eligible for the practice squad. Even with his improvements, he does not seem to be in an enviable spot.
Spock
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 6 2015, 12:10 PM) *

Did Chip bring Tebow in because he thought the location of the ball for the extra point was going to be moved closer to the goal line? Recall that Tebow has an excellent career TD percentage in the Red Zone.

Was Tebow's chances hurt when the hit on Bradford in the Raven's game was reviewed and considered legal?

That ruling seems to somewhat reduce the value of the Read-Option. It becomes riskier for teams to use it since it becomes more difficult to protect the QB from a head-hunting--or knee-hunting--defender.

We saw that the Eagles were not effective in the 2 point conversion attempts this preseason. They don't have a big, move-the-pile centre and massive Guard like they did in the McNabb-Shaun Andrews era. Furthermore, Tebow is not known for quick reads needed in goal line passing situations.

Chip suggested that Tebow go to Canada to get additional playing time. However the CFL is more of a passing league. They only have three downs to gain 10 yards. I assume accurate short yardage passing is essential. That does not sound like a good fit for Tebow. He is not eligible for the practice squad. Even with his improvements, he does not seem to be in an enviable spot.

None of that helped. The sideshow freak circus like atmosphere that surrounds him (and he promotes) doesn't help either. But the real reason he got cut is b/c he sucks.
Reality Fan
i don't think that the rule changes had any effect on the decision or Tebow not making the roster.

I think those 2 failed 2 point conversions were the test for Tebow to prove his worth and he failed both times and Kelly saw that his experiment was not going to be a viable option with Tebow. After that looked bad the game was up for Tebow. Barkley may have stayed if he did not look so flippin bad in game 4. When Barkley sucked it was easy to lose both.
Eyrie
What cost Tebow was speed of decision making and accuracy, so maybe going to a passing league like the CFL will give him the opportunity to improve those areas.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Sep 6 2015, 01:22 PM) *
What cost Tebow was speed of decision making and accuracy, so maybe going to a passing league like the CFL will give him the opportunity to improve those areas.

I agree with this.

He should go to the CFL and see if he can improve.
Ced83
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 6 2015, 11:10 AM) *

Although he out played Barkley in the last preseason game. I do think he could be somebody third string Qb or practice squad he plays well in spurts and he played with fourth string players.
Joegrane
QUOTE (Ced83 @ Sep 7 2015, 01:32 AM) *
Although he out played Barkley in the last preseason game. I do think he could be somebody third string Qb or practice squad he plays well in spurts and he played with fourth string players.

I agree with you although he is not eligible for the practice squad. Remember also he was playing against 4th string defenders. #1's will not provide bigger throwing windows or be as easy to get around the corner on in the Read-option.

I would not be surprised if the "side show" as previously mentioned was the biggest reason he was released. It makes for additional entertainment and higher TV ratings in the preseason but is a distraction in the regular season.

If he gets an opportunity in Canada, he'd be wise to tone it down it bit. He'll have decades after his years of football to give speeches at Christian rallies, etc. If he doesn't he'll likely be on the preaching circuit soon.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 7 2015, 06:25 PM) *
I agree with you although he is not eligible for the practice squad. Remember also he was playing against 4th string defenders. #1's will not provide bigger throwing windows or be as easy to get around the corner on in the Read-option.

I would not be surprised if the "side show" as previously mentioned was the biggest reason he was released. It makes for additional entertainment and higher TV ratings in the preseason but is a distraction in the regular season.

If he gets an opportunity in Canada, he'd be wise to tone it down it bit. He'll have decades after his years of football to give speeches at Christian rallies, etc. If he doesn't he'll likely be on the preaching circuit soon.

I thought the reason he was released was that we thought there were better options out there as a #3 QB or that we had other guys we didn't want to cut.

Signing Morris confuses me as I would think Tebow would be the better option for this year than him. Also, the fact we cut Goode anyway shot down the second reason.

We'll see what happens next Tuesday if we sign anyone. Maybe then we'll have clarity.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.