Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting reads for reasons behind cuts
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/art...3e-58d59d1a0a6d

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/art...97-f37050efd29a

I'm looking around for what advantages there are to keeping only 52, as opposed to keeping 53 and then cutting a guy if you find someone. Seems a little strange to me.
Zero
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 6 2015, 05:27 AM) *
I'm looking around for what advantages there are to keeping only 52, as opposed to keeping 53 and then cutting a guy if you find someone. Seems a little strange to me.
At this point, what difference does it make? devil03.gif
Eyrie
It's a question of fairness to whoever you would keep as #53 only to then cut them.

By letting them go immediately they have a better chance of being picked up elsewhere.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Eyrie @ Sep 6 2015, 05:15 AM) *
It's a question of fairness to whoever you would keep as #53 only to then cut them.

By letting them go immediately they have a better chance of being picked up elsewhere.

could be it.

But he's saying that we don't have 53 NFL players in our system. Not a ringing endorsement.

But you are probably right. He said the last cut was Goode, and maybe he let him go to land elsewhere knowing that the 53rd we picked up would be at another position.
Eyrie
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 6 2015, 11:18 AM) *
could be it.

But he's saying that we don't have 53 NFL players in our system. Not a ringing endorsement.

But you are probably right. He said the last cut was Goode, and maybe he let him go to land elsewhere knowing that the 53rd we picked up would be at another position.

The need for another position makes sense. We already have nine LBs so a tenth would be unnecessary since the last man would be unlikely to dress except in the case of injuries.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 6 2015, 06:18 AM) *
could be it.

Cutting Goode for a better (pun intended) player makes sense to me!
Joegrane
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 6 2015, 05:27 AM) *
...I'm looking around for what advantages there are to keeping only 52, as opposed to keeping 53 and then cutting a guy if you find someone. Seems a little strange to me.

My guess is that they already know who is going to be the #3 QB so they just left the spot open for him--Christian Ponder seems to be the favorite.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.