Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st half observations vs. Jets
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
nephillymike
- Tebow is ahead on all judges cards after the 1st half. Barkley had three real bad early throws and then settled down. Tebow had two nice throws and only one bad one.

- Reynolds missed tackle. Looks soft. Not sure if he is PS material

- Watkins up and down but looks better than other options

- Rowe is a problem. We can't afford to have him on the field. Maybe have Biggars come on in nickle and Couplin in dime.

- Ajirotutu shows me absolutely nothing at WR. They say he is an excellent ST guy. He better be.

- Braman has a pass rush. Could come in handy

- does it bother anyone else that they think Cooper is good enough to sit out this game

- Huff - has absolutely done nothing. His ass should be still playing in this game.

- this backup centre's or 3rd tema centre's snaps in shot gun suck. Been that way all preseason

- I've seen enough of the Kipper

- our second and third team defense has had zero pass rush

- another missed tackle by Reynolds

- I find it hard to believe that in a fair competition most our our deep depth OLB's aren't better than M. Smith

- even for a roster geek like me, this game is really tough to watch
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 3 2015, 08:54 PM) *
- Tebow is ahead on all judges cards after the 1st half. Barkley had three real bad early throws and then settled down. Tebow had two nice throws and only one bad one.

- Reynolds missed tackle. Looks soft. Not sure if he is PS material

- Watkins up and down but looks better than other options

- Rowe is a problem. We can't afford to have him on the field. Maybe have Biggars come on in nickle and Couplin in dime.

- Ajirotutu shows me absolutely nothing at WR. They say he is an excellent ST guy. He better be.

- Braman has a pass rush. Could come in handy

- does it bother anyone else that they think Cooper is good enough to sit out this game

- Huff - has absolutely done nothing. His ass should be still playing in this game.

- this backup centre's or 3rd tema centre's snaps in shot gun suck. Been that way all preseason

- I've seen enough of the Kipper

- our second and third team defense has had zero pass rush

- another missed tackle by Reynolds

- I find it hard to believe that in a fair competition most our our deep depth OLB's aren't better than M. Smith

- even for a roster geek like me, this game is really tough to watch

C'mon, 3/4 of the guys playing tonight are gone or headed to PS.
Name me a 2nd or 3rd round DB that was ready to play their first season?
Rowe has the talent, the pick tonight showed a flash of it, he just needs more schooling.
Ajirrotutu(?) will never be on the field as a real WR, but he showed you his ST value tonight when he downed a punt at the Jet's 2.

JeeQ
We Can't Get Rid Of Bailey...

That racist piece of shit Riley doesn't even have to take the field and Bailey might not even make the roster... utter bullshit
JeeQ
Kip Smith is so fucking terrible laugh.gif
JeeQ
Final Game Thoughts:

Our weaknesses are still the same ones from last season

The best way to stop a Chip Kelly offense is to keep the ball out of their hands. 3 out of 11 on 3rd down conversions and only 1 minute and 24 seconds of possession in the 3rd QTR... Ouch

Keeping our defense on the field with a heavy dose of run is also still too effective... 200+ yards on the ground and 14 out of 18 3rd down conversions... Ouch

Last up, the secondary still looks weak. We're one injury away from Rowe/Watkins starting at CB and judging from what I've seen from both of them... Ouch
mcnabbulous
I agree. If Chip has shitty QB play, our offense/team isn't good.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Birdwatcher @ Sep 3 2015, 08:36 PM) *
C'mon, 3/4 of the guys playing tonight are gone or headed to PS.
Name me a 2nd or 3rd round DB that was ready to play their first season?
Rowe has the talent, the pick tonight showed a flash of it, he just needs more schooling.
Ajirrotutu(?) will never be on the field as a real WR, but he showed you his ST value tonight when he downed a punt at the Jet's 2.

In all the years of watching the 4th preseason games, I never remember a drafted rookie looking tis bad an ever amounting to much.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 3 2015, 10:02 PM) *
Final Game Thoughts:

Our weaknesses are still the same ones from last season

The best way to stop a Chip Kelly offense is to keep the ball out of their hands. 3 out of 11 on 3rd down conversions and only 1 minute and 24 seconds of possession in the 3rd QTR... Ouch

Keeping our defense on the field with a heavy dose of run is also still too effective... 200+ yards on the ground and 14 out of 18 3rd down conversions... Ouch

Last up, the secondary still looks weak. We're one injury away from Rowe/Watkins starting at CB and judging from what I've seen from both of them... Ouch

ummm....they are all backups playing....you understand that....right?
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 3 2015, 09:27 PM) *

If our backups are worse than the backups of one of the worst teams in the NFL, that's a slight concern.

Not as bad if our starters struggled for sure, but not a good thing
Reality Fan
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 3 2015, 10:29 PM) *
If our backups are worse than the backups of one of the worst teams in the NFL, that's a slight concern.

Not as bad if our starters struggled for sure, but not a good thing

Hicks...Bair....Allen....played ok.....

Most of the secondary played poorly......it was that simple.....and in the 2nd half they played against a veteran Qb with talent......

not worried about it at all
JeeQ
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 3 2015, 07:27 PM) *

Clearly, but I saw these same things last season whenever we faced decent competition in the regular season... We still get taken to school by most teams over .500

1.) Time Of Possession: This is a Chip Kelly system issue and good teams abused us with this last season. That 3rd QTR was scarily reminiscent of the times teams would run 10+ minute long drives on us in the regular season. This isn't the first or last time we'll see an entire quarter where the Eagles only have the ball for 1-2 minutes

2.) 3rd Down Conversions: We're still the kings of the fastest 3 and out in the league and the kings of never letting an opponent's drive die. This was a regular season problem last year too and it's still rearing it's ugly head. I don't care who's in the game you can't let your opponent complete nearly 80% of it's 3rd down conversions. This defense struggles to get off the field and the longer the game goes the worse it gets

3.) Depth In The Secondary: Didn't have it last season, still don't have it this season... it's held together by a string at this point... it's one cog away from being as abysmal as last season
nephillymike
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 3 2015, 09:56 PM) *
Clearly, but I saw these same things last season whenever we faced decent competition in the regular season... We still get taken to school by most teams over .500

1.) Time Of Possession: This is a Chip Kelly system issue and good teams abused us with this last season. That 3rd QTR was scarily reminiscent of the times teams would run 10+ minute long drives on us in the regular season. This isn't the first or last time we'll see an entire quarter where the Eagles only have the ball for a 1-2 minutes

2.) 3rd Down Conversions: We're still the kings of the fastest 3 and out in the league and the kings of never letting a drive die. This was a regular season problem last year too and it's still rearing it's ugly head. I don't care who's in the game you can't let your opponent complete nearly 80% of it's 3rd down conversions. This defense struggles to get of the field and the longer the game goes the worse it gets

3.) Depth In The Secondary: Didn't have it last season, still don't have it this season... it's held together by a string at this point... it's one cog away from being as abysmal as last season

read my time of possession post as to why TOP doesn't matter
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 3 2015, 11:02 PM) *
read my time of possession post as to why TOP doesn't matter

He's just hatin', probably won't get much of a chance once the season starts.

Predicting that this team has the same faults as last year by watching mainly guys who won't even make the roster is just ludicrous. If you look at first team play this preseason, on both sides of the ball, there is visible improvement already. The rooks are rooks, they need to be eased into the lineup, even Algholor. If we can score 30+ a game, and with this O that is highly likely, then an average D is enough to win a lot of games.
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 3 2015, 10:56 PM) *

1.) Time Of Possession: This is a Chip Kelly system issue and good teams abused us with this last season. That 3rd QTR was scarily reminiscent of the times teams would run 10+ minute long drives on us in the regular season. This isn't the first or last time we'll see an entire quarter where the Eagles only have the ball for 1-2 minutes

2.) 3rd Down Conversions: We're still the kings of the fastest 3 and out in the league and the kings of never letting an opponent's drive die. This was a regular season problem last year too and it's still rearing it's ugly head. I don't care who's in the game you can't let your opponent complete nearly 80% of it's 3rd down conversions. This defense struggles to get off the field and the longer the game goes the worse it gets

It looked real bad through the first 3 games?

You take this from a game of no consequence with scrubs playing scrubs?

JeeQ
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 3 2015, 08:49 PM) *
It looked real bad through the first 3 games?

You take this from a game of no consequence with scrubs playing scrubs?

Basing it off everything I've seen so far from last season until now... We won't know for sure until the season starts but I'm banking on these 3 things to show up and hurt us this season if they're not corrected

TOP, 3rd Down Conversions, and the Secondary

I'll add a fourth item as well even though we didn't get to see it this preseason. Can Chip Kelly orchestrate clock-killing drives when it's time to put a team away? There were moments in the last two seasons where the team would be up by multiple scores going into the second half and completely lose it because we couldn't control the clock. He looked absolutely baffled when it came time to slow the game down. I'm anxious to see what he does in that situation this season

We all have our predictions; these are mine
mcnabbulous
Basically all of your concerns stem from the fact that last year we had shitty QBs and a RB that danced in the backfield. The end result was lots of 2nd and 3rd and longs and subsequently lots of three and outs.

Our team is built completely differently. At a bare minimum, Murray and Mathews will fall forward for 2-3 yards. Sam will routinely make quick, accurate throws to move the chains. Every issue you had with Chip's offense is exactly the same issue he had with it. Which is why your constant bitching about his personnel moves has made no sense.
JeeQ
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 4 2015, 06:16 AM) *
Basically all of your concerns stem from the fact that last year we had shitty QBs and a RB that danced in the backfield. The end result was lots of 2nd and 3rd and longs and subsequently lots of three and outs.

Our team is built completely differently. At a bare minimum, Murray and Mathews will fall forward for 2-3 yards. Sam will routinely make quick, accurate throws to move the chains. Every issue you had with Chip's offense is exactly the same issue he had with it. Which is why your constant bitching about his personnel moves has made no sense.

You think the roster improved... I think he rearranged the chairs on the Titantic

One of us will be right by the end of the season
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 4 2015, 11:45 AM) *
You think the roster improved... I think he rearranged the chairs on the Titantic

The players he dropped and picked up are dramatically different in skillset and style. There is nothing "rearranged" about what our offense will look like compared to the past two years.

Foles was dependent on Jackson's speed because his only success was predicated on big plays due to his inability to sustain drives. Shady was boom or bust who routinely put us in less than ideal second and third down situations.

It will be a lot different this year.
nephillymike
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 4 2015, 11:45 AM) *

Damn Jee, you're making me sound like Sunshine Harry.

You need an Axis card?
Reality Fan
QUOTE (JeeQ @ Sep 4 2015, 12:45 PM) *

I guess my confusion comes from trying to figure out how you arrived at that conclusion. Don't get me wrong, I respect your right to take that position....it just seems odd to me. They clearly changed the type of RB they value....completely different running style for both Murray and Matthews. They clearly are changing to a ball control/momentum offense from a homerun offense.

On defense they are concentrating on fast LBs and a defense that keeps everything in front of them.....I suppose you could say that every team is rearranging the seat s on the boat as names change but they have clearly changed their philosophy on both sides of the ball.
Zero
I'm not sure the 'changed' their philosophy as much as Kelly decided to accelerate the change.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.