Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rowe blows
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
xsv
Not ready to label him a bust yet, but definitely disappointed.
Eagle2720
QUOTE (xsv @ Sep 3 2015, 07:39 PM) *
Not ready to label him a bust yet, but definitely disappointed.

Was just about to post the same thing until I saw yours, I have hopes for him and hope it's still only because he's a rookie but he's getting exposed by no names and it's not even halftime yet
xsv
QUOTE (Eagle2720 @ Sep 3 2015, 07:44 PM) *
Was just about to post the same thing until I saw yours, I have hopes for him and hope it's still only because he's a rookie but he's getting exposed by no names and it's not even halftime yet

Falling down, fucking up in coverage. He's terrible right now. I hope we don't have to play him any time soon.
Eagle2720
QUOTE (xsv @ Sep 3 2015, 07:47 PM) *
Falling down, fucking up in coverage. He's terrible right now. I hope we don't have to play him any time soon.

Everyone(including me) was ready go give him the starting corner job opposite of Maxwell too
nephillymike
That is bad.

Embarrassingly bad to get schooled by scrubs.
mcnabbulous
He's a rookie
JeeQ
He got played out like a bitch today... #17 abused the fuck out of him on every down

He looked like Roc Carmichael out there
mcnabbulous
I realize it's hard for you guys to appreciate, especially if you don't watch much college ball, but the difference between what he was facing last year and in the preseason is dramatic.

Even the "scrubs" were likely as good as the best 3 guys he was on the field with last year. The physical component is secondary to the speed and mental things he is dealing with.

He's not playing football right now. He's reacting to everything around him, slowly. Give him a few weeks.
Joegrane
QUOTE (xsv @ Sep 3 2015, 07:39 PM) *
Not ready to label him a bust yet, but definitely disappointed....

My opinion continues to be that he looks like a S, not a CB. The guy has only played 1 year at CB, of course he will look over-matched.

... I hope we don't have to play him any time soon.

I strongly agree, if you are talking about at CB.

The kid looks like he has all of the physical tools to be a good S. He usually tackles well. He has made plays on special teams. I think he'll be a very good S some day, the type that the Eagles like, someone who has some cover abilities.
nephillymike
As Mayock was saying during the broadcast,

If you put the kid out there against Matty Ice, he will eat him for lunch.

I sit him early on. He forced a fumble after getting beat early in PS and he made one play on ST's.

Can't play him yet. Maybe the multi position thing stunted his growth.
Zero
QUOTE (Joegrane @ Sep 4 2015, 12:29 AM) *
My opinion continues to be that he looks like a S, not a CB. The guy has only played 1 year at CB, of course he will look over-matched.

I strongly agree, if you are talking about at CB.

The kid looks like he has all of the physical tools to be a good S. He usually tackles well. He has made plays on special teams. I think he'll be a very good S some day, the type that the Eagles like, someone who has some cover abilities.

Agree completely. He's been a S who is learning CB against NFL players. I thought S would be the best place for him, and maybe next year either the light goes on and he stops thinking or Shepard is CB and Rowe is S. Can they count on Thurmon staying healthy?
GroundedBird
I think Rowe was moved around a lot during training camp too. Perhaps they are finding the best position for him.

Who knows... maybe he moves to Safety and Thurmond goes back to CB.

Chip is really trying to make them all interchangeable anyway.
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (GroundedBird @ Sep 4 2015, 09:36 AM) *
I think Rowe was moved around a lot during training camp too. Perhaps they are finding the best position for him.

Who knows... maybe he moves to Safety and Thurmond goes back to CB.

Chip is really trying to make them all interchangeable anyway.

Don't think Thurmond is moving, but agree with the interchangeable piece.
mcnabbulous
Do you guys remember how good and ready to contribute Sheldon Brown was his rookie year?
Zero
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 4 2015, 02:41 PM) *
Do you guys remember how good and ready to contribute Sheldon Brown was his rookie year?
I don't ac6.gif I'm assuming not too much.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 4 2015, 01:41 PM) *

Sheldon was the more polished of the two compared to Lito.

Weren't both of them in backup roles for a year or two?

And Sheldon put a wicked hit on the DAL return guy in a home opener that was awesome.

I don't think he was counted on for the slot CB, I think we had Harris for that. And he was a heck of a lot better than Rowe. He wasn't getting schooled by scrubs!!
Birdwatcher
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 4 2015, 08:07 PM) *
Sheldon was the more polished of the two compared to Lito.

Weren't both of them in backup roles for a year or two?

And Sheldon put a wicked hit on the DAL return guy in a home opener that was awesome.

I don't think he was counted on for the slot CB, I think we had Harris for that. And he was a heck of a lot better than Rowe. He wasn't getting schooled by scrubs!!

Yup, we still had Vincent and Taylor. There are very few college CBs ready to play in the NFL right away, I could see them move Thurmond to the slot in the nickel and maybe use Rowe at S, at any rate, he is a work in progress.
Reality Fan
Sheppard started 9 games in year 2.....Brown started 3 in year 2......Brown played in all 16 as a rookie and Lito played in 12 games as a rookie....

Both needed time to shine
nephillymike
QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Sep 4 2015, 07:45 PM) *
Sheppard started 9 games in year 2.....Brown started 3 in year 2......Brown played in all 16 as a rookie and Lito played in 12 games as a rookie....

Both needed time to shine

I am not arguing that they needed time to shine, only that they never sucked against the scrubs!!
mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 4 2015, 07:59 PM) *
I am not arguing that they needed time to shine, only that they never sucked against the scrubs!!

You remember what they looked like in coverage during their rookie year preseason?
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 4 2015, 08:20 PM) *
You remember what they looked like in coverage during their rookie year preseason?

I remember being very happy with how they played.

do you ever remember a DB who played in his rookie preseason who has looked as bad against 2nd-3rd-4th and 5th team players who ever became a solid starter?

I agree Rowe may get schooled against the starters and maybe veteran 2nd teamers. But last night was beyond acceptable.
mcnabbulous
The guys he was playing last night were all at the upper echelon of guys he faced in college. Calling them scrubs is stupid. They were good enough to make it to an NFL training camp.

It's really not a big deal. The game just needs to slow down for him.
nephillymike
QUOTE (mcnabbulous @ Sep 4 2015, 08:28 PM) *
The guys he was playing last night were all at the upper echelon of guys he faced in college. Calling them scrubs is stupid. They were good enough to make it to an NFL training camp.

It's really not a big deal. The game just needs to slow down for him.

Question:
What do you call a player who doesn't play well against the upper echelon of guys who faced in college who are not good enough to be 1st or 2nd team players in the NFL?

Answer:

A DB who should not be anywhere near the defensive backfield on opening night vs. Atlanta

Sorry to be harsh and I hope he turns it around. Seems like a good enough kid.

But Chip made it so that we NEED him to be a decent 3rd CB. He not only isn't decent, he's been horrendous!

You do understand that we NEED him to be decent this year, right?

You're B. Davis, where do you put him in the DB rotations in game 1?

mcnabbulous
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 4 2015, 08:34 PM) *
Question:
What do you call a player who doesn't play well against the upper echelon of guys who faced in college who are not good enough to be 1st or 2nd team players in the NFL?

Answer:

A DB who should not be anywhere near the defensive backfield on opening night vs. Atlanta

Sorry to be harsh and I hope he turns it around. Seems like a good enough kid.

But Chip made it so that we NEED him to be a decent 3rd CB. He not only isn't decent, he's been horrendous!

You do understand that we NEED him to be decent this year, right?

You're B. Davis, where do you put him in the DB rotations in game 1?

Most rookie DB's aren't anywhere near the field on opening night their rookie year. Unlike when Andy was here, Chip walked into a bare closet in our defensive backfield. We're still about a year away from having adequate depth back there.

Despite what you think/believe, Boykin wasn't very good last year. And he obviously didn't fit into the long-term plans here. He wasn't able to play the press, physical style that our coaches want. So we could have kept him, and continued to have been limited in the scheme the coaches want to play...or we could move on, roll with the next guys up.

Yes, we lack depth at corner. We're also dramatically better in our front seven than when Chip took over. That will help.

He'll get better as the season progresses. Relax.
Reality Fan
I can say with absolute certainty that I have no memory of how any dbs have played in the preseason for their rookie year....I expect them to look a little lost....

I certainly do not remember Brown or Sheppard......and I don't pay enough attention to anybody in game 4 which is usually a snoozer...I do seem to recall the Eagles usually losing a lot in the preseason because Andy could care less about Ws in the preseason...(he had 1 winning preseason for his first 10 years) That tells me plenty of rookie DBs got beat in the preseason....

In their rookie year in game 4, a 23-16 loss to the jets, ironically, Brown and Sheppatd combined for 1 tackle and 2 assists....and a 36 yd. TD to super WR Andrew Cash in the first Quarter so I assume they were on the field at the time.........yeah, I have no clue who he was either....lol

take a deep breath
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.