Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I don't think Chip needs/wants a running QB anymore
Eagles Forum > Philadelphia Eagles Message Board > Philadelphia Eagles or Football Related Discussion
Birdwatcher
Bradford was never a pawn in the 'Mariota' saga, Chip knew there was no way to go from 20 to 2, but it did keep the media distracted. I really think Chip knew Bradford was his guy, he had all but one attribute he wanted...running the ball. I also think that as an NFL coach he has learned that running QBs are in too much danger, so Bradford is the next best thing. Character-High. Football IQ- High. Ability to see the field-High. Quick and accurate release, he has it all. If Bradford plays 16 games I suspect we will be breaking all sorts of NFL records this year.
mcnabbulous
I tend to agree with most of this. Not so sure about NFL records, but I think Sam will star in this offense.

He's exponentially better than Foles.
nephillymike
I think Sam will do well in our offense.

I think he will be a top two tier QB who can lead us to the SB if other areas are strong enough.

I think that Chip would have shipped him off to TEN faster than Eyrie to a tent catchers convention if he could have gotten Mariotta.

As far as the running QB thing, here's what we need to remember.

We run the read option look to give our offense the competitive advantage of taking the DE end out of the run game and creating mismatches along the offensive line.

Even if we are running that look without calling an option for the QB to keep the ball, it creates a mesh point that is significantly longer in time than a regular hand off and as we recently learned, gives a greater period of time for the QB to be hit legally.

If defenses do not respect the option, either because our QB doesn't run, or because we bastardize the system by shortening the mesh point or doing away with the look and going straight regular hand off, then we lose a numbers game in our run game and we have to run against even numbers rather than running against one less defender (the DE being out of the picture)

Running against even numbers, our run game efficiency will go down.

When you run even numbers, you like to make the numbers more in your favor by adding a FB. We won't do that.

Is our running game productive enough and is our OL good enough to run it even up? I don't know. We were good in year past but the read option gave us a nice advantage.

How to defend us?

Hit Bradford on every read option look so that we come out of that look out of concern for his health.

Hope your D can defend man on man even up blocking at least to a hold your own level.

Once the run game is at an average level, blitz and play straight up D expecting the DB;s to cover good enough, or at least to the point that you can get a pass rush to disrupt it.

Personally, I wouldn't change a thing, other than have Bradford be more alert on hand offs. It's too big of a competitive advantage do change IMO.
Speed_Kills
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 2 2015, 11:11 PM) *
How to defend us?

Hit Bradford on every read option look so that we come out of that look out of concern for his health.

See I just don't buy in to this theory and I'll tell you why. The Seahawks have gone to the last 2 SB's with a 5'10" QB who runs the read option at will and I cannot recall him EVER being hit when he handed off...EVER.

This is a copy-cat league for sure, and I have read Carroll's "Concerns" after the Suggs hit on Sam but I simply do not believe teams will implore this tactic, for one "main" reason that they KNOW Sam will never be caring the ball in these situations and with the dynamic play makers the Eagles have in the back field are defenses REALLY going to give up a defender on these plays? Really? They are going to play this offense 10 against 11 so they can hit the QB?

Also, and this is something far too many Eagle fans (and non Ram fans for that matter) simply do not understand - Sam Bradford is one very tough dude. He has been battered relentlessly in his tenure as a Ram and gotten up each and every time. He missed ONE PLAY in his career (@ Arizona a few years back) after being hit hard and was right back in and threw 2 long TD's later in that game to bring the rams back to victory.

His ACL tears to me where both flukes, the first he wasn't expecting to get pulled sideways so he let up because he was stepping out of bounds (in Carolina) and the 2nd last PS in Cleveland he got caught straight-legged and the DL sort of hyper-extended him backwards. NEITHER were brutal hits in the least.
nephillymike
QUOTE (Speed_Kills @ Sep 3 2015, 05:08 AM) *
See I just don't buy in to this theory and I'll tell you why. The Seahawks have gone to the last 2 SB's with a 5'10" QB who runs the read option at will and I cannot recall him EVER being hit when he handed off...EVER.

This is a copy-cat league for sure, and I have read Carroll's "Concerns" after the Suggs hit on Sam but I simply do not believe teams will implore this tactic, for one "main" reason that they KNOW Sam will never be caring the ball in these situations and with the dynamic play makers the Eagles have in the back field are defenses REALLY going to give up a defender on these plays? Really? They are going to play this offense 10 against 11 so they can hit the QB?

Also, and this is something far too many Eagle fans (and non Ram fans for that matter) simply do not understand - Sam Bradford is one very tough dude. He has been battered relentlessly in his tenure as a Ram and gotten up each and every time. He missed ONE PLAY in his career (@ Arizona a few years back) after being hit hard and was right back in and threw 2 long TD's later in that game to bring the rams back to victory.

His ACL tears to me where both flukes, the first he wasn't expecting to get pulled sideways so he let up because he was stepping out of bounds (in Carolina) and the 2nd last PS in Cleveland he got caught straight-legged and the DL sort of hyper-extended him backwards. NEITHER were brutal hits in the least.

The league ended the read option from RG3's repertiore. I think that with the Blandino tape coming right out and saying it is legal, it will empower defenses to employ this tactic. It is not Bradford's fear you have to arouse, but that of his coach, which I would guess is an easier task. I hear you on giving up a man on the play to do that, but really, many times a man is given up because he reads the wrong option anyway.

There's a highlight Rocky video posted on this site. The scariest thing for me after watching that is when you see the second ACL tear. That was an ordinary hi, and one you wouldn't think would result in injury. I would think a QB gets hit like that a few times each year, at least.
Zero
Also, you have players like Suggs who will stretch the rule in an attempt to take the QB out of the game. If Bradford is consistently as good as he showed last week, players like Suggs will use the league's interpretation of the read option as an excuse to gain an advantage for their side. Most players won't try to hurt another player, then there are those like Suggs.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (nephillymike @ Sep 2 2015, 11:11 PM) *
As far as the running QB thing, here's what we need to remember.

The only thing we need to remember about running QBs is that they don't win SBs.
Dr. Claw
QUOTE (SAM I Am @ Sep 3 2015, 07:42 AM) *
The only thing we need to remember about running QBs is that they don't win SBs.

Steve Young, Russell Wilson (should have been 2, but cheaters)
Wheeljack
QUOTE (Zero @ Sep 3 2015, 06:58 AM) *
Also, you have players like Suggs who will stretch the rule in an attempt to take the QB out of the game. If Bradford is consistently as good as he showed last week, players like Suggs will use the league's interpretation of the read option as an excuse to gain an advantage for their side. Most players won't try to hurt another player, then there are those like Suggs.

If he's still on the Ravens next year, and so is Bradford... I can't wait to see the Eagles blow them out
mcnabbulous
There is a difference between running QB's and QB's who can run. Chip would love the latter, but it's not essential to his success.
SAM I Am
QUOTE (Dr. Claw @ Sep 3 2015, 11:58 AM) *
Steve Young, Russell Wilson (should have been 2, but cheaters)

I stand corrected, 2 out of 48 have.

Of course, out of those 48 SBs, quite a few of those immobile stiffs have won more than one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.